Hello all;

I love prop building and 3d printing and have decided to get super obsessive about my proton pack build. This will be my third proton pack and I want it to be as close to accurate as I can get it, so Im going to do it the hard way, by building the STLs from scratch.

I will use the Stephon pack blueprints as a reference and then use reference pictures from the Sony lobby packs (http://www.gbfans.com/equipment/reference/33/)and the Bill Murray hero pack (http://www.gbfans.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... o#p4899193) to get measurements using known dimensions to make 3d models for printing. I likely wont release the STL files, but I will make sure the measurements are available for people that want to use them.

Please post your input as I want to get this peer reviewed.

My first piece is the Cyclotron. I started with these known measurements from the sony pack.

I blew images up to full scale and then measured with a caliper when I could, created a scale if I couldn't.

Scale was created by knowing that (the measurement of image)*(scale) = (the known measurement)
for example if the known measurement of an object is 1", but the image shows it as .5", then I know that .5"*(scale)= 1" aka (scale) = 1"/.5" aka (scale)= 2.

For ring measurements, I got the following;

upper ring width 20/32= .626
upper ring inside 1-12/32
space between upper rings= .630"
total diameter roughly 2-20/32 = 2.626
depth roughly 3/16" .1875
lower ring width about 2.42"
lower ring hole same diameter as upper

Using these two images taken from the sony pack and the Murray pack, I got the cyclotron diameter, and spacing of the rings.

My math got a cyclotron diameter from the sony pack of 9.5"
Checking with Murray pack got me 9.6"
I decided that 9.5" seemed more logical and that matched with other measurements I has seen on the forums.

From Murray pack:
Distance between top rings is 1.64" (diameter is 2.626, so distance from centerline to center of lens is 2.133")
distance between lower rings are .8" (center line to center of lense is 1.61")

I drew lines connecting bottoms of top rings and again for lower rings. Distance is 3.6" since diameter of lenses are the same, that is distance from center point to center point. (1.8" from center)

I will have to make the assumption that the center point of all four rings is the center point of the cyclotron, but when I put it together it look about right.

I also had a lot of trouble finding an image from the sony pack that showed the rim of the cyclotron that wasnt distorted. I measured the width of the Murray pack to be about .5" and that matched with measurements from the Stephan pack as well other measurements, so Im going with that until I can find something more conclusive.

I measured the rounded edge on both packs and got around .4". I also measured the distance from the upper rings to said rounded edge and got about .1" on both packs. At .4" it was a little far away, so I changed it to .5" and its seems pretty close.

I have additional documentation about how I found the diameter of the N-filter, but it involves pulling from a few other sources and its getting late. I will continue it later. Until then, here is the cyclotron with the measurements I have gathered.

ccv66, Allghostsmatter liked this
Something a friend once told me about scaling from pictures, is take into account how far away each element of a given prop is from the lense of the camera.

For instance, whilst the measuring tape gives us a good standard for the scale and measurements of the rings surrounding the red cyclotron lenses, the scale and measurements of this element at the point they attach to the Cyclotron itself will differ drastically to the plane facing the camera, due to the depth and angle of the shot.
Likewise the Cyclotron's measurements will be distorted because it's further away, and in turn the spacer's measurements will be distorted even more.

No when I turn it off it still keeps firing even t[…]

Awesome! It's a complex but very fun build... Went[…]

Just to throw my experience in there. I've bough[…]

I haven't had Xbox Live for a while, but I'm consi[…]