Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
Sure there is. GB falls into geek culture as well as pop culture due to it's horror and sci fi aspects, so you're guaranteed to see it in public on a more regular basis. I'll agree they are classics, but Ben Hur 2016 was a box office flop and M7 had a tremendous cast that put butts in seats. The ingrained perception of GB is of Murray, Akyroyd, Ramis and Hudson. But not having them as their original characters, it absolutely opened ATC up to a different perspective.
DarkSpectre wrote:Sure there is. GB falls into geek culture as well as pop culture due to it's horror and sci fi aspects, so you're guaranteed to see it in public on a more regular basis. I'll agree they are classics, but Ben Hur 2016 was a box office flop and M7 had a tremendous cast that put butts in seats. The ingrained perception of GB is of Murray, Akyroyd, Ramis and Hudson. But not having them as their original characters, it absolutely opened ATC up to a different perspective.
Ben-Hur may have flopped, but no one can say with a straight face that it generated anywhere near the degree of constant hatred and toxicity. And that is utterly embarrassing. As is this bizarre obsession and fixation on "canon" and "continuity."
Women aren't funny is a concept i never herd of till a few monthe ago. Thats definitely a misogynist statements. Studios remake movies because it has a bankable fanbase or they're recycling an idea that's worked before, like a true grit. If it's not getting scrutinize its probably the ladder. Im sure there's alot of movies fans doent even realize its a remake. If your not giving your fanbase what they want and want to challenge the audience, which im not saying is necessarily a bad thing, you have to expect some backlash and not be upset by negative fan reaction. I don't want to generalise Ghostbusters as a comedy but its own enity
JurorNo.2 liked this
ccv66 wrote:Women aren't funny is a concept i never herd of till a few monthe ago.
Well, I was best friends with a Hitchens disciple. I've seen first hand how influential that comment became, sadly, heh.
If your not giving your fanbase what they want and want to challenge the audience, which im not saying is necessarily a bad thing, you have to expect some backlash and not be upset by negative fan reaction.
I agree...the key word being some backlash. Some backlash would have been nice.
ccv66 liked this
I wasnt surprised by the amount of backlash. I figured paul feig was going ro get hate mail to the day he died, before i even seen the movie. Like george lucas and jar jar binks. however they got way more inappropriate then i thought. There's no excuse for racist or misogynist comments. I hope that's more from internet trolls than Ghostbusters fan. It didn't help that cast, director , studio and media fed into the fan hate
JurorNo.2 liked this
Not to undermine anyone's points, but I don't think baby boomers would react to their childhood movies being remade the same way generations x, y, and z would. That's what Feig was probably getting at when he said
When [the original] Ghostbusters came out, I was in film school and went to see it on opening night, I was 20 or 21 and went with my friends, and we thought it was the funniest thing we'd ever seen. I hadn't seen anything like it. To see comedy done on that grand of a scale with special effects was a game changer. So for us it was an amazing comedy. What I didn't realize was then a generation after, younger than me, that was a big deal for them. They would run around the neighborhood playing those characters, and for guys that was a big thing, that movie. I didn't realize that. I just thought for everyone it was this amazing comedy, and what I love about it is it was this amazing showcase for [a group of] the funniest people working at the time — instead of this being trapped in amber.

He didn't realize that many people from the younger generations don't consider films to be inanimate objects (I'm speaking figuratively,) to them they're a part of their own personalities.
JurorNo.2 liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
So are Ben-Hur and Magnificent Seven (the latter of which does have a popular theme). They are hardly obscure movies. I'm sorry but there is no real justification for that kind of inconsistency. Fans can't claim to care so much about originality and integrity and then go "Ho hum" when 50 year old classics are remade. It does end up looking like nothing more than bruised childhoods.
Actually these had the same reaction only 50 years ago. Hollywood took Seven Samurai and white washed it by making it Magnificent Seven. It was a remake 50 years ago. What is out now is a remake of a remake. And Ben-Hur was based on a novel. That story was already 80 years old when it was made into a film. It also caused an uproar with its white actors in "Egyptian face."

