This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

http://www.amazon.com/ALICE-PACK-FRAME- ... _sss_pot_1

$35.56 + $5.84 in shipping for the frame and associated pad and straps.

I was actually looking for the elbow pads and found this frame deal.

If anyone is looking for pads, these look like they're pretty close, and I'm buying two pair (in case mess up dying the first pair).
http://www.amazon.com/VOLLEYBALL-KNEE-P ... d_sim_sg_5

$13.75 per pair + $9.50 in shipping
By Gareee
Those pads look perfect, BUT they don;t list a size.. just adult white. You REALLY want LARGE ones.

I've had mine on 2 liter bottles for a few days now stretching them out. They were OK on my wife, but I could feel the circulation being cut off after an hour test wearing them.
By pOOpTarT
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

pOOpTarT wrote: If anyone is looking for pads, these look like they're pretty close, and I'm buying two pair (in case mess up dying the first pair).
Well, I got my pads today, and there is one small problem. On the back side (where the back of your knee or inside of your elbow will go), there is a hole about the size of a silver dollar. I'm guessing it's so the sweaty backs of volleyball players' knees can breathe, but now I've got to figure out how to remedy this. I think I'm just going to stitch the hole closed and go on. It should look fine, as it won't really be noticeable being on the inside of my elbow. But I did want to follow up on my purchase, in case anyone was thinking of following me there. :)

pOOpTarT wrote:
pOOpTarT wrote: If anyone is looking for pads, these look like they're pretty close, and I'm buying two pair (in case mess up dying the first pair).
Well, I got my pads today, and there is one small problem. On the back side (where the back of your knee or inside of your elbow will go), there is a hole about the size of a silver dollar. I'm guessing it's so the sweaty backs of volleyball players' knees can breathe, but now I've got to figure out how to remedy this. I think I'm just going to stitch the hole closed and go on. It should look fine, as it won't really be noticeable being on the inside of my elbow. But I did want to follow up on my purchase, in case anyone was thinking of following me there. :)
Remember, they put a black peice of faberic on the pads in the movie. the hole may have been on the screen used pads for all we know.
By Gareee
We just cut part from an old black t shirt, hemmed the edges, and sewed those on. It looks pwerfect, and stretches fine.

So we'll be the ones with holes in our shirts under our coveralls....
By kind2311

pOOpTarT wrote:
It's not to big of a problem, easily concealed but, if you had read this thread that is stickied at the top of the Uniforms section, you would have known those Pro Series 3PC. knee pads were going to have a hole on the inside of the armband.

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =4&t=11681
Cinnamon B wrote:Maybe it's a symptom of being Canadian, but i've always found it's really hard to find used military stuff. Maybe i'm looking in the wrong places.
Hey Cinnamon, I feel your Canadian pain. I live in Toronto and keep finding great ebay deals on parts (Alice frame, knee pads, flight suits) but the international shipping (plus duties and taxes at the border) often jack up the price hugely. I tried to order a set of knee pads for about $12 US (like, $14 CAD) but after shipping they were gonna cost upwards of $40! My way around this was to find someone to receive them in the States, ship the parts there, and then have someone bring them over. I know I kind of lucked out on having this as a solution, but it helped a bunch.

The biggest problem here in Canada is that most of the parts used in the movie props are (naturally) American. I've scoured tons of Army Surplus stores here and they rarely stock Alice frames, pistol belts, etc. When they do have them, they're not cheap. One thing that does help is that Mutimediamayhem.net is located here in Ontario. Anyways, best of luck dude!
Mike_D wrote:I went to the dollar store and found a 2-pack of those microwave plastic covers (you put them over whatever your microwaving so there wont be a mess) for a buck. I primed it, made the rings around the red reflectors out of foamies and it came out pretty nice:

I'm also updating my old foamboard proton packs I made back in 2005, AND making a newer one thats going to be more accurate:

Bought the pack frames from Wal-mart in the camping section (they had packs there with metal frames). I just bought an ALICE frame Monday for the newer pack in construction.
I'm really impressed with the outlines you made for the foam motherboard. What dimensions did you use?
By Gareee
People have made them of many different things.. but your pack will take abuse at halloween parties, and general storage, so if in doubt, I'd just make it out of wood, so your pack has some protection. Itf you look in the tutorials section, you'll even find a tutorial on how to make a wooden one.
i figured the packs take quite the abuse, so that's why i was looking for something a little more solid than wood. i was considering making it from aluminum, but really don't have the time to put in to fabricating it. i am currently building my first pack with two other friends, and yes, we are planning on using them for halloween, but we also plan on putting them to use afterwards as well.

the reason i don't have the time to fabricate the cyclotron band is because i am currently occupied fabricating the proton blasters and it is taking a little longer than expected. i couldn't imagine how long it would take to make a band the way i would like to make it. so if anyone may have ideas for a solid substitute for the band, i would greatly appreciate it.
By Gareee
Wood is fine, and there is e ven a tutorial in the tutorial section on how to make them.

