Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Dr.D
Here's something I want to speculate on...who's to say the Ghostbusters are out of business?

We see the Ecto 1, a 70 year old vehicle in an old barn. But who's to say there isn't ALREADY another team of Ghostbusters running things a different way. Maybe the old GBs were forced out by the city because they were too old to function and NYC felt they needed to have a fully functional team of paranormal eliminators. Maybe the new GBs are doing things their own way with their own car and HQ, leaving the others to retire and reminisce. This whole movie could be about not just passing the torch but taking the mantle back. Would be kinda meta and interesting to see a team of GBs intentionally set up for an audience to not like. Maybe they are treated sorta like celebrities and don't do much actual Ghostbusting. Or maybe their methods are more indifferent and destructive. Or maybe they're just unlikable characteres.

Example, and I hope ya'll TNG fans otherwise it'll be lost, would be the episode where the Enterprise D crew discovers Scotty in suspended animation inside a Transporter. At first everyone is kinda in awe of Scotty but soon you see he is out of place and in the way. Things have changed and he isn't sure what to do. He feels out of place and useless. So imagine Ray Stantz, in his older age, puttering around HQ. He still has a general grasp of things but the technology has changed so much he isn't really much help. So he packs up and heads out of the city. A group of intelligent, gifted, street smart kids who know him as "The Ghostbuster Guy" find him at his farmhouse and ask him for help. Ray sees an opportunity to train these kids in the old ways of Ghostbusting. Case is bigger than Ray thinks, calls the others for help. Eventually all characters converge outside NYC, including new team. Fight, win, kids are positioned to become new Ghostbusters some day...
Alphagaia, deadderek, philmorgan81 and 1 others liked this
By RichRyan1507
Anyway, back to the Bill Barr Jason Reitman interview: I loved hearing him talk about how intentional they're being at making sure the movie has the same aesthetic as the original. That's super important to me. Hopefully they also bring back the same dry humor we all loved about the original as well. Listening to him speak makes you appreciate someone like him being at the helm.
Sav C, deadderek liked this
By Alphagaia
savintheday wrote: February 19th, 2019, 10:40 am
Alphagaia wrote: February 19th, 2019, 10:31 am Agreed, the stupid mudslinging and opinions add nothing new to the debate, and will only lead to dislike between fans.

Let's keep it on GB20!
NO HALLPASS FOR YOU

/soupnazie
Sav C liked this
By Kingpin
timeware wrote: February 19th, 2019, 12:34 amDid you ever see that get active commercial with Winston and his grandmother? Seriously, that lazy sh*t's using the treadmill to walk the freaking dog like he's George freaking Jetson. That is how lazy we've become since the 80's. All were missing is moving sidewalks and flying cars.
I don't completely condone the idea, but... First, it's a commercial.
A commercial isn't automatically an accurate reflection of reality. Now, that's not to say there aren't people who use treadmills for dog walking, but it excuses some of the potential practical reasons for doing so, such as:

•Their work/home commitments may not allow them the flexibility to disappear off on a 30-60 dog walk.
•Their neighbourhood may not be the safest place to go dog walking all the time.
•The weather might not allow for going outside for a dog walk, such as a severe storm or blizzard.

Some people are lazy with technology, plenty aren't. Some are even innovative with it.

Each generation bemoans the next for laziness and social disconnect, whether it's legitimate or imagined.

Not every teenager who has a smart phone is constantly glued to the screen, and a Ghostbusters movie set in the era of smart phones, tablet computers, and the internet can't just go ignore those technological advances because they don't seem immediately integratable with technology devised 35 years ago.
It may not be considered canon by next summer, but the production staff at Terminal Reality mused on the new design for the P.K.E. Meter being the result of Egon inventing compact computer/touch screen technology ahead of the curve.
The Ghostbusters may've only had a handful of years after 1989 where they remained in business, but they weren't in a complete bubble of isolation during those years - they would have had some technological advances in one area or another when it comes to their equipment.

