Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By frankfish01
I dont know if this has been posted before (i did a search in the GB and GB II forum, and found nothing).

I got a new portable DVD player yesterday, and tested it out with 2 DVDs: GBI and GBII. I noticed something really interesting...the sound effect of the proton stream changed slightly from one movie to the next (in two ways).

1) Scenes of comparison: When Ray 1st fires on slimer in the hotel (vs.) When Peter fires on the fatter Scoleri brother in the courtroom.
~the initial trigger sound in the courtroom almost has a "power up" @ the beginning

and the other difference:

2)Scenes of comparison: When they wind slimer in the proton stream (vs.) When Peter winds the same brother in the courtroom.
~in the first movie, there's a lot of bass to slimers capture, while in the second...it's almost as if the sound matches the stream's whipping around the ghost

anyways...just some food for thought :)
By jimbo7
yea id REALLY like to find that sound file to add to my pack..(the gb2 firing effect) i think the start up noise at the beginning sounds really cool...anybody know where to find this??
By Bob Wobbaz
I believe Shoot Sequence 2 from the video game has that sort've start up sound you're hearing at the start of it. I must say, its my favourite of the lot, sounds really heavy
What? I don't know what you're getting at. There was a thread on here not too long ago that had all the sound effects from the game in a downloadable zip file. The one sound effect with the slight pack start sound to it is shoot sequence 2 in that pack. Also noticed that you can hear more electrical buzzing in the game sound effects over the standard pack sounds.
Someone also had a program not too long ago that was liscenced by Sony. After searching through the default sound files they were able to find and upload some stream sound fx that are likley the same ones actually used in the film.
Sorry for necroing an old thread, but aside from the differences in thrower sounds from part 1 and 2, there were plenty of variations in thrower sound in the first film alone, and it would be fantastic to isolate or replicate these sounds.

For example, note the really erratic 'warbling' of Spengler's stream at the bar in the Sedgewick, or the 'cool' startup of Venkman's stream firing (see you on the other side, Ray). There's also the 'whoosh' echo when Gozer disappears. Loads of stuff!

I did find a video which has what sounds like a homebrew GB2 firing (with the quick startup burst), 3rd sound in the clip.

One time liked this
I've busied myself recently with re-editing the proton stream sounds in preparation for a fan film down the road. When listening closely to the movie, I notice that at the tail end of the streams, there is a high-pitched "whoosh" sound.
The chime at the beginning of the GB2 proton stream effect is the same sound that was used for the Pack start-up sound in the Real Ghostbusters. I've been looking forever for a clean recording of just the start up noise, which is noticeably different from the start up noise in the films.
I always preferred the GB II stream both visually and acoustically. It was definitely further influenced by the most common stream sound used in RGB. I was very pleased that GB:TVG used that version when a ghost is in the capture stream, nice balance of the two versions.
FossilizedArt wrote:
Dan AKA wrote:This is awesome, I'd love a randomized set of proton stream sound effects for my pack.
Yes, randomized, or even better, could you imagine utilizing a knob (perhaps the big silver side knob behind the heatsink) to select between one sound and another when fire is pressed?
Or a gaff sound of the deep buzz that was used as a stand in sound from the trailers. Haha
FossilizedArt wrote: June 15th, 2014, 5:50 pm Sorry for necroing an old thread, but aside from the differences in thrower sounds from part 1 and 2, there were plenty of variations in thrower sound in the first film alone, and it would be fantastic to isolate or replicate these sounds.

For example, note the really erratic 'warbling' of Spengler's stream at the bar in the Sedgewick, or the 'cool' startup of Venkman's stream firing (see you on the other side, Ray). There's also the 'whoosh' echo when Gozer disappears. Loads of stuff!

I did find a video which has what sounds like a homebrew GB2 firing (with the quick startup burst), 3rd sound in the clip.

That youtube video is amazing! I prefer the GB1 streams visually though. They look beefier.
Kingpin wrote: January 12th, 2020, 2:22 pm It depends greatly if anyone still has copies of the audio files.
in fact I hope so, because it cannot be found. having made a replica of the Proton pack of the second film I would have liked to have the right audio.

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]