Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By mrmichaelt
Here's a question - how much is too much in terms of the characters they might bring back for this movie? Everyone seems to more or less agree Ray, Peter, and Winston. But what about Janine, Louis, Dana, or Peck since this movie seems to tie directly to the first movie? Or should they keep the returning cast small as to avoid an imbalance with the new cast? (and no I'm not talking about actor availability or desire to join)
Sav C liked this
By Coover5
Unpopular opinion but I'm not too interested in Peter or Dana returning. It's just how I feel. I'd like to see Louis and Janine because they are closer to the kinds of characters I enjoy. I also think there is a place for them especially if the Busters remained in business. As for Peck, I can't think of many ways for him to be important without it seeming convoluted. The actor after all is 71 so even if you fudge the numbers to mid 60's he is a bit old to be working especially in a position low enough to care about the Busters. I could see him becoming the mayor or governor in the cartoons or comics but I feel it would be a stretch for the movie.

That all being said...
If the busters are still in business: Peter, Ray, Winston, Louis, and Janine could all realistically be connected to the business.
If they are out of business: Peter, Ray, and Winston because they have an obligation of sorts because they may be the only ones who could properly save the day.
By back
New thought just hit me...
Dan Aykroyd mentioned in an interview (I forget which one) that he was Hoping for a PG rating (I assume thats opposed to R) and that got me thinking about the story here.
Think of all the GOOD Horror flicks out there (Not the Slashers with Jason, Freddy or Micheal, etc), where the experience is truly terrifying for the audience to endure, where its genuinely Frightening to see 'this' happen to an average American family (The Conjuring is a prime example)... Not the dry humor of our slime-loving, funky feeling & chandelier destroying heroes that weve come to know and love. But these are new & much different times. And new & different times call for new & much more Interesting situations.
So TRY to imagine a truly scary Horror-Comedy flick (more than just Jump Scares) with our Boys N Grey (new or old Employees) on site for not comedic relief, but older school Comedy. It could be fun...
It COULD work, but I dont want to go see this flick and it end up being another Paranormal Activity Spoof. :eyeroll:
By timeware
As for what characters i'd like to see returned, i'm still sold on Louis playing a big part in reviving the Ghostbusters. I would rather see Janine make her return rather then Dana unless it brings in Venkman.
Sav C liked this
By Kingpin
Slimered wrote: March 25th, 2019, 5:19 pmThey could not film in New York and still feature the Firehouse. If they have a large studio space and build a New York street with the Firehouse inside, alongside new sets for the Firehouse exterior it is very possible.
Building a mockup of the Firehouse exterior and the surrounding street on a sound stage doesn't seem neccesary when the real thing is standing there and the crew is still willing to let productions film there.

The interior would require a set, definitely, given Firestation #23 has been shut up pending refurbishment as a community centre, but there's no reason not to use the real Hook & Ladder #8 for exteriors.
deadderek, Sav C liked this
By Coover5
I could see the Firehouse exterior being built if they were to damage it in some way (wasn't it supposed to be seen damaged at the end of GB1 or start of GB2?) but even then it would likely be a miniature just for the effect and they would still want to film at the real place. The cost between sending a small group to film the firehouse and building it in miniature, as a facade, as a partial façade + CGI or entirely CGI is just too great a difference.
By mrmichaelt
I like the idea that Janine revives the Ghostbusters if that's a requirement of the story. I'm unfortunately of that camp that doesn't really see the need for Louis. I liked that bit in the IDW comics that he moved to Florida to start over. I mean, don't throw me out the window, but I'm even of the opinion Louis should have only been in the court scenes of GB2 and the rest was superfluous. Keep in mind, I got nothing against Moranis.
Kingpin wrote: March 26th, 2019, 2:26 amBuilding a mockup of the Firehouse exterior and the surrounding street on a sound stage doesn't seem neccesary when the real thing is standing there and the crew is still willing to let productions film there.

