Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By *NormalGamer*
Sav C wrote:I have a feeling we'll be seeing quite a bit more of the characters from the reboot universe. :love:
It's like I said: the GB universe is ripe for exploration; as long as all characters from their respective worlds (old and new) are equally represented in their stories, arcs, etc. then everything should run much smoothly. Fortunately, GB101 is just a taste of what's to come. ^_^
JurorNo.2, Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
By Kingpin
We also have to remember to take into the fact that what goldenhawk's reported is at the very least second or third-hand information (and we don't know the source of the info, or just how well informed they were on the subject), and to factor in his animus towards the reboot in general.

I do recall the intention being said that the new series wouldn't specifically be classic or reboot Ghostbusters, but could be left open to be interpreted as a continuation of either, though intentions can and do change as things move along in production.

Though, depending on what was actually said, the person giving out the scoop on Ecto Force may have been suggesting it would be a Holtzmann-like character serving as the mentor, rather than specifically Holtzmann herself... but we'll just have to wait and see what comes along in the near future.
By Alphagaia
Yeah, and still, even if this rumor is true, I would like to see some people back it up or provide solid proof, it still does not mean the old universe is forgotten.
The 101 comic seems to be a hit and nothing in the rumor states dimensions are not a thing. Heck, even the kids/ghosts could stem from different dimensions, with occasional trips to the 2016 and 1984 dimensions, and Holtzmann happen to get herself lost or something.
*NormalGamer* liked this
By DaveLister
JurorNo.2 wrote:
pferreira1983 wrote:I'd be interested to know how so because it matched the trailer pretty much, the humour, almost the visual effects were the same, more or the less it was the same.
A lot of the lines in the trailer I found to be much funnier when in the context of watching the movie from start to finish, as is the case with many trailers.

The visual effects were amazing. Period.
I post this as an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HilOn3vwbDg
JurorNo.2 liked this
By SpaceBallz
".........Ectoforce Force is not what you think. No original stuff. We have seen some preliminary storyboards when they were shown to Reitman. Chew on this. The title is Ghostbusters: Ectoforce 2040. Basically copies the storyline of Extreme Ghostbusters. The crazy Holtzman chick is the new Egon mentor to a new team of Ghostbusters. There is a white girl who is her field commander. A Latina/mixed race girl. A Indian guy who is a techno-nerd. And a black, mechanic guy who is related to the loud-mouth subway worker. I guess they are both from Da Streets of New York! There is a fifth member who is also a book nerd researcher type. As for tech, think jet packs. Think Iron Man type blasters and targeting helmets. Think flying Ecto Mobile with opening roof and launch pad. Think dimensional trap where to put ghosts. Looks way to far fetched, but they are aiming this at kids. Also, think possible cross over with TMNT. Yeah, those TMNTs."
...oh lawd. Iron Man-like suits with built-in blasters? Flying Ecto? 50 year old Holtzman? And it's set in 2040, the TMNTs would be far from teenagers.

This is dripping with the animated "Evolution" series and will last just as long.
By timeware
TMNT 2012 has plenty of dimension hopping, not just dimension x hopping. Wouldn't be to much of a stretch to throw the Turtles into the future. Did anyone catch the Ghostbusting Mikey with the last episode?
By pferreira1983
Alphagaia wrote:and 'I'm so high right now'. (Another thing we Dutchies are known for, hehe).
Ah that would explain some of your posts. Sorry I couldn't resist. :mrgreen:
EddieSpenser wrote:Please tell me you made that up. Please.
It's like a bad dream you can't wake from.
JurorNo.2 wrote:I am sworn not to respond to "Goldenhawk's" posts (for which I am infinitely thankful), but just going by that quoted text, I don't see what's especially bad about the alleged spoilers. And I'm not just defending it "because diversity." Extreme had diversity but I honestly don't see why it's so popular now (other than it got cancelled early and that can inspire a cult classic mentality).
Really? Who told you you're not allowed to respond to goldenhawk?

In regards to the rumour I guess it depends whether you thought Extreme Ghostbusters was a good idea as it sounds similar to that.
SpaceBallz wrote:...oh lawd. Iron Man-like suits with built-in blasters? Flying Ecto? 50 year old Holtzman? And it's set in 2040, the TMNTs would be far from teenagers.

This is dripping with the animated "Evolution" series and will last just as long.
I'll just leave this here:

By timeware
Didn't that run back to back with Extreme Ghostbusters on UPN kids? I'd forgotten about that Robocop and thought it was a decent series. I probably have a few of those cartoon blocks on VHS still.
By *NormalGamer*
timeware wrote:Didn't that run back to back with Extreme Ghostbusters on UPN kids?

I don't think so. Since EGB was running in syndication on the BKN block on UPN, I don't remember Robocop: AC airing on this block.
timeware wrote:I'd forgotten about that Robocop and thought it was a decent series. I probably have a few of those cartoon blocks on VHS still.
I remember both the original 1980's animated show and Robocop: AC; both were decent shows in their own right.
By Kingpin
pferreira1983 wrote:Who told you you're not allowed to respond to goldenhawk?
Some members have been asked to put other members on their ignore lists for forum cohesion.
By pferreira1983
timeware wrote:Didn't that run back to back with Extreme Ghostbusters on UPN kids? I'd forgotten about that Robocop and thought it was a decent series. I probably have a few of those cartoon blocks on VHS still.
It made a total mockery of Robocop, hopefully the new Ghostbusters series won't be like this but the rumour makes it sound like it will.

