You know this already but I will say it anyway. Your build is turning out great because you have a high attention to detail. You’ll wring your hands over every mistake but in the end, the pack will look fantastic and you’ll forget about the little mistakes.

EMBRACE THE OCD! [emoji16]
Haha you are not wrong! The thing that's tripping me up is that I've done a lot of vector illustration and I'm used to being able to get everything spot on to the millimeter which just isn't really possible for me in the physical realm. Once I get this beast done I'll have long forgotten these little bits I'm stressing over!
The bits that pee you off most when building often tend to be the bits that you love the most when you’re all done. Like Bish said, this is turning out great
H2Ghost liked this
By H2Ghost
Update! New bits!

I went to a local military surplus shop and found a proper Alice frame. It has all the military markings on it and weighs about twice as much as that other frame. Much tougher, much better.

I also got some nice Nick-A-Tron spacers. I really need to go back and update my shopping list.

I've started going in and making measurements for the frame holes based on Stephen Otto's plans.

This is the "dry" layout of the frame on the motherboard. I'm going to go back and double-check my research but I think it looks about right.
twmedford23 liked this
Don't sweat it, every pack has at LEAST one foul up, I cannot tell you how many foul words were said over my hero build. Everyone is looking great!
H2Ghost liked this
By H2Ghost
Thanks, guys! I appreciate the support. Even stressing the little bits this is still a lot of fun.

Update: The frame is attached! This went much more smoothly than I had expected and I'm happy with the results. No, really! It's attached with carriage bolts, spacers and wingnuts. There's a little bit of a space between the motherboard and the upper spacer but I think it's just because it isn't fully tightened down and because the spine of the frame isn't straight. I might go in and try to straighten it some or I may just leave it be.

'tis a hefty beast already so when the time comes I'm going to make sure everything is properly tight and secure the pack straps with rivets and or zip-ties.

Story Time:

Years ago, a chubby version of me got to meet Ernie Hudson. I was super-hungover due to an ill-advised night out with a girl I used to go to school with. I stood in line for four hours in front of a guy carrying a door from the Dukes of Hazard car who talked about nothing but the Ghostbusters flight suits. For four hours. Anyway, I get up to Ernie and ask for a picture and an autograph.

I'm fanboying out so hard that I can barely say a word but somehow we end up in a conversation not about Ghostbusters but about how Dennis Franz had died and what a shame it was. Dennis Franz who was, and is still, alive. I spent my 10 minutes with Ernie Hudson talking about the death of an actor who wasn't dead. :sigh:

By H2Ghost
Updates! I've had some time (and money) to spend on my pack so I've done some updates.

New bits:
Potentiometer - Amazon
PPD - Freeky Geeky
Beam Line - GBFans
Ribbon Cable Hold Down - GBFans
N-Filter - GBFans - This thing did not fit my pack at all. It was 1/4" too big. My shell is fit to Stephen Otto's plan so it should have been 2.75 in. I messed with expanding the area to fit it but I realized that it there would be a massive overhang. I'll fix that when the final piece ends up being bondod on. Blargh. My fault for not checking the size listed on the site. I'm either going to see if I can get a 2.75 in. N-Filter or a may just use the resin part Ben of Kent included. I dunno. I'll figure it out when I'm less annoyed. Another part for e-Bay, I guess.

On a brighter note, I got a length of 3/4 in. hose to test fit the clamp. Looking at it now, I stressed the millimeters the clamp was off-set WAY too much. With the hose installed it doesn't bother me at all. It kind of looks like it's meant to lean "up" a little.

Dry fit for the vacuum line hose:

Drilling the holes for the PPD was a pain in the butt but I figured it out. You can see the beam line attached and the brass bit installed.

The Potentiometer. I like this part. My knob is on order from Bionic Moon Labs and I can't wait to get it installed. I need to remember to put something in between the prongs. I remember posts mentioning that the knob might squish 'em.

I eyeballed where the ribbon cable clamp was supposed to go based on the Omni cover and some other reference photos. I kind of rammed through this part. I'm getting more confident in my abilities. I've also been watching Adam Savage on his Tested channel and finally realized that stressing the little things is a good way to drive yourself mad. Plus, paints and lights and such "hide the crimes" as he says.

Work looks great as always.

