Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
I just watched the Ecto 1 restoration video again and I noticed something that I didn't pick up on before...

Maybe this has been mentioned before in some other thread but has anyone noticed how it looks as though Sony gave them the Ecto1A to restore as the Ecto 1??? Here is what I am talking about:

This is agreed to be the last known photo of the Ecto 1A and its current condition last we have seen.

This was the last time we saw what was once inside the car:

This is the thumbnail and this is the "Ecto 1" Restoration video image:

And in the video, THIS is what was inside that they took to take the 1,000s of photos of to recreate the Ecto 1 accessories and restore them:

So, Im going to assume that Ecto 1A is dead and we will never see her again. She has been resurrected into the Ecto 1.

Now this makes me wonder if this restored Ecto 1 (that is really the Ecto 1A) is now at the L.A. Police museum..... Where is the original Ecto 1 if so?!?

If Im wrong, someone show me a photo today of where Ecto 1A is. Don't just tell me "oh its in some wearhouse storage"
I'm not following why the above photos would support the suggestion the Ecto-1 that's currently on the backlot is a redressed Ecto-1A.

The Ecto-1A being in storage somewhere is the popular theory, unfortunately there probably isn't a single member of the community who knows where it is for certain who is at liberty to take a photo of its current whereabouts, and post it online.
Here is the video clip of that restoration project from the Blu-ray segment. Youll see that shot in this video of the Ecto 1A accessories for those that do not know what I am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEVoPcrxWuA

In this video YES.. This was the original Ecto 1 that you see B-Roll shots of, but the other shot looks like the Ecto 1A with ripped off decals. (The one I believe they used secretly)

Also notice the tires aren't white walls as the photos above.
I think the person responsibilty for the featurette didn't realize the differences between the cars. So the footage is all over the place. If I remember correctly both cars went in for restoration but Sony dropped the 1A restoration. Both cars were torn down and I'm sure parts used on Ecto-1. That first picture in your post of Ecto-1A was taken after the restoration occured. Atter they moved the car out of the warehouse. Ecto-1A is still stitting somewhere collecting dust.
delta88 wrote:I think the person responsibilty for the featurette didn't realize the differences between the cars. So the footage is all over the place. If I remember correctly both cars went in for restoration but Sony dropped the 1A restoration. Both cars were torn down and I'm sure parts used on Ecto-1. That first picture in your post of Ecto-1A was taken after the restoration occured. Atter they moved the car out of the warehouse. Ecto-1A is still stitting somewhere collecting dust.
At least it's still 1A and not 1, I guess.
The Ecto-1 currently parked in front of the Ghost Corps offices at the Sony Lot (along with the 2016 Ecto) is the original car from GB1.

The latest rumor as to the Ecto-1A's whereabouts is that it might be parked in a giant shipping container somewhere on the lot of the Sony Prop Warehouse. It's very unlikely that anyone will be seeing the car any time soon.
That's a rumor that its in storage somewhere. There is no proof. There is PROOF in that photo above that the Ecto 1A was at some point in that garage when the supposedly "Original Ecto1" was restored. Im curious as to where the Ecto 1A went after the "Ecto 1" was restored.

I was looking around but could not find it. Isnt there a thread or page somewhere that shows the Original Ecto 1 Vin #? I thought there was an Ecto 1 parked and displayed at the L.A. Police Museum?

There was a recent photo someone took here.....

This was outside Highland Park area.

This does not look like the George Barris replica. So, if that ecto1 is still inside the Police Museum, at least it was there February 8th of this year.

lol. I just wish we had the Vin #s of the original vehicles from both movies.
I also heard that the 84 ecto 1 originally the movie had two of them. So, then Im guessing one of those was turned into the Ecto1A for the second film. I wonder if anyone has actual proof of exactly how many 59s were used for each movie and the Vin#s for each. That would be awesome info. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if some of that info died when Stephen Dane passed away. :(
Travis Burrell wrote:That's a rumor that its in storage somewhere. There is no proof. There is PROOF in that photo above that the Ecto 1A was at some point in that garage when the supposedly "Original Ecto1" was restored. Im curious as to where the Ecto 1A went after the "Ecto 1" was restored.
No one is really debating that though. Everyone is aware that the Ecto-1A was there and was originally planned to be restored as well. That doesn't mean that the 1A being there is proof that they turned it into the restored Ecto-1.