The great success of both films is actually a testament to how racially biased we were as a country 50 years ago. We didn't care to hear some Japanese story or care enough about the middle east to do it justice in Ben-Hur. Thankfully that has changed but both films remain as a reminder of these issues.
Coover5 wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
So are Ben-Hur and Magnificent Seven (the latter of which does have a popular theme). They are hardly obscure movies. I'm sorry but there is no real justification for that kind of inconsistency. Fans can't claim to care so much about originality and integrity and then go "Ho hum" when 50 year old classics are remade. It does end up looking like nothing more than bruised childhoods.
Actually these had the same reaction only 50 years ago. Hollywood took Seven Samurai and white washed it by making it Magnificent Seven. It was a remake 50 years ago. What is out now is a remake of a remake. And Ben-Hur was based on a novel. That story was already 80 years old when it was made into a film. It also caused an uproar with its white actors in "Egyptian face."

The great success of both films is actually a testament to how racially biased we were as a country 50 years ago. We didn't care to hear some Japanese story or care enough about the middle east to do it justice in Ben-Hur. Thankfully that has changed but both films remain as a reminder of these issues.
Oh I definitely know the history about Seven Samurai, etc. I can understand being against white washing. I only wish the crusade against GB16 had been quite so noble.
ccv66 wrote:My uncle is in the baby boomer generation and any time i bring up a western remake, he thinks its pointless. He owns and likes the original no need to go see the new one.
Where to me its not a movie but more or a hobby. Id agree different minds sets
My father is in the baby boomer generation. Generally finds remakes tiresome. Really enjoyed GB16. (Ah, anecdotes, hehe.)
Sav C, ccv66 liked this
ccv66 wrote:however they got way more inappropriate then i thought. There's no excuse for racist or misogynist comments. I hope that's more from internet trolls than Ghostbusters fan. It didn't help that cast, director , studio and media fed into the fan hate
It's a little of both. In any case, they're used to be able to say whatever they want online. You can see how shocked they were when Feig, Jones, the original cast, and the media didn't take their side on the matter. Plus, there's definitely a connection to all the craziness with this election year.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on November 2nd, 2016, 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sav C wrote:He didn't realize that many people from the younger generations don't consider films to be inanimate objects (I'm speaking figuratively,) to them they're a part of their own personalities.
Good point. Reminds me of when my Uncle was playing a video game with my cousin. He was shocked to see my cousin get so furious when the game stopped working. Definitely a generation gap there.
Sav C liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Sav C wrote:He didn't realize that many people from the younger generations don't consider films to be inanimate objects (I'm speaking figuratively,) to them they're a part of their own personalities.
Good point. Reminds me of when my Uncle was playing a video game with my cousin. He was shocked to see my cousin get so furious when the game stopped working. Definitely a generation gap there.
Maybe it's just because I can never win them, but I've never liked video games much, I find music and movies much more substantial. That must be pretty odd for someone from generation z.
ccv66 wrote:My main point i dont think the movie helped gender equality, probably made it worse. Could have producer s shy away from casting female leads and created a boys vs girls mentality. I could see women feeling alienated by the alleged male resistance to an all female cast.
I agree. I think gender equality will vanish when we stop making reference to such a thing and start treating each other equally. Feig took the wrong route.
Kingpin wrote:
ccv66 wrote:Men get sexualized too and pushed to live up to unrealistic expectations.
Not nearly as often or as extreme.
But I don't see topless women strutting around during daytime TV, with men I do.
Commander_Jim wrote: What concept is that? I mean, ever since Gal Gadot was cast as Wonder Woman there's been non-stop complaining that they cast a sexy, petite actress who isn't physically big and strong enough for WW.
The problem or problems with Gal Gadot is both the fact she doesn't look anything as you mention having the build of the character and also can't act.
