Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By Dr_Rob_Cassidy
I love how everyone is hailing this as a good thing, when previously Master Replicas announced they had the licence some years back and the reaction was that they got torn a new a***hole for their trouble by practically the whole propbuilding side of the fandom. "You can't do that, we build our own stuff!", "Officially licenced gear will undermine our hard work" etc

My, how times change. :roll:
By Rodimus
Dr_Rob_Cassidy wrote:I love how everyone is hailing this as a good thing, when previously Master Replicas announced they had the licence some years back and the reaction was that they got torn a new a***hole for their trouble by practically the whole propbuilding side of the fandom. "You can't do that, we build our own stuff!", "Officially licenced gear will undermine our hard work" etc

My, how times change. :roll:
I'll wait and see. I prefer to build my own, however I do use the Matty pkes.
By Dr_Rob_Cassidy
Rodimus wrote:
I'll wait and see. I prefer to build my own, however I do use the Matty pkes.
Oh without a doubt. The Matty PKE was a godsend. Fully functional at only $60, compared to the kind of prices it used to cost to build one? Not to mention it's pretty hard-wearing...mine is scuffed in places and I dropped it many times but it's still working like new. I've never had to replace it with the backup I still have boxed. Not that I'll need to use either now I've hung up my gear, but I'll hang onto the stuff for my potential kids :)

The added bonus with the Matty PKE was that, as predicted on this very board when it was first seen at a con, the first people out of the gate complaining about it were those charging exorbitant amounts for PKE electronics...that was delicious to watch :D
deadderek liked this
By Kingpin
Dr_Rob_Cassidy wrote:the first people out of the gate complaining about it were those charging exorbitant amounts for PKE electronics...that was delicious to watch :D
Speaking as someone who also isn't that knowledgeable about electronics, it can be quite easy to rule a kit maker's kit is exorbitantly priced when I don't actually know anything about what goes into making one.

However as an artist who has produced paid-for commissions, I can see how there is often a significant disconnect between what people think is a fair price for a commission, and what actually is a fair price given the work involved. Not every seller is out to fleece people, and not every customer has a reasonable expectation for what something costs.
ladydragonqueen wrote:Does anyone have any additional news on this?
At the moment there's no new information. As those who've posted here will be subject to confidentiality clauses, we probably won't hear anything until an official announcement.
By pyhasanon
halliwax, barison82 liked this
By Lowberg
I'm very very skeptical.

The pictures they used to show a "Completed prototype kit. Subject to change" are clearly of a full hero Aluminum thrower, with metal knobs, metal heatsink , dry rub decals, real hat lights real clippard, bargraph bezel, accurate screws.....Obviously a top of the line fan made replica.....

.....and then the description says "Components are made from polyurethane, PVC, and ABS plastic."

I have a feeling that the photos are very misleading and are not the same parts included in the kit.
They should release a full list of included parts.
Lowberg wrote:The pictures they used to show a "Completed prototype kit. Subject to change" are clearly of a full hero Aluminum thrower, with metal knobs, metal heatsink , dry rub decals, real hat lights real clippard, bargraph bezel, accurate screws.....Obviously a top of the line fan made replica......
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the pack in the photos was in fact a fan-made replica.

There's also mention of a "metal armature" inside the supposed fiberglass shell; this also seems suspicious, as the screen-used packs (and virtually all fiberglass replicas) have never needed any kind of additional support, as fiberglass is extremely durable. They might end up using a thin ABS or other plastic in lieu of fiberglass, which would warrant additional support.
By zeta otaku
O_O

You...

That price...

-glances at his pack that held up better than any pack of his before- You better keep looking pretty or I'm ripping out your guts, hanging you on a wall, and wearing this thing forever :D

Seriously, that price is incredible for what you get! Kinda wish they had the GB1 style straps for the frame, but that's a minor quibble :D
By pyhasanon
To my knowledge, the photos they have used in the past were of Sean Bishop's pack... whether these are the same, I'm not quite sure...
By pyhasanon
halliwax wrote:is it going to have electronics? 600 bucks that sure is a cheap price
No electronics and no ALICE frame/straps... The ALICE frame and straps seem to be going for $40 on the ANOVOS site... No word yet on the electronics...
By Lowberg
Why are they using pictures of venkman71's hero pack to advertise what seems to be a plastic and resin kit? You know how many people not-in the ghostbusters community are going to look at that pictures and be like "holy sh**# that looks exactly like the real thing, let me give you my money" and then will end up getting a resin or plastic parts kit? That would be like Anovos selling Luke's lightsaber and posting photos of a Hero saber built with a vintage Graflex flash and the accurate grips and everything with a label "Product subject to Change" and then sending people PVC pipes with some resin greeblys

I'm in no way saying its a rip off, as long as the kit is decent $600 is a very good price. But I'm pretty upset and disappointed they aren't showing photos of an actual kit prototype.
By Kingpin
I'm not saying it fully justifies the use of a photo which may not reflect the final product, but there've been a few companies with licences to create replicas which've used photos of the actual props as a stand-in.