I mean, it's a little weird that you write off the 1A being in a shipping container as a "rumor" and you want to know where it really is, when you're kinda creating a weird conspiracy theory here, lol. You're asking for proof and providing nothing but thoughts and speculation for your own theory.

Someone also already said that the Ecto-1 that is at Ghost Corps (which is the restored one from the featurette) is the original one from the 84 movie.
Kingpin, deadderek liked this
Travis Burrell wrote:I wonder if anyone has actual proof of exactly how many 59s were used for each movie and the Vin#s for each.
Two in Ghostbusters: The black and grey "Pre-Ecto", and the fully modified Ecto-1.

Two in Ghostbusters II: The original Ecto-1, and then the Ecto-1A.
You are reading way more into this than you need to be. Parts from the Ecto-1A were used to restore the Ecto-1. I think the unity spotlight for sure and possibly the back door was used. They were supposed to be restored at the same time, but work on the 1A was scraped. The Ecto-1A was NOT secretly turned into an Ecto-1. I just saw the screen used Ecto-1 in person two weekends ago and believe me when I say that it is not the Ecto-1A. I have been trying to get access to the 1A just to view some of the labels still in the vehicle. I was told by a prop master at Sony that the 1A is currently in storage and not immediately accessible. As in probably locked in a storage container. They are two different vehicles and remain just that. If Sony even wanted to do what you're proposing was done in secret, they would have one hell of a time finding the right parts to do it properly. Finding the Texas Instruments box alone would put a stop to that search very quickly.
Travis Burrell wrote:That's a rumor that its in storage somewhere. There is no proof. There is PROOF in that photo above that the Ecto 1A was at some point in that garage when the supposedly "Original Ecto1" was restored. Im curious as to where the Ecto 1A went after the "Ecto 1" was restored.
Sony still owns the dismantled Ecto-1A. Whether or not it is in a shipping crate, warehouse, etc. is irrelevant; Sony removed the car from any kind of public access because of the attention that the the car was getting from the whole "restore the Ecto-1A petition" (which Sony was not not happy about).
910dohead wrote: If Sony even wanted to do what you're proposing was done in secret, they would have one hell of a time finding the right parts to do it properly. Finding the Texas Instruments box alone would put a stop to that search very quickly.
to do what? restore the 1A as the 1A? No, what I was saying is that I think they no longer had the 84 and just restored the 1A as the 84. I had not seen anything about the original ecto1 for years until the game came out.. then you hear about restoration and the new game came out (08-09) Then you see the Blu-ray and restored ecto 1 all of a sudden. Had anyone seen footage or pictures of the original Ecto1 prior to the restoration since 89? lol nevermind. Im the only one who thinks this. Its a dumb idea I guess.
Last edited by Travis Burrell on May 25th, 2016, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Travis Burrell wrote:im going to assume personally that the new ecto1 that was restored in 09 is really the 1A
But there's absolutely no basis to that theory. It's like the theory that suggested the R.M.S. Olympic and the R.M.S. Titanic had their registries swapped over* so the White Star Line could recover the costs caused to the Olympic after she was hit by a Naval vessel.

The only part of the theory I could potentially buy into is that elements of Ecto-1A's engine might have been repurposed to help the Ecto-1 run again, and a few of the cosmetic additions that were found on both cars.

* Said theory ignores or fails to account for the vast differences in appearance and design to the two ocean liners.
deadderek, dr.paul liked this
Kingpin wrote:
Travis Burrell wrote:im going to assume personally that the new ecto1 that was restored in 09 is really the 1A
But there's absolutely no basis to that theory. It's like the theory that suggested the R.M.S. Olympic and the R.M.S. Titanic had their registries swapped over* so the White Star Line could recover the costs caused to the Olympic after she was hit by a Naval vessel.

The only part of the theory I could potentially buy into is that elements of Ecto-1A's engine might have been repurposed to help the Ecto-1 run again, and a few of the cosmetic additions that were found on both cars.

* Said theory ignores or fails to account for the vast differences in appearance and design to the two ocean liners.
Oh believe me, I understand that my theory is just a theory and that is all. Im just saying what I believe. What I say means nothing obviously. Just ideas. I constantly think outside of the box and hardly ever think the norm.
Plus after looking at this image again, clearly you can see the white walled Ecto1. Sorry, I get crazy ideas in my head and get the gears turning too often, too ridiculous.

also, I just found this. actually not sure when this image was truly captured. so who knows where it is.

http://protoncharging.com/2008/04/29/ec ... shed-back/
Also, one more question about the two Ectos that Im trying to figure out..

