Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
In a perfect world I would have loved to have seen this 10 years ago. Somehow, if they had went this route now, seeing the old gang old (or dead or not willing) would be such a bummer.

Nevertheless, this is a nice and well done trailer!

For me, the videogame is a great ending, but I do hope the animated movie will bring the 4 boys back on the big screen alive and kicking.
HunterCC wrote:Misleading thread title. Should be "The *movie* we should have gotten" . Having the original ghostbusters cast in the movie as their characters could have been great.
Having them do wink wink cameos was also great. And it's not the first time such cameos have been seen in a movie. :)
JurorNo.2 wrote:
HunterCC wrote:Misleading thread title. Should be "The *movie* we should have gotten" . Having the original ghostbusters cast in the movie as their characters could have been great.
Having them do wink wink cameos was also great. And it's not the first time such cameos have been seen in a movie. :)
Well, obviously the "wink wink cameos" weren't great. With plenty of reviewers saying those type cameos were distracting or unnecessary. And the film flopped.

My point is that in the OP trailer, the Real Ghostbusters are back, not just as cameos. A "passing the torch" movie like the trailer might have won over audiences.
pferreira1983 liked this
HunterCC wrote:And the film flopped.
Because a movie only has worth based on the salary of a Hollywood exec after all. :roll:
My point is that in the OP trailer, the Real Ghostbusters are back, not just as cameos.
That's extremely nitpicky. There is no such thing as "just a cameo." The audience all knows why the actors are there, they don't need it spoon fed to them that it's the character.
A "passing the torch" movie like the trailer might have won over audiences.
Not in China though, and that means another significant box office loss. And audience reactions are inconsistent. You can't keep using that as your only judgement call.

And frankly, I'm tired of hearing about a passing the torch after fans behaved so petulantly about it this year. Idk, geekdom used to be about being proud of being different. Now it's like a kid who's still whining in February about that truck or Barbie doll he/she didn't get at Christmas.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on January 10th, 2017, 2:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
*NormalGamer*, HunterCC liked this
Alphagaia wrote:Guys, let's keep it on the trailer instead of rehashing the same debate for the millionth time In a new thread.
To be fair, the trailer, by its very title, is intended to spark debate about the reboot we got vs the sequel we didn't get. ;)
HunterCC liked this
Even though I already come to terms with the fact that the possibility of a GBIII movie has diminished with the passing of Harold Ramis, I will admit this trailer is pretty nice; a blending mix of the 'old' and 'new'. ^_^
JurorNo.2, Alphagaia, Sav C and 1 others liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:Because a movie only has worth based on the salary of a Hollywood exec after all. :roll:
TBF, it may be more accurate to say that the "wink wink cameos" weren't enough to save the movie. Better way of putting it?
JurorNo.2 wrote:That's extremely nitpicky. There is no such thing as "just a cameo." The audience all knows why the actors are there, they don't need it spoon fed to them that it's the character.
But like you said in another post, it appears a main point of the OP trailer is to show a movie where the RGB characters are back, not just the actors. I agree with what you said of the trailer being meant to spark that debate.
A "passing the torch" movie like the trailer might have won over audiences.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Not in China though, and that means another significant box office loss. And audience reactions are inconsistent. You can't keep using that as your only judgement call.
Other movies, including the original GB, have been banned in China. Deadpool was a runaway box office hit and it was banned last year too.

Finding Dory, Civil War, the Star Wars movies, etc., benefited from China, but didn't need it to be successful. And there's no guarantee that GB16 wouldn't have flopped in China too.
JurorNo.2 wrote:And frankly, I'm tired of hearing about a passing the torch after fans behaved so petulantly about it this year. Idk, geekdom used to be about being proud of being different. Now it's like a kid who's still whining in February about that truck or Barbie doll he/she didn't get at Christmas.
It's not petulant to want the characters I assume we all love to come back. Not just the actors, the characters. The original cast and director (Murray, the other cast, Reitman) bear the blame for not getting GB3 done, but when Pascal and Feig started cutting Reitman out of the dealings making the film, they owned what type of movie would be made. Like the saying goes, you break it you buy it". Though in this case I would agree it was already broken, still they chose to go ahead with this reboot crap.
seekandannoy liked this
I think we can all agree a sequel was long overdue, and when someone finally came along to align the stars, people were disappointed he aligned them his way and not their way. Others where curious how this new take could differ and where it would be familiar.
The end result you either like/hate, on it's own merits and/or because of how it was conceived after a long, long labor.

(Sorry for the pregnancy comparisons: the wife is about to pop out a new Ghostbuster any day now and the wait is killing me.)

