Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Kingpin
There's a greater likihood it may be some sneak-peak concept art or storyboarding... Nothing that reveals the story of the film in any way... But stuff that either we already kinda know, or relating to the teaser trailer (such as a some more of the B-material as they were filming it and setting it up)
Davideverona, Sav C, back and 1 others liked this
By Davideverona
Jason knows that he has the Holy Grail in his hands. He knows this is a movie with 30 years of expectations.

This slow reveal (or the lack of revelations) to build up the hype is almost better than revealing everything on the first announcement and then nothing for months.

I am very pleased by how Jason is handling it.

The other face of the medal?

This is it.

No more guessing, no more theories. This is how the Ghostbusters are going to be officially depicted in their old age.

If Jason decides that Ray has become a monkey voiced by Aykroyd, this is how Ray is now.

If he decides that the Ghostbusters all died in 2002, we've been 17 years without Ghostbusters.
Sav C, RichRyan1507 liked this
By Sav C
That place sounds great! When can I move in? My place has fire and brimstone falling down from the sky, and the rivers and seas around here boil! And don't get me started on the earthquakes and volcanoes.

This ComicCon or Fan Fest or both is gonna be so big! I can't wait to see what news could break!
Alphagaia liked this
By Slimered
Muwarrior21 wrote: May 26th, 2019, 8:30 pm Still a bit concerned how they will get a group of teens as the real gbs
That won't happen. It'll be the original Ghostbusters on one last mission before handing over to the new generation.
By philmorgan81
Slimered wrote: May 27th, 2019, 4:25 pm
Muwarrior21 wrote: May 26th, 2019, 8:30 pm Still a bit concerned how they will get a group of teens as the real gbs
That won't happen. It'll be the original Ghostbusters on one last mission before handing over to the new generation.
It is my highest hope that this is accurate, but nothing is certain. I have serious doubts about the teenagers being the new team, but I have no idea what kind of new equipment will be introduced in this film if any. Murray was really the only wild card and with him speaking so positive about returning if asked, I am certain the 3 remaining will be suiting up again. The real question is will they be suiting up with the new crop or are the 3 originals going to be the main focus going on one last case? Most likely the first one, but no matter what I still keep getting these positive vibes about this project. :):):)
Last edited by philmorgan81 on May 27th, 2019, 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By robbritton
philmorgan81 wrote: May 27th, 2019, 8:36 pm

It is my highest hope that this is accurate, but nothing is certain. I have serious doubts about the teenagers being the new team, but I have no idea what kind of new equipment will be introduced in this film if any. Murray was really the only wild card and with him speaking so positive about returning if asked, I am certain the 3 remaining will be suiting up again. The real question is will they be suiting up with the new crop or are the 3 originals going to be the main focus going on one last case? Most likely the first one, but no matter what I still keep getting these positive vibes about this project. :):):)
It's just as likely there have been at least two teams since the original in the movie universe. until we see a trailer and a full cast and crew, anything is possible! It's exciting!
Sav C liked this
By Slimered
philmorgan81 wrote: May 27th, 2019, 8:36 pm

I reckon one last case, with them coming to the realisation that it's time to move on.
By philmorgan81
Also again I am hoping that the threat in the film is an end of the world level baddy. That is one question I forgot I still had in addition to the 2 I talked about earlier. So with a very good probability of a reunion with 3 remaining Ghostbusters. With this movie being filmed on what Aykroyd says is a modest budget in comparison to the Reboot, could we still see a major threat in this movie? :):):)
By Alphagaia
I reckon the OGB have long stopped being GB and because a new team is super busy working to stop some big threat in NY or something, the OGB spring back in action as this call is personal in some way.

Could be related to that big threat in some way, and even be the cause of it. A lower budget might mean less special effects, but there are lots of ways to create a threat or cheapen the cost by using a more human threat or using just a few puppet for instance.
Sav C liked this
By 80sguy
Alphagaia wrote: May 29th, 2019, 1:53 am Also, regarding budget, let's not forget Vigo, Rowan and Gozer were just played by humans in a simple costume.
Vigo still had some special effects used in his scenes. Most of his appearance was a floating head and even when he's full body he still had some slow motion effects applied. Very minor though.
Sav C liked this
By Kingpin
Alphagaia wrote: May 29th, 2019, 1:53 am Also, regarding budget, let's not forget Vigo, Rowan and Gozer were just played by humans in a simple costume.
Though when we start looking in detail, what savings may've been made by casting humans to play the respective antagonists in the three past movies have kinda been offset by the visual and effects elements used to make those villains supernatural:

•After being played by Slavitza Jovan, Gozer then materialised as Stay Puft, neccesitating the production of at least one suit, several heads with animation features, a large scale model of Central Park West and Central Park for visual shots, and effects compositing into live-action sequences.

•As noted above, Vigo's appearance was predominantly through visual effects sequences whilst he was trapped in his painting, and then there were the prosthetics elements for his transformation (thought these were worn by Dan Aykroyd rather than Wilhelm Von Homburg.

