Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By SpaceBallz
Twitter strikes again. Apparently, Jason Reitman said "I'm giving the ghostbusters back to the fans." During a Bill Burr podcast. All hell broke loose and news outlets are running with it. I hope this doesn't effect GB3, but I can see some OG cast members keeping away from it now (I'm not expecting Sigourney Weaver or Bill Murray to come back). Social media is tearing this franchise apart.
By Alphagaia
If there is anything I learned from the build up toward ATC is that you just have to ignore a lot of people on social media. There will always be some dickwad having issues, warping some context and internet is an easy podium for it to spread.
Sav C liked this
By Alphagaia
Well, he just responded:
Wo, that came out wrong! I have nothing but admiration for Paul and Leslie and Kate and Melissa and Kristen and the bravery with which they made Ghostbusters 2016. They expanded the universe and made an amazing movie!
and now people for the movie are attacking him for making a apologie, while the other side sees it as an admission he was in the wrong ...

Whatever you say, you won't win this war, Jason. We have seen that already with Feig.

Listening back to the audio, he indeed says he wants to make a movie for his fellow ghostbusterfans, but meaning he wants to create as much possible ties to the original first movie. Doesn't mean ATC was crap, but ATC was more of it's own thing. Either movie isn't made to replace the other. It just makes sense to do a sequel now.

Yes, Social media sucks.
Sav C liked this
By Davideverona
SpaceBallz wrote: February 21st, 2019, 2:01 am Twitter strikes again. Apparently, Jason Reitman said "I'm giving the ghostbusters back to the fans." During a Bill Burr podcast. All hell broke loose and news outlets are running with it. I hope this doesn't effect GB3, but I can see some OG cast members keeping away from it now (I'm not expecting Sigourney Weaver or Bill Murray to come back). Social media is tearing this franchise apart.
I think a money shower will make Murray wilking to sign on. Now he doesn't have any responsibility towards the franchise.
By BatDan
Alphagaia wrote: February 21st, 2019, 5:37 am Ugh, this awfull article is just baiting people to get angry at the new movie. It's 2016 all over again! Don't believe this crap!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/g ... oBlRd_kHTE
Dude, I'll admit I was pretty outspoken about my distaste for the reboot, but my complaints were mostly centered around 'corporate manhandling' ... that was at least SOMETHING to go off of. These people are just reaching to find something to get offended by.

REAL LIFE:
Jason walks into a starbucks, orders a coffee and says 'thank you" and casually walks away sipping his java.

HEADLINE:
JASON REITMAN'S RUDE COMMENTS CAUSE STIR UP AT LOCAL STARBUCKS!
Alphagaia, RichRyan1507, SpaceBallz and 3 others liked this
By Kingpin
Davideverona wrote: February 21st, 2019, 1:17 amYou CAN.
He can't, and probably shouldn't have even said what he's already said.
Davideverona wrote: February 21st, 2019, 1:20 amCalgary skyline
Very nice... I guess?
SpaceBallz wrote: February 21st, 2019, 2:01 am Twitter strikes again. Apparently, Jason Reitman said "I'm giving the ghostbusters back to the fans." During a Bill Burr podcast. All hell broke loose and news outlets are running with it. I hope this doesn't effect GB3, but I can see some OG cast members keeping away from it now (I'm not expecting Sigourney Weaver or Bill Murray to come back). Social media is tearing this franchise apart.
For the love of... We as a community and fans individually here need to learn not to get constantly swept up in every. Little. Bit. Of. Drama.

Some news outlets are running with it, probably some that are desperate for clicks and will run any suggestion of controversy to drive up their traffic.

I'm gonna bet dollars to donuts Jason's interview on Bill Burr won't change a thing with the new movie.