The interior would require a set, definitely, given Firestation #23 has been shut up pending refurbishment as a community centre, but there's no reason not to use the real Hook & Ladder #8 for exteriors.
I recall for ATC, the exteriors of the Firehouse were NY but the interiors were filmed inside a Boston warehouse dressed as the Firehouse (I know for sure the scene when the rental agent shows them the space, not sure about the final scenes of the movie). Was that because there was construction going on inside Hook and Ladder 8 during filming? I think that's where Slimered is going. It may be the same situation for the 2020 movie, and interiors will have to be filmed elsewhere. Plus, last I read, I think the LA Firehouse is also undergoing restoration in 2016 -- not sure if that's still ongoing...
Coover5 wrote: March 26th, 2019, 2:44 am I could see the Firehouse exterior being built if they were to damage it in some way (wasn't it supposed to be seen damaged at the end of GB1 or start of GB2?) but even then it would likely be a miniature just for the effect and they would still want to film at the real place. The cost between sending a small group to film the firehouse and building it in miniature, as a facade, as a partial façade + CGI or entirely CGI is just too great a difference.
Yeah, in a draft(s) of GB2, it was in disrepair - it wasn't fixed up after the grid was turned off in GB1. Boarded up. And the GBs stand outside and start talking their game plan about going back into business then I think when Louis is going Winston's forms or something it's mentioned Egon and Ray are rebuilding the Containment Unit in the basement.
robbritton liked this
By Coover5
Louis was pretty important in Ghostbusters ii until most of it was chopped away. He was the lawyer, he was an accountant, he managed to get the Ghostbusters out of the psych ward, he helped keep the museum shell at bay (probably), he was trying to catch Slimer. There was so much for Louis. I think more disappeared relating to Louis than any other character and that includes the possession of Ray subplot. It could have been great to see that but you're right. Considering what they kept in it should have just been the courtroom scene.
mrmichaelt, Sav C liked this
By deadderek
Coover5 wrote: March 26th, 2019, 12:44 am I'm still not convinced that the barn in the teaser isn't the back of Possum Lodge and we aren't seeing Red Green fix a proton pack for a Handyman Corner segment.
I demand that for a post credits sequence.
Sav C liked this
By Davideverona
My minimum requirement would be Ray.

Acceptable would be Ray and Winston.

A good move would be having Ray, Winston and Peter (with Dana unable to join the party).

A great movie would be Ray, Winston and Peter donning the pack to help the new crew, Janine, a small Dana cameo asking Peter how's going on and Slimer as a sort of evoluted consciousness, a mix between GB1 Onion Head and GB2 Kid Friendly Slimer. And a real fitting Ramis' tribute, of course.
Sav C liked this
By RichRyan1507
Here's a question for everyone. How do they deal with catching us up on the last 30 years? An opening montage where they show us all the activity and how Egon (and possibly Peter) died, or do they sprinkle the details in throughout the beginning of the movie? Or something else?

I'd love for it to be the opening montage option. It'd be a unique way to open a GB movie compared to the first 2, a good heroic send off for Egon, and would offer a solid transition to the opening credits with the theme song. Not to mention it would lessen the burden of having to spend precious time during the film explaining that stuff. It would also immediately create context for people who aren't super familiar with the Canon making it appealing to a wider audience.

What say you?
deadderek liked this
By Michael Scott
What has happened over the last 30 years is the biggest question I want to have answered, and the biggest reason I always favored a prime continuation over a reboot. I want to find out what has happened to as many characters as possible since 1989. To do it in a montage and have it over with in the first 5 minutes of the film would be deflating to me.

I liked the way we learned about what happened between the first 2 movies in Ghostbusters 2. Remember that the last we saw the Ghostbusters in 1984 they were being celebrated as heroes, so to have the team out of business and doing their own things was a major plot twist at the very beginning. But they took time to develop that and it wasn’t rushed.

So revealing what’s been going on since 1989 doesn’t have to be sprinkled in for the whole movie, but it doesn’t need to be hurried either. I think as long as we get some of the original characters back, Reitman will take the time to continue their development by connecting the dots from 1989 to 2020.
deadderek, RichRyan1507 liked this
By Alphagaia
While I would love to know what happens to everyone, I don't want it to clog up the story.

Maybe they can focus on different characters each movie to give everyone the attention they deserve.

Yeah, I'm already talking sequels here ;-)
RichRyan1507 liked this
By deadderek
A 4th Ghostbusters movie? Idk....Dan & Ernie would be pushing close to 100 assuming it takes 30 years again.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By RichRyan1507
Michael Scott wrote: March 26th, 2019, 8:59 am What has happened over the last 30 years is the biggest question I want to have answered, and the biggest reason I always favored a prime continuation over a reboot. I want to find out what has happened to as many characters as possible since 1989. To do it in a montage and have it over with in the first 5 minutes of the film would be deflating to me.

I liked the way we learned about what happened between the first 2 movies in Ghostbusters 2. Remember that the last we saw the Ghostbusters in 1984 they were being celebrated as heroes, so to have the team out of business and doing their own things was a major plot twist at the very beginning. But they took time to develop that and it wasn’t rushed.

