Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
No doubt it's a great time to be a Ghostbusters fan. Despite the largely negative reaction to the upcoming Paul Feig movie, we're getting almost a daily barrage of GB-related content. From board games, to clothing lines, to word that The Real Ghostbusters series is getting an official digital release--even if the movie's a flop, in 2016, we can't lose! Well, in this massive cash grab, one thing that sort of sticks out is the release--uh, re-release of a 4K Mastered GB I & II. Maybe someone could enlighten me, but isn't this pretty much the same thing that came out just two years ago?

If not, will there be any significant difference in the visual quality of a "4K Mastered" as oppose to a 4K "Ultra HD?" They mentioned in the announcement article that the "Ultra HD" version was put together using the original film negatives. Sooo, the 2014 "4K Mastered" version wasn't?---And then, when you add the fact that there'll be no new bonus features & it's all the same content from the 2014 release (minus the digibook), it makes for an even bigger head scratcher.

ImageImage

Seriously, what's the diff? :whatever:
Last edited by SonofSamhain on April 4th, 2016, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HunterCC liked this
My sentiments exactly. What is the point of 40K? You can already see every single pore and stubble of every face with Blu-Ray, and the content is all there, every BD can hold LOADS of content outside of the movie, so what's the point? I'd be more impressed if 40K could hold both movies on one disc with all of their content, but no, they're sold separately or as a pack. So, either way, it doesn't seem worth it to rush out and get a whole nother medium to watch the movies we already have on both DVD (two sets for me, wife had one too) and Blu-Ray Disc. So.... yeah, I really hope Blu-Rays don't convert entirely to 40K anytime in the future at all.
Have you guys ever gone to a TV store and watched a 4K TV? The difference is incredible.

This will be the first official 4K release. The technology and the players to do this are only just coming out (in the last few months). This is an actual 4K movie, with a 4K source. You'll be seeing it in 4K and it will be just like if you were watching the master copy. This is not the same as the 'Mastered in 4K' versions that have come out (the last two releases). Blu-ray is only 1080P... and those 'Mastered in 4K' are just higher quality masters that are then converted down to 1080P. They are not 4K copies.

4K is approximately 4 times the resolution of 1080P.

Here is the comparison between 4K, Blu-ray (1080P), 720P and DVD from Wikipedia.

I used to think my Widescreen VHS copy of Ghostbusters that I got in 1999 was awesome. I thought it was the best. I didn't have a DVD player. Then I finally got a DVD player around 2000-2001. The difference was marginal, but it was still very good. I didn't get a Blu-ray or 1080P TV for another decade. But when I finally did, the difference between Blu-ray and DVD was incredible. So much more detail.

Now I have a 4K TV and have just been blown away by the clarity of the picture. Everything is almost completely photo realistic. We're approaching the point where the human eye doesn't have a higher resolution capability. It is starting to feel like you are the camera man. Like you're actually there.

The new 4K Ultra HD release will feel more like you're actually there, or more like you're in the movie theater.. than any other release has before.

Now is this a rip off?

No. It isn't if you have a 4K TV, and a brand new 4K / Ultra HD player.

If you don't have those things, then you don't need to buy the new copy. There will be a Blu-ray copy included with the set, but I kinda doubt that transfer will be any different than the previous two transfers.
twmedford23, deadderek liked this
AJ Quick wrote:Have you guys ever gone to a TV store and watched a 4K TV? The difference is incredible.

This will be the first official 4K release. The technology and the players to do this are only just coming out (in the last few months). This is an actual 4K movie, with a 4K source. You'll be seeing it in 4K and it will be just like if you were watching the master copy. This is not the same as the 'Mastered in 4K' versions that have come out (the last two releases). Blu-ray is only 1080P... and those 'Mastered in 4K' are just higher quality masters that are then converted down to 1080P. They are not 4K copies.

4K is approximately 4 times the resolution of 1080P.

Here is the comparison between 4K, Blu-ray (1080P), 720P and DVD from Wikipedia.

I used to think my Widescreen VHS copy of Ghostbusters that I got in 1999 was awesome. I thought it was the best. I didn't have a DVD player. Then I finally got a DVD player around 2000-2001. The difference was marginal, but it was still very good. I didn't get a Blu-ray or 1080P TV for another decade. But when I finally did, the difference between Blu-ray and DVD was incredible. So much more detail.

