By chris8414
Hello all, I am new here and a huge fan of the series just like everyone else. I needed some help and possibly pointed in the right direction. Like everyone here I dream of having my own proton pack with lights and sounds. Could someone point me in the right direction as to who I should talk to about getting one built. I'm not very handy when it comes to building things, so I would need someone to build one for me. I have seen these online going anywhere from $650-$2600, so any help would be much appreciated! I would love a pack that is highly screen accurate, and has all the bells and whistles. I look forward to talking to the community and meeting new fellow Ghostbusters.

Thanks for the help.
By Etigo
Hello Chris8414 and welcome to this forum.
Is it posible to get a clearer introduction from you, please?
The reason is simple.
If we know where you are (well, we don't need your postal address LOL :-P), it will be easier for everybody to suggest someone or some persons who lives not far from your house to help you... Or a prop builder.
If you know what I mean!!! :-D
By Etigo
Here it is!!! :-D
viewforum.php?f=63
By Etigo
So you're looking for an already built screen accurate Pack, right?
I have a few question to ask you.
-Do you want a Proton Pack to put it in your house only, or would you like to wear it for events, or parade?
-Would you like it resistant?
-Would you like it light weight?
-When you said a Built one, do you mean a totally built and shipped one, or do you know someone who got some skills and who could build for you???
By chris8414
Sorry I did not see your reply, here are the answers to your questions.

The proton pack will be used for events, and for Halloween purposes.
Yes it needs to be resistant.
Not really worried about weight, as the alice frame will help out.
Yes, I do not have to tools, or the time to build one myself. So I'm looking for some help maybe a prop builder here that builds them professionally.
By Etigo
Ok, sorry my late reply...
So, you got a lot of choice:
-Either you choose an Anovos Pack for the simplicity to mount by yourself. The only thing is that you will have to wait a long time.
-Or you choose to buy the elements on differents props Builders or sellers, Like GB Fans, Karnivorous Creations, Studio Creations, FreekyGeeky, Eugenious Props, Nick-A-Tron, Benofkent, CPU64, Vincenzo or another one, but don't forget 2 THINGS: buy the Shell and the Motherboard from the SAME PERSON, and you have to find someone who could work on your Pack for you.
I can suggest you not to buy from Bob's Propshop or Viking Props, it's not only because they're blacklisted. On the Viking Props, even if it's a Cheap Complete Pack, if you're looking for a CLEAN Finished Pack, you will have to FINISH THE JOB. And a Bob's Propshop is, in my opinion, a very expensive Pack, 2999$ + shipping for a Pack with a Matty Toy Wand.

I suggest you to make a contact with a Ghostbusters Franchise close to your house... Maybe they could help you to find someone for this JOB!!! :-D

ANYWAY IF SOMEONE IS LOOKING FOR A PACK TO WORK ON IN CALIFORNIA, I HOPE FOR CHRIS8414 THAT SOMEONE WILL ANSWER THE CALL !!! :-D

AND IF ANYONE KNOWS A PROP BUILDER IN CALIFORNIA... PLEASE ANSWER THE CALL!!! :-D
Last edited by Etigo on June 28th, 2018, 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kingpin liked this
By Etigo
AWW, AND ANOTHER THING...
YOU HAVE TO TELL US WHAT KIND OF PACK YOU ARE LOOKING FOR...
A 1984 GB1 VERSION OR A 1989 GB2 VERSION!!! :-D
Last edited by Etigo on February 21st, 2019, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
By EgonMacGyver
Or you could possibly do what some of us in the community have done: you can get the Spirit Halloween pack and dress it up a little bit. I've ordered a v-hook conversion kit for mine and will eventually strap it onto an ALICE pack.
chris8414 wrote:Hello all, I am new here and a huge fan of the series just like everyone else. I needed some help and possibly pointed in the right direction. Like everyone here I dream of having my own proton pack with lights and sounds. Could someone point me in the right direction as to who I should talk to about getting one built. I'm not very handy when it comes to building things, so I would need someone to build one for me. I have seen these online going anywhere from $650-$2600, so any help would be much appreciated! I would love a pack that is highly screen accurate, and has all the bells and whistles. I look forward to talking to the community and meeting new fellow Ghostbusters.

