By Gareee
Yeah the paint makes a WORLD of difference.

And no, the cap was just a original test cap for the HGA.. using a electical connector and test cap per norm's instructions looks better, is the proper size, and will hold the wires that connect to it better without drooping.

If you take a spray can with you, and compare the cap with the electrical connector, the appearance difference is remarkable. (Plus you want to printed labels to fit the parts.)
By Gareee
Ok, finally an update with more pics... now that most parts are painted, it's looking much more like a real pack.

This is just a dry fit, to see how everything is still fitting, and see what minor adjustments still need to be made.

You'll notice a BIG patched blob on the generator.. the cat knocked down a lamp that was helping the paint cure, since it was cool and damp today.. the lamp had JUST enough time to melt a bit of the foam generator, and put a divot in the cyclotron generator plastic edge.. nothing some putty, sand and paint can;t patch, but still a setback, and pain in the rump to have to repair.

The lights are on in these, and looking pretty much as I'd expected. I have a few minor cuts to make on the motherboards, and then I can attach everything to the MB.

Question, (if anyone who pack builds is reading) : Attach MB to the alice frame first, and THEN attach everything to the

MB, or visa versa?
By Gareee
Yep, things are shaping up dispite last minute minor issues. (course when I talk to the wife, I'm in panic mode!)

Thing is, if I made wooden packs, this would have been a non issue.. BUT I just did a kinda sorta weight test, and without guns or alice frame, it looks like I'm at about 10 pounds.. Pretty much dead on for my goal.

Plus working on these last last few weeks I've LOST 5 pounds.. so this proton pack diet is working wonders!

Here's a few more done bits placed, and the second pack dry assembled next to it...

Oh! and now you get a glimpse of my notorious Michael's holiday ribbon ribbon cable as well...
'
By KCGhostbuster
Gareee-

Looks fantastic. You've really raised the bar.

Incidentally, alice frame to MB first, then attach the pack. Make sure you're not putting screws or nuts in places that you'll later wish you could move because the pack needs to occupy the same space.

-KC
By Ghostwalker
Hey Gareee - one quick question about your cyclotron lights... Are you sealing that area up permanently or are you going to try to leave access to that area in case you need to get in there to repair/replace/adjust your lights? If that's what you're planning on, how are you going to go about doing that? Thanks! Pack is really starting to look great painted!

-Ghostwalker
By Gareee
Thanks, KC. I'll attach them first. Haven't decided on a perm mount, or removable one yet.. I can;t really think of a reason for removing them though.

Ghostwalker: I had considered silicon sealer for glueing down he cyclotron, since while it sticks great, with enough force you should be able to cleanly remove it, but I kept thinking.. the lights are LEDs, with 20,000 hours of life.. there's no way in hell I'll ever have the packs running long enough to burn them out.

I hot glued the leds in place around the rim inside, and barring any force they should stay put, so that's not really a major issue. The battery pack remains outside (on the lower left), and is screwed to the MB.. since it can be removed, and batteries replaced easily, that's not a reason to need access either.

After considering all of that, I just used shoe goo/goop to make a perm seal on the cyclotron. The rubbermaid turntable already was per mounted to the generator, so I just needed to put a bead of the goo on the rim of the cake pan.. plus, you really need to use a vinyl sealer bead around the cakepan to kill any light leaking out from the bottom, so a perm seal just makes the most sense, IMHO.

(NOTE: If you use old style twinkle lights, they DO burn out, and you'll need an access sooner or later.)

You really need to think about each step a number of times, before assembly.. for instance, make sure you draw out the rubbermaid outer curve on a piece of paper prior to assembly, because you'll need that for the shape of the metal connection the ribbon cable uses on the cyclotron's edge.

Even with all the parts, it's like a big puzzle and you make the pieces, and make the assembly rules up.. and when you forget something before assembly, it can create a harder next job.

That's why I've dry fitted so many times.. to see how things go together, and where they REALLY need to be placed.
By enchanted unicorn
KCGhostbuster wrote:Gareee-

Looks fantastic. You've really raised the bar.

Incidentally, alice frame to MB first, then attach the pack. Make sure you're not putting screws or nuts in places that you'll later wish you could move because the pack needs to occupy the same space.

-KC
one must always be aware of were they are placing their nuts.
By Gareee
I have to place my nuts carefully, because some will be up against the wife's back...
By PaulOmen5500
Gareee wrote:I have to place my nuts carefully, because some will be up against the wife's back...
lol :mrgreen:
By Gareee
Actually, the nut pun got even better yesterday.. I had to glue my nuts together for our wireing couplings.

I sawed the heads of a few bolts, hot glued them into the foam booster base, screwed the red wireing into the glued nuts, and then twisted them on in place. This holds the wires very securely, and hopefully the foam can hold the bolts in properly. (Unfortunately, I could find any very long here... odds are down the road, I'll replace the 1 1/2 bolts with 3 or 4 inch long ones instead.. that way those connections will be very secure.

