Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By Seth Rex
I'm curious. I know that Ghostbusters is a comedy. But I wonder...Would any of you guys be willing to accept a film that was actually more serious, somewhat more tuned to the horror/action side? I mean, we are dealing with ghosts and other supernatural elements here.
By philmorgan81
Yeah I am pretty sure many would accept a more serious tone. Extreme Ghostbusters had a much darker tone and had a bit less comedy in it. Definately much darker than it's predecessor.

This has been brought up a lot before and it is one of the things that makes Ghostbusters so special. Sure it is catagorized as a comedy, but it has some very good horror elements in it. I think that is something that made the film pretty unique in the time it came out. You go through the film and you believe the logic and rules that the movie sets up and as a result when something scary happens it gets a genuine reaction from the audience.

Now there is Absolutly no doubt that The Reboot is 100% a comedy. There is not a single moment in that film where you take the situation seriously. The movie is one punchline after another. So I am pretty sure that many would embrace a darker tone to Ghostbusters. I just wouldn't do away with the comedy all together that's what regular horror movies are for. What makes Ghostbusters work is the fine balance between comedy and horror. :):):)
*NormalGamer* liked this
By *NormalGamer*
philmorgan81 wrote:Yeah I am pretty sure many would accept a more serious tone. Extreme Ghostbusters had a much darker tone and had a bit less comedy in it. Definately much darker than it's predecessor.

This has been brought up a lot before and it is one of the things that makes Ghostbusters so special. Sure it is catagorized as a comedy, but it has some very good horror elements in it. I think that is something that made the film pretty unique in the time it came out. You go through the film and you believe the logic and rules that the movie sets up and as a result when something scary happens it gets a genuine reaction from the audience.

Now there is Absolutly no doubt that The Reboot is 100% a comedy. There is not a single moment in that film where you take the situation seriously. The movie is one punchline after another. So I am pretty sure that many would embrace a darker tone to Ghostbusters. I just wouldn't do away with the comedy all together that's what regular horror movies are for. What makes Ghostbusters work is the fine balance between comedy and horror.:):):)
@ *referring to bold*

Exactly. That's part of the formula that makes sense for Ghostbusters; that type of balance works well for it.
By Esbe77
I'm writing a script for a fan film that has a bit less comedy elements in it (mostly because comedy isn't my forte AT ALL), but having a table read with the cast in a few months will let us know if we should add comedic moments or not, but I get the feeling there should be.

Ghostbusters has to have the right balance of horror/comedy injected into it, I feel. You can do many things with comedy and horror blended. And so this allows for the the doors to open up a lot more than with only one of the ingredients in the mix.

But if I may diverge from the topic ever so slightly, here's food for thought:

Ghostbusters (the first one) had MANY politically incorrect topics in it, which recently made me think of other movies that pushed the envelope such as Zombieland, Deadpool and more.

For my tastes, if they want to keep fresh, they probably would need to keep the comedy in, and not be afraid to have the film R-rated if this sort of thing "can't" be done anymore.
By Kingpin
Seth Rex wrote:I'm curious. I know that Ghostbusters is a comedy. But I wonder...Would any of you guys be willing to accept a film that was actually more serious, somewhat more tuned to the horror/action side? I mean, we are dealing with ghosts and other supernatural elements here.
I think Netflix's Spectral was supposed to fill that niche, whether it succeeds in that pursuit is open to consideration, post-viewing.

Personally speaking, "special forces" films are kinda a dime-a-dozen these days, and so I'm happier with things like Ghostbusters being more comedy-orientated.
By Seth Rex
Okay, thanks for replying. I definitely wouldn't remove comedy alltogether. Just...make it more serious and a bit scary. That's all.

Using rip-stop cotton and custom dye for each char[…]

The journey from commonplace to Ecto-75.

Whole car is great but the pack trolly...how?

Proton Props???

If anyone here is still pondering ordering from th[…]

I haven't done the new update to the Spirits Unlea[…]