•While a good portion of Rowan's appearance was in human, or possessed human form, the effects-heavy destructor sequence would work against what savings were made by having Neil Casey, Melissa McCarthy and Chris Hemsworth filling the role.
philmorgan81, RichRyan1507, Alphagaia and 1 others liked this
By philmorgan81
Alphagaia wrote: May 28th, 2019, 11:42 pm I reckon the OGB have long stopped being GB and because a new team is super busy working to stop some big threat in NY or something, the OGB spring back in action as this call is personal in some way.

Could be related to that big threat in some way, and even be the cause of it. A lower budget might mean less special effects, but there are lots of ways to create a threat or cheapen the cost by using a more human threat or using just a few puppet for instance.
Awesome that would work very well with that kind of narrative.
Alphagaia wrote:Also, regarding budget, let's not forget Vigo, Rowan and Gozer were just played by humans in a simple costume.
Very good point if the threat is in human form or IS human the majority of the movie that could cut on some major costs. I really should keep in mind that both Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2 were story driven with implied Ghostbusting, but very little actually shown. If it keeps to that classic formula this has a shot at being a great movie not to mention a wonderful addition to the films that came before.
Davideverona wrote:I have the feeling that we'll see a Stranger Things-ish kind of threat.

Something that starts small, little scares here and there and then it starts to escalate.

You know with all these great answers to my question my excitement for the movie continues to rise. Thanks guys. I can now see a world ending threat working in so many ways especially if most of the major effects are reserved for the final act. :):):)
Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
By robbritton
Kingpin wrote: May 29th, 2019, 10:14 am
Though when we start looking in detail, what savings may've been made by casting humans to play the respective antagonists in the three past movies have kinda been offset by the visual and effects elements used to make those villains supernatural:

•After being played by Slavitza Jovan, Gozer then materialised as Stay Puft, neccesitating the production of at least one suit, several heads with animation features, a large scale model of Central Park West and Central Park for visual shots, and effects compositing into live-action sequences.

•As noted above, Vigo's appearance was predominantly through visual effects sequences whilst he was trapped in his painting, and then there were the prosthetics elements for his transformation (thought these were worn by Dan Aykroyd rather than Wilhelm Von Homburg.

•While a good portion of Rowan's appearance was in human, or possessed human form, the effects-heavy destructor sequence would work against what savings were made by having Neil Casey, Melissa McCarthy and Chris Hemsworth filling the role.
Not forgetting how much money was wasted on the ‘living painting’ Vigo effect that was never ultimately used!
Kingpin, back liked this
By Coover5
deadderek wrote: May 29th, 2019, 1:05 am In a lil over a week hopefully Fan Fest busts out the major secrets. *fingers crossed*
I've built up fan fest in my mind to be this explosion of GB20 information but I know there's a real chance they don't say anything so I'm trying to prepare myself for disappointment. Honestly, I think this whole thing for me is going to be about controlling my disappointment. There's no way this is going to be as epic as it was for me as a kid. Dressing in my Kenner pack. Checking for the toys at K-Mart. Everyone dancing to the GB2 soundtrack at the neighborhood block party years after it came out. But having you guys around is definitely helping.

It thrills me and hurts me that it won't be the original neighborhood kids I played with who will be out in the streets playing Ghostbusters 3 but the kids of those kids. My god, how time goes by!
robbritton, lozbloke liked this
By Davideverona
Well, Jason himself said that he'll talk about the new movie, so I think that we'll know something more. Maybe not the exact plot, but how the idea came to be, why he decided to do it...and maybe a little casting info.
Sav C liked this
By Slimered
Davideverona wrote: May 29th, 2019, 3:23 pm Well, Jason himself said that he'll talk about the new movie, so I think that we'll know something more. Maybe not the exact plot, but how the idea came to be, why he decided to do it...and maybe a little casting info.
I'm hoping we get a general idea about the plot. It would be nice to be given a logline or a subtitle.
Sav C, robbritton liked this
By Coover5
Ectojeff88 wrote: May 29th, 2019, 3:18 pm I just can’t wait to see the new Ecto, now that we know it will be the ‘59 Caddy we all love!
I wouldn't be surprised if the fan fest attendees got to see the "new" Ecto in person
By Kingpin
Coover5 wrote: May 29th, 2019, 5:17 pmI wouldn't be surprised if the fan fest attendees got to see the "new" Ecto in person
I'm not sure I see the appeal myself... I mean, it'd be a version of the car made up to look run down, you'd almost be getting the theme park version of visiting Ecto-1 when the it was rotting away on the Sony backlot.

Though in truth, the work dirtying down the new "old" Ecto-1 may not be finished, or even fully started yet.
Sav C liked this
By Ectojeff88
If that guy’s posting on Facebook awhile back is 100% truth from what he was told by Sony, the Ecto-1A will be partially restored, while the 59 Futura he sold will be the new Ecto for the film. I can’t wait!

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]