If the Gray and Ecto1 were in #1
and the Ecto1 and Ecto1A were in #2

Does anyone know if the gray was converted to the 1A to be used in the second film?
Travis Burrell wrote:Does anyone know if the gray was converted to the 1A to be used in the second film?
For a time it was believed that the black and gray "Pre-Ecto" had been converted into the Ecto-1 replica that resided at Universal Studios Florida when the Ghostbusters Spooktacular (and the subsequent stage shows) were in operation, but it's my vague recollection that doubt had been cast on that assumption.
The rumor was that the 1A was going to get a "Pimp My Ride" treatment with a bunch of Sony stereo gear, video monitors, etc. I remember hearing that CVS went over-budget on the E1 restoration, so the E1A project was cancelled after disassembly. The 1A was eventually transported back to Sony and stored out in the open. Pics leaked online, restoration petitions popped up, movie and car blogs ran with the story, showing Sony in a bad light. This caused Sony to store the car out of public sight.

Honestly, the longer the car is in pieces, the less likely a proper restoration is to happen. I've already heard horror stories of sticky-fingered fans snatching mementos off of the car.
Travis Burrell wrote: There was a recent photo someone took here.....This was outside Highland Park area.
That was the original E1. It was on that location with the reboot E1 for (I think) Jay Leno's Youtube series with Aykroyd.
deadderek liked this
d_osborn wrote: I've already heard horror stories of sticky-fingered fans snatching mementos off of the car.
I was so upset when I originally read that in the article of Ecto 1A history. This really pisses me off that people cant respect such a classic.
Im a car guy and I think I have always loved the Ecto 1 and Ecto1A more than the rest of the movie. I still think of finding a 59ish and restoring it, even though there are what 400 in existence? lol. One day. One day.

Well, at least Ecto 1A is still out there then.. Hopefully.
I heard that their were only 25 made in 59, but don't quote me on that.
Dr. Peter Venkman: I think that's a smart move, Travis.

I'm not a car person but I wish that cars still had tail fins, and even without tail fins I wish they didn't merge the headlights into the hood. :(

Have you heard of this company? They make Mustangs with the sixties body but the conveniences of modern cars: http://revologycars.com/ It would be cool to have one of them :)
Travis Burrell liked this
Sav C wrote:I heard that their were only 25 made in 59, but don't quote me on that.
Dr. Peter Venkman: I think that's a smart move, Travis.

I'm not a car person but I wish that cars still had tail fins, and even without tail fins I wish they didn't merge the headlights into the hood. :(

Have you heard of this company? They make Mustangs with the sixties body but the conveniences of modern cars: http://revologycars.com/ It would be cool to have one of them :)
I haven't seen that yet. I did however, see the Magnum that someone threw fins and rear bumper on to give it more of the 59 look. I think that looks kind of sweet.

I have often wondered why some body shop hasn't just tried to find a 70s caddy and grab a totaled out 59 coupe and just add the body to the 70s rear end. I think it could give it a look of a complete 59 in a way.
Sav C liked this
I haven't seen the Magnum yet, but will have to look for it now.