If the trailer's to be taken at face value*, then we'll likely see the classic gear for the most part, and maybe the odd post-Vigo design, or prototype. If this movie becomes a spring-board for a new film franchise, we likely will see new technology either by the final scene, or the blueprints/prototypes for it by the end of the credits.

Whether that's completely new stuff, or augmented... Will remain to be seen. It could even be a happy medium: classic-looking Ghost Traps, but with wireless activation - something already established in The Video Game, and Legion.

As for action...
We have to remember that while the indications Jason's given are to try make this film more in the vein of the 1980s films than other efforts, we also have to remember that this film will (very likely) be geared towards new fans as well as established ones.
As such, we may well see a bit more movement and action being brought into the busts compared to before - because today's audiences have some expectations that a film production can't just ignore. I'm not talking about Matrix-style jumps and falls, or Jackie-chan style rolls and ducks... But there is likely to be more running, more pot-shots in the tight corners, and more jumping out of the way.
Because, we'd already seen an evolution in how the busts were being handled, compare Slimer being caught in the ballroom of the Sedgewick and the Scoleris being trapped at the Court House. The latter scene does feel more action-packed - largely because the second ghost present just made that bust so much harder.

*Taking the teaser as representative of the final product...
The point of it being more of an allegory is an interesting one, that's not something I'd considered.
I'm not sure it will prove solely to be just a "flavour" of what we'll actually see, but... It is worth keeping in mind that Jason may've shot it at short notice, and with what was available to hand. It's almost a guerilla production, with minimal crew and equipment: a lighting rig, fans, some electricians, a guy with a steadicam, and potentially guys to pull the tarp covering Ecto-1, as well as the crew who transported the car.

This may not be the barn we end up seeing in 2020, heck, we may not even see a barn in the end. :whatever:

I guess, part of what I'm trying to say is, the trickled tidbits aside, we're like John Snow when it comes to Ghostbusters 2020: we know nothing. :)
Davideverona wrote: February 19th, 2019, 1:18 am If Sony greenlighted the first draft it had to be motherfuckingly good!!
Well... They at least thought the idea can make them a profit. :whatever::)
Dr.D, timeware, Sav C and 2 others liked this
By timeware
I could just imagine Alexa ordering a bunch of hunting traps, or giving a short history lecture on the definition of the word trap. This in the middle of a bust. I hope this bit is actually written into the movie.
By Slimered
Alphagaia wrote: February 18th, 2019, 11:06 pm
Wiggyof9 wrote: February 18th, 2019, 6:17 pm

It would be reflective of a terrible part of modern day culture. The part where everyone is self absorbed and doesnt take anything seriously.
We already had that plotline in GB2 and as a joke in ATC. The best way I would want a selfie in GB20 is if it's used in a scary way, like a ghost appearing in the background, and coming closer with each picture taken, Stephen King style.

Or you know, if it features Egon, trying to contact his daughter or something.
There was a story a few years' ago of the daughter of a famous comedian over here (in the UK) called Jason Manford seeing the ghost of an eighteenth century soldier crying in the background of a video call whilst video calling her Dad. Quite spooky.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By Slimered
mrmichaelt wrote: February 19th, 2019, 2:32 am the studio read the first draft and said 'Yeah, go make it.'

Interesting. I doubt they would have done that if the original Ghostbusters weren't involved. Even Answer The Call had cameos written for the actors in new roles.
RichRyan1507, Sav C liked this
By philmorgan81
Dr.D wrote: February 19th, 2019, 10:46 am Here's something I want to speculate on...who's to say the Ghostbusters are out of business?

We see the Ecto 1, a 70 year old vehicle in an old barn. But who's to say there isn't ALREADY another team of Ghostbusters running things a different way. Maybe the old GBs were forced out by the city because they were too old to function and NYC felt they needed to have a fully functional team of paranormal eliminators. Maybe the new GBs are doing things their own way with their own car and HQ, leaving the others to retire and reminisce. This whole movie could be about not just passing the torch but taking the mantle back. Would be kinda meta and interesting to see a team of GBs intentionally set up for an audience to not like. Maybe they are treated sorta like celebrities and don't do much actual Ghostbusting. Or maybe their methods are more indifferent and destructive. Or maybe they're just unlikable characteres.

