Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By RichardLess
steff wrote:
RichardLess wrote:
Can you just please accept that this did not happen. You are mis remembering. How do I know? You aren't the only GB fan in the UK. This would've been reported on. You did not see a different cut of GB2. You didn't. This has happened time and time again. It's always, I repeat AlWAYS, a wild goose chase. The elements you are referencing have never been married onto a master print. Never. There are only 2 versions of GB2: the theatrical and the TV edit for swear words. That's it. I know after you read this you'll continue to swear you saw the extended cut. But deep down you know. You know it's just your memory being a jerk. Otherwise we would have proof. This is the age of the Internet, these things are easy to find out.
There is no extended cut of GB2! I wish there was, but there isn't. No extended cut has ever aired on television. End of story.
Nope, your wrong
See the fact that you can't even entertain the idea that you've made a mistake says everything. So in a planet of 6 billion people the only person whose seen this extended cut is you? Cause guess what? Pretty sure it would be a big deal. Either you are lying or you are misremembering. I hope you wouldn't lie about something like this. Either way I know for a FACT that no marriage print of an extended cut has been made. I know this for a fact. How do I know? I asked one of the producers on facebook(his name escapes me. He died just a few years ago. He did a lot of the post production producing. Anyone want to help me out with a name?). So unless you have some proof you can show, you are wrong.

Edit: Michael Gross is that producers name.
deadderek, twmedford23 liked this
By steff
RichardLess wrote:
steff wrote:
Nope, your wrong
See the fact that you can't even entertain the idea that you've made a mistake says everything. So in a planet of 6 billion people the only person whose seen this extended cut is you? Cause guess what? Pretty sure it would be a big deal. Either you are lying or you are misremembering. I hope you wouldn't lie about something like this. Either way I know for a FACT that no marriage print of an extended cut has been made. I know this for a fact. How do I know? I asked one of the producers on facebook(his name escapes me. He died just a few years ago. He did a lot of the post production producing. Anyone want to help me out with a name?). So unless you have some proof you can show, you are wrong.

Edit: Michael Gross is that producers name.
Thats what im looking for, im not hear to argue and to be honest, i couldnt give a toss if you believe me or not, im trying to find it for myself, not you. So with thay said, carry on ranting away but its falling on deaf ears and i wont lose any sleep over someone who doest believe something i know i saw
By JurorNo.2
It is certainly possible. Not definite, but possible. A lot of movies over the years have extra scenes on TV that for whatever reason don't make it to DVD. And contrary to popular belief, the Internet does not know everything. ;)
steff, pferreira1983 liked this
By steff
It must be how the tv company purchase the the movies in some cases. The Movie censorship website shows a few like this, dvd versions being different to bluray versions, tv versions being different to dvd versions. Movie censorship did have gb 2 channel 5 version on it a year ago but has since been removed. It didnt show all the scenes i have been talking about, but it did show the change of 'sh*t happens' to 'things happen' in the courtroom scene and state 'channel 5 version'
By JurorNo.2
steff wrote:the change of 'sh*t happens' to 'things happen' in the courtroom scene and state 'channel 5 version'
Well at least one other person in the world saw that version, and shared it on Retrojunk.com:

Peter Venkman: "Sometimes, weird things happen, someone has to deal with it, and who're you going to call?"
http://www.retrojunk.com/content/child/ ... busters-ii
steff liked this
By steff
that has actually given me an idea, I'm going to email movie censorship.com and ask them if they still have the details, although the page is not there anymore, the my have just hidden it, if it says the date of the airing, that could be it!
By JurorNo.2
steff wrote:that has actually given me an idea, I'm going to email movie censorship.com and ask them if they still have the details, although the page is not there anymore, the my have just hidden it, if it says the date of the airing, that could be it!
If you don't, I will, because now I'm curious, lol.
By steff
have just sent this....Hello, im wondering if you could help me. You used to have a page for ghostbusters 2 - channel 5 version however it is no longer there. Is there any way to get the details of this again, as it could be vital in finding a missing version. Preferably the date of the Channel 5 airing.
Also you you tell me why it was removed?

