Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By PaulyShoreRules
I did when it first premiered on my 7th birthday on June 16 1989 and me and my family and friends went on opening day as one of my birthday presents, i saw it 2 more times and i dug it as the first.

I even had a GB birthday cake with favors and a few toys and all that.
By ImLost3
I remember the day vividly. I had just turned 10 years old 17 days before it was the last day of 5th grade, my mom and Grandma picked me up from school and we went immediately to a movie theater, which has since closed up and became a DSW. I never saw Ghostbusters in theaters, so GB2 was my first Ghostbusters on the big screen experience. It probably explains my unnatural love for that film which despite it's flaws I adore it as much as GB1.
Spengs liked this
By Spengs
Both movies are very close to me for different reasons. When Ghostbusters II was in theaters (swear it was the first run as it wasn't in my area of Jersey until November) my aunt and uncle (who was more like a brother) took me and their 3 year old son (my cousin LOVED Ghostbusters because of me) to a evening show at what was the historic Franklin Theater in Nutley, NJ.

I still remember before going into the theater running into friends of theirs who had seen the previous show. I was 12 then and didn't want to be spoiled to anything I hadn't already seen from the trailers or from advertisements. This young girl told me something like Egon turns into a monster. Of course she meant Ray, (and it really wasn't a monster, semantics :D ) I was thinking I didn't want to hear about the movie before I saw it. I'm sure like many of you I wanted to experience Ghostbusters II, especially that first time.

During the movie as the four of us are sitting there, I still can remember my uncle saying a swear word when Dana took her shirt off in her bathroom. Maybe he didn't want his young nephew and even younger son to see that. Obviously he and I weren't thinking of Ghostbusters when Zuul is heavily seducing Peter.

About a moment later of course when the bathtub comes to life, they covered my cousin's eyes. Similar to Ghostbusters, scenes like that felt 'real' and I had a sense of wonderment about it. To my young cousin's credit I don't recall him being scared or ever getting upset by the ghosts, Vigo, or Yanosh. :mrgreen:
By Kid Chameleon
The first film I got to see in the cinema was Wayne's World (1992) when I was 11. I remember seeing GB2 on a big screen when I was staying at a holiday camp circa 1990 but it wasn't a proper cinema and I had already seen the film through VHS rental.
By Alex Newborn
I've told this story several times, but since you asked...

I was 19 years old. My neighbor Craig and I bought tickets to the noon AND 2pm matinees, so we watched it twice back-to-back on opening day June 16th.

I was corresponding at the time (via a pre-internet method now referred to as 'snail mail') with James Van Hise, the writer for the NOW Comics 'Real Ghostbusters' title. I would occasionally provide him VHS copies of episodes of the cartoon as research, and in return he would send me proof art and comic scripts, or items like the UK novelization of the movie, Don Shay's Making Ghostbusters, and a photocopy of the script of the first film.

He had been adapting the second film for the comic tie-in, but due to his NDA with Columbia, had been very tight-lipped about details. Knowing he was working from the script, I asked for a copy, and he said he'd send me one as soon as the movie was out in theatres.

So at 4pm after watching the movie twice, I returned home and found a copy of the script in the mailbox, meaning he had technically mailed it out BEFORE he was allowed to release it, timing it perfectly so I had it as soon as humanly possible.

A cool enough story, but wow, just think what it would have been like to get that package a day early and not be able to tell a soul.

Alex
castewar, roopjm liked this
By undead ghosthead
I did! It was during the summer and I was 9. I remember my aunt taking my sister and I to see it. I think it was the week before that we had gotten the little sound making toys from Hardee's. I got a white one and my sister the red one, IIRC. My aunt had already seen it and kept trying to get me to guess "who's shoe that was in the commercial on TV", I hadn't seen the trailer in a while but probably hadn't even paid that much attention to it but she annoyed me while trying to get me to guess. I said with a frustrated "I don't know!" so many times lol...ugh. So we went to it and watched it and I loved it. I was a little disappointed there wasn't as much busting going on compared to the 1st or so my 9 year old mind thought but I loved the court room scene and thought the slime blower was neat but still preferred(er) the proton pack.

When the boys took lady liberty down the streets of Manhattan and the car crushing scene, I finally figured out what my Aunt was talking about...I still didn't care though lol.

I had a couple of friends who we were huge GB fans and always watched the first one on VHS(their copy), before 2nd even came out. They had their Kenner packs, trap and a bunch of the figures/ghosts, and I still didn't get mine until that Christmas, but we always played.