Example, and I hope ya'll TNG fans otherwise it'll be lost, would be the episode where the Enterprise D crew discovers Scotty in suspended animation inside a Transporter. At first everyone is kinda in awe of Scotty but soon you see he is out of place and in the way. Things have changed and he isn't sure what to do. He feels out of place and useless. So imagine Ray Stantz, in his older age, puttering around HQ. He still has a general grasp of things but the technology has changed so much he isn't really much help. So he packs up and heads out of the city. A group of intelligent, gifted, street smart kids who know him as "The Ghostbuster Guy" find him at his farmhouse and ask him for help. Ray sees an opportunity to train these kids in the old ways of Ghostbusting. Case is bigger than Ray thinks, calls the others for help. Eventually all characters converge outside NYC, including new team. Fight, win, kids are positioned to become new Ghostbusters some day...
Oh yeah I don’t really think the Ghostbusters are necessarily out of business. Run down Ecto and equipment aside, I was wondering the same thing. I am getting a feeling that who ever is in that barn is there because they want to be there. I am getting the vibe of self imposed exile. I had said this before the Ghosbusters franchise probably continued to thrive and franchise out and the founders probably stepped away from the company perhaps because of the loss of a dear friend. It’s possible, it depends on the vision that Jason Reitman has. It has got to be pretty good since it was approved from the first draft. I had pondered like you what if this is a coming out of retirement story as well as passing the torch. One more last big case for the remaining OGs and at the end they step out of field work and back into their roles as founding CEOs. From there they continue to run the company in supervising positions. :):):)
By Sav C
Had Ghostbusters been a real business, chances are that sometime after Ghostbusters II, they would have gone public with an IPO. Being sometime in the early to mid nineties, their stock likely gained 1,500% during the first few days of public trading--routinely leading the NASDAQ--only to collapse during the subsequent tech bubble burst. If GB2020 is a going-back-into-business movie, odds are there was excessive competition in the Ghostbusting field, and they eventually liquidated. Or perhaps they were profitable. Who knows. They were probably the Tesla of the nineties.

I'm the most boring teenager ever! :D
Alphagaia liked this
By Coover5
I wasted a good hour and a half writing a very lengthy explanation of business and how it would apply to the film and the company of Ghostbusters but it was boring so here is the short version:

The company that establishes a new service or technology rarely survives and if it does it's not likely to be the preeminent business in the field. That's the real world for you. And even more likely to Ghostbusters being second rate or out of business entirely is the government establishing its own branch of paranormal investigations. The world can almost end only so many times before the government steps in.

That all being said, no one in this thread can give a real answer about what's going to happen in Ghostbusters 3. People keep saying it must be a certain way but before that people have given 2 or 3 valid reasons why it can't. So let's try to remember that this is wishful thinking. Let's talk about GB20 in "I'd like..." and "I hope..." instead of "It has to be..." or "It must be..." because there is no certainty in a franchise where paintings come to life, marshmallow men walk the streets and Bill Murray gets Sigourney Weaver twice.
By Coover5
QUESTION FOR EVERYONE

Gil Kenan, GB20 cowriter, may not be a name you recognize immediately but he directed Monster House and the Poltergeist remake. For those of you who have seen either or both of those films, knowing his past work with ghosts do you feel more or less excited about GB20?

