zeta otaku wrote:If/when I decide to retire my Mattel traps from my uniform, this is what I'm replacing it with! Fantastic work!
It's really good for cosplay as the fully 3D printed w/no electronics is just a tad over 1 lb and the fully loaded deluxe is just shy of 3lbs.

The only thing I'm missing right now is the belt mount.
Dude... this. is. so. cool. Thanks for making the files available to us all!
B-Rad wrote:absolutely love this and something I definitely plan to add to my list of projects I want to do. For those of us who neither have room or can afford a 3D printer is there any recommendations for a place to get these printed?
If it's OK with countspatula, there are several members of GBFans with 3D printers. Some of us may be willing to print parts at-cost to see more of these kits in the wild.
Tyrael wrote:
B-Rad wrote:absolutely love this and something I definitely plan to add to my list of projects I want to do. For those of us who neither have room or can afford a 3D printer is there any recommendations for a place to get these printed?
If it's OK with countspatula, there are several members of GBFans with 3D printers. Some of us may be willing to print parts at-cost to see more of these kits in the wild.
Totally - I released it under a non-commercial license so it doesn't show up on eBay, Shapeways, etc, but that is totally within spirit of the release. I'd expect a little added for your time as well since these take around 24 hours to print. Appreciate a credit as well.
Tyrael wrote:
I would be 100% on board with paying someone to do this.
B-Rad liked this
I would most certainly be interested in a "run" for the prints if someone put such a thing together. I just can't bring myself to buy a 3D printer just yet, I feel like I need to wait a generation or two before I take the leap.
countspatula wrote:
Tyrael wrote: If it's OK with countspatula, there are several members of GBFans with 3D printers. Some of us may be willing to print parts at-cost to see more of these kits in the wild.
Totally - I released it under a non-commercial license so it doesn't show up on eBay, Shapeways, etc, but that is totally within spirit of the release. I'd expect a little added for your time as well since these take around 24 hours to print. Appreciate a credit as well.
Completely understandable. I released the files to my Gigameter under the same license and stipulations. :-)
I updated the printing guide that comes with the file downloads. Fixed a few boo-boos and added exploded diagrams.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1394492

Also getting questions about scale of parts so I added a 1" cube and 20mm cube to the STL files. Depending on what units you are using in your slicer, open either one with the other parts and confirm it matches either 1" or 20mm. If it does, the parts should all be at scale.
So here is a question... I am checking out 3dhubs.com to see where I can get these printed, and they give options for type of material to have it printed on. I literally know nothing about 3d printing for the types of materials it can be printed with. Some of the options offered are 'general purpose plastics', 'high detail resin', 'strong and flexible nylon', and 'rigid opaque plastic' to name a few. Is there a preferred material to use?
thebigone2087 wrote:So here is a question... I am checking out 3dhubs.com to see where I can get these printed, and they give options for type of material to have it printed on. I literally know nothing about 3d printing for the types of materials it can be printed with. Some of the options offered are 'general purpose plastics', 'high detail resin', 'strong and flexible nylon', and 'rigid opaque plastic' to name a few. Is there a preferred material to use?
An FDM (aka FFF) print out of ABS or PLA will be just fine. Resin is overkill and expensive and unless you get the right stuff will be more brittle than the ABS or PLA. ABS is my favorite as it has some give, same stuff LEGO is made of. PLA will probably be more common and while more brittle than ABS worked out fine. Both of mine are PLA.
thebigone2087 liked this
Thank you all for the kind words. This has blown up way more than I could have imagined - feeling that pressure to get all the guides done! Anyway, been seeing some comments that it would be awesome for the trap to smoke/shake when closed. And, yes, my original intention was to have ghost noises, smoke and shaking when closed. I had a vibration motor but ran out of space and time. I'm sure things could be rearranged to accommodate it at some point. Ghost noises would be easy enough to add and there is an option in the existing code to have the smoke turn on when the trap is closed. The problem is the doors fit so well against the top that very little smoke comes out. I think I just came up with the solution which is to also put ports on the outside of the lip. This is what the inside of the lip looks like now, the beauty of 3D printing in this case was the ability to run a pipe on the inside. The inlet for the smoke pump is below:

I'll try to get to this and upload a new version in the next day or so. Hopefully you haven't printed that part yet. I look forward to the alternate versions of code that will pop up once we release it. The trap will be rolling around by itself soon enough. My plan is to do an electronics guide that you can get with the smoke and door mech kits and we'll release the code then. At the very least the code and a list of parts will be available to all.

