By Gozerhead
Hi!
I'd like to spray paint my Spirit pack and have two questions.

1. Do I need to prime the plastic?

2. What is the best looking spray paint?

I have the pack, know to mask it, and have purchased an upgrade kit including a GB1 ribbon. I have chronic back issues, so the lighter the better. I will likely not add a heavier MDF type motherboard.

Thanks!
NickFame13 liked this
By Danzrboy77
You bet...I have the MDF MB as well and it is a little heavy. Probably in the 4-5 lb range. Good Luck..I was debating repainting mine as well and got lazy. Are u adding the Alice frame? Spongeface here on gbfans has a great kit that does not require a Mb be added.
By Gozerhead
Danzrboy77 wrote:You bet...I have the MDF MB as well and it is a little heavy. Probably in the 4-5 lb range. Good Luck..I was debating repainting mine as well and got lazy. Are u adding the Alice frame? Spongeface here on gbfans has a great kit that does not require a Mb be added.
I bought the Spongeface upgrade and have an Alice frame. My hope is to get it painted this week as I plan to use it mid month.
By JWils23
I'm in the middle of upgrading mine right now with Spongeface's kit and I painted mine flat black. I used Rust-oleum 2X ultra cover paint and primer in flat black, got it at Home Depot and it came out great. I'm going to work on dry brushing it tonight with some silver paint to give it a little of that worn look. There are a couple threads on here where guys have painted and upgrade their packs, definitely worth checking out!
jpetrutis81, NickFame13 liked this
By CosmoBubba
JWils23 wrote: August 1st, 2018, 6:56 pm I'm in the middle of upgrading mine right now with Spongeface's kit and I painted mine flat black. I used Rust-oleum 2X ultra cover paint and primer in flat black, got it at Home Depot and it came out great. I'm going to work on dry brushing it tonight with some silver paint to give it a little of that worn look. There are a couple threads on here where guys have painted and upgrade their packs, definitely worth checking out!
I used the same black paint for my Spirit pack, and I recommend it too. You've gotta really screw up to go wrong with it.

And this part was just personal preference, but I also painted the some of the silver parts (mainly the ion arm cap and the heatsink on the neutrona wand) with black Daler Rowney "Simply Acrylic" paint that I found at Walmart. Once the paint dried, I scratched it off in spots with my car keys to make those places look weathered.
NickFame13 liked this
By CosmoBubba
If you’re keeping the speaker holes visible after your modifications, you could maybe try putting toothpicks or something similar in them while you painted.

On the other hand, if you’re going to keep the speaker holes permanently hidden, I’d suggest just filling them with Bondo or some other kind of similar putty.
By JWils23
It looks like maybe you sprayed a little too heavy on the bottom which would explain the sheen, and maybe got too close which could be a reason for the bumps. Be sure to let it dry for a day or so too, mine had some shinier spots initially but once it dried completely they were gone. If I can figure out how to post pictures on here I'll put up some of mine right after I painted it and maybe someone else who's painted theirs can chime in if they had the same issues.
By JWils23
Got it going, unfortunately I didn't take a ton of pictures right after the base painting and then I was really only concerned with how the fake welds came out but you get the idea. Keep in mind that this was also after 24+ hours of dry time but you can see mine still has some imperfections here and there.

NickFame13, Kingpin liked this
By Gozerhead
JWils23 wrote:Got it going, unfortunately I didn't take a ton of pictures right after the base painting and then I was really only concerned with how the fake welds came out but you get the idea. Keep in mind that this was also after 24+ hours of dry time but you can see mine still has some imperfections here and there.

What paint did you use? Should I send it down and spray again?
By JWils23
I used the same paint that you did. How long has it been since you painted it? I would give it some time to dry and then see what it looked like before I painted it again. But you could definitely give it another light spray and see if that evens it out.
By Gozerhead
JWils23 wrote:I used the same paint that you did. How long has it been since you painted it? I would give it some time to dry and then see what it looked like before I painted it again. But you could definitely give it another light spray and see if that evens it out.
Two days, but it was humid so I brought it inside.
By JWils23
Gozerhead wrote: August 8th, 2018, 3:50 am
JWils23 wrote:I used the same paint that you did. How long has it been since you painted it? I would give it some time to dry and then see what it looked like before I painted it again. But you could definitely give it another light spray and see if that evens it out.
Two days, but it was humid so I brought it inside.
I wonder if the humidity played a part, I painted mine in the garage as well but I’m in Southern California so I wasn’t dealing with that. Since you brought it inside has the paint evened out or do you still have the shiny spots?
By JWils23
NickFame13 wrote: August 9th, 2018, 3:53 pm What did you use for the fake weld?
I just used hot glue and slowly tried to bead it out along wherever I wanted a weld. Make sure you go in the same direction all the way around whatever you're "welding" to make it consistent.
NickFame13 liked this
By JWils23
Gozerhead wrote: August 15th, 2018, 8:02 am Here is an update of how it looks. The ribbon replacement didn't go super smooth and there are a couple marks and wrinkles.

I also had some paint bleed onto a red cable.

I will mount to an Alice frame tomorrow and finish weathering the pack next week.Image
That came out awesome! I got some paint on my lines as well and just used a little nail polish remover to get it off. Just rub lightly so you don’t fade out the red. Where did you get the GB1 ribbon cable if you don’t mind me asking?
By Gozerhead
JWils23 wrote:
Gozerhead wrote: August 15th, 2018, 8:02 am Here is an update of how it looks. The ribbon replacement didn't go super smooth and there are a couple marks and wrinkles.

I also had some paint bleed onto a red cable.

I will mount to an Alice frame tomorrow and finish weathering the pack next week.Image
That came out awesome! I got some paint on my lines as well and just used a little nail polish remover to get it off. Just rub lightly so you don’t fade out the red. Where did you get the GB1 ribbon cable if you don’t mind me asking?
Thanks. Fincher on Facebook. I should have tried it with a GB2 cable as I ended up a little rough on this one.

I did wet sand and repaint parts. The only cosmetic I have left is swapping out the thrower cable. My stickers and v hook came today too!
By JWils23
Gozerhead wrote: August 15th, 2018, 12:18 pm
JWils23 wrote:
Thanks. Fincher on Facebook. I should have tried it with a GB2 cable as I ended up a little rough on this one.

I did wet sand and repaint parts. The only cosmetic I have left is swapping out the thrower cable. My stickers and v hook came today too!
Awesome thanks! I’ve been looking for a GB1 ribbon everywhere but have not had any luck. How did you like it once you sanded and repainted?
By Gozerhead
It looks better. I tried to get paint to weather it last night, but Walmart has been out of the paint for a week now. :(

I did manage to re-solder the speaker cables as they both snapped off. The wiring is so thin! I then cut the straps off and zip-tied to an Alice frame. We are camping at a resort that is doing "Halloween in August" this weekend, so I wanted to wear it.

Hopefully next week I can finish touching it up, weather it, and add stickers. I have stuff to make a motherboard this fall too, but am not in a rush until Spongeface has light sets for sale. I might upgrade the speaker and mount to the motherboard at that point.

My real wish is to have movie accurate lights and sound for October. I am really pleased, though, with how it looks and fits at this point. It is super light - which is a must for me and my horrible back.
JWils23 liked this
By JWils23
NickFame13 wrote: August 17th, 2018, 7:40 pm Gozerhead, have you checked the craft stores in your area for paint to weather the pack? I grabbed mine from Jo-Ann Fabric and Crafts.
I’ll second this, I got mine at Michael’s
Last edited by JWils23 on August 18th, 2018, 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]