Thanks for the help.
Check out Karnivorous Creations on Facebook. I'm getting my pack currently made by then and their prices for the amount of stuff you're getting with it isn't bad at all. Also check out BenOfKent or even Knowone251 in the "CLASSIFIEDS" section of the forum
By chris8414
I have reached out to Karnivorous Creations and Nickatron so far. Karnivorous Creations seems like a real possibility. I like Nickatrons packs, but he is overseas so shipping would be pricey. I appreciate everyone's feedback on this journey and everyone's feedback is welcomed here. Oh and I'm looking for a GB 1 pack. 😏👍 Can't knock the original!
By Etigo
You can also call these following franchises in California:

- Bay Area Ghostbusters:
https://www.facebook.com/TheBayAreaGhostbusters/

- Southern California Ghostbusters:
https://www.facebook.com/SoCalBusters/
www.gbofsc.com/

Maybe they can help you!!! :-D
Christof liked this
By Etigo
chris8414 wrote: June 28th, 2018, 8:55 am Oh and I'm looking for a GB 1 pack!
Nice information, indeed!!! :-D
By chris8414
Hello, Still packless here lol. Benofkent is not building them currently. He is a little pricey though. I am planing on having a full complete pack by this upcoming Halloween. I have spoke to a guy from knowonesdesigns and he has priced me @ about $1500 for a complete pack. Pack would be made out of Vacuum Formed ABS with his own parts made in house. It's just considered a full 1:1 replica. I found on on eBay for $1000 with metal parts and all the bells and whistles, but couldn't pull the trigger on it due to insufficient funds LOL So it slipped away from me. How is your pack searching going? Sorry I haven't replied sooner as I have been very busy with work and family.
By Kingpin
chris8414 wrote: January 8th, 2019, 8:43 pmHe is a little pricey though.
Building a Proton Pack isn't particularly inexpensive to begin with, and getting someone to build a Pack for you does come with a premium, but then you know that with people like Ben, you're getting a quality product.

Looking at the photos of knowonesdesigns product (Link), while the body of the Pack looks reasonably good, there are a number of things about the Proton Gun that strike me as wrong (thickness of the ears on the front barrel, how much gap there is between the end of the rear handle and the grip, the "hat light" covers, the knobs on the heatsink side of the Proton Gun, the position of the silver "trigger tip" on the clear plastic tube and the location of the switches on the Proton Gun body... I think Ben's offering is the better of the two.

An additional thought: from what I've been able to briefly read up on the topic, it's my understanding that fibreglass is note as being a bit stronger than ABS.
By chris8414
Hi, thanks for pointing out the problems with the wand. Those things I would have never caught. I love Ben's work but he is no longer building packs and they are way too expensive for me. I can't pull the trigger on a pack that is over $2000. It's just not in my budget so I have to spend what I have. Do you have any other suggestions on builders that are around $1600? What about Ted House from AZ Ghostbusters that built Greg Miller's pack from "Kinda Funny" on YouTube. Thanks for the help.
By Kingpin
Ted is proving surprising difficult to find any details on. His Twitter handle is "Hip Albatross", but I have no idea if he's taking commissions.

For what it's worth, I watched the Greg Miller Pack reveal and noted a few things from it:

•The metal trigger tip appears to only be held onto the frosted tube by friction, rather than glue or a mechanical fastening.
•Ted used a Dixie Hook for the Proton Gun, rather than a V-hook styled like the one used in the movies (This video was from a little over two years ago, so he may've upgraded since then - if he's still building Proton Packs).
•The body of the Proton Gun appears to be cast resin, which has led to the vent in the top of the Proton Gun to look a little on the large side.
•The Proton Gun has been given a ring loop for hooking it onto the belt fobs, rather than a metal S-hook. (This will provide it with greater security, but is less accurate)
•The green hose on the Proton Gun looks like it's a couple of inches longer than it should be, creating a larger "loop".
•The Proton Pack shell looks rather soft on the ridges and corners, suggesting it could be a ABS vacuumed shell, rather than a fibreglass one (though it could be the latter, depending on what the buck looked like when it was used to make the casts).
•The black coat on the Pack shell appears a little too shiny (lending a "plasticky" appearance) - something a bit closer to matt would probably be more accurate, but it's costumer's preference here.
•The black ribbed hose that goes from the "Spacer" into the "Gear Box" looks like it's a couple of inches too long, causing it to bulge out considerably from the side of the Gear Box.
•The grey pneumatic elbows should have been modified to remove or conceal the orange push fittings, as these weren't present either on the 1984 or 1989 Proton Packs.
•The end of the N-Filter is missing the decal/label detailing. In 1984 there would be a red circuit diagram and a large white warning label on the N-Filter. In 1989, the N-Filter didn't have the warning label, but did have the curcuit diagram.
•The tube section of the N-Filter appears to be missing both the red stripe detail, and even the holes for the filter.
•The red Cyclotron lights cycle counter-clockwise, they should rotate clockwise.
•The corner of the shell and motherboard behind the "H.G.A." should have a pronounced curve to it, the curve on the Pack Ted has built is so shallow/small it's practically a corner.
•The back of the "Trigger Box" on the Proton Gun has been left exposed, and you can see the wiring inside - these shouldn't be visible.
•The A.L.I.C.E. Frame appears to be mounted extremely close to the motherboard, resulting in there not being enough space for the third half-moon shaped spacer that's normally situated above the cross-bar of the frame. Because it appears to have been mounted so close, the two lower tubular spacers around the kidney pad region appear shorter than normal.
•The fins on the "Power Cell" should continue all the way down to where the shell touches the motherboard, on the Pack Ted built, they seem to stop about an inch or more (this and other anomolies about the shell elements may be resulting from it being an ABS vacuum pull).

