Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By GBfan77
I don't know if this was ever discussed, but was there a particular reason why some scenes had the dark grey uniforms while the majority of the film had the khaki uniforms?
By pyhasanon
Just to do something different, maybe? They do the same thing in the IDW series... Venkman and Kylie would usually wear the gray... I personally like the dark gray a lot!
gold333, Travis Burrell liked this
By d_osborn
I think there are a few bits in the Visual History book with the GB2 costume designer Gloria Gresham about the dark suits. I don't have my copy right in front of me, so this might be a little inaccurate. She said something about wanting to change the suits a bit from the first film, and Reitman never being quite happy with the results. Most of the shots we see with the GBs in the darker suits were shot early in the production, which I'm guessing is why they don't show up more throughout the movie. The slime shell museum stuff was shot really early with the tan suits, but I'm guessing they were used since the darker suits would have been much harder for the film cameras to render in the night shots. Similar to the black Ectomobile issues in GB1.

An early script draft called for a more military dress blues-style suit for a few scenes. I would LOVE to see the concept art!
Alex Newborn liked this
By mrmichaelt
d_osborn wrote:I think there are a few bits in the Visual History book with the GB2 costume designer Gloria Gresham about the dark suits. I don't have my copy right in front of me, so this might be a little inaccurate. She said something about wanting to change the suits a bit from the first film, and Reitman never being quite happy with the results. Most of the shots we see with the GBs in the darker suits were shot early in the production, which I'm guessing is why they don't show up more throughout the movie. The slime shell museum stuff was shot really early with the tan suits, but I'm guessing they were used since the darker suits would have been much harder for the film cameras to render in the night shots. Similar to the black Ectomobile issues in GB1.
Gloria Gresham's anecdote is on page 149
...but Gresham recalls her efforts to rework the iconic uniform were trimmed from the final film for the most part: "When Ivan first called, he was already saying to me that he would like to see a new design, a different ghostbuster costume. I did different shapes, different colors, different fabric. Then we'd go to dailies and we'd look at it on film, and Ivan would say 'No, that's not it."
I would like to see what these other costumes looked like.
By Havoc0213
This is actually quite interesting because I've always wondered if it was part of the design, to have the dark suits show up on occasion, or if it had something to do with the design team wanting to try something new only to revert back later to the more familiar khaki.

The darker jumpsuits, I thought, made them look more badass rather than just a group of guys out doing their job. In a way it made some sense. They didn't start using them until the business was restored after the courtroom battle. It was like they were saying "We're back and tougher than ever!".
By DarkSpectre
Despite a lot of gripes (which I don't really understand) GB 2 gave the fandom some pretty awesome things, like the dark gray uniforms (my team wears a mix of gray and khaki) the slimeblower and the giga meter. It's awesome that the IDW crew threw the gray uniforms in the mix. I'd love to see Lego release an Ecto 1A with the guys in the gray uniforms
Sav C liked this
By Rinji79
I personally loved both movies, and don't see why GB II gets so much hate. It's also interesting to note that instead of wearing their Ghostbusters uniforms down in the underground railway, they were wearing hard hats and yellow jump suits. Was there any particular reason why they didn't bring their proton packs and uniforms in the first place?
Sav C liked this
By zeta otaku
My theory on that... they were underground with no lights (except what they were carrying), so the yellow coveralls would allow for them to see each other a bit better than khaki or black/dark grey. As for the no packs? They might not have been expecting too much of a problem and were just investigating. Also, they had no real idea what kind of terrain they were getting into down there. The tracks had been abandoned for decades so anything could have happened, so they may have left them behind to navigate the area more easily.

Also, it worked out for the best. Had they been wearing their packs, it's VERY possible they might have drowned in the river of slime.
By JA Slow
Not wearing their standard uniforms while searching for slime is sticky business and their wet suits were a sensible choice. From a production standpoint, it gave them something different to wear and their black pistol belts more screen time.

A better question about the second uniforms is why they didn't feature the leg house? Aside from color, they are practically the same design. While I like the odd aesthetic of the leg house, not having it on the dark uniforms was a good choice. I also think they were more form fitting. The khaki uniforms seem a bit baggier the second time around, possibly for actor comfort. I wish the dark uniforms had more screen time; during the museum spook check would have been nice..
By Travis Burrell
One thing I noticed and will be wearing in my next meet up with Steel Citys GB group.....

No one wears the slime sample catching jars???

I don't think anyone else has ever really noticed? Anyways, I emptied out an old Peanut Butter Jar and will be attaching a strap and hook up to it to attach it to one of my white canvas key fobs.
By Travis Burrell
pyhasanon wrote: I personally like the dark gray a lot!
Same here bud. I prefer it. This suit is my first build. I still need to make a khaki and 2016 versions.
Sav C liked this

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]

At some point, probably just better off opening up[…]

Spengler/84 wand Gun Track

So...I had more than a little problem with dis[…]