For users in: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, & West Virginia.
By Chace

Ready to join 60,000 of your closest friends at DragonCon and take part in the largest annual gathering of Ghostbusters Fans in the world?

Too bad because it's coming up on Labor Day Weekend!

The Fan Table is set, and Parade is arranged...we will be doing panels but the topic/time is TBD

Dinner and awards Saturday night will once again be at the Mellow Mushroom...and the only GB Nerd Fraternity...Zappa Kappa Trappa will be holding our annual scavenger hunt/pledge competition with some pretty amazing prizes.

What's that you say? You like the logo (By the lovely and talented Jake Walsh) and want a T-Shirt? We can make that happen, just follow this link where you'll find this year's shirt as well as previous PKE Surge shirts going back to 2012! (CTSY our friends at the Alabama Ghostbusters)

http://alabamagb.spreadshirt.com/pke-surge-C150509

And in case you don't have any idea what I'm talking about with all this...check out this video from last year's parade...we have fun.

https://vimeo.com/122876650
Borzou, Tyrael liked this
Unfortunately, I'll be missing it again this year... sigh...

Got any special guests this year, Chace?
pyhasanon wrote:Unfortunately, I'll be missing it again this year... sigh...

Got any special guests this year, Chace?
Same here Phil. Maybe next year? I haven't really done anything buster fun out in Cali. Would like to hang with the whole crew again. :love::)
Oh, definitely next year... just hoping the reboot won't cause the enthusiasm of the Dragon*Con GB presence to die down...
Meh....enthusiasm will still be there. We'll still be reppin the old skool. I'll see what my lady thinks about going too. She'll probably wanna dress up in the new movie gear..... She is a 90's baby....never saw the originals till she met me. I know....it's frightening...
Tyrael wrote:Wife and I will be there for our first DragonCon! Anything we need to know (additional costs, times, etc)?
There are no additional fees for anything regarding PKE Surge...The parade is Saturday Morning, lineup i at 9:00 we typically do the dinner at the Mellow Mushroom on Saturday night at 6 or 7 (you are responsible for paying for your own meal of course)

Full list of Surge stuff will be posted in this thread once everything is totally nailed down (probably a month out or so)

You can also join the PKE Surge group on Facebook for updates https://www.facebook.com/groups/1385840801635127/

as far as general tips and tricks, this article is pretty good.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/ ... vival1.htm

310jag wrote:Well, it looks like we may be in for this. What's the hotel situation like? Is there one main one that everyone stays at?

Edit. Nevermind, looked the website. Pretty helpful. Not many rooms left.
Occasionally some of the host hotels hold blocks of rooms till closer to the con and then release them, so keep checking....and remember the con takes up 4 hotels and the America's Mart so there will be a TON of people there...also that weekend usually has a nascar race, a college football game, a baseball game, and a blag gay pride parade (and sometimes a major concert) all that same weekend, so hotel space is at a premium and the city is pretty crowded.
Tyrael liked this
310jag wrote:Wow. Yeah, this is all new to me and the rest of the Louisville gang.. but we're definitely interested. So is there really a convention, like, at each of the host hotels? Or one main hotel?
Yes its really that large...the convention takes up all 4 hotels panels, fan tables, etc are in 3, registration is in 1, and merch takes up two stories in the America's mart. and there is programming 24 hours a day. (Though the stuff between 2 and 6 am is mostly movie screenings)

the really long video for 2014 kinda shows the scope

First come first serve day of but we have 100 ribbons (the most you can request) so we should be fine...we've had over 90 busters in the parade before but we've never run out of ribbons
310jag wrote:Wow. Yeah, this is all new to me and the rest of the Louisville gang.. but we're definitely interested. So is there really a convention, like, at each of the host hotels? Or one main hotel?
To be honest, you have to see it to believe it. Expect long ticket lines, very hot weather, lots of walking, and (like Chace said) LOADS of people. The beggers are so much nicer than in Detroit *giggle*
We were there last time in 2013 and it really wasn't all that bad (lines, weather, walking, people). I was only ALMOST thrown up on twice, nearly haymaker punched by one of the same drunks once, and asked to stand still in a pose for about 25 minutes (as Alucard from Hellsing).

This is honestly the best convention I've been to. I feel like a clutz for not taking on PKE Surge sooner *sigh*. Next year, we'll be down there!
By Chace
eloquentXI wrote:When does the group photo happen (pre-parade) or do you do any type of group photoshoot?
It's usually done either prior to the parade or right after...the only thing that sucks is they line up the vehicles in a different area than the marchers and merge them as the parade starts.....and after the parade the cars have to leave, so the drivers seldom make it to the pic.
I'm booked for DragonCon! In uniform for PKE Surge but alas, no pack. Not putting my baby on an commercial flight.
By Chace
Updates!

Here's the banner for the Surge Table/parade!

Several of the PKE Surge organizers are scheduled to appear on The Daily Share on HLN (CNN's Sister Network) on the Friday of DragonCon.

Surge Dinner and Awards will again be at the Mellow Mushroom (400 West Peachtree St, Spring Street/Ivan Allen Jr Blvd) on Saturday the 5th at 6pm. Flightsuits are ok but due to lack of space please don't bring packs and gear.

Ghostbusters panel is now 11:30 am Sunday (it was 2:30 (and before that it was 5:30) I have been told this SHOULD be the final scheduling change on that.
By Chace
Tyrael wrote:Awards?
Yes we give awards out at the dinner mainly based on your appearance during the parade for things like best original equipment, best representation of a GB etc.

The awards are painted silver or gold and are molded out of Nestle Crunch bars because if you get one you.....you've earned it. Here's this year's batch pre-paint.

Some of the categories also include other prizes.

In addition there is the Zappa Kappa Trappa Rush Weekend Saturday night...ZKT is the worlds ONLY GB Fraternity, and you have a chance to join (and win awesome prizes) by competing in a scavenger hunt.

None of this costs anything, but the ZKT challenge does require a suit and pack.

ZKT Awards are usually given out Sunday, the regular awards are at the dinner.
Tyrael liked this
By Chace
For the Newbs that want more info on what DragonCon really is and how big it is, in 2011 PBS did an hour long documentary on the con as a whole.

PKE Surge wasn't official enough to have the GB panel at the time so we aren't mentioned, and the con has grown even bigger than in the doc, but it gives you a good overall view of the scope of the event and the types of folks you'll meet.

Enjoy.

http://video.pba.org/video/2065738625/

Or if you bought the access pack you get them inst[…]

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]