Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Sav C
I'd like to see Ray, Winston, and Venkman return. Janine can return as their secretary. I'd like to see Louis return, but I'm not sure how. There could be a montage, and coming out of the montage the Ghostbusters could show up at some classical music exhibit which Dana organized, where perhaps a ghost showed up and is playing an old instrument, or a dead composer shows up and is rewriting his masterwork symphony.

Beyond that, I think the beginning should be concise, unlike, say, Force Awakens. And the ending needs to build. Forget Stay Puft, forget Vigo, and start from scratch. The movie will work if it's concise.

I can't wait to see what we get--I have such high hopes!
By Davideverona
I think the most logical thing to do is having Egon dead.

It wouldn't feel "real" to have him somewhere else and not coming back to help his friends with a major ghost outbreak.

"Egon, we're dealing with a massive supernatural problem. Dead are actually rising from the grave, there is a portal opening whose energy spikes fried my PKE"

"Uhm... Sorry Ray, but I'm in Geneva studying climate changes. See ya!"

No.
RichRyan1507, Sav C, Dr.D and 2 others liked this
By Kingpin
mrmichaelt wrote: March 26th, 2019, 2:55 amWas that because there was construction going on inside Hook and Ladder 8 during filming?
Likely that Feig and Co just didn't want to disrupt a Firestation by filming inside as well as out, and they maybe always had it in mind to homage the interior from the 80s films with a lookalike set.
mrmichaelt wrote: March 26th, 2019, 2:55 amPlus, last I read, I think the LA Firehouse is also undergoing restoration in 2016 -- not sure if that's still ongoing...
There was a period a few years back where substantial work was being done, and the environment inside was hazardous for people without the proper safety equipment to be inside - I remember a reference to asbestos. I haven't seen anything recent indigating work being carried out, but it's on the cards...

...Although the community centre plan has been in the works since at least 1996.

I don't see them doing a recap scene at the start of the movie, Ghostbusters II didn't, they covered the basic points of the interim five years between the two movies through brief dialogue and the visual change in the Ghostbusters' circumstances. Now, we may see snippets using de-aged actors of the circumstances that saw Egon die, if he died on a bust, but they may instead opt for the newspaper clipping-approach: headlines announcing the death of Dr. Spengler and the Ghostbusters' dissolving, read by one of the new characters.

In terms of returning characters, Ray and Winston is the bare minimum for me. Venkman would be nice, but I'm prepared for him not being in it because of Bill. Janine would be nice to have, but I concede she isn't as integral.

I like Dana and Louis, but there's no need to have them in the film.
deadderek, Davideverona, RichRyan1507 and 1 others liked this
By Slimered
RichRyan1507 wrote: March 25th, 2019, 5:23 pm
Slimered wrote: March 25th, 2019, 5:19 pm They could not film in New York and still feature the Firehouse. If they have a large studio space and build a New York street with the Firehouse inside, alongside new sets for the Firehouse exterior it is very possible.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we don't see the Firehouse at all, but I think it'll play a role, albeit a small one.
Yeah, I expect it will appear. I think Sony will be wanting to push whatever iconography they can from the first two films into this one.
SpaceBallz wrote: March 25th, 2019, 7:04 pm
Slimered wrote: March 24th, 2019, 5:13 pm Given that he had a longer-than-10-second cameo in Answer The Call, I think you'll be eating your shorts.
He wasn't playing Peter Venkman in ATC. :-P It was something different. He seems to be attracted to not reprising famous roles.
But it was still Ghostbusters.
mrmichaelt wrote: March 26th, 2019, 12:45 am Here's a question - how much is too much in terms of the characters they might bring back for this movie? Everyone seems to more or less agree Ray, Peter, and Winston. But what about Janine, Louis, Dana, or Peck since this movie seems to tie directly to the first movie? Or should they keep the returning cast small as to avoid an imbalance with the new cast? (and no I'm not talking about actor availability or desire to join)
I'd say keep the returning cast small, so as to keep some potential returnees back for possible future films. That way you could use Janine's return, or Louis' as a selling point for Ghostbusters 4 or 5. It doesn't make sense to throw everything in straight away.
Kingpin wrote: March 26th, 2019, 2:26 am
Slimered wrote: March 25th, 2019, 5:19 pmThey could not film in New York and still feature the Firehouse. If they have a large studio space and build a New York street with the Firehouse inside, alongside new sets for the Firehouse exterior it is very possible.
Building a mockup of the Firehouse exterior and the surrounding street on a sound stage doesn't seem neccesary when the real thing is standing there and the crew is still willing to let productions film there.