Now I have a 4K TV and have just been blown away by the clarity of the picture. Everything is almost completely photo realistic. We're approaching the point where the human eye doesn't have a higher resolution capability. It is starting to feel like you are the camera man. Like you're actually there.

The new 4K Ultra HD release will feel more like you're actually there, or more like you're in the movie theater.. than any other release has before.

Now is this a rip off?

No. It isn't if you have a 4K TV, and a brand new 4K / Ultra HD player.

If you don't have those things, then you don't need to buy the new copy. There will be a Blu-ray copy included with the set, but I kinda doubt that transfer will be any different than the previous two transfers.

Thanks for explaining AJ, but I guess I'll have to wait until some stills or clips are released to see if you can see any dramatic difference in quality, eh? OR perhaps you know of another movie that has a similar situation where we can do a quick compare & contrast?
You're not gonna be able to see a difference unless you are viewing on a 4K TV or display. 4K video down sampled to 1080P will look the same as a 1080P Blu-ray.

You should be able to see 4K TV displays at places like Best Buy or Target. They might even be playing the same movies on them both for you to see the difference. (Just make sure they are playing a true 4K source, like Ultra HD.)
My only argument is that people will have to uproot their entire collections again and switch to 4K, and my family is not even close to replacing all of our DVD's with Blu-Ray Discs (I once saw a picture of Ray Stantz colored blue in the sign and it was actually one of the funniest things I've seen FYE do) so really, I know it looks awesome and amazing, but I can't see myself dishing out another 2 G's for a player and a TV, and then countless more dollars spent on movies and TV series seasons. I mean come on! Middle Class has its limits!
At 4K I hope they fix the:

-White light shining through the packs in sedgewick.
-labels peeling off the traps
-open trap doors
-wand hose attachment area looking so ghetto

:) I can dream can't I

Ps: I have every release, and my favorite is still the 1999 DVD, its so brown and gritty. And I swear the streams look most "realistic" in that. So bright!!

The 2005 dvd is cartoon colored and blurry, the 2009 BR is exactly the same but sharper.

The 2014 BR is awesome, so close to the 1999 and also pretty gritty, though not as much as the original.

The props in this movie really werent meant to be seen at 1080p or 4K, atleast not unless they fix using cgi.
gold333 wrote:At 4K I hope they fix the:

-open trap doors

Ps: I have every release, and my favorite is still the 1999 DVD, its so brown and gritty. And I swear the streams look most "realistic" in that. So bright!!

The 2005 dvd is cartoon colored and blurry, the 2009 BR is exactly the same but sharper.

The 2014 BR is awesome, so close to the 1999 and also pretty gritty, though not as much as the original.

The props in this movie really werent meant to be seen at 1080p or 4K, atleast not unless they fix using cgi.
Oh come on, Gold, we all know where that kind of thinking leads. George Lucas fell down that rabbit hole and almost ruined the original trilogy for everyone, thankfully I have the original DVD's. I say leave art as it is. The Mona Lisa wouldn't look better with a cat painted in.

Strangely enough, I have all three of those DVD/Bluray releases you just mentioned. My wife had the original DVD's and I had the 2005 ones as a graduation present.
Rinji79 wrote:
gold333 wrote:At 4K I hope they fix the:

-open trap doors

Oh come on, Gold, we all know where that kind of thinking leads. George Lucas fell down that rabbit hole and almost ruined the original trilogy for everyone, thankfully I have the original DVD's. I say leave art as it is. The Mona Lisa wouldn't look better with a cat painted in.

Strangely enough, I have all three of those DVD/Bluray releases you just mentioned. My wife had the original DVD's and I had the 2005 ones as a graduation present.
Man, I know exactly what you're saying, but (Esp at 4K) the packs looking like plastic props, or the trap doors being open in scenes where they're supposed to be full just take me out of the immersion when they're meant to be bulky steel, real equipment.

Like I said in the other thread on the 4K releases, everyone likes GB for different reasons, for me a fix on the props outweighs the effort it would take. And I don't mean a Star Wars prequel cgi fest, I mean using CGI to fix the fact that the props were created for SD viewing not 4K. The prop production was rushed and it shows.

PS: whats your favorite release?
gold333 wrote: I mean using CGI to fix the fact that the props were created for SD viewing not 4K. The prop production was rushed and it shows.
The props were built to be seen in 35mm projection, which is approximately equivalent to around 4K lines of vert resolution. What the props weren't meant for is to be seen and analyzed, frame-by-frame in the most crystal clear quality imaginable. The movie wasn't produced for SD. Not even close. The latest BR release (from the 4K master) is pretty awesome.

