User avatar
By ovwthrillseekr
#4808142
Well I finally decided to build a trap! Having no clue where to begin with this thing, I consulted with the GB of So Cal and decided on building a stunt trap. I ultimately want to add a smoke effect to the trap so a stunt seemed the best way to go.

Lucky for me, JoeLuna33 and DarthDono have a stunt trap mold which they pulled a nice resin/fiberglass cast of a trap. They also provided me with the bottom plate and knobs. The plates I bought from GBFans:

Image

Image

Image

Image


To start, I dry fit the plating and sanded down areas of the trap. I then measured and traced the bottom of the trap and cut the bottom piece out. After the bottom piece was cut, I painted both the trap and bottom piece with Rustoleum Satin Black

Image

Image

Image


After debating spending a rediculous amount of money on those side red pieces, I decided to make use of some old Rock Band drumsticks. I almost went the hanger route but the drumsticks seemed the best way to go.

Image

Image

After a few coats of Satin Red Rustoleum paint, I attached the red side gimmicks, knobs, and decals to the side plates. Once it dried, I attached the plating to the trap.

Image

Image

Image

I'm going to fast forward here because I didn't document my process very well but I cut the proper wheel holes in the bottom of the trap wood plate, spray painted one side of the aluminum bottom plate, attached the axles and bearings (my screws were too long so I used JB Weld to attach them to the aluminum plate), attached L brackets using JB Weld (yes I'm lazy), and screwed on the v bracket. And yes, I know I should cut off more of the bottom decal but I realized that after I had already attached it. Oh well.

Image

Image

A little sloppy I know but who looks at the inside of the trap? ;)

Next, I added in the Crix Light Kit using super glue to hold in the bar graph. I also added the red light gimmick, screws, and switch to the battery box. For the bar graph cover lens, I cut a small piece of a screw box off with an exacto knife and sprayed it with a little frost. To be different, I added a green LED to the mix and covered it up with an old arco electric clear light cap. Oh, and I added the grip and yellow lines using yellow electrical tape.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image



And that's it! Time to implement a smoke gimmick and get this thing smokin!
Kingpin, alphabeta001 liked this
User avatar
By mike304
#4808194
Nice job! Looking good. Its funny how we workers call everything 'gimmicks' and know exactly what the other is talking about, lol.
User avatar
By ovwthrillseekr
#4808195
The wheel screws weren't putting me over so I tagged in JB Weld who put both axles in a hold. JB called a hope spot and dried fairly quickly. Heat was a little long though. I powdered out a few times but ultimately took it home and hit it with the electrical tape and dry rubs. Huge pop!
Hello (pictures of my suit in progress).

Hello an welcome :cool:

A Noob Says Hello

Hello an welcome :cool:

Hello GBFans Friends!

You’re welcome

Hi, I'm Josh

Hello an welcome :cool: