By AndFisher
Hi guys. I got the super authentic looking aluminium wand knobs from the store, but I want to hook the top dial and right knob to potentiometers. Anyone done this, or have an idea how to achieve this? They are by default threaded to hex head bolts and I'm assuming I'll have to re-drill the holes in the knobs to accommodate the pot shafts. Even then, I'm unsure as to how I go about securing them to the knobs. Ideally I would like then to be not permanently stuck, ruling out expoxy, for instance. I thought about perhaps attaching the inside metal coupler you get with some plastic knobs designed for use with pots.

Any advice would be well appreciated!
By jreverhart
Howdy,

So there are 2 ways this can be achieved depending on what your looking to do. If you want the knobs to just turn but not actually run anything such as volume, then easiest way is to take a small file and file the threading off the bolt where it touches your knob and wand body, leaving the threads to be able to bolt it on this will allow the bolt to turn with the knob but still be held tight.

Option 2: if you want it work as a volume knob, you will have to drill the hole from the bottom of the knob bigger to actually fit the Potentiometer then drill and tap a very small set screw hole in the side of the knob. I would really only recommend doing it this way in the side knob on the wand body as its a little bigger space to work with and easier to hide the set screw.
By jreverhart
clarification regarding the 1st option, when you file it down, ONLY file off the threading that touches the knob and wand body leaving the threads at the bottom for a nut, you may need to get longer bolts than what comes with it.

my front knob, I actually cut the head of the nut off with a dremil superglued one end into the knob then filed off the threading then used loc tite when using a nut to bolt it on ( i couldn't find a locking nut that small) works perfect but you have to be careful if you file off to many threads it will not be able to be tight but may be fixable by adding some small washers. I put my screw in tight, then hit it with a blast of spray paint to get my line. you could also use a marker i suppose
By AndFisher
Thanks for your response jreverhart. I do indeed want to hook the side knob as a volume control, and the top dial will control the power of the stream, as I imagine would be the case on a "real" wand. I might try drilling the small grub screw into the side as you suggested. If I go this route, I'll just have to try my best to make it discrete.

I cut out the middleman and sprayed my pack and ba[…]

I'm hoping we'll see another set when the next F[…]

Hey, anyone else playing this game? I want to find[…]

GBFANS Ghostlabs light kit

When you say you only have the proton pack light k[…]