Sean
f-ing brilliant. This is seriously taking the trap to an entirely new level. What you have done for the community is nothing short of remarkable.
zeta otaku liked this
I uploaded a dual outlet version of the top frame. In theory this will allow the trap to smoke better when the doors are closed. Should print fine, but currently untested with actual smoke.

Trap: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1394492

Also added drilling templates to Pedal. These are for when you use real Hammond boxes. 3D print, fold around back of box, mark holes and drill. See Print Guide v4 for hole sizes. Experimental - double check with hardware before drilling.

Pedal: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1394639
Tyrael liked this
Been getting a lot of questions concerning parts, kits, assembly guides, electronics, code, etc. To answer a few questions:

Will you be selling completed traps?
Probably at some point but it will be a ways down the road.

Can I buy 3D printed parts from you?
I may run off parts later, but right now I'm swamped. Looks like some folks maybe doing them in the Classified section here. I would also look at local hackerspaces and possibly 3Dhubs.com. I've seen some ridiculous price quotes, as a ballpark I would probably charge around $175-$200.

Will the aluminum plates in the GBFans shop fit the trap?
Almost definitely no - my trap was not designed with those in mind and the overall size will probably be different and the holes will definitely not line up.

Can I have a list of electronics? And the code?
I don't have that ready yet, see below for more info.

If you're printing your own trap (or having someone print it) right off the bat it's good to know that you can go ahead and print out everything and easily install deluxe parts and/or the electronics later - that's how I designed it.

Download Trap files here, there's a link within for Pedal: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1394492

Download all files and look at the Ghost Trap Print Guide.pdf - it has guidelines for printing the parts and what parts you need for a Standard or Deluxe kit. The Standard is 3D printed as much as possible. The Deluxe assumes you are going to replace as many parts with real hardware as possible (handle, resistor, knobs, wheels, etc). Deluxe parts generally include those needed for installing electronics (there's not that many). The guide also includes a list of hardware needed to assemble the fully 3D printed kits.

Currently I have all the Assembly Guides done - download here:
http://www.charlesworth-dynamics.com/20 ... tions.html

After all the assembly guides are done, I'll be working on an electronics guide. This will be the one guide I will probably sell as it's a ton of work. I'll probably sell the guide along with the parts for the smoke pump and the door mechanism plus some other oddball electronics that are hard to find. I will include a list of parts to purchase from Adafruit (or elsewhere) and you will have to buy e-cigarettes for smoke. Currently the Adafruit parts and e-cigs run close to $200. I'm sure there's cheaper ways to put the electronics together but with our time limit we went with a place we knew had good stuff that would just work. Electronics guide and smoke/door parts price TBD.

When I release the electronics guide I will also release for free: Adafruit shopping list, Arduino code, edited SFX

Read about how the trap was designed here, videos about the trap at end of article:
http://www.tested.com/tech/3d-printing/ ... host-trap/
Last edited by countspatula on March 23rd, 2016, 10:25 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Tyrael wrote:Out of curiosity, what e-cigarettes and air pump did you use? I'm not familiar enough with either to identify based off the videos.
Joyetech e-Roll Starter Kit with vegetable glycerin. The air pump was nothing specific, I had to search eBay until I found a 6V air pump with BOTH an inlet and outlet. Most just have the inlet. Ooops, strike that, reverse it. Most pumps just have the outlet.
Last edited by countspatula on March 22nd, 2016, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I was thinking of using a large vaping atomizer with a mini centrifugal air blower. Would probably use a different battery pack then vaping batteries and use a relay or mosfet with it. I want a large amout of smoke billowing out :)
I'm on a roll! The Trap Deluxe Assembly Guide is done:
http://www.charlesworth-dynamics.com/20 ... tions.html

This guide covers adding as much real hardware to the Trap as possible. It covers using parts from my Kit as well as identifying many of them. While it's not an electronics or mechanical guide it does cover and list some key parts that get installed during the build or used for aesthetic reasons even if they aren't functional (ie: front bargraph plate). It also goes into finishing a bit more and making real aluminum side plates.
thebigone2087 liked this
Hey, just curious if you know if the aluminum plates sold here I the shop will work with your trap?
echo419 wrote:I was thinking of using a large vaping atomizer with a mini centrifugal air blower. Would probably use a different battery pack then vaping batteries and use a relay or mosfet with it. I want a large amout of smoke billowing out :)
Yes, look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with. I originally intended to use a bigger vape unit, but those all require a button to be held down in order to heat it up which complicated matters. The ones I used are pressure activated which kept it simple. Even with designing the trap to have as much room as possible, I quickly started running out of it with speakers, lights, Arduino and a small pump. Further complicated by the fact that I needed an easy way to access the e-cigs for refilling - done via magnetic cover on back.

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]