I loved Poltergeist for its supernatural elements but what I really loved is the story line of the father, played by Sam Rockwell, trying to do good by his family. I found the father storyline was played just enough for the audience to pick up on it without forcing Rockwell to mug for the camera. That film gives me hope for GB20.
By Alphagaia
I really liked Monster House, kinda hope there is a living house/barn in this one, but I never saw the Poltergeist remake. Should I remedy this mistake tonight?
Sav C liked this
By Alphagaia
Coover5 wrote: February 20th, 2019, 2:16 am I enjoyed it but I don't think it was very popular in general so if you can watch it for free I say go for it.
It won't be free, but probably around 3 euro or something if they have it on the youtubes. I'll take that plunge, since it's cheaper then the fanfest. But then again, most things in life are.
By RichRyan1507
Coover5 wrote: February 20th, 2019, 1:56 am QUESTION FOR EVERYONE

Gil Kenan, GB20 cowriter, may not be a name you recognize immediately but he directed Monster House and the Poltergeist remake. For those of you who have seen either or both of those films, knowing his past work with ghosts do you feel more or less excited about GB20?

I loved Poltergeist for its supernatural elements but what I really loved is the story line of the father, played by Sam Rockwell, trying to do good by his family. I found the father storyline was played just enough for the audience to pick up on it without forcing Rockwell to mug for the camera. That film gives me hope for GB20.

I'm very excited to have Gil and Jason writing this together. It should produce a grounded, thoughtfully written script. Judging from their work, I think it'll definitely have those elements. If they can take comedic cues from the 84 movie and maybe lift a bit of the comedy from the 4667744 versions of GB 3 that have been written by Dan and Harold, this movie will really be something special.
By RichRyan1507
Alphagaia wrote: February 20th, 2019, 2:07 am I really liked Monster House, kinda hope there is a living house/barn in this one, but I never saw the Poltergeist remake. Should I remedy this mistake tonight?

I hope the opposite. I don't think a living inanimate object is a good call for this film at all.
Alphagaia liked this
By Davideverona
I'm doing a Jason Reitman Marathon to prepare myself (and my wife, who's very patient towards my Ghostbusters' passion) and so far I saw Thank you for Smoking and Up in the Air, so far the better of the two.

I saw Juno many years ago but I planned to revisit it.

The Front Runner is coming out in Italy this week.

What other movies should I watch in wich Jason was involved?
RichRyan1507 liked this
By RichRyan1507
Davideverona wrote: February 20th, 2019, 7:32 am I'm doing a Jason Reitman Marathon to prepare myself (and my wife, who's very patient towards my Ghostbusters' passion) and so far I saw Thank you for Smoking and Up in the Air, so far the better of the two.

I saw Juno many years ago but I planned to revisit it.

The Front Runner is coming out in Italy this week.

What other movies should I watch in wich Jason was involved?

I've only seen Thank You For Smoking and Juno. I really enjoyed both.
By Coover5
RichRyan1507 wrote: February 20th, 2019, 7:24 am
Alphagaia wrote: February 20th, 2019, 2:07 am I really liked Monster House, kinda hope there is a living house/barn in this one, but I never saw the Poltergeist remake. Should I remedy this mistake tonight?

I hope the opposite. I don't think a living inanimate object is a good call for this film at all.
"Living" objects, or a variation, played such a prominent role (painting, toaster, fur coat, bathtub)in the sequel that to me they are almost too connected to that particular film to do again.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By Coover5
In GB1, the car was alive to a certain degree, gargoyles came to life and ,if I remember correctly, the fur coat coming to life was planned for that film. Living stuff definitely has its place in Ghostbusters and a house possessed would be incredible. Perhaps not a talking house but organic like you could hear sounds of a digestive tract in the basement. And in the grand scheme of things living items are a part of Ghostbusters but aren't repeated that often considering the films, the cartoons, the comics, the video games etc. But since a general audience will only know of GB1 and GB2 the studio would probably be scared off doing another heavy alive objects story because the audience might misinterpret that as laziness. It would be incredible for an animated film, animated episode or comic strip though. Something where the full value of the idea could be explored without worrying about budget.
RichRyan1507, Sav C liked this
By Davideverona
So, if they really start filming in May, the cast will already be announced, so I don't think they'll use the Fan Fest for this kind of announcement.

But, with a month of shooting they'll have enough material for a new teaser? Your thoughts?

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]