Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By JurorNo.2
I really love this moment at the end of the first Ghostbusters. I mean Peter was the one who started the "She's a dog" quip. And then later he essentially has his own callousness thrown back in his face by Ray (unintentionally, but still). Ray apologizes because he's Ray, but clearly Peter is the one who is sorry.
By Sav C
Wow, that's a great analysis. Also when they cross the streams, Peter lets Ray have the last word "Nice working with you, Dr. Venkman" which is out of character for him. Those subtle character arcs are what make the film so re-watchable if you ask me, they aren't too overly dramatic.
deadderek, SpaceBallz liked this
By JurorNo.2
Sav C wrote:Wow, that's a great analysis. Also when they cross the streams, Peter lets Ray have the last word "Nice working with you, Dr. Venkman" which is out of character for him. Those subtle character arcs are what make the film so re-watchable if you ask me, they aren't too overly dramatic.
That's a great moment too, and they set it up earlier when Ray is really touched that Peter stood back and let the crowd cheer for him. You know, everyone talks about Ray being the enthusiastic one, but the one thing he is not enthusiastic about for much of the movie is Peter. I mean if you're a big Venkman fan, Ray might seem a bit of a wet blanket, reminding him that he never let college, never studied, etc. But it's all wrapped up nicely in the end, and as you say, without becoming too sappy.
Sav C liked this
By pferreira1983
JurorNo.2 wrote:I really love this moment at the end of the first Ghostbusters. I mean Peter was the one who started the "She's a dog" quip. And then later he essentially has his own callousness thrown back in his face by Ray (unintentionally, but still). Ray apologizes because he's Ray, but clearly Peter is the one who is sorry.
Yeah that was a touching moment.
JurorNo.2, Sav C liked this
By Alex Newborn
Did you ever notice the entire line is spoken while Ray is off-camera? I suspect as they edited the scene, the emotional looks needed a tiny bit of exposition for the audience, so they came up with a somewhat humorous way of conveying that Venkman thought Dana was dead, and had Aykroyd record the line in post to go over the previously silent looks.

Alex
Sav C, pferreira1983 liked this
By JurorNo.2
Alex Newborn wrote:Did you ever notice the entire line is spoken while Ray is off-camera? I suspect as they edited the scene, the emotional looks needed a tiny bit of exposition for the audience, so they came up with a somewhat humorous way of conveying that Venkman thought Dana was dead, and had Aykroyd record the line in post to go over the previously silent looks.

Alex
Good point, I also noticed that with the "Look!" a minute later, like perhaps they were making sure the audience followed what was going on. Kudos to the editor as well!
Sav C liked this
By JurorNo.2
Bangoose wrote:True, they could have gone the old cliché way and have Peter punch or grab Ray in an angry manner for the remark, Glad they didnt
Oh gosh, you're right, that is exactly what most movies would do.
Sav C liked this
By kevinj319
Alex Newborn wrote:Did you ever notice the entire line is spoken while Ray is off-camera? I suspect as they edited the scene, the emotional looks needed a tiny bit of exposition for the audience, so they came up with a somewhat humorous way of conveying that Venkman thought Dana was dead, and had Aykroyd record the line in post to go over the previously silent looks.

Alex
It's possible, though I suspect it was more of a choice to show on screen what is important at that moment, which is Venkman's reaction, rather than who is speaking. Plus it provides a punch of comic relief when they finally do cut to Ray, and the dramatic moment is broken when you remember he is standing there, sullen, covered in marshmallow.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By JurorNo.2
kevinj319 wrote: and the dramatic moment is broken when you remember he is standing there, sullen, covered in marshmallow.
Is it broken? I didn't notice. ;)
By Scum
Also, in the moment of revelation to cross the streams, Pete gets Ray back for the slap to the face in jail.

Another thing this thread has got me thinking about. When Ray is asking everyone if their okay, Peter, with an obviously pissed off tone replies "Fine." Is he upset because he's got a feeling Dana is dead? Or is it because he's upset he's still alive after crossing the streams and showing a vulnerable side of himself? Survivor's remorse? Always wondered about that scene/dialogue.
Sav C liked this
By Scum
Sav C wrote:I suspect that was just Bill's mood at the time. He didn't like the marshmallow/shaving cream and that's why he's the only one not covered in it.
I guess it kind of ties into them tricking him into wearing the heavier proton pack? I always looked at him having the bare minimum marshmallow as more of an indicator of Venkman being kind of a coward on the inside. His natural fight or flight made him cower in fear and go running for cover as soon as he saw the proverbial marshmallow hit the fan.
Sav C liked this
By JurorNo.2
Scum wrote: Another thing this thread has got me thinking about. When Ray is asking everyone if their okay, Peter, with an obviously pissed off tone replies "Fine." Is he upset because he's got a feeling Dana is dead? Or is it because he's upset he's still alive after crossing the streams and showing a vulnerable side of himself? Survivor's remorse? Always wondered about that scene/dialogue.
I just took it as Venkman saying, "Yes, we're obviously fine, stop asking." Lol

Actually I always think it's funny at the end of both films when the guys ask, "Are you OK?" Somehow they never sound all that prepared if that person isn't OK, lol.
Scum liked this
By CRPZeddemore
I believe and always have about Peter is he is taking it all in. He is processing the seriousness that occurred. When your mind is on something else it might come off as you are sounding short with someone with a one word answer but your just thinking and processing events in your head.
Scum, JurorNo.2 liked this
    Ecto Containment Unit

Hey sorry I never saw this…it’s just […]

Greetings from Montana

Hey and welcome

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]