Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By Bob Wobbaz
Was watching Ghostbusters last night and it occured to me, sure the guys all have their surnames on their uniforms, but Ray is the only one who isn't adressed by it. The three guys call him Ray exclusively. Peter gets "Pete, Peter, Venkman and Venky" Egon gets "Egon and Spengler", Winston get's "Winston and Z". Ray just seems to get called Ray. Anyone else pick up on this?
By kevinj319
Peter does introduce him as Dr. Stantz, but he was not directly addressing Ray.
By The Stiff
And what's the deal with the bizarre surnames? You'd think at least one of them would have a more common last name, but there is no Thompson, Smith, Johnson, Williams, Jones or Brown. :whatever:
By JayCasa
Egon calls Ray 'Raymond' one time if I can remember correctly.
By RayGBuster
in gb2 at the man hole talkin too the cops pete calls him raymond, and something i couldnt make out for egon
By RedVirtue
RayGBuster wrote:in gb2 at the man hole talkin too the cops pete calls him raymond, and something i couldnt make out for egon
Venkman called Egon "Ziggy".
By Zack
I recall one instance in Real Ghostbusters. "The Old College Spirit" Peter calls him Stantz and it sounds incredibly forced...

maybe because it's one syllable it doesn't sound as good!
By Fritz
Yeah. That was a little odd. The writer of that episode didn't write many (that may have been his only one; if I wasn't so lazy I'd go verify that :lol:) and may have noticed the characters referred to each other by last name a lot in the movie, but not having watched it as obsessively as we do and memorized every line, he may not have noticed that Ray's the exception.

Then again, twenty four years later, I still tend to refer to Venkman by his last name, as they usually did in the first movie, even though the cartoon called him Peter all the time.
By luke warmwater
Doesn't Venkman introduce Ray to the crowd outside Spook Central as "Dr Ray Stantz, the heart of the Ghostbusters"?
By kevinj319
luke warmwater wrote:Doesn't Venkman introduce Ray to the crowd outside Spook Central as "Dr Ray Stantz, the heart of the Ghostbusters"?
Also as Dr. Stantz in the library
By JurorNo.2
The Stiff wrote:And what's the deal with the bizarre surnames? You'd think at least one of them would have a more common last name, but there is no Thompson, Smith, Johnson, Williams, Jones or Brown. :whatever:
I know this is an older post, but can I just say, the uncommon surnames is a big reason I've always loved Ghostbusters. I get so tired of Hollywood being uncreative with names, even to this day. And now that I think about it, you can also see the unusual surname trend in some of Aykroyd and Ramis' other movies like Spies Like Us, Dragnet, Animal House, and Caddyshack.
Sav C, The Stiff liked this
By JurorNo.2
Sav C wrote:I'm pretty sure they made up Venkman and Zeddemore. I like the non-generic names too!
Yeah, I have suspected as much, lol.

It's also cool that ATC continued the trend with Holtzmann (i.e. a character known by their last name more than the first).
Sav C liked this

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]

At some point, probably just better off opening up[…]

Spengler/84 wand Gun Track

So...I had more than a little problem with dis[…]