The interior would require a set, definitely, given Firestation #23 has been shut up pending refurbishment as a community centre, but there's no reason not to use the real Hook & Ladder #8 for exteriors.
Even still, if they don't actually shoot there as a location they could CGI the Firehouse into shot.
RichRyan1507 wrote: March 26th, 2019, 7:56 am Here's a question for everyone. How do they deal with catching us up on the last 30 years? An opening montage where they show us all the activity and how Egon (and possibly Peter) died, or do they sprinkle the details in throughout the beginning of the movie? Or something else?
Set up where Egon is as a bit of a mystery, something that is clearly still raw emotionally for the original Ghostbusters and that they clearly don't want to discuss. Then reveal during a quiet moment late into the second act/approaching the start of act three that Egon died on a mission. I think that could work quite well, especially if one of the kids is related to Egon.
Last edited by Kingpin on March 26th, 2019, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Condensed all five posts into a single post
By mrmichaelt
Geez, Slimered. No offense intended but if you're on a computer, and I hope you are -- 2 is eh, 3 is irksome but 4 -- 5 posts in a row is really annoying. You can right click the reply button to open a reply in new tabs then copy paste all the quotes into one post rather than reply to them all individually.
deadderek liked this
By deadderek
Davideverona wrote: March 26th, 2019, 11:28 pmhttps://twitter.com/Lapacazo/status/111 ... 13248?s=19

Did she jumped the gun or did she let slip something that doesn't have to be public yet?
Well I'd be cautious...it could be any number of projects tbh. BUT...fingers crossed.
By back
Davideverona wrote: March 26th, 2019, 11:28 pmhttps://twitter.com/Lapacazo/status/111 ... 13248?s=19

Did she jumped the gun or did she let slip something that doesn't have to be public yet?
Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator

...Who are we kidding? Their not gonna say anything ...Or the classic line of "no ones called me" or "Id like to retract/correct my previous comment" ... SIGH! :walterpeck:
deadderek liked this
By Alphagaia
Coover5 wrote: March 27th, 2019, 12:04 am Since they will most likely be in Canada in June I doubt it. Could be L.A.'s Finest, Mr. Beebee or Wizardream.
Well, it's not uncommon to have multiple camera crews doing multiple shoots at the same time on multiple locations, but you are right that it could be those shows as well.
deadderek liked this
By Davideverona
Alphagaia wrote: March 26th, 2019, 11:56 pm I get that it's frustrating to wait, but I really want them to release the info in the order they want to release it.
So far I liked the slow dripping of news. We have an almost constant ratio of one per month :) it's someway reassuring and refreshing, knowing that a project will be made and entering slowly in possession of the details is much better than not knowing if it will ever come out of the ground and having Aykroyd constantly shouting "We're working on the script!!! We have a good story in mind!! Will come out in 2009-2010-2011-2012-2013-2014.....uhm,I'm rewriting the script following Harold 's voice.... Will come out in 2015, let's get the reboot made and then we'll focus on a proper sequel as planned!!!"
deadderek, Alphagaia liked this
By Coover5
True. it's not uncommon for most but it's uncommon for Reitman which is why I have my doubts. Then again, the cowriter being a director could mean directing duties are divided. Sandoval works for L.A. Sentinel which labels itself as "black press" suggesting that she is most likely talking about "L.A.'s Finest". Also, just looking at LA Sentinel's website suggests it doesn't have a huge following and is very unlikely to get a scoop that big.
deadderek, Davideverona liked this
By timeware
I don't know why this didn't dawn on me before. They could just write in a plotline where Egon actually locked himself in the containment unit explaining his absence, and if he's been there for the last 30 odd years. Ray opens the containment unit viewer and Egon's waving at them in his RGB exploration suit.
By Kingpin
timeware wrote: March 27th, 2019, 2:22 am I don't know why this didn't dawn on me before. They could just write in a plotline where Egon actually locked himself in the containment unit explaining his absence, and if he's been there for the last 30 odd years. Ray opens the containment unit viewer and Egon's waving at them in his RGB exploration suit.
The problem with plot points like that is sooner or later, you have to shatter the illusion to address the fact the actor's passed away. Having him alive in the Containment Unit leaves it open for him to potentially return, which can't happen.
Alphagaia, savintheday liked this
By deadderek
I agree. Harold has passed and I feel it makes the most sense that Egon has as well. :(
By RichRyan1507
Davideverona wrote: March 27th, 2019, 6:54 amhttps://www.reddit.com/r/ghostbusters/c ... n_what_we/

I like this guy point of view

That post pretty much sums up how I think it'll go, so far. I agree that the kids aren't going to be the ones busting the ghosts and that they won't be the new team of GBs. They'll be the bridge to get the old team back together.

I can't wait to see how they incorporate Egon's death, the possible new team, and the original GBs into it, but I have a really good feeling that it's going to be done very well.
Alphagaia, Davideverona, deadderek and 1 others liked this
By SpaceBallz
Bill & Ted 3 comes out next summer too and they're not replacing Rufus but honoring him. They should do the same for Egon.
deadderek, savintheday liked this
By deadderek
Slimered wrote: March 27th, 2019, 5:26 pm

Nice to have practical confirmation of one original Ghostbuster. Now just waiting on Dan Aykroyd and Bill Murray.
That's not confirmation though, he could be working on any number of projects.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By Coover5
In the category of things I would like knowing it wouldn't be a good fit for the movie...

I'd love to see a statue of Egon come to life as a possessed object. It could be for a museum display or something at the firehouse. It could be great quality or a cardboard standee. Perhaps a small bit of hesitation on the part of the busters that it might really be him before it becomes clear it isn't. I just like the idea of it. But I don't think it would really work.
By BatDan
as far as what i'd like to see?

my wishes are pretty minimal...i just want to see the OGB's back in the saddle for one last film and given them a good arc and send off, the one thing we've practically been waiting for since the mid to late 90s. the rest i'll leave up to the filmmakers.
savintheday liked this

https://i.imgur.com/cMwtW9y.jpg Where do th[…]

Ecto Containment Unit

Hey sorry I never saw this…it’s just […]

Greetings from Montana

Hey and welcome

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]