I wasn't really considering getting a 4K display anytime soon, but this news definitely doesn't really help the temptation.
Last edited by d_osborn on April 5th, 2016, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kingpin, noslliT liked this
d_osborn wrote:
gold333 wrote: I mean using CGI to fix the fact that the props were created for SD viewing not 4K. The prop production was rushed and it shows.
The props were built to be seen in 35mm projection, which is approximately equivalent to around 4K lines of vert resolution. What the props weren't meant for is to be seen and analyzed, frame-by-frame in the most crystal clear quality imaginable. The movie wasn't produced for SD. Not even close.
I didn't know that. Thanks.

But still, going through all the trouble of putting legible warning labels on them, all the little dials, buttons, switches, levers, etc. All that detail and then to have the plastic fall apart in camera, etc. it's sloppy if you ask me. But that's just my opinion.
roffels liked this
gold333 wrote:
d_osborn wrote: The props were built to be seen in 35mm projection, which is approximately equivalent to around 4K lines of vert resolution. What the props weren't meant for is to be seen and analyzed, frame-by-frame in the most crystal clear quality imaginable. The movie wasn't produced for SD. Not even close.

But still, going through all the trouble of putting legible warning labels on them, all the little dials, buttons, switches, levers, etc. All that detail and then to have the plastic fall apart in camera, etc. it's sloppy if you ask me. But that's just my opinion.
Most movies were like that back in the day. Very few older, complicated movie props stand up to intense scrutiny. Not to mention, GB was produced on a VERY TIGHT timeline. Tight, tight, tight, tight...
d_osborn wrote:
gold333 wrote:

Most movies were like that back in the day. Very few older, complicated movie props stand up to intense scrutiny. Not to mention, GB was produced on a VERY TIGHT timeline. Tight, tight, tight, tight...
Yeah, so this release is a perfect time to correct all those little '84 production issues!!
I honestly thought the "fix the props" thing was a joke. I don't think that's a realistic expectation or desire, and frankly I wouldn't want them to do that. It doesn't take me out of it at all. In fact, the white lights shining through the pack is pretty much canon now, as they incorporated it into the video game. I even have seen people intentionally do that to their packs as well.
Kingpin liked this
Doctor Venkman wrote:I honestly thought the "fix the props" thing was a joke. I don't think that's a realistic expectation or desire, and frankly I wouldn't want them to do that. It doesn't take me out of it at all. In fact, the white lights shining through the pack is pretty much canon now, as they incorporated it into the video game. I even have seen people intentionally do that to their packs as well.
I was one of those who were trying to hack the 3D model in the game to fix it at one point!!

But ok man, lets change topic..

Favorite release? For me the 1999DVD to watch followed closely by the 2014BR. Extras the BR wins ofc. But the 1999DVD is still (I believe) the only release to feature the MST3K style silhouettes of Ramis, Reitman, etc. in the directors commentary, so you can see what their silhouettes are pointing at when they speak.
Rinji79 wrote:I liked the 1999 release best because of the text commentary in the second movie. Not to mention the cartoon episode in the DVD features. The 2005 release was awesome too.
Didn't the 2014BR also have the GB2 text commentary?

I swear I remember that on something in addition to the 1999 DVD.
gold333 wrote: All that detail and then to have the plastic fall apart in camera, etc.
What are you even talking about? The celluloid film snapping inside the camera magazine?
gold333 wrote: But still, going through all the trouble of putting legible warning labels on them, all the little dials, buttons, switches, levers, etc.
There are only a couple of instances of labels peeling off, and the props were mostly made out of aluminum and fiberglass in order to take the abuse that actors invariably put on them. Have you actually seen any of the screen-used props in person? The rough, welded, home-made look was exactly what the director wanted for the film.

If minor details like a damaged label or rubbed paint is enough to "take you out of the moment", then you have a serious inability to suspend disbelief. I'm guessing any film or television show in any kind of high definition is probably unwatchable to you due to the countess imperfections in all movie props and set decorating.
roffels liked this
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Rinji79 wrote:I can't see myself dishing out another 2 G's for a player and a TV, and then countless more dollars spent on movies and TV series seasons. I mean come on! Middle Class has its limits!
I don't know how much the players go for, but I got my TV brand new at Best Buy for just under $500.