Many thanks
Steff
JurorNo.2, Sav C liked this
By Alex Newborn
Actually, in the late 80s, ABC television ran Ghostbusters with alternate takes replacing some of the swear lines. (Other lines were trimmed out in various ways.)

Most notably, my signature line here "What a knockabout of pure fun that was" is a completely different take of the "We came, we saw, we kicked its @$$" line.

The "d*ckless" lines were replaced by a thing about "Wally Wick". Zeddemore says he'd seen "stuff that will turn you white". Etc.

Here's a great webpage courtesy of SpookCentral covering the majority of it, complete with clips.

http://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/ ... 9-1989.htm

I personally always thought it was a fantastic idea for them to have gone back and mined the cleaner alternate takes from their talented improvisational cast to create the television version.

Certainly a lot more immersive than hearing an obviously dubbed voice saying a clean line when the lip sync was still the dirty word.

~~~

And, I hate to deflate that one claim, but the "weird things happen" line was in the WIDELY broadcast trailer, so that's not proof that the person who wrote that Retrojunk article saw this alleged alternate cut.

~~~

For what it's worth, I've always believed that the version of GB2 that I saw on VHS was subtly different from the one that I watched twice, back to back, on opening day.

I'd love for some alternate print to finally be unearthed. But until there's hard evidence, I remain skeptical.

Alex
Last edited by Alex Newborn on June 8th, 2017, 8:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
By Winston1986
Alex Newborn wrote:Actually, in the late 80s, ABC television ran Ghostbusters with alternate takes replacing some of the swear lines. (Other lines were trimmed out in various ways.)

Most notably, my signature line here "What a knockabout of pure fun that was" is a completely different take of the "We came, we saw, we kicked its @$$ line.

The "d*ckless" lines were replaced by a thing about "Wally Wick". Zeddemore says he'd seen "stuff that will turn you white". Etc.

Here's a great webpage courtesy of SpookCentral covering the majority of it, complete with clips.

http://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/ ... 9-1989.htm

I personally always thought it was a fantastic idea for them to have gone back and mined the cleaner alternate takes from their talented improvisational cast to create the television version.

Certainly a lot more immersive than hearing an obviously dubbed voice saying a clean line when the lip sync was still the dirty word.

~~~

And, I hate to deflate that one claim, but the "weird things happen" line was in the WIDELY broadcast trailer, so that's not proof that the person who wrote that Retrojunk article saw this alleged alternate cut.

~~~

For what it's worth, I've always believed that the version of GB2 that I saw on VHS was subtly different from the one that I watched twice, back to back, on opening day.

I'd love for some alternate print to finally be unearthed. But until there's hard evidence, I remain skeptical.

