By WhatDidYouDoRay
So my pack is almost complete. Now i'm just working on the lower half. I'm at the spacer part and I'm trying to decide what to make it out of. The majority of the pack is all 1/4 wood and pvc pipe. But for the thickness and size of the spacer, wood just seems too big and difficult to have a rounded shape. The cyclotron i'm just going to cut wood rings to build up the height. Any suggestions for the spacer's outside walls. I've thought of cardboard, styrofoam - but not sure how they will hold up with other weight on top of them.
By Slimer7
Make the spacer out of wood, take a look at some of my pics and see how i did mine, strong as hell and can hold quite a bit of weight.
By Master Taran
Your pics don't work, Slimer. The misplaced file message comes up when you click on the thumbnails.
By ecto_skywalker
I would make it in two pieces. The round part out of would rings and then add the upper part that the the hose and the Clippard valve connect to.
By WhatDidYouDoRay
Well the only thing with that is that the spacer is supposed to be 2.75 inches thick. That's a lot of rings to be made to get that height. Even if i used 3/4 inch plywood it would take almost 4 layers to get to that height. I was hoping for a way around that and save myself hours of making endless circles. Here is a link of my progress so far.

http://community.webshots.com/album/546103020FqTnga
By christphern
Well, I did mine in 5 layers. Four were planned, but a 5th had to be added to get the propper heigth. I made 3 layers of 3/4" and 1 layer of 1/2, figuring that that would get me to the correct heigth, since the 3/4" layers made 1 1/4, math-wise. Then the added 1/2 should have brought it to the 2 3/4" mark. Unfortunately, oddly enough, that was still 1/4" too short. So I added 1/4" Luaun wood, which is really 3/16", and ended up 1/16 too thick, which I still haven't been able to figure out. I decided to leave it.

Whatever method you decide, it's not going to be a 1 or 2 hour project. This thing will take you a few days if you don't have the right tools.

Also, a note. You'll want to make a pattern from something thin, like styrene, so that all of your spacer drawings are as close to identical as possible. That should seriously minimise the finishing time.

Chris
By WhatDidYouDoRay
Yeah I was figuring that was going to be the only way. I'm getting real good at measuring 5 7/8 diameter circles. HA. Thanks for the info and help.

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]