Beyond those details I've mentioned, something seems off about the height of the Spacer, and the Cyclotron cover... It looks like the Spacer is too high, and the lip of Cyclotron cover is too shallow - with a further issue appearing to be that curve on the upper face of the cover appears to be to shallow/small. However, it's tricky to be sure based on the video.

Ted's Pack can serve as a good starter Pack, but given the big mistakes already present with the Cyclotron lights and the missing details on the N-Filter, I think you can get better elsewhere... And that's not even taking into account whether he's doing commissions.
By chris8414
Man you really know these packs! I like that about the cyclatron lights going counter clockwise as Bill Murray's did in both films. I'm looking for a replica pack, not an actual hero pack. So details won't be 100% accurate as this is going to be my first pack. Accuracy will have to suffer a little bit the first time around. When I'm able to have enough funds I will be looking for a hero pack.
By twmedford23
I cant argue with many of the inaccuracies pointed out but I can with one:

The cyclotron lights on Murray's and Hudson's hero packs do rotate counterclockwise.
Kingpin wrote: January 9th, 2019, 3:51 pm Ted is proving surprising difficult to find any details on. His Twitter handle is "Hip Albatross", but I have no idea if he's taking commissions.

For what it's worth, I watched the Greg Miller Pack reveal and noted a few things from it:

•The metal trigger tip appears to only be held onto the frosted tube by friction, rather than glue or a mechanical fastening.
•Ted used a Dixie Hook for the Proton Gun, rather than a V-hook styled like the one used in the movies (This video was from a little over two years ago, so he may've upgraded since then - if he's still building Proton Packs).
•The body of the Proton Gun appears to be cast resin, which has led to the vent in the top of the Proton Gun to look a little on the large side.
•The Proton Gun has been given a ring loop for hooking it onto the belt fobs, rather than a metal S-hook. (This will provide it with greater security, but is less accurate)
•The green hose on the Proton Gun looks like it's a couple of inches longer than it should be, creating a larger "loop".
•The Proton Pack shell looks rather soft on the ridges and corners, suggesting it could be a ABS vacuumed shell, rather than a fibreglass one (though it could be the latter, depending on what the buck looked like when it was used to make the casts).
•The black coat on the Pack shell appears a little too shiny (lending a "plasticky" appearance) - something a bit closer to matt would probably be more accurate, but it's costumer's preference here.
•The black ribbed hose that goes from the "Spacer" into the "Gear Box" looks like it's a couple of inches too long, causing it to bulge out considerably from the side of the Gear Box.
•The grey pneumatic elbows should have been modified to remove or conceal the orange push fittings, as these weren't present either on the 1984 or 1989 Proton Packs.
•The end of the N-Filter is missing the decal/label detailing. In 1984 there would be a red circuit diagram and a large white warning label on the N-Filter. In 1989, the N-Filter didn't have the warning label, but did have the curcuit diagram.
•The tube section of the N-Filter appears to be missing both the red stripe detail, and even the holes for the filter.
•The red Cyclotron lights cycle counter-clockwise, they should rotate clockwise.
•The corner of the shell and motherboard behind the "H.G.A." should have a pronounced curve to it, the curve on the Pack Ted has built is so shallow/small it's practically a corner.
•The back of the "Trigger Box" on the Proton Gun has been left exposed, and you can see the wiring inside - these shouldn't be visible.
•The A.L.I.C.E. Frame appears to be mounted extremely close to the motherboard, resulting in there not being enough space for the third half-moon shaped spacer that's normally situated above the cross-bar of the frame. Because it appears to have been mounted so close, the two lower tubular spacers around the kidney pad region appear shorter than normal.
•The fins on the "Power Cell" should continue all the way down to where the shell touches the motherboard, on the Pack Ted built, they seem to stop about an inch or more (this and other anomolies about the shell elements may be resulting from it being an ABS vacuum pull).

Beyond those details I've mentioned, something seems off about the height of the Spacer, and the Cyclotron cover... It looks like the Spacer is too high, and the lip of Cyclotron cover is too shallow - with a further issue appearing to be that curve on the upper face of the cover appears to be to shallow/small. However, it's tricky to be sure based on the video.

Ted's Pack can serve as a good starter Pack, but given the big mistakes already present with the Cyclotron lights and the missing details on the N-Filter, I think you can get better elsewhere... And that's not even taking into account whether he's doing commissions.

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]