I imagine when they do have some, they'll replace the stock photos with photos of the kit.
By venkman71
In fairness,....I had amazing help from a small team of dedicated nerds. I pulled every string and begged every favor I could to get the best of materials for the builds. As far as what the final product is, that's in God's hands, I guess and I'm sure there's a host of hidden speed bumps in bringing the final product to fruition that involve things like math and schedules and economics and a host of other things that are way above my pay grade and make my tiny brain cramp up but I can tell you this,....I've been building packs since 1989 and I can say,...."I am finished doing what I swore an oath to God 28 years ago to never do again. I've created, "something that catches Ghosts." And in that purpose, I was a success. I've done this because, philosophically, I am sympathetic to we nerds. I can tell you with no ego, this is my finest pack. If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be neutranized."
Pardon the Kill Bill paraphrase but seriously, I'm glad I had 27 years, (that's funny. One year short from the Hanzo quote), to practice because I know I gave them my best work.

STILL working, actually. I hope the finished product makes people happy.

V71 :cool:
zeta otaku, 910dohead, pyhasanon and 7 others liked this
By Sp9543
I really want to pre-order one, but I can't justify the order without seeing pictures of it. Though, not matter what, after I'm finished building mine it will look like Homer Simpson's BBQ pit. Image
barison82 liked this
pyhasanon wrote:OK... Not a bad price at all...

http://www.anovos.com/collections/ghost ... roton-pack
No, Its not a bad price.

Im PISSED because I just bought everything I needed to make my own elsewhere and at a much larger price. Oh well, at least I have lights and sound. Plus this has been fun searching for what I needed and it will be fun throwing it together and saying "I found everything on my own and built it myself"well.. except for the recently acquired Matty Neutrino Wand.
venkman71 wrote:In fairness,....I had amazing help from a small team of dedicated nerds. I pulled every string and begged every favor I could to get the best of materials for the builds. As far as what the final product is, that's in God's hands, I guess and I'm sure there's a host of hidden speed bumps in bringing the final product to fruition that involve things like math and schedules and economics and a host of other things that are way above my pay grade and make my tiny brain cramp up but I can tell you this,....I've been building packs since 1989 and I can say,...."I am finished doing what I swore an oath to God 28 years ago to never do again. I've created, "something that catches Ghosts." And in that purpose, I was a success. I've done this because, philosophically, I am sympathetic to we nerds. I can tell you with no ego, this is my finest pack. If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be neutranized."
Pardon the Kill Bill paraphrase but seriously, I'm glad I had 27 years, (that's funny. One year short from the Hanzo quote), to practice because I know I gave them my best work.

STILL working, actually. I hope the finished product makes people happy.

V71 :cool:

I love reading your stuff man. lol If you are not already, you need to start writing GB articles in magazines. lol.
By Lowberg
I'm curious about the shell as well.

And Sean, I just want to let you know I'm not trying to say that you are misleading. I'm disappointed in the anovos team for not being more specific in their description and taking money already.

I think your pack replica is amazing and you can clearly see all the work you put into this one. Just the paint job alone is probably one of the best I've ever seen. It has that hand painted feel where you can see the brush strokes and stippling and stuff on the cyclotron area and crank box. Ace job
By pyhasanon
Travis Burrell wrote:
pyhasanon wrote:OK... Not a bad price at all...

http://www.anovos.com/collections/ghost ... roton-pack
No, Its not a bad price.

Im PISSED because I just bought everything I needed to make my own elsewhere and at a much larger price. Oh well, at least I have lights and sound. Plus this has been fun searching for what I needed and it will be fun throwing it together and saying "I found everything on my own and built it myself"well.. except for the recently acquired Matty Neutrino Wand.
I say stick with it... I have a feeling that whatever you end up with now will look much better than what Anovos has planned at this point... yours will at least be made of better material...
By halliwax
pyhasanon wrote:
Travis Burrell wrote: No, Its not a bad price.

I say stick with it... I have a feeling that whatever you end up with now will look much better than what Anovos has planned at this point... yours will at least be made of better material...
I agree Phil. I think the end result is going to look much different from anovos...

the price just doesn't add up to me.. I'll stick with GBFANS as my all time source for proton pack parts!!
By Ecto-3A
I feel much better about these kits knowing that a lot of old guard is at the helm of it's development, especially GM being the CEO of Anovos, totally did not know that. I know a few folks locally that would appreciate a top notch kit at that price point.
deadderek liked this

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]