Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.

All the years that went by with confirmed reports of a GB3 script floating around, Dan Aykroyd's "promises" fueling the fire, Bill Murray's refusal to be a part of it (supposedly ripping the script to pieces), & time that was wasted. I think I was a sophomore in high school when the first Internet rumblings of GB3 seemed like it would become a reality. No doubt, I put A LOT of faith into the rumors that it would happen much sooner rather than later; even so far as visualizing a GB3 teaser trailer in my head. It's without question that I believe no one wanted a bad revival of Ghostbusters, but seeing how Paul Feig's interpretation is playing out (just as a trailer), I can't help but feel cheated due to my long-time fandom & high expectations.

Why does it feel like all the puzzle pieces finally came together after the fact? Ironically, it seems like the "bad movie" Bill Murray was trying to avoid being a part of all those years ago reached fruition--he signs on for this crap, yet the movie fans wanted (and deserved) never reached its potential. It may seem unfair to judge Feig's movie before its release, but c'mon, it's extremely rare for a movie to go from awful trailer to critic-praising debut. Like a first date or job interview, first impressions speaks volumes. Harold Ramis' illness & passing unfortunately cemented the likelihood of the original guys ever getting back together. Footage was never shot for Ramis, so no Fast 7, Paul Walker-digital replacement-type deal was ever gonna go down (would we really want that anyway? Nah.)

Chances are, Aykroyd's script for GB3 may have been a bit "out there," but if it was anything like the original GB script--had they started filming eons ago, the more exaggerated elements would have been toned down to make a cohesive, realistic portrayal of these characters & their universe thirty-plus years later. Why? Because that's the kind of chemistry Aykroyd & Ramis had--and of course with Ivan Reitman at the helm & realizing what mistakes were made a la GB2, I think we would've seen the actual next chapter of the Ghostbusters fans know & love. Instead by waiting for Murray to come down off his artistic high horse, this is what we get. The passing-of-the-torch idea is nothing new as exhibited by the Extreme Ghostbusters & was an inevitability, but I think this most recent and confusing "Is it a remake or reboot?"-approach reeks of all the fears everyone ever had about the franchise returning. This is the Ghostbusters film nobody wanted.

So, to answer the question of "do I get angry when I think of what could've been?" Uh, hell yeah. :angryvigo:
Last edited by SonofSamhain on May 4th, 2016, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nope. It's just a movie. I've had a lot worse happen to me personally that the decisions of the Hollywood executives don't really bother me that much.

That being said I don't think anyone here (myself included) hoped a third movie would be a reboot. But here we are. I say make the best of it and enjoy the trip. If the reboot is bad, then so be it. It's not like we don't have the existing movies, comics, toys, videogames and apparel to fall back on.
Last edited by EJLambert on May 4th, 2016, 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
As much as I would've wanted to see the film been made years ago, it's already too late and there's nothing we can do to change that, now; especially after Harold's passing.

Like mrmichaelt, i'm also satisfied with what we got from GB: TVG and pretty much the IDW comics, as well; It's the best we could get out of the franchise, despite GB3 not happening.
GBfan77 liked this
Not at all, though I really hope more details surface about the other GB3 projects that were developed over the years.

Personally, a mediocre GB3 would have been way more disappointing than a mediocre GB reboot.

For as much fun as I thought TVG was, I never really considered it the third movie in my eyes. Classic GB has way more comic finesse than what the game brought to the table. It was a great move to have Aykroyd and Ramis polish the script, though.
Thanks to the videogame, no. A movie would've been preferable, but it's good we got the next best thing. After twenty years of false rumors and empty promises, I had pretty much given up hope of ever seeing GB3 when the game came out, so it was great to finally get the original cast back for one last adventure.
I get angry because even when sequels are done, if they are not absolutely perfect, fans can turn positively rabid. I don't mean the GB fandom, just fandoms in general.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on May 5th, 2016, 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
*NormalGamer*, Tommi liked this
True, but in regards to this fandom would you expect anything less from a group of that spent nearly 15 years with no new media and kept it going simply on the strength of what came before by building better equipment and making appearances to keep it relevant?
As some already mentioned, we got the GB Video Game. That was such a blatant love letter to the fans, not to mention the GB comics that take the films and game as canon. With those, I'm plenty satisfied with how much we've gotten.