Alex
That trailer does indeed have an alternate slime covering the museum scene where the slime doesn't just look like jelly. So the TC might be onto something.
By Kingpin
RichardLess wrote:Does this channel 5 have an HD simulcast? And if so, did you watch this in standard def or HD?
Unlikely at the time the poster says they saw it, and I'm not aware of any standard/HD options with Channel 5. There's a "on-demand" option for watching stuff online, but it's only on there for a short time, and any copies of Ghostbusters II that may've been on it (if the on-demand service was available then) have long-since expired.
By JurorNo.2
Alex Newborn wrote: And, I hate to deflate that one claim, but the "weird things happen" line was in the WIDELY broadcast trailer, so that's not proof that the person who wrote that Retrojunk article saw this alleged alternate cut.
Absolutely, I noticed that too. It's not proof, just a possibility.
Yup, we all have weird moments like that. Ya never know. ;)
By Lee FW
RichardLess wrote:
steff wrote:GB2 isnt the only film i have seen with a different tv edit. Die hard with a vengeance and under seige 2 are to name a couple. Both were shown uncut on tv, when only the cut version was available to purchase. Although i do know that the die hard with a vengeance is now un cut on the bluray version but on both those occasions, the tv version was longer and uncut opposed to the commercially available DVDs so it does happen on a few occasions
Can you just please accept that this did not happen. You are mis remembering. How do I know? You aren't the only GB fan in the UK. This would've been reported on. You did not see a different cut of GB2. You didn't. This has happened time and time again. It's always, I repeat AlWAYS, a wild goose chase. The elements you are referencing have never been married onto a master print. Never. There are only 2 versions of GB2: the theatrical and the TV edit for swear words. That's it. I know after you read this you'll continue to swear you saw the extended cut. But deep down you know. You know it's just your memory being a jerk. Otherwise we would have proof. This is the age of the Internet, these things are easy to find out.
There is no extended cut of GB2! I wish there was, but there isn't. No extended cut has ever aired on television. End of story.
BTW I'm in the UK and 100% I'll back Steff up. I have very vivid memories of seeng GB2 for the first time (and second, third +fourth all within the same day) These shots specifically creeped me out. It was a pirate copy from the cinema (although I don't feel too bad considering how many versions of that movie I've since bought) I'm gonna have to have a look through my Uncles vhs collection (he never gets rid of anything so fingers crossed it may still exist!)
steff, JurorNo.2, Sav C and 1 others liked this
By steff
I had the ghostbusters 1 and ghostbusters 2 (with a batman episode in between for some bizarre reason) vhs and it isnt that one. And thanks for saying that, there is nothing worse than being so 100% sure on something and people not believing you. Hopefully movie cencorship will get back to me with that date, as said early, and i agree, the 'weird things happen' isnt proof but a possibility and i feel in this case, a strong possibility. If i havent herd from movie cencorship by sunday, then i will contact them again
Sav C liked this
By deadderek
steff wrote:.....there is nothing worse than being so 100% sure on something and people not believing you.
Can you honestly NOT understand why though? You're asking people to accept what you're saying based on NO evidence other than your word.

As was pointed out earlier in this thread we've been told about this stuff before, and yet over the YEARS no one has been able to offer up any evidence. No one is trying to be a Walter Pecker, but forgive us as we've been through this before time and time again.

If you're right we'll go to Internet Jail, peacefully, quietly, we'll enjoy it...
By steff
deadderek wrote:
steff wrote:.....there is nothing worse than being so 100% sure on something and people not believing you.
Can you honestly NOT understand why though? You're asking people to accept what you're saying based on NO evidence other than your word.

As was pointed out earlier in this thread we've been told about this stuff before, and yet over the YEARS no one has been able to offer up any evidence. No one is trying to be a Walter Pecker, but forgive us as we've been through this before time and time again.