It was also a bit hard to work yesterday.. it was windy outside, and the temperatures were 45 or so. Too cold to putty or paint, so I'd do a bit of that, and then bring it inside to dry or cure. Today and tomorrow hold promise since it's supposed to go up to 65 or so, but the mornings (like right now) it's 33 outside! Too damned cold to do almost anything at all.

I also found out yestday, that whil liquid nails and vinyl caulk are fine on foam, goop and shoe goo ARE NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried to glue on the larger hose connectors at the top of the generator, and they started to eat the foam, even though it was sealed with house paint. (The shoe goo reacted with that as well, and the chemicals in it must have leeched to the foam.)

I removed it and cleaned it, and while there's distortion there now, its firm again, and the paint coating is intact, so I'll just use liquid nails on it today.

I'm trying to get last minute little jobs done that might be problematic once everything is attached to the mb...
By Gareee
Sorry for lack of updates.. last minute crunch time stuff.

Turns out the norm recommended basswood warps like all hell.. one mb warped forewards, and the other warped backwards, so today we bought a slightly thicker pin plywood, and cut band new motherboards. (I could also add a bit more wood in a few places I thought that a tad more might make a nice edge.)

We've already cut those, sanded them, and even glued down the generators now.. they are drying. Next we'll start screwing parts down in their final places.. with luck, but packs will have thier final major assemblys screwed in before tonight.

It could be that thicker basswod doesn't warp as much, but advise in the mean time anyone reading use something at least 30% thicker then what norm recommended. That might reduce the warping. (it could also be the change of seasons, temp and difference in humidity levels also made warping worst.)
By Gareee
I know it's been a while, but here are new pic updates.. with our packs assembled and worn!

We ran into a few stumbling blocks along the way.. motherboards that were badly warped.. too badly to even use. We ended up buying new slightly thicker wood, and making entirely new motherboards.

Also, two l brackets couldn't be used for mounting the bumper, so we ended up using one straight bracket, and one l bracket.

We also weighed our packs tonight.. WITH the alice frame, but without guns yet, the packs weight only 9 POUNDS! I'm VERY pleased with that. The only addition will be some hoses resistors and the ion rods, (plus stickers), and the optional police flashers at the top.

By Gareee
Oh.. addition: my pack also has slow color changing lights in my crank box and the box below that as well. (Mine's da "pimped" pack)

Still to be added: ion rods, stickers/labels, crank knobs, top and left side hoses and resistors.
By J10kmn
that looks great. can't wait to see your guns.
By Gareee
For the ribbon cable, we're using rainbow ribbon from michael's.. they have one with rainbow stripes.

For some of the labels, we got a bit fancier, and picked up clear inkjet printable sheets. While not 100% clear, when you print a label on them, they DO have a slightly more metallic sheen to them. Because our stuff wasn't built to spec, we had to make some changes in label sizes.

Today I'll do all the finish work first on the packs, and then dive into doing our guns.
By Gareee
Thanks guys! I figure after the packs, nothing can be harder to make.. LOL!

I forgot to drill a few holes, and mount some hardware, so even though I was really careful abou tthat, I still have some delicate work on them today. Ones pretty much completely done except the generator decorative panels (Easy work, and they are all already cut).

I still need some red spray paint for hose of the cables, and think I need a few more of the hex bolts, but I think the packs other then that have everything they needed.

I've decided IF I have the extra time, I'll weather them.. otherwise we'll deal with them as "showroom" new.

Man I'm itchin to put on the suit and pack, and just wander around in a mall or hit the stores where I've been buying parts at...
By Gareee
If this works, a short video of the lights working...

By J10kmn
sweetness x10
seriously. great job. can't wait to see the whole finalized costume
By Gareee
We're getting there.. I added everything else on the packs today with the exception of the decorative plating.. I should be able to add that to both packs tomorrow in an hour, including painting them.

We did iron ons on tshirts, cut them out, and I'll mount those on a piece of trimmed black craft foam each, so they are a little firmer. They'll be attached with velcro, so we can add real patches next year.

I still need to do the back hose attachment things, and the belt circuit board light things. I'd hoped to also have a trap, but I'm running out of time, and the wife just found out they moved their halloween party at work up to next weds.. so I have 5 days to build 2 guns, and everything else.. she'll be of one day of that time.
By Gareee
Yeah I just saw that in another thread.. how could I have forgotten the rebar?

(I blame Norm's plans.. he left the rebar off the parts list and instruction plans. ;)

Anyway here's where I ended up today.. some more stuff added, and the ribbon partially on. (It still needs trimming and hot glueing.) Only thing left is the decorative plate, and Oh yeah.. guns... (sigh!)

A dark shot so you can see the lighting better

Yeah,. I DID make two.. ;)

And a beauty shot...

At the moment my interest would be what sorts fo[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

I know very little about Five Nights at Freddy's […]

Doug Keithley/sponge face/Ghostlab42 made a excell[…]

Did it come out today? Ugh the art is so bad tho[…]