I will say that I do plan on seeing Feigbusters and am still keeping an open mind about it. Best-case scenario, I enjoy the film. Worst-case scenario, I enjoy theater popcorn and entirely too much candy. Either way, I win.
zeta otaku, *NormalGamer*, GBfan77 and 2 others liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:I get angry because even when sequels are done, if they are not absolutely perfect, fans can turn positively rabid. I don't mean the GB fandom, just fandoms in general.
DarkSpectre wrote:I know, I was just using our fandom as an example. When people invest their time, money and energies into any fandom, they feel somewhat possessive of it.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Let me put it this way, I've learned over time that sentimentality has both a good and bad side. And of course that's true of anything we do. You know, like positive and negative slime. :-D:twisted:
Great points. Elitism in 'any' fandom in general is very unhealthy, no matter how you slice it.
Tyrael wrote:As some already mentioned, we got the GB Video Game. That was such a blatant love letter to the fans, not to mention the GB comics that take the films and game as canon. With those, I'm plenty satisfied with how much we've gotten.

I will say that I do plan on seeing Feigbusters and am still keeping an open mind about it. Best-case scenario, I enjoy the film. Worst-case scenario, I enjoy theater popcorn and entirely too much candy. Either way, I win.
Agreed. I enjoy films for what they are; I don't worry too much about box office records. Same thing goes for the video games I play; I don't worry too much about game sales regardless of how they sell and instead just focus on enjoying the games I want to play.
I'd like to see the original characters return in some form of media (animated or live-action) before I'm an old man.
GBfan77, SonofSamhain, DarkSpectre and 1 others liked this
*NormalGamer* wrote:As much as I would've wanted to see the film been made years ago, it's already too late and there's nothing we can do to change that, now; especially after Harold's passing.
Yeah, when Harold passed away I gave up all hopes of ever seeing GB3. Even if they had gone ahead with Dan and Ernie I don't know if I would've wanted to see it without Harold. It's a Shame that Bill held up the project for decades, but we Got GB:The video game so I'm happy with that.
Skyknight wrote:Okay, I just have to ask!
Is anyone else thinking of guys with Proton Packs that try to catch Paul Feig, when they read the word "Feigbusters"?
Please tell me I'm not the only one!
Yes! I keep picturing the same thing!
I would describe my feelings as dissapointed. Not angry. I was hoping for GB 3D like Jaws releasing the third film in 3D. I wanted to see Slimer and other ghosts flying around in 3D.
To be honest I had no interest in GB 2016 until I saw the trailer. I doubt it will capture the magic of the first GB but it might be good for a laugh and 2 hrs of escapism.
JurorNo.2 wrote:I get angry because even when sequels are done, if they are not absolutely perfect, fans can turn positively rabid. I don't mean the GB fandom, just fandoms in general.
I was blown away by X-Men: Days of Future Past because it felt nostalgic but also had a good story. Want to add rarely do I get blown away by movies today.
JurorNo.2 liked this
I don't understand why we all just don't come up with a fan collaboration and do a GB3 film with the fans where people each take a scene like they did with Star Wars and Robocop.
SpaceBallz wrote:I don't understand why we all just don't come up with a fan collaboration and do a GB3 film with the fans where people each take a scene like they did with Star Wars and Robocop.
There was a Robocop Fan film? I didn't know that. As for a fan Based GB film, there's been two that I'm aware of. If one was done with Hollywood grade quality I've got a feeling the copyright Nazis would come after those behind the project.
GBfan77 wrote:
SpaceBallz wrote:I don't understand why we all just don't come up with a fan collaboration and do a GB3 film with the fans where people each take a scene like they did with Star Wars and Robocop.
There was a Robocop Fan film? I didn't know that. As for a fan Based GB film, there's been two that I'm aware of. If one was done with Hollywood grade quality I've got a feeling the copyright Nazis would come after those behind the project.
Yeah I was part of the "our Ghostbusters remake" project, it was fun:

JurorNo.2 liked this
I don't get angry when I think of what could have been because the bottom line is: Murray didn't want to do it (b/c of the script or being typecast or being bored or being Murray etc) and I think that would have been obvious.

What I get a little "jealous" about is that there are all of these cool real-life experiences being announced and they are going to focus on the new film. Not that I have anything against the 2016 film, but I have always wanted the real-life-original-ghostbusters-experience.
Ghostbusters II was quite conclusive (compared to the first film,) so I'm OK with III not getting made.

Still, it would be cool to see a few Ghostbusters Short Films, where they get a call, and go bust some ghosts. I'm not sure Murray would sign onto that either, though.

You've probably seen it, but here's a cool new video from Kickstarter with Ernie Hudson reprising his role:

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]

Hard to tell if it’s an actual black fligh[…]