Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
DrRchrz60 wrote:Really?? Ghostbusters maybe had 1 or 2 bad words, and any of the other "Adult Humor" would go right over a child's head. My daughters watched it in school last Halloween and they were in 2nd and 3rd grade, so you know if a school shows it, you really don't need a "TV Edited" version. Best of luck finding one though.
I assure you there's more than 1 or 2 bad words.

"We came, we saw, we kicked it's ass", Winston and Dana Barret each have a moment where they say "Oh shit", "This man has no dick", calling Peck "dickless", "I have seen shit that will turn you white!", "Let's show this prehistoric bitch how we do things down town!", the TV edit also omits when Peter says "Make'em hard" and the part where Ray gets a blowjob. There might be more but this is what I could think of off the top of my head. I kind of don't remember Dana saying "I want you inside me" in the TV edit, but I might be wrong.
zombielucas wrote:If TK5759 can't find his, I am pretty sure my folks have the ABC version recorded on VHS. No guarantees on the quality. We watched it a lot growing :P
I also just checked with my parents to see if they might still have it. I'm meeting up with them this weekend so hopefully they do otherwise I'll have to go digging again.
DrGrim wrote: I kind of don't remember Dana saying "I want you inside me" in the TV edit, but I might be wrong.
They drop the audio on the last two words. All that's left is "I want you".

Does anyone remember if they left in the part about Stay-Puft being a sailor in NY?

Alex
Noremon liked this
Yeah, I checked the pixelated version on SpookCentral. It cuts that entire speech out. It goes straight from Ray saying "... killed by a hundred-foot marshmallow man" to the shot of the flaming SPMM climbing up the side of Central Park West, with that great music sting.

http://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/ ... 9-1989.htm

(This particular edit occurs in segment 13 of the left-hand version.)

Alex
That explains something that was bugging me yesterday. We were shooting a spoof of that scene for a friend's documentary, and I could not for the life of me think what the 'clean' version of "prehistoric b*tch" was from the edited version.

I plan to sit down soon and make a list of all the changes and deletions.

Alex
TK5759 wrote:So it appears that I don't have this video in my attic. I still have a few other places in my house that I still need to go through as well as my parent's house. I'll keep you all updated.
Thanks for looking. GB1 was on CMT the other night, and the quality was definately not HD (which got my hopes up), but unfortunately it was not edited.
montclaire wrote:
TK5759 wrote:So it appears that I don't have this video in my attic. I still have a few other places in my house that I still need to go through as well as my parent's house. I'll keep you all updated.
Thanks for looking. GB1 was on CMT the other night, and the quality was definately not HD (which got my hopes up), but unfortunately it was not edited.
Kinda shocking how TV edits have changed over the years. I remember watching Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom on USA many years ago. Especially the part where Mola-Ram removes the guys' heart before lowering him into the pit and then fast-forward about 15 years and getting the DVD and watching the same scene. Woah. :cool:
Like I said though, Mom's going to look at her house too-she told me last night that my Dad's been working on converting all their old VHS to DVD so if they still have the VHS, maybe this is already done? I know they wouldn't throw it out since it was on the same tape as my Dad's recording of Patton.
Alex Newborn liked this
I decided that I too would check my own archives, but I'm sick to my stomach to realize my own copy has been misplaced.

I have shifted through three locations of old VHS tapes here at my house.

I found 19 different tapes marked 'Real Ghostbusters', and several non-cartoon tapes with GB content.

I had a momentary flash of elation with one tape that was quickly dashed when I realized it was the ABC broadcast of GB2, not GB1.

I will continue to search.

Alex
Alex Newborn wrote:I plan to sit down soon and make a list of all the changes and deletions.
I realized this task was already mostly done for me on the same SpookCentral page that I keep linking, but it did appear that he left some out, like Dana's "GD it" and the "You can believe Mr. Wick"/"My name is Peck" substitution.

He also claims that "I want you" is an alternate take of "I want you inside me" but it's the same footage, they just edited the audio. Watch her lip sync... she still mouths the entire line, but they slid "I want you" to the final mouth movements and put a small moan in at the beginning to cover the gap.

Here's my revised list of alterations done for the ABC version...

"It's pi$$ing me off" is cut, new camera angle used to cover the edit
"Running your a$$es off" portion of line is cut
Dana's "G**dammit this wasn't here!" is trimmed to just "Dammit this wasn't here!"
"We came, we saw, we kicked its a$$" is replaced by alternate take "What a knockabout of pure fun that was!"
The Dream Ghost portion of the montage is cut
"I'll sue your a$$..." is replaced by alternate take "I'll sue your funny face for wrongful prosecution."
Dana's "Oh $hit!" is replaced by alternate take "Oh No!"
"I want you inside me" is trimmed to just "I want you"
Carriage driver's "What an a$$hole!" is cut
Peck's "wisea$$" is cut
Egon's "Oh $hit!" is cut, new camera angle used to cover the edit
Egon's "Your mother!" audio is deleted
"D!ckless" is replaced by alternate take "Wally Wick"
"I have seen $hit..." is replaced by alternate take "I have seen stuff that will turn you white!"
"You can believe Mr. P*cker" is replaced by alternate take "You can believe Mr. Wick"
"Make 'em hard!" is replaced by alternate take "Ten Hut!"
Winston's "Oh $hit!" audio is deleted
"Mother pus bucket!" is cut
"We get this guy laid" speech is cut
"The superintendent's gonna be pi$$ed" is cut

That's twenty items they decided to alter for being too vulgar or suggestive.

And, for those claiming there are only one or two swear words, we can see that there are actually thirteen that got cut.

Two variations of pi$$, five of a$$, four $hits, and two slang words for male genitalia were deemed unusable by 1989 broadcast television standards. They also wouldn't allow Dana to say GD, though they did allow just the "dammit" portion.

And they DID allow "prehistoric b&tch" so that brings the total to at least fifteen times they swear in the movie.

Plus, I haven't rewatched the whole thing yet, I've just been spot-checking Paul's list from SpookCentral and cueing up the 1999 DVD for comparison. There may be other things we've overlooked.

Alex
Wow... Been keeping tabs on this thread and hoping something would just pop in here... Definitely would love a copy!! I am a school teacher and have always longed to show the movie to my middle schoolers around halloween on a free day but had always worried about the semi-crass parts.
Alex Newborn liked this
I've failed all of you. :(:sigh:

My TV edit of Ghostbusters is officially no longer in existence. I've checked every box in our house as well as my parent's and it's nowhere to be found. My apologies if I got anyone's hopes up. My offer to do the transfer still stands though! :)

This is just a first quick test to make sure my equipment's working--hence only 8 minutes of footage. First VCR took a dump on me so had to switch to the backup. Please forgive the mono audio, fixing that for the full video.

Unless anyone thinks its a bad idea due to copyright or anything like that, I'll be uploading the full video to the Tube for easy access.

Enjoy!
MasterOod liked this

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]