I think its plenty strong enough as well.. keep in mind anything hitting you hard enough to break that wood bumper is going to be major, and will probably smash half the pack anyway. (Think being hit by a car.)
By GhostGuy
Hey guys, I found these light sticks at Home Depot. They're with the saftey equipment in the aisle with the nuts and bolts:

They have three or four modes, some flashing, some with a flashlight in the base on as well. They'd work well as a power cell, or on the end of a proton gun! They come in green, blue, and red, and could easily be cut down to whatever length you need. They're about 7" long.
By Gareee
That's very similar to what we found last year from sylvania that walmart carried, and is what we are using for our power supplies.

Walmart no longer seems to be able to get them in stock, so this is a great alternative find!
By Gareee
Where are you guys finding dixie cup hangers at? Just out of the package at walmart or such?
By Mike_D
Hey fellas, I'll post pictures tomorrow of what my new foamboard proton pack looks like this year. I actually found CHEAPER (if you can believe that) lights that I used as opposed to last year with the skeleton lights I found. I went into wal-mart and found LEDs with the halogen refelctor things around them (tip of flashlights have them around the bulb), they have 3 different colors (red, green and orange). I'll post pics and video first thing tomorrow.

Best of all, 8 bucks. Same as skeleton lights, they have a button/toggle switch with battery pack.
I found some more of those flashing light sticks at Ac Moore the other day. These ones were orange, which would be more accurate for the proton gun. A little more expensive there, but they often have 50% off sales if you check their website for a coupon.
I noticed those jogging sticks don;t flash near as fast as the sylvania ones.. it looks like those are supposed to be stocked at walmart, but every one in our area has pegs for them, but no jogging sticks in stock.

http://shop.ebay.com/alleghenyoutlet/m.html

This guy sells HELLA cheap Alice frames. Not 100% screen accurate, but $14 plus shipping (which is $10.70 and FAST) ain't nothing to sneeze at.
Saborias, I just recieved a frame from that source this morning, and I totally agree. I'm especially excited because yesterday I made huge progress on
my pack, and now I'll have something to attach the motherboard to. I finally got my flight suit yesterday too, and it fit perfect.y. It has been a good week.

I made the motherboard out of baltic birch, which is thin but very strong (I carved the washers for the cyclotron out of them as well). I carved the synchronus
generator out of thick foam board. The cyclotron itself is made out of a cake pan (of course), and I punched out the holes with a drill press. The bumper I
made by cutting and shaping some aluminum blinds that I ripped apart, augmented by rubber and wood. The ion knob plate was that same baltic birch.
I haven't made the ion knob/shock mount yet, but I'm thinking I'll use the alternating 1-1/2"-1-1/4" washer method.

Unfortunately I screwed up and drilled the hole for the legris elbow on the cyclotron in the wrong place, and didn't realize it until I had hot-glued the lights
into the inside and attached the washers. Now I can't fix it without ripping everything off and starting from scratch. Luckily I put it on the correct side, but just
closer to the bottom than the top; it will fit right below the bumper, between the bumper and the N-filter. I'd be more anal about it except this is just my
Halloween/test pack. I'm doing this mainly to see how well I do before even attempting getting all the correct pieces and fittings and making a "real" pack.
I'd hate to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on resin pieces, legris elbows, clippard valves, high-tech lighting, etc only to find that I suck at it and
screw it all up. So far, other than the mess-up with the legris elbow, I'm pretty damned pleased.

