By robpenfold
Ok folks, probably a noob question; how the <bleep> do you tap the aluminum pedal base? I bought the one from the shop which is awesome. I'm trying to do a preliminary assembly before I take it apart and paint. I have all my holes drill on the base. Using a tap to thread the holes is a bitch. I had my tap break of in one of the holes. Now I have two problems; I have to get the broken tap out and I have to figure out how to thread the rest (of course I will by a replacement tap).

Does anyone have any tips to make this painful process easier?

Thanks
By CPU64
Aluminum binds very easily when tapping. It's a pain if you try to go straight through.
You have to make sure first to use the correct drill bit for the tap, second you have to make sure it starts straight into the hole, any angle and it will bind, make sure to use oil while tapping, I use motor oil and it works great.
Now for the most important step, you have to use a forward and reverse motion while cutting metal in small steps, and back away completely after each few cutting turns to clear the tap groves. If you try to go several turns without going back and forth, the tap will eventually get tight, and trying to back it out at that point will lock the tap and it will snap.

Another thing, if your tap holder has a handle that slides side to side, use it in the middle, you want as little leverage as possible.
I hope that helps.

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]

Hard to tell if it’s an actual black fligh[…]