Long time no post.

So, for a long time I've wanted to build a Ghostbusters Super Hero proton pack, the issue being there is little to no information about how it looked in 1983. Going off a limited amount of screen captures from the film, behind the scenes screen grabs and lots of evaluation of the Super Hero pack as it sits now I believe I have enough information to recreate this pack.

I've also spent the last three or four years acquiring some of the best parts that the community can offer. I'm still awaiting additional parts but here's a highlight of some of the great parts:

Shell:
Chris Bosh Shell

Vintage Parts:
Vintage Heat Sink
Vintage Clippard R-331
Vintage Clippard R-701
Vintage Clippard Hex Fittings
Vintage Sloan LED "Milky" white Hat Light
Vintage Sloan LED Orange Hat Light (gun ear)
Vintage Pneumatic Hoses
Vintage Resistors
Vintage Legris Straights
Vintage LC-1 Frame
Vintage LC-1 Straps
Vintage Raytheon Gray Crank Knob

Production Lineage Parts:
Bumper
Booster Frame
Gun Grips

Aluminum Parts (Freeky Geeky):
Ion Arm
Booster Tube
N-Filter
HGA
PPD
Beam Line
Filler Tube
V-Hook
Wand (gun track, box, instrument bar, trigger box, gun ears, pop mechanism, etc.)

GBfans Parts:
Ion Arm Cap (Ghostbusters II Style)
Vac Tube Plug
Gear Box Label
Bumper Label
Mounting L-Brackets
Acrolytic Lamp Covers (red & clear)
Wand Knobs

Other Parts:
Nick-A-Tron Frame Spacers
Joe Luna Labels
Mack's Factory Bellow
Fincher Tech Ribbon Cable & Legris Elbows

Comparison of my real heat sink with a replica.
Super Hero XLR Plate & Power Cell Light Bracket:

Dry fit of the wand parts, instrument bar is backwards, and incorrectly drilled. Had to order a new one.

Production lineage bumpers:

Test fit of GBFans knobs:

Test set of aluminum parts, unfortunately Freeky Geeky's vac tube was too small and a new one was ordered from gbfans:

Super Hero ugly weld between the booster tube and ion arm:

Painted Ion Arm & Booster tube:

Completed HGA:

Last time this vintage heat sink serial number would ever be seen:

Started on wand paint, vintage hat light pictured.

Installed vintage straights:

Some items to note:
- All the knobs on the wand are black, the rear cylinder will remain exposed aluminum.
- Top Wand sunk hat light is orange not white
- No bar graph transfer on wand or slo-blo decal (trigger decals will be applied once electrics are in)
- One side painted gun box bottom plate & gun track
- Cyclo Ring Dimples Filled in
- Bumper Installed Backwards as seen in 1984
- Correct pack decal application
- Painted over washers on bumper hex cap bolts

The only item I am unsure of if it was on the proton wand is the diagram dry rub, there is no evidence of the dry rub being there as the pack sits today, but I needed a little bit more color on that side of the wand, and no one can say I am wrong. ;)
Last edited by Dan AKA on June 18th, 2020, 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Glenn Frederick, RedSpecial, JWils23 and 5 others liked this
Received my vac tube from GBFans and some missing labels, went ahead and put those on, still missing the N-filter from Freeky Geeky.

Mobo is coming along, need to redrill out the L-brackets for the powercell and gun mount, but I love the black to marker fluid blue transition.

Last edited by Dan AKA on June 18th, 2020, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
mburkit, JWils23, twmedford23 and 3 others liked this
After following these threads and seeing your Facebook posts I can’t help but wonder if this is why Murray hated wearing the packs so much. If he spent a lot of time wearing the Super Hero with no spacers and no neck foam I could definitely see why he’d never want to put one on again!
Dan AKA, NotSabbat liked this
Mattb1Stantz wrote: May 21st, 2020, 7:22 am Where are the spacers between mobo and shell?
The Super Hero pack had no spacers between the mobo and frame during the filming of Ghostbusters.
JWils23 wrote:After following these threads and seeing your Facebook posts I can’t help but wonder if this is why Murray hated wearing the packs so much. If he spent a lot of time wearing the Super Hero with no spacers and no neck foam I could definitely see why he’d never want to put one on again!
No neck foam, no spacers to distribute weight AND the shoulder straps were put on the wrong sides - I think this pack is EXACTLY why Bill Murray hated wearing the packs so much.
JWils23 liked this
Oh wow I didn’t see the straps on backwards, that would be the cherry on top! How do you get the straps on backwards?? Yea I can’t imagine why he hated wearing the packs so much haha
JWils23 wrote: May 21st, 2020, 4:23 pm Oh wow I didn’t see the straps on backwards, that would be the cherry on top! How do you get the straps on backwards?? Yea I can’t imagine why he hated wearing the packs so much haha
You just put the right strap on the left hand side and vice versa.
Mattb1Stantz wrote:
Dan AKA wrote: May 21st, 2020, 2:16 pm

The Super Hero pack had no spacers between the mobo and frame during the filming of Ghostbusters.

Are u sure?

Where I can found this refence?
Yes, I am absolutely 100% positive. There is a Super Hero research thread I compiled at the top of this forum, as well as have shared this information on Facebook on my Harsh Hobbies, Inc. page, Ghostbusters: How to Build a Proton Pack page and on Spengler's 1984 Workbench. I've researched this pack and it's original 1983 configuration significantly, not to be a prat but probably more than anyone.
Austin wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 10:28 pm I can't see any of the photos in this thread for some reason. So I'm just gonna say that it needs more hot glue.
This is something I've noticed with images that get linked to via Facebook, they have a brief shelf life before they stop displaying here. :(
That's why I'm a psychopath that still pays for photobucket.
Kingpin wrote: May 24th, 2020, 3:30 pm
Austin wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 10:28 pm I can't see any of the photos in this thread for some reason. So I'm just gonna say that it needs more hot glue.
This is something I've noticed with images that get linked to via Facebook, they have a brief shelf life before they stop displaying here. :(
Well now that's just wrong. I really hate photobucket. What alternatives do other people use ?
Kingpin liked this
Well, I've been using Photobucket for 12 years and I don't want all of my image links to just die on here and the rpf.
Kingpin wrote: May 26th, 2020, 5:09 am I also use Imgur. Photobucket can go bugger themselves.
Flickr is another viable option.
kind2311 wrote: May 30th, 2020, 12:59 pm Dan! Jesus this pack is going to be gorgeous. What brand and finish of paint are you using?
Jesus dude, glad to see you're still kicking it!

When I first started this pack I had thought about doing my own mixes of automotive satin paint.

But that was dumb.

It's Rustoleum Primer & Finish Satin Black. It goes on really nicely smooth, and keeps a nice luster even after drying.

I'm not sure what Rustoleum has been doing these past few years on their formulas, but their paint is really great now.
kind2311 liked this
I've updated all the photos to imgur, so hopefully they now display.

Here's some more shots. Getting close! All of the mounting point are in, naturally this was just a test fit and I will add washers. I do have to reposition the L bracket on the gun mount, as it is unfortunately too accurate to the super hero and marginally off, not giving the bolt enough to grip.

I also need to redo the tape on the power cell (again) the size and type is right, but whatever brand was sent to me was no the shurpro, and refuses to stay on.

Glenn Frederick, Kingpin, Austin and 2 others liked this

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]