FOR SALE
Above link is to the classifieds For sale post for these shells

I've been out of the pack building for a while, but earlier this year I got the urge to have one again, but this time I wanted to mold/ cast my own. For my first huge molding/casting project, I'm pretty proud of myself.
This is the proton pack I choose
Miley's pack
His pack is 90% scale, however I want to note that I knew I would be molding and casting this file, so I made modifications to it to make it easier to pull casts and as close as I could get to 100% scale so people could buy parts and it would fit. I increased the size by a little bit to be closer to the Hero Shell, but didn't get it quite right. I have pics at the end of this post to show how close it is.
Turns out I didn't take any good photos of the raw print :( But further down I have a good underside view in the mold lol
Sanding and filling!
Molding, I used rebound 25
The Jacket
The bottom (with original 3d print inside)
And the cast!

I was quite pleased with the results! This first run was purely fiberglass resin, then Fiberglass cloth on top of it. My next one will be using a Gel layer, epoxacoat, then glassing it.

But it turned out alright!

My cast could have been a little cleaner, but time is running out before Halloween and I wanted to get it done and put together :)
The pack ended up being maybe 1/4" off in height, so the motherboard I got from the shop here goes a little bit past the bottom of the pack. Most everything else lines up pretty well. I got permission from the modeler of the 3d files I used to do a limited run of selling casts. Selling at $125 + shipping cost to cont. US. Like I said, this run will be limited and since they are not the perfect size, perfect texture, etc, etc, I won't charge as much as the store here. If you're looking for an alternative to some more expensive packs, this run will be for you!
PM me if you are interested
Video!
Youtube video of my pack

Ok so I said before that this shell is not 100% screen accurate, as it is a little small. Below are is the best way to show it. I took pictures of my completed pack, just to show how the motherboard sticks out just a bit.

It isn't off by much, probably due to slight shrinking of 3d printed material

Sellers disclaimer
Any buyer is getting pretty close to a raw cast. I'll clean it some, trim excess off, but holes will need to be cut by buyer. Also note that there could be some areas inside that shell that I missed and are hardened fiberglass points. Be careful! I'm gonna try to sand down any pokey bits.
Additionally, it looks like my mold was not quite level, so the casts don't sit flat. I have tested and tested, and they will be fine to mount to a motherboard without breaking. I'm going to try to level my mold out.
Last edited by John Moody on November 27th, 2019, 9:58 am, edited 8 times in total.
ghostengineer wrote: December 31st, 2018, 1:06 pm Are you still selling these shells?
I actually haven't had time to mold any yet. The weather here has been really crummy and any good days I've been spending time with my daughter.
I plan on getting some solid casts and posting them here. Once they are made and gone, that will be it.
Ok so I know it's been a while, but I am actually about to pull some more casts. I had my epoxacoat and was just lazy. I know it's getting close to halloween, but the limited run will be $125 per raw shell.

I will upload plenty more pics, but this is not a perfect/ screen accurate shell. They are very close and do still fit the motherboard sold here in the store. They're just slightly small on the motherboard.
The final product to me is still great, with a few imperfections.
If you are looking for as close to screen accurate as you can get, my shells aren't for you. If you're looking to make a pack on a budget that still looks dang good, then send me a message :)
I will not be taking any orders until I have them ready to ship and pictures showing they are on hand and ready to be packaged up and shipped.
pics
Epoxacoat

More pics of my finished pack

2nd coating of Epoxacoat, I know it doesn't look that different than the first coat. Basically beefed up all the vertical walls. Next I'll do fiberglassing
Last edited by John Moody on November 27th, 2019, 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
twmedford23 liked this
Lowberg wrote: September 19th, 2019, 5:57 am Wow man! That's fantastic! 3d printed packs are great but there's nothing like a good ol fiberglass shell! And the journey of making your own mold and castings! Very cool!
Yeah I had a blast from printing, smoothing and finishing the print, to molding and casting :)
First pull is up. Gonna patch a few air bubble areas and cut the sides off, then it's ready for purchase. Buyer will need to drill out all other holes (cyclotron, power cell, hole for wire loom to particle thrower)
I will not be putting this in the for sale section (or taking any money for that matter) until they are ready to ship.
$125+ shipping
Spot putty!
Video Below
Pulling the cast
Last edited by John Moody on November 27th, 2019, 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
NotSabbat wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 1:31 pm Im a bit curious as to how much the materials to make the mold cost.
Rebound 25 from The Engineering Guy
The silicone I used for the mold is Rebound 25. The 2x1 Gallon kit is was enough to make the mold. In hindsight, I should have made a matrix mold.
2nd pull is here. It is a mix of fiberglass resin and Epoxacoat, then finally fiberglass for reinforcement.

The reason it's greenish looking is due to the mix of the resin color and the grey epoxacoat.

Video of the pull
Pulling the cast
NotSabbat liked this
Packs 1&2 are primed. Gonna add black then they'll be ready. I sanded and filed down most the points the fiberglass cloth leftover on the inside on packs 1 & 2, but I'm sure I didn't get them all.
Pack 3 is curing, soon to be pulled. I swapped to fiberglass mat instead of fiberglass cloth on pack 3 and there's such a huge difference, positive difference. Doesn't look like hardly any pointy bits are there.ImageImage
Mat wrote: September 30th, 2019, 8:25 pm Awesome work! Also if you're burning out dremmel's you might want to invest in an electric die grinder. It's similar to a dremmel but waaaaaaay more powerful! :)
I haven't burned out a dremel motor in I dunno how long. It probably just got a bunch of dust and fiberglass fiber inside and I didn't clean it out properly. I think I've had this one for a few years now.
    Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]