Now we'll see how I do with the top half of the pack, and the neutrona wand...
adarkervision wrote:Saborias, I just recieved a frame from that source this morning, and I totally agree. I'm especially excited because yesterday I made huge progress on
my pack, and now I'll have something to attach the motherboard to. I finally got my flight suit yesterday too, and it fit perfect.y. It has been a good week.
Okay, first of all, that's an L in my nick, not an I. Saborlas. Sounds vaguely Spanish, but I was just throwing syllables around. Advantages to a nick like that is that it's NEVER TAKEN. I am Saborlas here, on Fark (and TotalFark), Xbox Live, AIM, Yahoo, MSN, you name it. If there's a Saborlas there, I'm he. Unless that Saborlas owes you money. It's also the name of a character I created for a novel... technically, I've always associated the name with my primary alter ego, and I just reinvented my alter ego when I got a cool idea for a novel. The old one didn't fit me anymore.

Second, I kinda went into a panic this week after realizing that I wasn't gonna have enough money to finish my pack... then the Law of Attraction kicked in overtime (the way it usually does when I really MUST have something). I've found enough 1/4" plywood to make everything you need plywood for except the motherboard itself, the carpentry shop down the street had a nice thick board in their scrap box (labeled "Free Wood," natch) I can carve a bumper from, a houseguest got takeout and the bowl/plate (rescued from the recycle bin) is PERFECT for the cyclotron, and I found the aforementioned eBay guy selling one SWEET deal on frames.

So don't be afraid to freak out about not having something. It's like asking the Spirit of the Franchise for help. That being whatever part of whatever higher being you believe in that thinks that Ghostbusters is totally awesome and Ghostheads should be rewarded for pursuing a hobby that makes everyone feel good. If you want it strongly enough, a way will be found for you to get what you need. I freaked over needing inexpensive parts fast, and that's EXACTLY what I got.
Gareee wrote:All hail Gozer....
Then Gozer just sent me a computer client who freaked out about a fake infection popup ad. Got an hour's worth of work there (most of it spent playing Mario Kart DS, virus jobs are CAKE once the scanning starts). Even with the discount, that pushes up my trip to Radio Shack. Thinking Tuesday. Right now I want to treat myself to a nice sub.

Yes, I'm the local Virusbuster.

/in b4 new lyrics to the song
//picked up MB plywood and foam for noggin-knock padding at Home Despot, too
Sorry about screwing up your name Saborlas; I was at work when I was on the forum, and th monitors here all seem to look like they've been smeared
with vaseline. Which is wonderful since I work for IBM. You'd think they'd have amazing computers... but you'd think wrong. Each and every workstation
looks and performs like it was picked up at a yardsale for about $15.

As for the freaking out about parts, I'm just about there. I don't have too many parts that I don't know what to do about, other than finding a cheap source
for the ribbon cable (spending $15+ shipping on 30" of cable just makes me feel dirty) and the clear tube for the end of the neutrona wand are my only
major hurtles left. But the clock is ticking...
By Gareee
For the ribbon cable I just made do last year with some actualy rainbow striped package pibbon.. check out my wip build.

I also used some halloween wands from walgreen for our gun wands, plus they have a cool slo blow and full bright effect as well.

Saborlas wrote:http://shop.ebay.com/alleghenyoutlet/m.html

This guy sells HELLA cheap Alice frames. Not 100% screen accurate, but $14 plus shipping (which is $10.70 and FAST) ain't nothing to sneeze at.
How fast is fast, would you say, if I'm shipping to southern Ontario? I know you can't say for sure, but an estimate would rule. I don't have a lot of experience with shipping.

I'm seriously considering this source, because that's 50% the cost of the local source. But we're down to basically 15 days till I need it, and I'm not sure about shipping times.

Great find though! it might just save my bacon.
By azmyth
I bought mine from that guy.

Like has been said, they aren't 100% accurate.. but noone will notice except the die hards..

I got mine in a few days after buying.. but I am in the US, and in the same state as the seller lol
adarkervision wrote:As for the freaking out about parts, I'm just about there. I don't have too many parts that I don't know what to do about, other than finding a cheap source
for the ribbon cable (spending $15+ shipping on 30" of cable just makes me feel dirty) and the clear tube for the end of the neutrona wand are my only
major hurtles left. But the clock is ticking...
IDE cable, a pack of magic markers, and a steady hand.

The only ones who will notice are Ghostheads, and we don't care.
Cinnamon B wrote:How fast is fast, would you say, if I'm shipping to southern Ontario? I know you can't say for sure, but an estimate would rule. I don't have a lot of experience with shipping.

I'm seriously considering this source, because that's 50% the cost of the local source. But we're down to basically 15 days till I need it, and I'm not sure about shipping times.

Great find though! it might just save my bacon.
Couple of days for me. Might be as much as a week to Ontario (international shipping and all).

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]