If you're right we'll go to Internet Jail, peacefully, quietly, we'll enjoy it...
I think this is where your not understanding, as I have said many many times now, I am not asking anyone to accept anything, or convince anyone, I came here to see if anyone else has any idea or a way i could retrieve it the 'help' part in the title is the clue here, as I have said before many times, I'm not here to announce anything, persuade anyone and if you don't believe me then I really don't care! when will you understand, that I don't give 2 sh*ts if you believe me or not? those who have been helpful and constructive I solute and appreciate whole heartedly , but when I decided to try and hunt it down, first stop, a ghostbusters forum....
By Kingpin
steff wrote:I'm not here to announce anything, persuade anyone and if you don't believe me then I really don't care! when will you understand, that I don't give 2 sh*ts if you believe me or not?
-which may not be the best attitude to have when you're looking for people to help you.
steff wrote:but when I decided to try and hunt it down, first stop, a ghostbusters forum....
-which may well be an indication that the version you believe you saw doesn't exist, even factoring in the smaller UK following (and then there's the separate issue of why this would crop up in the UK and not in the US), I'd like to believe if it had been a different version, there'd be a corroborating report on it from back in the day.
deadderek, twmedford23 liked this
By Kingpin
steff wrote:My attitude is fine for anyone who i actually helping, stop turning a simple request into an argument, Will someone please hose him
Oh Steffie, did you back the wrong horse. You'll have to speak to AJ, the forum admin, as he's one of the few people who can "hose" Moderators.
deadderek, RichardLess liked this
By steff
Its comming accross like you are and calling me a liar, at the end of the day, i know what i saw and no amount of 'you imagined it' or 'you're lieing' comments will change that or make any difference to me. have you ever been in a situation where you know your telling the truth but others don't believe you? Its a very frustrating situation that is why im trying to keep it to do with the search and not to do with convincing people but all this is doing now is turning into an argument. If some others have also said the same thing then could they have been talking about seeing the same version?
Im not going to loose sight of what im looking for, so i think the best thing to do is unfollow this now, and if there is anyone who believes me and genuinely does have any ideas,, then please drop me a message. Otherwise were just going round in circles arguing.
By pferreira1983
RichardLess wrote:How do I know? You aren't the only GB fan in the UK. This would've been reported on.
Actually you're wrong here. As a fan of GB in the UK I don't keep track of every airing of the movie on TV simply because like everyone else I have the complete blu-ray or DVD version. Most likely the TV version will be cut or edited so i generally don't think UK fans are going to watch Ghostbusters II every time it comes on TV when any serious fan will watch their blu-ray instead as it's free of TV requirements. Don't be quick to judge.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Btw, here is movie censorship's page for GB84 if anyone's curious. Sheesh, in the US we just bleep curses out, or sometimes have alternate dubs. But the UK it seems just downright removes lines entirely, lol.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=815275
Yeah the UK edits had some very bad editing involved.
steff wrote:Its comming accross like you are and calling me a liar, at the end of the day, i know what i saw and no amount of 'you imagined it' or 'you're lieing' comments will change that or make any difference to me. have you ever been in a situation where you know your telling the truth but others don't believe you? Its a very frustrating situation that is why im trying to keep it to do with the search and not to do with convincing people but all this is doing now is turning into an argument. If some others have also said the same thing then could they have been talking about seeing the same version?
Could be the Mandela Effect? :-D
Kingpin wrote:-which may well be an indication that the version you believe you saw doesn't exist, even factoring in the smaller UK following (and then there's the separate issue of why this would crop up in the UK and not in the US), I'd like to believe if it had been a different version, there'd be a corroborating report on it from back in the day.
ITV once showed The Sound of Music with a sing-along subtitle track. It was reported on at the time but since it was only shown once not many probably remember it. Just putting that out there Kingpin.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By RichardLess
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