Wow...I feel old now just thinking about it now as I just turned 35 last week lol.
I had the pleasure of seeing Ghostbusters II twice during the summer of 1989. This was the first time I had gone to see a movie twice in the theatres. I remember wearing my glow in the dark Ghostbusters t shirt to the second screening with my aunt and my sister. What made it a great experience both times was I saw it at my favorite venue, The Jericho Drive In theatre in Delmar NY.

After seeing the movie during the summer, I made sure to pick up as many Ghostbusters II goodies as possible. I got the Sears child size tan jumpsuit, the Kenner Ecto Charger(which I believe was either a Birthday or Christmas present), the trading card set from Topps, The Fuji film Ecto 1A, both the Junior novelization by B.B. Hiller and the larger story book with pictures by R.L Stine and the films soundtrack on tape. At the moment I am working getting a complete set of the trading cards, and I plan on getting the film's poster as well(Something I meant get back in the day, but never did.)

Defiantly one of my favorite memories from childhood and I still enjoy seeing the film today despite its flaws.
By ecto1matt
That is cool. GBII was also the first film a saw twice in the theater and haven't done the same since. Second time the film stopped when the power went off and back on after a few minutes during some rain.

I couldn't get much but after losing the first one I got the GB2 Ecto1a with the slime stickers. Action figures, the Soundtrack and another lunch box. I just remembered I had to get the Fuji Film stuff to enter their contest but we got nothing from it

If I can remember right I got to stay up late one night and saw a TV spot for GBII and knew it was coming. And I believe it was a month before it hit Theaters. I don't remember any other promos since that TV spot until the week it came out.
By Chace
I saw both gb films in the theater but made the mistake on part 2 of reading the novel first and it kinda ruined the experience...never done it again.

That said I've always worn and loved Nike shoes and was never a fan of Reebok...in the novel when they are talking about padding the Statue of Liberty's feet, Venkman quips, "I don't think they make Reeboks in her size."....I was pleased to see the line changed to Nikes in the film...
Crazy how merchandising agreements can make all (or at least the majority) of the Autobots in the Transformers films GM products and can even change hypothetical shoe brands for national monuments.
By csullivan1980
I remember seeing it three times in the theater and the severed head scene scared me every time.
The Severed head scene scared me both times I saw the movie. Also Vigo really scared me as well, never before had ever seen a more creepy bad guy in a movie. In fact Vigo has since become one of my favorite movie bad guys of all time due his powers and his backstory in the film. Defiantly a worthy foe for the Ghostbusters to fight.

On another note, I did get my Ghostbusters II movie poster at last(it arrived on Halloween ironically), I just need to frame it. Also I finally got a Hook and Ladder 8 company patch as well. In fact I got two, one to put on a hat and another to keep at home.
By Ivo Shandor
I was 16. Had no car so walked 3 miles to the cinema to wait in line over an hour to get in. Saw it 5 times at theaters alone.

As for Batman...liked that movie but it pissed me off that it came out 2 weeks after GB2 and basically sucked all the wind out of it.

If not for Batman GB2 would have grossed over $200 mil for sure.
By JurorNo.2
Yes, my Dad took me to see it. I'm pretty sure I'd only seen the cartoon before then, because I remember, during Egon's first scene, thinking, "Ohhh, so that's real life Egon! I get it!" Lol

There were a lot of those surreal recognition moments in the 80s/early 90s when so many movies were made into cartoons. Same thing happened to me with Police Academy, of all things!
By Alphagaia
Saw the first movie when I was 5 years old in theaters. Could not understand a word they were saying, I'm Dutch, but I loved it! And was deadly afraid of ghosts, hehe. Saw the second one in theatres as well. I remember being let down by how Slimer looked and acted, and the 'slow'(for a kid) start, while the new music took some getting used to, but I was having a blast!
By ccv66
I was 4 and because of the trailers I memorized the day it opened in theaters. So everyday i would ask if it was June 16th yet. Unfortunately my sister was born the same day GB2 came out. So my parents lied to me for a month. It was july and they still kept telling me it wasnt june 16th yet. I eventually got to see it later that month and Loved it. The only thing that upset me when i saw it is i didnt recognize winston with the flat top and no moustache. I thought they got a different actor. The old black guy switcheroo. Like the producers thought i was too stupid to notice. Wasn't till years later that I realized ernie hudson was in both movies.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By DarkSpectre
I was 8 that summer and I was majorly into GB, RGB was still going strong on Saturday mornings and toys were everywhere. That's why I take offense to people being so judgemental of GB 2. Sure I had seen the original when I was 3 but this one I saw when I was old enough to pay attention. So GB2 has a special resonance to me.

Where do the other ends of the red/yellow wire[…]

There's some fun dialogue TV-edits, a replacement […]

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/37016683[…]

Between the terror dogs in GB1 and the Boogieman i[…]