This TV: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M43-C1-43-I ... B00T63YUTE

In the next few years most everything will be streaming, anyways. So I wouldn't worry about rebuying everything. 1080P stuff upscaled to 4K also looks great.
Demon Vice Commander wrote:
gold333 wrote: All that detail and then to have the plastic fall apart in camera, etc.
What are you even talking about? The celluloid film snapping inside the camera magazine?
gold333 wrote: But still, going through all the trouble of putting legible warning labels on them, all the little dials, buttons, switches, levers, etc.
There are only a couple of instances of labels peeling off, and the props were mostly made out of aluminum and fiberglass in order to take the abuse that actors invariably put on them. Have you actually seen any of the screen-used props in person? The rough, welded, home-made look was exactly what the director wanted for the film.

If minor details like a damaged label or rubbed paint is enough to "take you out of the moment", then you have a serious inability to suspend disbelief. I'm guessing any film or television show in any kind of high definition is probably unwatchable to you due to the countess imperfections in all movie props and set decorating.
Wasn't talking 'bout peeling labels. The equipment's black, meant to resemble metal. No one's gonna believe a portable cyclotron nuclear accelerator is made out of painted plastic.

4K is ridiculously sharp.

-Sedgewick scene the white light leaking through the worn out paint revealing the plastic shell nature.
-Ray handing Winston what are traps with open doors that are meant to be full and need to be emptied
-I'm not talking about peeling labels.

Again it's my opinion, I've seen this movie hundreds of times, it's things I notice, others maybe don't.
Like the moving feet of the soundguy when Venkman meets Dana for the first time.

I think this 4K will be identical to the 2014BR, but at 4K. The same way the 2009BR was identical to the 2005DVD, but sharper. It's the cheapest option for Sony.

Unlikely they'll recolor it, control noise and black levels for 4K tops. Let alone fix prop issues with CGI, not gonna happen.
gold333 wrote:No one's gonna believe a portable cyclotron nuclear accelerator is made out of painted plastic.
To be fair no one is going to believe that a cyclotron could be portable and worn on someone's back, regardless of what it is made out of.

If you really want to start pulling at the threads of what is "believable" or not, the entire movie is going to fall apart.
Doctor Venkman wrote:
gold333 wrote:No one's gonna believe a portable cyclotron nuclear accelerator is made out of painted plastic.
To be fair no one is going to believe that a cyclotron could be portable and worn on someone's back, regardless of what it is made out of.

If you really want to start pulling at the threads of what is "believable" or not, the entire movie is going to fall apart.
A lightsaber isn't real either. But on screen, a chromed metal lightsaber looks more realistic than a foam one painted silver that bends.

The '84 proton pack looks like metal, radiation shielded, very heavy duty equipment, just barely man portable.
Pretty much the opposite of brittle, flaky plastic.
gold333 wrote: Wasn't talking 'bout peeling labels. The equipment's black, meant to resemble metal. No one's gonna believe a portable cyclotron nuclear accelerator is made out of painted plastic.
Sorry, I was just referring to a separate thread where you were whining about the labels peeling off. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you know next to nothing about the physical props from Ghostbusters.
Personally, from the distance I would be sitting I can't tell the difference between 1080 and 4k, at least not with the duel displays at Best Buy, but it will probably make a huge difference depending on your screen size and if you sit closer to your TV than I do. Plus maybe we can get some even better screen shots than before. So no, not a rip off.
Demon Vice Commander wrote:
gold333 wrote: Wasn't talking 'bout peeling labels. The equipment's black, meant to resemble metal. No one's gonna believe a portable cyclotron nuclear accelerator is made out of painted plastic.
Sorry, I was just referring to a separate thread where you were whining about the labels peeling off. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you know next to nothing about the physical props from Ghostbusters.
I've never built my own, but I've handled others props at cons. I don't need to know anything about how they're cast to have an opinion of how the '84 props on screen will look at 4K.

I'm sorry if I've upset you or got on your nerves Demon Vice Commander, that was not my intention.

Edit: the GB2 props would look even worse :)

If you need any clarification at all, PM me or […]

Proton Props UK

Good decision to lift the ban! By the way: I think[…]

I'd use some putty. Yeah. I'm sorry, I'm not […]

Or if you bought the access pack you get them inst[…]