For users in: Delaware, Maryland, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, & Washington DC.
Me and some friends are looking into starting a franchise.
There is one in our area but i contacted them about trying to join up and they said "they arent looking for new members at the moment"
Is it bad form to want to start my own franchise in the area? Even if i tried to join them but got turned away?

I dont want to step on toes but we really want to get something going.

Thanks for the insight!
I don't think so but how close is that franchise to you?

Maybe you can get some pointers on how to start up one and your two franchises can work together.

Here in MA there are a few on the NE all fairly close to one another. Sometimes they work together other times they'll take in events individually or pass an event onto another group.

One thing to check on is if you have a preference on what kind of franchise you want to join/start.

So groups look for accurate uniforms and gear while others are more casual.
csullivan1980 wrote:I don't think so but how close is that franchise to you?

Maybe you can get some pointers on how to start up one and your two franchises can work together.

Here in MA there are a few on the NE all fairly close to one another. Sometimes they work together other times they'll take in events individually or pass an event onto another group.

One thing to check on is if you have a preference on what kind of franchise you want to join/start.

So groups look for accurate uniforms and gear while others are more casual.
We are relatively the same area, i tried to meet up with them to talk a week or 2 ago but they didnt show to the event they were supposed to.

I want to do some charity work, the place i work is a charity to begin with so it would be easy.

Yea we want to let anyone in thats is interested in helping (ie. making props and putting cash in for events and so on) but besides that we dont want to tell anyone NO. We want to work with people to make the accurate props but as a starting point we are open!
I don't know anyone involved but I have a history with a few costuming groups

Maybe try reaching out to some of the nicer members and see if they care and ask what the "no new members" thing is about

If they blow you off or treat you like crap just start your franchise and forget those guys

If you're more welcoming to new members your ranks will grow
If you honor your commitments to cons and at events you will get booked more often
And maybe some of their dissatisfied members will jump ship

It likely WILL cause hard feelings though the question is: if they're a-holes who cares what they think
venkman30 liked this
LandoSystem wrote:I don't know anyone involved but I have a history with a few costuming groups

Maybe try reaching out to some of the nicer members and see if they care and ask what the "no new members" thing is about

If they blow you off or treat you like crap just start your franchise and forget those guys

If you're more welcoming to new members your ranks will grow
If you honor your commitments to cons and at events you will get booked more often
And maybe some of their dissatisfied members will jump ship

It likely WILL cause hard feelings though the question is: if they're a-holes who cares what they think
Right? i mean who turns someone down whos willing to help out in a charitable way and i have like 4 people willing to join up!
I just know these guys have been around awhile and i dont want to get shunned by the community lol.

I think im going to start my own and see what happens! Next few months hopefully!
I really do find that odd... "We arent looking for new members at the moment" just doesn't rub me the right way, I don't like the sound of it at all...
the exact response so i dont mis represent it "Hello Sean, thank you so much for your interest in the [XXX]. We are not currently taking on new members but if we do I will be sure to contact you."

still kinda rubbed me the wrong way. and their website wasnt working so i offered some free web work (which i extend to ANY GB franchise!)
same group same people and they have events scheduled, my friends said they tried to join them a few years back when their gear wasnt as good as my friend ( now we have the same gear and they have all new stuff) and they acted the same way very negative and not open.

i tried to be a nice guy and just join but idk seems they have no interest in it!
I would just start your own group. Doesn't sound like that group is very good to begin with ( I could be wrong as I don't know the group your trying to join ). you certainly don't wanna be working with a bunch of people who turn you away right from the jump. I say start your own and have fun.
    Proton Props UK

I've seen that too...... Maybe, I don't know? Fu[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]