Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
So, over the past week, a group of friends of mine worked our way through the first campaign of the game. The first half we were going in with only 3 players (holy crap Sandman... f*** that guy) and the second half we had a group of eight (getting Boogaloo to spawn... we had 3 different plans... we had plans for plans! We'd take our time and... poof, dude gets spawned SUPER early and we get in a panic to fill the spirit world with that jerk in play...). Needless to say, it was an absolute blast overall.

So, here are my thoughts: should the ghost population on the game board get increased if you have more than 4 Ghostbusters in play? If you have fewer than 4 players, should another player take over a second Ghostbuster? I mean, in the several times we played, we haven't failed yet even with fewer players (well, once we learned how to play correctly and started using balanced dice).

And just out of curiosity, which Ghostbuster do you guys play as the most? Which one have you yet to place on the board? For me, I almost always play as Ray... and I think Ronald has been taken out of the tray all of 3 times just so people can check out the token.

Anyone make a custom campaign or a mission yet? I tried out the online scenario generator, but it's kinda limited. I wish it was a BIT more customizable as it only takes into account what comes with the stock game. There should have been a way to check off if you had the deluxe version and any add-ons. I really want to make a TOUGH mission for a larger group, but I guess I'll have to do it the manual way... unless one of you good folks have one set up that I could use. :D

So, let's talk about this game! I'm really interested in other people's experiences with it!
Hey Zeta! Yeah, I was playing my "paper version" before I got mine a few days before Christmas. : ) I would add a few ghosts on the board, maybe 0ne in the Spirit World. A rough figure would be add 2 ghosts on the board, 1 in the Spirit World per extra player. Adding more to the Spirit World than the board would make it easier. I haven't had more than 4, but I may someday, if I can get all my friends together! It's hard when you are pushing 50 and people have "real" jobs, girlfriends/boyfriends etc.

Ray is my favorite, the heart of the Ghostbusters. But, we have NINE GB's to choose from, and my Hero Slimer custom, and my 20 customs I did for friends and family, so I have lots of choices!

I've made a bunch of custom scenarios and posted my Dropbox on the CZ forums. Custom maps, custom characters, Ghost Trap Dice Tower, Ghost Trap trays for your captured ghosts. I've been busy! : )
I REALLY wanna get around to doing custom characters for my friends who play the most... I just need to sit down and figure out what breaks the game lol. I sat down earlier with all the character cards laid out and... holy crap, Ron is totally set up to be the lone wolf. All his skills benefit him and him alone. I kinda love it. I will definitely try what you suggested with the extra ghosts next time, it's a solid idea.
zeta otaku wrote:I REALLY wanna get around to doing custom characters for my friends who play the most... I just need to sit down and figure out what breaks the game lol. I sat down earlier with all the character cards laid out and... holy crap, Ron is totally set up to be the lone wolf. All his skills benefit him and him alone. I kinda love it. I will definitely try what you suggested with the extra ghosts next time, it's a solid idea.
Here are all the custom characters I've made so far. Most are based on me and other Ghostbusters in my area, but there are also cards for the Filmation Ghostbusters and Mystery Inc. I've play-tested MOST of the ones based on real people, and they don't seem to be broken, in that the ones that level slower are more powerful at high levels and vice versa.

https://goo.gl/photos/UzZYvV3ESkhWZHcj9
Bumping this one back up real quick... My friends and I have tried this one mission at least 5 times and have had NO LUCK with it. The first mission in the second campaign, the one with the terror dogs, seriously, HOW THE HELL!? No, really! How are you supposed to beat this one?