JurorNo.2 wrote:
My father is in the baby boomer generation. Generally finds remakes tiresome. Really enjoyed GB16. (Ah, anecdotes, hehe.)
A couple of years ago my dad surprised me when he showed me he knew more about the 80s Ninja Turtles series that I thought he knew about.
Last edited by Kingpin on November 6th, 2016, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote code
JurorNo.2 liked this
Kingpin wrote:
pferreira1983 wrote:But I don't see topless women strutting around during daytime TV, with men I do.
It should be pretty obvious why.
Because it's okay to sexualize men in media but not women? That's quite the double standard and the opposite of equality!
pferreira1983 liked this
Skyknight wrote:
Kingpin wrote:
Because it's okay to sexualize men in media but not women?
No, because women are the ones who are at home to watch Daytime TV. The networks know their audience.
Skyknight wrote:Because it's okay to sexualize men in media but not women? That's quite the double standard and the opposite of equality!
You've missed the painfully obvious actual reason why you're not going to see topless women "parading around" on daytime television.
ParanormalTx, ccv66 liked this
Baywatch.. Soap operas and love novels your going to find men being sexualized. Media aimed towards men you 'll find women in skimpy clothing. People are intelligent and understand the different dynamics of fantasy and real life and those who dont, should be blamed on bad parenting. As long as they keep making money it will stay the same
Kingpin wrote:
No I don't. If men and women should be treated equally I would say why didn't my favourite TV series of all time Smallville (I'm exaggerating obviously) have topless women in it? We get a topless Clark.
JurorNo.2 wrote:
No, because women are the ones who are at home to watch Daytime TV. The networks know their audience.
I don't just mean daytime TV, I mean genre TV as well. Plus men stay at home as well or are we conforming to a stereotype that women only stay at home, as in don't work?
Skyknight wrote: Because it's okay to sexualize men in media but not women? That's quite the double standard and the opposite of equality!
Exactly!
pferreira1983 wrote:I don't just mean daytime TV, I mean genre TV as well. Plus men stay at home as well or are we conforming to a stereotype that women only stay at home, as in don't work?
Men don't (or often, can't) stay home anywhere near as much as women.
JurorNo.2 wrote:
pferreira1983 wrote:I don't just mean daytime TV, I mean genre TV as well. Plus men stay at home as well or are we conforming to a stereotype that women only stay at home, as in don't work?
And now you're applying just the kind of stereotypes that he was talking of!
pferreira1983 liked this
Skyknight wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
And now you're applying just the kind of stereotypes that he was talking of!
Well that's not a stereotype, that's a fact that has been documented. There's a variety of reasons why. Men have a more difficult time getting paternity leave, for instance. Not to mention, men feel an obligation to be the primary bread winner. And they have a higher chance of getting a well paying job.

And anyway, stereotypes aren't lies, they are overly simplistic labels that are based in fact.
ccv66 wrote:If daytime tv dramas got rid of their male hunks and casted old fat men, do you think women would be upset and if so would they be labeled misandrists?
Soap operas already have plenty of old fat men; female viewers watch because they remember when they used to be hunks. ;)
Sav C, ccv66 liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
For all talk of equality you make it sound like women's place in the world is in the kitchen. Maybe that's not what you intend but that's how what you said sounded like. Now I can bring to mind that stereotype but it's not something I agree with due to it being old fashioned and doesn't mean it's fair on females or that's something we should enforce. But I do know of men staying at home as much as women.
pferreira1983 wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
For all talk of equality you make it sound like women's place in the world is in the kitchen. Maybe that's not what you intend but that's how what you said sounded like. Now I can bring to mind that stereotype but it's not something I agree with due to it being old fashioned and doesn't mean it's fair on females or that's something we should enforce. But I do know of men staying at home as much as women.
Um, considering I'm a woman with a job outside the home, no that is not what I said, lol.

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]