pferreira1983 wrote:
RichardLess wrote:How do I know? You aren't the only GB fan in the UK. This would've been reported on.
Actually you're wrong here. As a fan of GB in the UK I don't keep track of every airing of the movie on TV simply because like everyone else I have the complete blu-ray or DVD version. Most likely the TV version will be cut or edited so i generally don't think UK fans are going to watch Ghostbusters II every time it comes on TV when any serious fan will watch their blu-ray instead as it's free of TV requirements. Don't be quick to judge.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Btw, here is movie censorship's page for GB84 if anyone's curious. Sheesh, in the US we just bleep curses out, or sometimes have alternate dubs. But the UK it seems just downright removes lines entirely, lol.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=815275
Yeah the UK edits had some very bad editing involved.
steff wrote:Its comming accross like you are and calling me a liar, at the end of the day, i know what i saw and no amount of 'you imagined it' or 'you're lieing' comments will change that or make any difference to me. have you ever been in a situation where you know your telling the truth but others don't believe you? Its a very frustrating situation that is why im trying to keep it to do with the search and not to do with convincing people but all this is doing now is turning into an argument. If some others have also said the same thing then could they have been talking about seeing the same version?
Could be the Mandela Effect? :-D
Kingpin wrote:-which may well be an indication that the version you believe you saw doesn't exist, even factoring in the smaller UK following (and then there's the separate issue of why this would crop up in the UK and not in the US), I'd like to believe if it had been a different version, there'd be a corroborating report on it from back in the day.
ITV once showed The Sound of Music with a sing-along subtitle track. It was reported on at the time but since it was only shown once not many probably remember it. Just putting that out there Kingpin.
Don't be so quick to judge? When there is literally zero evidence to back up a claim that we have seen many, many times before, I think it's safe to assume this didn't happen. Perhaps if GB2 was a UK production, or at the very least shot in the UK, I could *maybe* buy into this. That's not the case. As for other people reporting on seeing this, I have a recent example that may be relevant. A new "editors cut" of Spider-Man 3 appeared on Amazon.com for streaming. It was only up for a matter of hours before it was removed and yet we have quite a few sources of those who watched it. Same thing would happen with a new GB2 cut. With Twitter, Facebook and all the message boards that exist, we would have more than 1 person commenting on it(years after the fact by the way). You may not watch GB when it's on TV but there are millions of other people living in the country who might.
By RichardLess
I think it's important to note how TV channels receive their content: a TV channel can't simply run any movie they wish. They need to license the film, this is done through a regional distributior(which is how sometimes we end up with different versions of movies airing in different countries; like the 3 hour Salkind cut of Superman The Movie). Sometimes regional distributor's vary from country to country(for instance on the movie Titanic, Paramount Pictures had North American distribution and 20th Century Fox had Worldwide). With Ghostbusters? It's just Sony. So the version of GB in Canada is the same version in Cairo(lest some local trimming occurs). Some movies have different titles in different countries(example Live Free or Die Hard was called Die Hard 4.0 in Europe).
So if channel number 5 in the UK wants to show a movie from Sony, they have to contact Sony and work out a deal. Sony has two versions of GB2 for license: edited for content and unedited. However, Historically speaking Hollywood and the U.K. have had an interesting relationship when it comes to different versions of movies being released via censorship. For example when I watched the 1990 live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie as a kid in Canada I got the regular version. In the UK the censorship entity was pretty darn strict at the time. So A) the title was changed and B) quite a bit of fighting/ weapon use footage was cut out in order to obtain a kid friendly rating. This happened quite frequently in the U.K during the '80s and '90s. So when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was released on DVD or blu Ray in the UK, it was different from the movie you grew up watching on VHS and at the cinema. It was uncut. This could be what's happening with GB2. I'm not sure if the censorship entity in the UK cut down GB2 or not, maybe someone like Kingpin can answer that question. However if memory serves movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom, Goonies and maybe even the original GB film were cut up by the English censorship bureau. Again, perhaps Kingpin can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

If anyone wants to do some detective work to see if Steff's claim can be verified, I would suggest searching Twitter from posts concerning GB2. It's bound to come up if this really happened. Also? Contact Sony, Ghostcorp(on Facebook) or channel 5.
Sav C liked this
By Kingpin
Years ago I had a VHS copy of Ghostbusters II recorded off of a television broadcast, I can't say I recall any edits made to the film itself (even the "sometimes shit happens" line remained unchanged in the copy I had), though I think the end credits may've been trimmed so that they ended once the closing shot of New York faded to black.

Likewise my VHS copy of Ghostbusters was similarly unchanged, though I do recall that broadcasts of Raiders of the Lost Ark for a while removed the face-melting scene.

However, in my VHS copy of Back to the Future, most of the swearing was edited out, or replaced with alternate noises/dialogue (I strongly remember "when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour, we're going to see some serious shit!", " "bastards", "take that you mutated son of a bitch!, "you space bastard!" "I'm gonna get that son of a bitch!", as well as the scene where Doc gets shot, being trimmed down).

I think TV (and cinematic) censorship and editing were stricter in the UK in the 1980s and 1990s than they are now, though things were even stricter in the 1970s/early 80s when morality police like Mary Whitehouse were constantly raising a stink.