When we play, we usually have 5 to 6 players, so we split into 2 or 3 teams: one team focusing on each Terror Dog with one or two individuals doing clean up on the ghosts and closing the open portal to the north of the game map. Vinz Clortho isn't that big of an issue, we can keep him pinned near a portal, but Zuul... she is a royal pain in the ass. Dragging her near a portal is a chore and a half especially with their fear abilities when she gets dragged too close. We've voted to back burner this one mission for a while because we're just sick of it, but I would absolutely LOVE to hear about strategies for this one because I'd like to be able to beat it at some point without giving up after 90 minutes or bending the rules.
Crazy1van wrote:I've failed this mission every time as well. 5 tries with various teams and different number of Ghostbusters, all for nothing. If you figure it out, please share!

Ha... yeah... we've put this one on the bottom of the pile. We've come to the conclusion that they might has misnumbered this one since, normally, you'd start it with NONE of your more useful skills. If/when we play this again, it'll either be the third mission and with at least 7 players starting at LEAST at Rank 3 for that extra action. You need that extra action to first get BEHIND Zuul, then pull her back enough to make a difference let alone close that back portal. having only TWO gates open is a nightmare and the only way I've been able to figure out a way to beat this is to first open all the gates, lure both Terror Dogs near the middle of the board, then keep them away from each other and close to those middle gates. It's either that or pushing/pulling both dogs back to their starting open gates.
I enjoy the game, however the "removing slime" mechanic feels broken, unless we're doing it wrong. For instance to remove slime (unless you're Ray) you have to forfeit all your actions. So for instance several games we'd get slimed twice, and then each turn we'd spend all our actions to take 1 slime off, then end of round movements happen and boom slimed again. It seems like a never ending struggle to remove slime. If you could remove ALL slime and forfeit your actions that works a bit better. I just feel its broken.
Yeah, we felt the same way... we have a SHORT list of house rules we play by (otherwise it's identical how the game is meant to be played). The slime thing is one of them. If you have the maximum amount of Slime at the end of your turn, your next turn, you remove ALL slime (which takes up THAT turn) and you have full Action the next time around.

We're toying with slime not reducing Action, but instead reducing your movement range and proton rolls by 1. Still makes it a hindrance, but will allow you to stay in the game and keep things moving.
You're supposed to remove slime from other people. Yes you can remove it from yourself, but this a team game. Take a wild shot at a ghost or remove slime from a player that has a better chance of catching that ghost? Strategize. It's better to remove it from someone else than forfeit your turn completely to remove 1 token from yourself.
You should try to keep at least two Ghostbusters close enough together to jump in and help each other out!
It's pretty much like in the movie. When they hunt for Slimer they first split up, and what happened?
Venkman got slimed so bad, he couldn't even get up from the ground alone and had to wait for Ray to help him out.
Translated to game terms, Ray used his entire turn to get there and all of his next turn to deslime him.
Two whole turns wasted, just because they separated too far. Then they changed their strategy and tackled Slimer as a team.
They covered each others backs and even with some missed shots got the little green guy boxed.

If you go with groups of two, slime is just a small annoyance instead of a big problem. At least you can get back into the game with desliming.
In other games, like Zombicide, you take two hits and you're dead and out of the game completely.
Rinji79 liked this
zeta otaku wrote:We're toying with slime not reducing Action, but instead reducing your movement range and proton rolls by 1. Still makes it a hindrance, but will allow you to stay in the game and keep things moving.
The previews of the new game mechanics for the GB2 expansion show that new Slime effects are being added. While some Slime still subtracts from your Actions, other Slimes will decrease your movement, Line of Sight range, Proton Rolls, etc.
I love the board game! It's easy to understand and fun to play, especially with the setup of tiles. You actually feel like you're playing the game the first time you are trying it, it doesn't feel like you're just following a rulebook step by step the whole time.

We tried a harder scenario to begin with where you need to put bugaloos in the portals in order to close them, but each turn, a ghost came out of both portals, multiplying their numbers. We had three gbs, Ray, Peter, and Winston. They worked very well together to get the job done, and we really felt like a team while doing it.

The game was pricy but so totally worth it. I can't wait for the sequel board game kickstarter to get underway!
zeta otaku liked this

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]