I'm going the same eva foam route and it's been pretty straightforward. PVC for the handle and a wood rod for the post gorilla glued together. A mix of eva floor mat foam from Harbor Freight and some of the thicker variety of Foamies from Michaels/Joann's. Some weldwood contact cement and you get this:
The doors and spacer for the doors as well as the front display housing are all made from the thicker foamies. Since this is a belt hanger I am not bothering to make the doors able to open.
The battery compartment on the back is made up of a combo of the eva foam for supports and the thick foamies for the walls. I left a space under the switch and light in the back in case I want to incoporate some means of getting the light to blink.
Since the battery compartment fits in snuglley I left the one side unglued to access the area.
Next up is the cosmetic plates. Since so much of this is already foam I decided to stick with that instead of using styrene or something rigid. I'm going to use the thinner foamies sheets for the aluminum plates n the side and a mix of various foams for the knobs, front doodads etc.
I also picked up a strobe device from Ace Hardware (like this one) I believe is designed for bike riders to clip onto their clothes at night. It has a button on one end that selects between two strobe speeds, full on or off. I thought the circuit board with the LEDs would fit inside the front display but it was too large so I ended up cutting a hole in the front of the cartridge, I left the bottom hollow, and I faced the strobe toward the inside of the display housing. I then lined the inside with a bit of aluminum tape to help reflect the light. The neat thing is due to the placement I can choose the strobe setting by squeezing the end of the trap. Here is a vid to show what I mean.
More pics tomorrow once most of the painting is done.