Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
Hi,

I was in Gatlinburg, TN last weekend and visited the Hollywood Star Cars museum. It was awesome to sit inside of it - its amazing how big an Ectomobile really is!

While most cars in the museum cited where they were from (like a T2 motorcycle used during filming, same with a yellow pickup truck from Twister), I didn't notice any such citation for the Ecto.

Does anyone know the origin of the Ecto-1 in Gatlinburg, TN?

Thanks.
I saw the car back in March of 2007. The sign said it was a Barris Kustom Collection piece. I remember being led to believe that it was one of the actual Ecto's and was pretty ticked when I started searching online later only to find it was a replica and that George Barris was trying to pass it off as a real one and take credit for the design of the original. I think there are threads on this forum about that from back then. Of course, I'm just assuming that the same exact care is there 10 years later but seems like a pretty safe assumption to me.
Their website, http://www.starcarstn.com/index.html, says this: "A tour through the Hollywood Star Cars Museum is a trip through some of the most famous movies and TV shows of the last 50 years. We feature the best Hollywood movie & TV cars in recreated settings displayed with sound, lights, and action! Many of the cars are the creations of George Barris, who has created more famous Hollywood movie & TV cars than anyone. The most Famous being the 1966 TV Show Batmobile"
Thanks all. I did assume it was not the movie car since I know those had some sad histories (is Ecto 1A still trash??). But, I have to tell you, even if a custom job, its pretty cool to sit inside of it and to really see how large of a vehicle it is.

Also, the inside ceiling was signed by the four original GB actors. I'm hoping they're legit.
below_radar_00 wrote:Their website, http://www.starcarstn.com/index.html, says this:
A tour through the Hollywood Star Cars Museum is a trip through some of the most famous movies and TV shows of the last 50 years. We feature the best Hollywood movie & TV cars in recreated settings displayed with sound, lights, and action! Many of the cars are claimed to be the creations of professional liar George Barris, who purports to have created more famous Hollywood movie & TV cars than anyone. The most Famous being the 1966 TV Show Batmobile"
I've updated their statement to be a bit more reflective of reality. :)
Marcus B liked this
Kingpin wrote:
below_radar_00 wrote:Their website, http://www.starcarstn.com/index.html, says this:
I've updated their statement to be a bit more reflective of reality. :)
@Kingpin: Hahaha!

And I agree Darth. I loved seeing that car up close and personal and sitting inside of it. I was pretty upset to learn later that it was a replica but only because I was led to believe it was one of the real movie cars. I would have still paid to see a replica because it's still awesome but I didn't like how it was passed to be the real one. Would I go see it again? Absolutely!
By Marcus B
I have some photos of this car I took in 2014:

The car has a large scratch on the door unfortunately, which I repaired in Photoshop for the picture. Despite a lot (all?) of the vehicles there not actually being screen used or anything, it's still a nice display. Once I found out they had an Ecto, I had to go. Closest I've been to the real deal.

I'm no expert on Ecto 1, but I think it looks good. Too bad about the scratch, though. They really should get that fixed and replace the license plate with the correct one.

Here is an article where it is mentioned: http://www.recordonline.com/article/201 ... /151009992

"His second was a 1959 Cadillac Hearst/Ambulance combo, an exact replica from the movie, that was later bought by none other than George Barris. “I kick myself every day for selling that car,” Mosen said. “I put my heart and soul into it. Maybe he will leave it to me in his will.” The car now sits at the Stars Cars Museum in Tennessee."

I will say, though, the museum's BTTF Time Machine DeLorean is the saddest thing I've ever seen. Looks like someone decorated it with parts from the dollar store.

Edit:

Here's a picture showing the scratch

Matty PKE Question...URGENT

Depending on the price, it might be worth snatchin[…]

I have a full sized spirit pack, and I have the gh[…]

If you need any clarification at all, PM me or […]

Proton Props UK

Good decision to lift the ban! By the way: I think[…]