Also from what I understand Alpha Commando aired just before Pokemon.
Kingpin wrote:
Some members have been asked to put other members on their ignore lists for forum cohesion.
Oh right ok.
By Sav C
SSJmole wrote:
SpaceBallz wrote:I'd like to see a NetFlix series with a new franchise in a different city. I wouldn't mind mentioning the originals and the reboot cast characters in subtle dialogue. I just want to see something that everybody can enjoy, not just members of a particular gender or movement.
I'd love a a Netflix show BUT I want based on new films characters. As a "real ghostbusters" style cartoon but modern (I'm thinking 3d in style of Star wars clone wars or rebels) it'd be a blast.

You actually have different weapons. Cool designs for the tech already that it'd be less design changes. That'd. Be great. You could get different writers for different enemies like say for example:

Sam Rami doing an episode about a ghost that can make people zombies bringing the horror of his evil dead films to the family friendly Spider-Man in terms of tone. It'd be awesome
Dan Aykroyd is now talking about a netflix life action Ghostbusters show that may revolve around teenage Ghostbusters. Could be cool.
By Marcus B
Sav C wrote: Dan Aykroyd is now talking about a netflix life action Ghostbusters show that may revolve around teenage Ghostbusters. Could be cool.
Respectfully, no. That's a dumb idea.
By Alphagaia
I like it. Worked for Extreme GB.
It would make sense the spiritual world would become a subject to teach highschoolers about.

Could be interesting if this is how they recruit new kadets. Mandatory field trips with Winston, Ray in front of the class, Egon disappeared with a whole class because of some weird experiment which means the government has an agent checking every move they make now (guess who that does) and Bill never attending but sometimes schoolgirls mentioning he prefers teaching at home.

Maybe not that last one.
Sav C, *NormalGamer* liked this
By Sav C
Marcus B wrote:
Sav C wrote: Dan Aykroyd is now talking about a netflix life action Ghostbusters show that may revolve around teenage Ghostbusters. Could be cool.
Respectfully, no. That's a dumb idea.
Eh, if you say so. I think he may of been half joking about that part, I'm not sure.
Alphagaia wrote:I like it. Worked for Extreme GB.
It would make sense the spiritual world would become a subject to teach highschoolers about.

Could be interesting if this is how they recruit new kadets. Mandatory field trips with Winston, Ray in front of the class, Egon disappeared with a whole class because of some weird experiment which means the government has an agent checking every move they make now (guess who that does) and Bill never attending but sometimes schoolgirls mentioning he prefers teaching at home.

Maybe not that last one.
It would make sense, although kids now would probably be the same ungrateful little Yuppie larvae they were almost thirty years ago. Might be hard to teach.

Yeah, maybe not that last one. Actually the idea of the entire class disappearing may be a tad bit too much, but it might be OK. We'll have to see, they could really make it pretty cool.
*NormalGamer* liked this
By Kingpin
There's a lot more that can be forgiven as it was a cartoon, there can be a fine line in making said teenagers likeable or annoying when writing them in live action.

Personally, I'm not interested in seeing teenaged live-action Ghostbusters, sure, it gives the show greater longevity... but I'd prefer adult Ghostbusters.
By Sav C
Kingpin wrote:
There's a lot more that can be forgiven as it was a cartoon, there can be a fine line in making said teenagers likeable or annoying when writing them in live action.
That's very true. I can barely make myself likable. ;)
Dr. Raymond Stantz: It CAN'T be!
Dr. Peter Venkman: What did you DO, Ray?
Winston Zeddemore: Oh, shit!
[they all see a giant cubic white head topped with a sailor hat, Peter looks at Ray]
Dr. Raymond Stantz: [somberly] It's the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.
Teenager: [Doesn't look up from smart phone]
Personally, I'm not interested in seeing teenaged live-action Ghostbusters, sure, it gives the show greater longevity... but I'd prefer adult Ghostbusters.
I think I agree. I mean if they are written right then I wouldn't see it being a problem at all, but odds all they will fall back on stereotypes from time to time. Dan said that they'd be drawing inspiration or whatnot from Stranger Things, and while I didn't get three episodes into the series there were teenagers and kids that I liked and others that I didn't really care for. Right now it's speculation and who knows if this concept is anything more than a one off remark by Dan. I'm sure the idea of a Netflix show has been tossed around a lot, but maybe Stranger Things hasn't been a part of the conversation at all.

It reminds me of Rick Moranis saying on the GBII EPK that he was saying Ghostbusters should be a weekly show.
*NormalGamer* liked this
By G.I.T.
Considering Netflix's handling of Riverdale and the retro time capsule feel of Stranger Things, a possible highschool Ghostbusters Netflix series seems safe but unoriginal, in my opinion.

Like Spiderman Homecoming, teenagers just aren't that relatable as characters to a wider audience; even in That 70s Show the actors seemed more like in their 20s when I was a teen. Which is why I'd rather see a Netflix series of Peter's frat years, Ray's inner child trying to adult, and Egon's early experiments. Ghostbusters is about starting anew, and when do we all start life? After highschool.
By Alphagaia
If they do a young Peter, Ray, Egon it could not be about catching ghosts, since Slimer is the first one they get.
I think they will go a different route as busting ghosts is kinda mandatory.
Sav C liked this
By Kingpin
Having Peter, Ray and Egon during their college years as the main basis of the show runs the risk of it being a pale imitation of Supernatural, and I'm not sure why anyone would want to see a series about the Ghostbusters before they became the Ghostbusters.
Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
By mrmichaelt
Alphagaia wrote: but it would be better to introduce teachable younger blood.
I would love to see a movie or TV show run with the idea of Peter's "Ghostbusters 101" from IDW Publishing. And naturally, it would be about casting right.

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]