Maybe the 70s chassis wouldn't fit with the 59 body, but I wouldn't know.
This Post Contains Spoilers
I think all of the responses to this original post have summed up the reality that ecto 1 was restored and ecto 1a was not. There are photos of both cars at cvs next to each other posted somewhere on this site. Like other members pointed out.. Both cars were suppose to be restored but only ecto 1 was restored before sony pulled the plug on 1a. I have seen a photo of 1a that was taken after the "last known picture" of it went viral. Photo was taken before the car was moved from its spot in the "last known picture". I wish I could say where 1a is now but I don't know. I have heard the same things everyone has already said, it's in storage. I can confirm 1a is not in the same location as it was in the "last known picture" and it was moved when the petition was created since that move royally pissed off sony. As far as stolen parts go... Everything is loose from the car so hopefully nothing else will walk away. You can see the main roof rack behind 1a in the photo that went viral. Obviously the front two lightbars weren't secure just sitting on the hood too.
cincypd wrote:I think all of the responses to this original post have summed up the reality that ecto 1 was restored and ecto 1a was not. There are photos of both cars at cvs next to each other posted somewhere on this site. Like other members pointed out.. Both cars were suppose to be restored but only ecto 1 was restored before sony pulled the plug on 1a. I have seen a photo of 1a that was taken after the "last known picture" of it went viral. Photo was taken before the car was moved from its spot in the "last known picture". I wish I could say where 1a is now but I don't know. I have heard the same things everyone has already said, it's in storage. I can confirm 1a is not in the same location as it was in the "last known picture" and it was moved when the petition was created since that move royally pissed off sony. As far as stolen parts go... Everything is loose from the car so hopefully nothing else will walk away. You can see the main roof rack behind 1a in the photo that went viral. Obviously the front two lightbars weren't secure just sitting on the hood too.
Can you share the photo? Can you provide us a link to it?
Unfortunately I do not have permission to pass the photo around that I have. There's no link for the photo because it was sent to my phone from a friend who took the photo of 1a after the viral photo came out. I can say the car was sitting in the same spot in this photo as in the viral photo. It's a different angle though. Picture was taken from the driver side front end.
It does look like they put the Ecto-1a stuff in the car. If they indeed did scrap the decals off the car. But, Everyone knows the Ecto-1A had a red rear buumper which looks more like a diamond plated sheed metal kind. The Ecto-1 was different.

Both cars were the same make and model. As I read on a website Wikipedia. it did say the black and gray car was leased for that scene where Ray bought it to the firehouse, where he got it for $4800 telling Peter it needs some work. That car was never converted to an Ecto-1. However. That black and gray car was then bought and converted to an Ecto-1.

If I remember right, Wikipedia notes that the first Ecto-1 car died on set so they had to use another. I assuming they had a few back ups?

On the Start of Ghostbusters 2, the Ecto-1 was about to break down, which it did. I think they intended that way on the movie. So after the 3 guys got the ghosts at the court house we see the Ecto-1a.

After Ghostbusters 2 the car was used to go around Hardees Restaurants, til it sat there in the Universal Studios lot for a while then Sony bought it.

I did read that they were supposed to restore both cars at the same time. However, Sony decide to put Ecto-1A on the back burner citing funding issues. I know they have alot of money but they didnt do a good job with restoring the Ecto-1, according to one of the fans who has been visiting the Sony Back Lot many times for that car. and he is in the process in making his own Ecto-1.

I also read that Sony had planned to send the Ecto-1A to the crusher. I am not so sure if that is a rumor. Someone was trying to collect signatures to keep the 1A from having a date with the crusher. That person figures that we all could work together to restore her.

Sony in my option should build themself a large Museum to display all their cars. I know, sometimes in the movie the vehicle gets distoried. or other times it gets sold to another place or a someone who we would call a private owner would come to shell out money for that. Let me give you some examples about why Sony should get an indoor museum to display the Ecto-1 and Ecto-1A and other vehicles.

You know what happens when you let the car sit outside in the sun for a very long time. The paint on the vehicle could wear out or fade, stuff could fall on the vehicle to cause some damage, or some moron ran into it because they didnt pay attention. or a tree fell. Either way. One good example is like this:

Richard Petty. the winningest Nascar driver in history. had kept some of his cars which were on display at his musuem. I think most of them had to be restored to how it was when he drove it. Some may be like how it was like after he last raced it. I dont think he had to spend alot of money to restore the cars because they were kept indoors.

Also my dad had a Ford F-150 Flareside Sport. The truck has the most expensive paint job done to it. Not only that. but it was rigged or should I say modded with the baddest sound system ever made. He kept that truck for years. It mostly sat inside the garage. The paint was still like new. He didnt drive it every day.

So. I would suggest Sony get a museum to put their Ectomobiles in there for display. I dont understand why people would treat the movie cars like they are junk and not worth being for display. They may have made more money if they had such thing and show off everything because I think alot of people would love to see more of everything.

What do you say? Sorry to steer you off topic for a bit but that was an example I had to toss on here.
Sav C liked this

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]

Hard to tell if it’s an actual black fligh[…]

Positron Props GB1 Pack Build

Awesome!! Good luck on your build! Tom's shell i[…]

Trailer posted for release for the Frozen Empire u[…]