Traditionally films with more mature content were shown after the 9:00pm watershed, though even that wasn't a barrier to them still being edited (my brothers do recall watching versions of Die Hard and Aliens with substituted lines for some of the ruder dialogue). These days those films are mostly unedited, though now that we have digital freeview channels, it's not uncommon to have what may have once been a post-watershed film shown in the afternoon on a weekend, though often with edits made to remove the inappropriate content (and conversely, it's now common for these daytime edited versions to still be shown in the evening).
Sav C liked this
By RichardLess
Kingpin wrote:Years ago I had a VHS copy of Ghostbusters II recorded off of a television broadcast, I can't say I recall any edits made to the film itself (even the "sometimes shit happens" line remained unchanged in the copy I had), though I think the end credits may've been trimmed so that they ended once the closing shot of New York faded to black.

Likewise my VHS copy of Ghostbusters was similarly unchanged, though I do recall that broadcasts of Raiders of the Lost Ark for a while removed the face-melting scene.

However, in my VHS copy of Back to the Future, most of the swearing was edited out, or replaced with alternate noises/dialogue (I strongly remember "when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour, we're going to see some serious shit!", " "bastards", "take that you mutated son of a bitch!, "you space bastard!" "I'm gonna get that son of a bitch!", as well as the scene where Doc gets shot, being trimmed down).

I think TV (and cinematic) censorship and editing were stricter in the UK in the 1980s and 1990s than they are now, though things were even stricter in the 1970s/early 80s when morality police like Mary Whitehouse were constantly raising a stink.

Traditionally films with more mature content were shown after the 9:00pm watershed, though even that wasn't a barrier to them still being edited (my brothers do recall watching versions of Die Hard and Aliens with substituted lines for some of the ruder dialogue). These days those films are mostly unedited, though now that we have digital freeview channels, it's not uncommon to have what may have once been a post-watershed film shown in the afternoon on a weekend, though often with edits made to remove the inappropriate content (and conversely, it's now common for these daytime edited versions to still be shown in the evening).
It's funny, as a kid I had GB1, GB2 and Beetlejuice on the same VHS tape. However whoever did the recording skipped the credits so right after Winston says "I love this town!" GB 2 started with the slime rising out of the street. When Venkman says "No I believe it was one of the fettuccine's" it cut to the opening Beetlejuice music/credits. It wasn't until the 1999 VHS/DVD release came around that I finally had both copies on seperate VHS tapes. I still remember popping in the GB2 tape and seeing the title card "5 years later" for the first time! My old coped skipped it! Then the whole end credits montage? My mind was blown. I had gone 10 whole years without seeing anyone of those end credit moments.
I swear to this day, whenever I watch GB2 and I hear Peter say "No I believe it was one of the fettuccine's" I expect to hear Danny Elfman's Beetlejuice theme right after. It's like a Pavlovian response.
By JurorNo.2
RichardLess wrote:It's funny, as a kid I had GB1, GB2 and Beetlejuice on the same VHS tape. However whoever did the recording skipped the credits so right after Winston says "I love this town!" GB 2 started with the slime rising out of the street. When Venkman says "No I believe it was one of the fettuccine's" it cut to the opening Beetlejuice music/credits. It wasn't until the 1999 VHS/DVD release came around that I finally had both copies on seperate VHS tapes. I still remember popping in the GB2 tape and seeing the title card "5 years later" for the first time! My old coped skipped it! Then the whole end credits montage? My mind was blown. I had gone 10 whole years without seeing anyone of those end credit moments.
I swear to this day, whenever I watch GB2 and I hear Peter say "No I believe it was one of the fettuccine's" I expect to hear Danny Elfman's Beetlejuice theme right after. It's like a Pavlovian response.
Lol, I love those old memories of weird VHS recordings. I'm 90% sure I only had the last half of GB84 on VHS for a long time. I was very familiar with GBII, and also the ending of GB84, but I remember seeing GB84 Janine later on and being really surprised with how she looked, I didn't even think it was the same actress, lol.
Sav C liked this
Proton Props UK

That's strange, he gave me an entirely different r[…]

For anyone interested in seeing some of the orig[…]

Did anyone watch it?

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]