Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By RichardLess
Ok. We all know Ghostbusters has a ton of cool pieces of equipment, right? Everything from the proton pack itself to the trap, the PKE meter, Giga metre, Ecto 1, slime blower etc. So what's your favourite piece of equipment from any GB source and why? Also which version is your favourite? I imagine most will pick the proton pack. Cool. That's my pick, but what version? Ghostbusters '84? Extreme Ghostbusters? GB2014, Real Ghostbusters etc.

For me, I've always loved the way the proton pack looks in Real Ghostbusters. But I gotta go with the OGB, the original Ghostbusters proton pack. One of the greatest weapons in cinematic history, right next to the lightsaber. When you think about how lame the GB's could've looked(especially as described in the script--yikes!) they really nailed it. It's completely believable. You buy that this thing could work. Then there's the sound effects. That "on" noise? Oh my. Then the coup de gras? The proton stream sound effect itself. Beautiful. Note perfect.

So! Pick anything you want. From the video games, cartoons, comic books. Obscure reference welcome!
By Sav C
I myself am partial to those little plastic cups they used to collect the slime in the library... Kidding! I think my favorite piece of equipment has to be... Oh man, this is hard... ...probably the first movie's proton packs, but it's so tough to choose! Maybe the Ecto 1? Too much awesomeness to choose from! I'll ponder it today and get back to you later.
By Sav C
I think I'm going to stick with the proton pack from the first movie, however it could very well be the Ecto-1. The only reason it isn't is because the Ecto-1 is arguably less integral to the busting of ghosts that the proton packs are.
Alex Newborn wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 2:21 pm
Sav C wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 9:20 am those little plastic cups they used to collect the slime in the library...
Also known as Petri dishes.

Alex
Yeah, them. I also like the warped glass encased in a hard shell that converted light into electrical surges that were then encoded using a separate yet connected recording box onto a magnetic strip that ran between two wheels within its own smaller plastic case that Ray was carrying around in the library. :)
Sav C wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 11:20 pm I think I'm going to stick with the proton pack from the first movie, however it could very well be the Ecto-1. The only reason it isn't is because the Ecto-1 is arguably less integral to the busting of ghosts that the proton packs are.
Alex Newborn wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 2:21 pm

Also known as Petri dishes.

Alex
Yeah, them. I also like the warped glass encased in a hard shell that converted light into electrical surges that were then encoded using a separate yet connected recording box onto a magnetic strip that ran between two wheels within its own smaller plastic case that Ray was carrying around in the library. :)
Also know as a Blortfinkler.

Or camera. Always getting my Martian and English doopulated. Err. Sorry. "Confused"
Sav C liked this
Sav C wrote: I also like the warped glass encased in a hard shell that converted light into electrical surges that were then encoded using a separate yet connected recording box onto a magnetic strip that ran between two wheels within its own smaller plastic case that Ray was carrying around in the library. :)
The Panasonic PK-750 and Quasar VH5300SE.

I like those very much also.

...................................His........................................................................................... Mine.................................................

Alex
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
Alex Newborn wrote: April 24th, 2018, 1:20 pm The Panasonic PK-750 and Quasar VH5300SE.

...................................His........................................................................................... Mine.................................................

Alex
Wow, cool! You've also got the coat--nice touch! Assuming you could find a blank VHS, does the camera/recorder still work?
Last edited by Sav C on April 24th, 2018, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Newborn wrote: April 24th, 2018, 1:20 pm
Sav C wrote: I also like the warped glass encased in a hard shell that converted light into electrical surges that were then encoded using a separate yet connected recording box onto a magnetic strip that ran between two wheels within its own smaller plastic case that Ray was carrying around in the library. :)
The Panasonic PK-750 and Quasar VH5300SE.

Alex
Jesus Christ. I thought I was a GB fan. You even have the same sweater on! That's amazing. So does that other thing just record audio? What's the deal?
Ok here's a question for you die hard GB fans. I wish I had a picture but alas I do not. You know the scene with the Dean, where he kicks the GB's out of university and they confiscate the equipment? What is that Orange terminal thingy that the guy listening to music wheels out? You know what I'm talking about? It's on wheels and looks like it had buttons and stuff on it. What the heck is that thing? I've always wondered.
RichardLess wrote: April 24th, 2018, 9:01 pmSo does that other thing just record audio? What's the deal?
No, it records video-and-sound onto VHS tape. The camera itself is just a lens, it doesn't have any internal mechanism for recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN2vtw2tzAQ
Sav C wrote: April 24th, 2018, 4:07 pmAssuming you could find a blank VHS, does the camera/recorder still work?
I did test the Panasonic camera when I first got it many years ago. It came with an additional power unit that would plug into a wall socket, so I plugged everything together to see if the camera would power up, and it did. I recall the(b/w?) image through the viewfinder being a little blurry, a little fisheye, and a little on the blue end of the spectrum.

I haven't yet tested the Quasar recording unit to see if the tuner (see above video) can power it, or attempted to charge its battery.

But as for a VHS tape... tee hee...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld5JKtMdJQ4

Alex
Sav C liked this
That's pretty neat!
I found an old (but not as old) Panasonic camera that also needs a recorder attached. Camera with power brick and cables, for $10
Cool thing is it still works, although not as cool as your setup, I recorded video straight to my PC! :)

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]