Bottomline, we are all still GBfans, and we have another spin-off to talk about and debate, but let's change the tune of us vs them. You don't have to like it, but acknowledge other people will without constantly attacking the movie or them and vice versa.
If we throw any more rocks into the pond the water will just be gone.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Hope whatever you like, it's a free country.
Ok, just so we're clear, I was talking about the original actors vs the original actors playing their original characters. Like the sequel so many people wanted.

Saw Passengers last night. Like Collateral Beauty it was good acting, not so strong on plot.
HunterCC wrote:Ok, just so we're clear, I was talking about the original actors vs the original actors playing their original characters.
I'm saying there is no "vs" in this case. Cameos aren't the actors playing other roles. We aren't supposed to care about the cab driver or hotel secretary as characters, lol. They are there as 4th wall in jokes to the audience. Again, it's hardly the first time such cameos have ever been seen in movies and no one ever had a problem with them in the history of film until this year, lol.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on January 11th, 2017, 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alphagaia wrote: (Sorry for the pregnancy comparisons: the wife is about to pop out a new Ghostbuster any day now and the wait is killing me.)
Congrats and best of luck! :D
If we throw any more rocks into the pond the water will just be gone.
I wish more people could see that.
Alphagaia liked this
HunterCC wrote:Other movies, including the original GB, have been banned in China. Deadpool was a runaway box office hit and it was banned last year too.

Finding Dory, Civil War, the Star Wars movies, etc., benefited from China, but didn't need it to be successful. And there's no guarantee that GB16 wouldn't have flopped in China too.
Now here's a thing that's been sitting in the back of my mind for quite some time. How is it that the Star Wars movies are not banned in China despite having ghosts of dead Jedi and supernatural abilities all over the place?
JurorNo.2, HunterCC liked this
Skyknight wrote:
HunterCC wrote:Other movies, including the original GB, have been banned in China. Deadpool was a runaway box office hit and it was banned last year too.

Now here's a thing that's been sitting in the back of my mind for quite some time. How is it that the Star Wars movies are not banned in China despite having ghosts of dead Jedi and supernatural abilities all over the place?
And sorcery in the Warcraft movie. Guess you'd have to see what they say. Again, action comedy Deadpool killed it in the box office and it was banned in China too.
pferreira1983 liked this
HunterCC wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
An exception that proves the rule. Hollywood pandered to China with Dr. Strange for a reason.
Wonder if it's really about content something else like kickbacks.
Here's what it's really about:
"'He originates from Tibet,' Cargill said during the podcast. "So if you acknowledge that Tibet is a place and that he's Tibetan, you risk alienating one billion people who think that that's bulls—t and risk the Chinese government going, 'Hey, you know one of the biggest film-watching countries in the world? We're not going to show your movie because you decided to get political.' China has the second-largest movie box office in the world, according to The Hollywood Reporter."
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-ameri ... er-n677706
JurorNo.2 wrote:
HunterCC wrote:Ok, just so we're clear, I was talking about the original actors vs the original actors playing their original characters.
I'm saying there is no "vs" in this case. Cameos aren't the actors playing other roles. We aren't supposed to care about the cab driver or hotel secretary as characters, lol. They are there as 4th wall in jokes to the audience. Again, it's hardly the first time such cameos have ever been seen in movies and no one ever had a problem with them in the history of film until this year, lol.
You don't think fans would have a major problem if Force Awakens had Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Mark Hamill playing "wink wink cameo" characters instead of their original characters? (Reposting funny pic)

Kudos to Swahili. His trailer is better than the GB16 trailer, mainly because it looks like his movie would be better. With the original characters included.
JurorNo.2 wrote:
HunterCC wrote:
Wonder if it's really about content something else like kickbacks.
Here's what it's really about:
"'He originates from Tibet,' Cargill said during the podcast. "So if you acknowledge that Tibet is a place and that he's Tibetan, you risk alienating one billion people who think that that's bulls—t and risk the Chinese government going, 'Hey, you know one of the biggest film-watching countries in the world? We're not going to show your movie because you decided to get political.' China has the second-largest movie box office in the world, according to The Hollywood Reporter."
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-ameri ... er-n677706
You know, I disapprove of the censorship, but if you're saying China banned GB16 because politics, I can almost sympathize them wanting to avoid the internet ****storm. Lol.
Matty PKE Question...URGENT

Depending on the price, it might be worth snatchin[…]

I have a full sized spirit pack, and I have the gh[…]

If you need any clarification at all, PM me or […]

Proton Props UK

Good decision to lift the ban! By the way: I think[…]