With the recent number of trailers, TV spots, and production photos, we've gotten a pretty decent concept of the new Ghost Trap. I read that the design was based on an industrial-grade rat trap, which seems like a natural fit given the exterminator aspect of ghostbusting.

Schematic

Official Website Photo

In this photo the trap has what appears to be a length of 3/4" split loom ruuning alongth the length of the main tube. There appear to be 97 notches in the loom, which suggests a length of 13.375" for the main trap housing.

The light is green...

...and turns red upon incarceration of the ghost.

The trap is worn underneath the bend of the motherboard with breakaway or velcro straps for easy access. Wearing the trap on the pack is not only practical, but seems to be yet another homage to The Real Ghostbusters.

In addition to having a traditional foot pedal and cord, the trap seems to be able to be remotely controlled from the device on Holtzmann's arm.

This photo, from some sort of basketball promo (not sure of the relation between the two) offers some very useful information regarding the dimensions of the trap. First of all, having the pack, which we have pretty solid measurements of at this point, on the same vertical plane as the trap can give us a rough idea of the dimensions.

We know that the pack is roughly 20" long x 12.5" wide, with a 29" thrower (20" from the gun box to the barrel tip), and a Cryogen Reservoir plus Power Cell bar of 12" x 5.75". Doing some crude measurements in Photoshop, it looks like the trap is about 20" from the handle to the rear project box, which might be about 2" thick, giving us a total length of just under 22". Given the previous measurement of 13.375" for the main tube, 2" for the project box, at least 1.5" for the handle (16.5" total), that leaves about 5.125" for the space between the main tube and rear project box (which doesn't seem right).

The diameter of the main tube, based on the toolbox lid, seems to match fairly close, suggesting an outer diameter of 5.75" - 6". Again, these are all just crude dimensions made by extrapolating measurements of known objects.

Thoughts?
A nice clear shot of the pedal - looks surprisingly simple.

I find it odd that these traps lack wheels (just like the RGB versions), but they do seem to have a "sled" of some sort; perhaps this helps slide the trap under the ghosts...

A good profile view of the trap. This particular trap, which has a traditional cable, seems to lack the rear project box. I'm guessing that said project box is the wireless receiver for Holtzmann's remote pedal relay device.

EDIT: The box mounted on the end of the trap (seen in the first official photo) could be the pedal itself with, possibly with a retractable cord.
MonaLS liked this
Thank you for starting this discussion, I have been gathering all I can find on this and had the same thought once I saw the Kobe stuff today about the scaling, well done.

So I would imagine this is custom, a prop makers chance to show off or even get hired but if it's not I think a good starting place for the main cylinder would be a vintage large Thermal Jug they are available in about that size, metal, with ribs, even the end cap and handle make me think of more modern plastic thermal jugs. That having been said I have yet to find any that are that close of a match, the trap ribs appear to have inconsistent spacing, and have deep groves, which again makes me think it's custom or perhaps two of something joined at the center?

Also while where posting what few trap images we have i thought I would add these:

Personally, I love the new trap. It has a really cool, unique look to it. All the new tech shown has a lot of personality, which is one of the reasons I'm staying optimistic (I was told that Feig had no say over Sony's choice of Fall Out Boy for the theme, though someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Plus, inexperienced as I am at making the tools of the trade, the new trap looks like something I could probably actually build and carry with my existing equipment, which is always a plus.
MonaLS liked this
My Guard unit has two silver thermoses reminiscent of these. The price on the property books is over $1,000. I'm not willing to take a statement of charges for either one.
Ryan The Ghostbuster wrote:Thank you for starting this discussion, I have been gathering all I can find on this and had the same thought once I saw the Kobe stuff today about the scaling, well done.

So I would imagine this is custom, a prop makers chance to show off or even get hired but if it's not I think a good starting place for the main cylinder would be a vintage large Thermal Jug they are available in about that size, metal, with ribs, even the end cap and handle make me think of more modern plastic thermal jugs. That having been said I have yet to find any that are that close of a match, the trap ribs appear to have inconsistent spacing, and have deep groves, which again makes me think it's custom or perhaps two of something joined at the center?

Also while where posting what few trap images we have i thought I would add these:

MonaLS liked this
By Anima
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

I've been looking at eBay for vintage thermoses, and this is the closest match I've found so far, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uno-Vac-Beehive ... Sw9N1VsVYd Most of the 'ribbed thermos' matches have ribs far too close together. If you look at the picture of it with the cap removed, even the tapered mouth of it looks more like the pointier end of the trap-tube than most thermoses do. Might be the right brand at least, if that's actually a thermos mouth still intact on the trap and not some piece added later. (Same for the base with its grooves. Not many vintage thermoses had anything like that, it seems.)
MonaLS liked this
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Anima wrote:I've been looking at eBay for vintage thermoses, and this is the closest match I've found so far, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uno-Vac-Beehive ... Sw9N1VsVYd Most of the 'ribbed thermos' matches have ribs far too close together. If you look at the picture of it with the cap removed, even the tapered mouth of it looks more like the pointier end of the trap-tube than most thermoses do. Might be the right brand at least, if that's actually a thermos mouth still intact on the trap and not some piece added later. (Same for the base with its grooves. Not many vintage thermoses had anything like that, it seems.)
Glad to see others are looking, good find that might make a decent kids version but remember the grooves are suppose to concave not convex, and it would be a bit larger than that, but we'll track it down somehow.. keep an eye out. For all we know it is made from the interior vacuum chamber of a thermos (or just an all together custom piece) so it may be impossible to track down without destroying a variety thermos.
MonaLS liked this
I messaged Ghost Corps about the basic dimensions of the trap and got the following reply:

"Hello! The only dimensions I have on the trap are that it is 20.5in long, and approx. 6in wide."

Not very specific, but at least I was pretty close with my original measurements that I extrapolated from the first few photos of the trap. :)

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]

After 2 years of this failed Walmart trap conversi[…]

Wanna play Unleashed with me?

I'm ready big man whenever you want let's goooooo.[…]