Definitely put something in the potentiometer shaft gap. Those are designed to act as a push on “spring fit.” If you use set screws with these the fork will compress and the knob may loosen. You can put a piece of flat metal in the gap or fill it with an epoxy like Milliput.

The BML grey crank knob has functional set screws. The Shore value of the resin used is sufficient for tapping and holding threads, just don’t over tighten as the material is not as hard as the authentic milspec knobs.
H2Ghost wrote:That's good to know. I've been trying to find an authentic knob but they are hard to find and overly expensive when I do.
Exactly the reason I decided to offer them. Supply is short and prices are insane.
H2Ghost liked this
By H2Ghost
Couple updates (cupdates?)

Got the Bionic Moon Labs knob installed. It is a really nice little piece. Well worth the money. The potentiometer really brings it to life.

The HGA is attached. That was easy.

This was less easy. I inset a neodymium magnet into a piece of dowel rod and inserted it into the vacuum hose. It attaches nicely to the top of the hex bolt. The *click* is extremely satisfying. I was going to do the same on the other end of the hose but it's in there really snug so right now I'm not worried about it.

Kingpin liked this
Looking good! A bit of advice though:

Bondo will not work well as an adhesive. Use 2 part epoxy resin and and/or epoxy putty. Mix it properly and your n filter shouldn't go anywhere. Personally, I would use epoxy with screws - over the top sure but you'll know it's completely secured.
H2Ghost liked this
Love seeing magnets!
By H2Ghost
twmedford23 wrote:Looking good! A bit of advice though:

Bondo will not work well as an adhesive. Use 2 part epoxy resin and and/or epoxy putty. Mix it properly and your n filter shouldn't go anywhere. Personally, I would use epoxy with screws - over the top sure but you'll know it's completely secured.
I did not know that! Thanks for the info! And over the top is good. I don't want anything going anywhere.
bishopdonmiguel wrote:Love seeing magnets!
Yeah, they work really well. I was glad I came across your build with them!
twmedford23 liked this
We're back! Life got in the way for a while but I'm finally able to get back to work on my pack. I got a little over-excited and missed pics on a few steps but here we go:

I got the booster plug attached and holes drilled for the ladder.

Ladder attached.

After thinking about it for a long time, I decided to go with the aluminum N-Filter. It overhangs a bit but I liked the bigger look of it so what the hell. I know I'm not the only one to do this and no two proton packs are the same (even in the movies) so, like I said, what the hell.

I over-opened the area a bit but then fixed it up with some apoxy & putty. It ain't pretty right now but I'll clean it up with some fine grit sandpaper after I'm sure it's fully formed.

The injectors are also attached now

And the clippard valve. I do so love these things
GohstTarp wrote: June 6th, 2018, 9:01 pm Just discovered this thread. Great work here, H2Ghost! Looking forward to seeing your thrower progress. Any plans to add a pop mech to make that green lever functional?
Ah! It has a pop mech! I forgot to mention that. CPU64s pop mech is a thing of beauty.

Venkman's Swagger wrote: June 7th, 2018, 4:48 am Great stuff mate. That thrower [emoji50]
Right?? I sing to it, I talk to it, I say supportive, nurturing things to it....
Great build so far. I love the attention to detail. I made lots of templates for my build as well, but I love how you made them on the computer for extra accuracy.

Did you end up experiencing any issues with the hole that you drilled for your ribbon cable (the one between the booster tube and the Clippard valve)? I think you should be fine, but keep us in the loop.

I'm looking forward to more pictures and updates. I can see from your work habits that this will be a great-looking pack. Keep up the good work!
Damn, I'm JEALOUS!!! :-D
canpara wrote: June 12th, 2018, 1:07 pm Great build so far. I love the attention to detail. I made lots of templates for my build as well, but I love how you made them on the computer for extra accuracy.

Did you end up experiencing any issues with the hole that you drilled for your ribbon cable (the one between the booster tube and the Clippard valve)? I think you should be fine, but keep us in the loop.

I'm looking forward to more pictures and updates. I can see from your work habits that this will be a great-looking pack. Keep up the good work!
I haven't had any trouble with it so far but I guess we'll find out! Out of curiosity, what's your concern with it? Did I put it in a bad spot?

Etigo wrote: June 13th, 2018, 5:19 am Damn, I'm JEALOUS!!! :-D
Haha Thanks!

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]