There is NO reason to speculate that the interview is suddenly going to cause original actresses/actors to suddenly not appear in 2020. If Bill and Sigourney aren't going to appear, it likely was always going to be that case.
Alphagaia, BatDan, RichRyan1507 and 5 others liked this
By Dr.D
Classiest move I've seen in a long time. I have no beef with Feig. Honestly, he seems okay. Maybe a bit eccentric sure but AREN'T WE ALL? But in all seriousness, Feig is a capable comedy director suited towards a certain type of film. I like Bridesmaids because it's the sort of real(ish) life comedy where improv and stream of consciousness comedy works very well. Hell, Feig co-created Freaks and Geeks which I will always hold close to my heart.

Feig stepping in tells me two things. One, as most of us knew, that quote from Reitman was horribly taken out of context. I wonder how many people listened to the actual Bill Burr interview who write articles about it. It was actually fairly innocuous. Two? Sony is keen to avoid the kind of press they were reveling in during GB16 marketing blitz. Remember, the former head of Sony was literally quoted as being all in favor of all the angry fervor about the movie. But at the end of the day they realized making the choice to go see a silly comedy movie about ghosts a political statement was a bad idea.

It's a movie. It's just a movie. 84 still exists, 16 still exists.
By *NormalGamer*
Kingpin wrote: February 21st, 2019, 6:02 am
For the love of... We as a community and fans individually here need to learn not to get constantly swept up in every. Little. Bit. Of. Drama.

Some news outlets are running with it, probably some that are desperate for clicks and will run any suggestion of controversy to drive up their traffic.

I'm gonna bet dollars to donuts Jason's interview on Bill Burr won't change a thing with the new movie.

There is NO reason to speculate that the interview is suddenly going to cause original actresses/actors to suddenly not appear in 2020. If Bill and Sigourney aren't going to appear, it likely was always going to be that case.
Social media can be very ugly, sometimes; to me, I always use discernment about these things. This is 'not' how I want to see GB community become on social media.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By ghostJAR
The outrage was just plain stupid. Twisting he's words just to show how better you are then everyone else. I feel really bad for the men and women that are really trying to make a defense. Not all these fakers that cry wolf; that just want them sweet likes and retweets. :sigh:

Jason handled it with class. and the retweet by Feig was good too.

Let us move on. So filming in Canada. Now where does Rick Moranis live again. ;D
By Coover5
Last year I was wondering if Spirit Halloween would release any more Ghostbuster items because I really want an affordable giga meter. But I knew it very well could be the end of the line. Now I'm facing the very real possibility that a giga meter might get buried because they will have too much to produce for GB20. What a change! I can't wait for the toys. Especially the roleplay stuff.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By deadderek
Well the movie doesn't drop until next year so it's likely Spirit will still be selling a healthy amount of Ghostbusters merchandise for the 2019 season.
Coover5 liked this
By Sav C
Alphagaia wrote: February 21st, 2019, 5:37 am Ugh, this awfull article is just baiting people to get angry at the new movie. It's 2016 all over again! Don't believe this crap!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/g ... oBlRd_kHTE
They wrote a terrible article (that made a mountain out of what wasn't even a molehill), and then took a dig at Ghostbusters II. I am very disappointed in The Hollywood Reporter--that wasn't worthy of being published on a mainstream news source.
Alphagaia, RichRyan1507 liked this
By timeware
I'm not even bothering reading the article. Outside looking in it seems to me that someone just wants to start another battle of the sexes.

There's going to be a lot of articles coming up on the main page like there was with ATC. There's going to be a lot of click bait stuff and I'm assuming that a lot of it is going to be generated by fans of ATC who are feeling jilted by GB20 coming out.

Not referring to anyone in this community I just have this "hunch" it's going to be a repeat of the summer before ATC was released. There's going to be more crap like this i'm sure. Bro Busters freak out the sequel.

Reboot hose attached. And Still working out a fe[…]

Thanks for making this thread - was able to follow[…]

Wow this looks amazing! I really enjoyed reading […]

@gpstar, Thanks for all this info. I’m wor[…]