So revealing what’s been going on since 1989 doesn’t have to be sprinkled in for the whole movie, but it doesn’t need to be hurried either. I think as long as we get some of the original characters back, Reitman will take the time to continue their development by connecting the dots from 1989 to 2020.

I'm not saying that they'd have to condense everything into that opening montage. Just a quick recap that shows what happened to the team. IE the battle where Egon died or something. It catches us up and leaves the rest of the film to deal with the repercussions of it while introducing the new characters and catching up with the old.
By Alphagaia
You know, I would buy a storyline where they stop being GB because of Egon's death. Maybe even sell the rights to another group that create all this new tech. Then something happens to Egon's family that require the old GB to start up the old equipment because either the new group doesn't want to help, actually sue's them for rights infringement or perhaps even get destroyed by the same entity that killed Egon.

I want business troubles and ghosts to be a factor in the storyline.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By RichRyan1507
Alphagaia wrote: March 26th, 2019, 10:06 am You know, I would buy a storyline where they stop being GB because of Egon's death. Maybe even sell the rights to another group that have all this new tech. Then something happens that require them to start up the old equipment because either the new group doesn't want to help, actually sue's them for rights infringement or perhaps even get destroyed by the same entity that killed Egon.

I want business troubles and ghosts to be a factor in the storyline.

I like that idea aside from the rival group thing. Having them stop because of Egon's death feels right. The rest seems too contrived to me. Not only that, I think that the plot details that we have so far rule it out, anyway.
Alphagaia, deadderek liked this
By RichRyan1507
Alphagaia wrote: March 26th, 2019, 10:21 am What storypoint rules it out?

I just don't think that "Single mother moves family to small town, and finds mysterious connection to their family past" reads 'business' story. That's not the film they're trying to make. Plus they already did the legal trouble/injunction/going back into business thing in GB2.

I think this movie will have something interesting and original to offer. The idea that you're taking about is neither of those, IMO.
deadderek liked this
By Alphagaia
Wellz that's a little harsh. I think calling something not original also depends on expectations and execution. For instance, I mention they are getting sued and you might immediately think there will be a courtscene a la GB2 when I see it simply as a simple phonecall that reminds them they aren't allowed to bust ghosts to save the mom and child because they sold the rights. They might even just have to wait untill the other crew has time to check it out, which just takes to long.

Calling it not original depends totally on the execution, imo. And what other storybeats are going to be important.
Sav C liked this
By RichRyan1507
Alphagaia wrote: March 26th, 2019, 10:58 am Wellz that's a little harsh. I think calling something not original also depends on expectations and execution. For instance, I mention they are getting sued and you might immediately think there will be a courtscene a la GB2 when I see it simply as a simple phonecall that reminds them they aren't allowed to bust ghosts to save the mom and child because they sold the rights. They might even just have to wait untill the other crew has time to check it out, which just takes to long.

Calling it not original depends totally on the execution, imo. And what other storybeats are going to be important.

In addition to being unoriginal, I would say it's also unnecessary. Just adds more things that need explaining. They're going to have a hard enough time catching us up on 30 years, especially with Egon's death. No need to add all that extra stuff into the mix.
deadderek liked this
By Michael Scott
Very true. But nothing says Egon had to die at the age Harold did. What if Egon died in 1993 as an example? And I wouldn’t be surprised if they wrote Egon out of the story a different way and had him doing something that would make him unavailable.
Alphagaia, deadderek liked this
By RichRyan1507
Michael Scott wrote: March 26th, 2019, 11:32 am Very true. But nothing says Egon had to die at the age Harold did. What if Egon died in 1993 as an example? And I wouldn’t be surprised if they wrote Egon out of the story a different way and had him doing something that would make him unavailable.

To me, it doesn't really matter when Egon died, but I think he needs to be dead. It just wouldn't feel right having him just be absent because he's off doing something else. Harold Ramis = Egon Spengler, at least in the movie universe. No one else can, or should fill those shoes.

Doing what you're suggesting either A) Leaves his story unfinished in a very unsatisfying way (If this is the last film we get), or B) Opens the door for someone else to play him later if there are sequels. I'm not ok with either, personally.
By Alphagaia
RichRyan1507 wrote: March 26th, 2019, 11:03 am
Alphagaia wrote: March 26th, 2019, 10:58 am Wellz that's a little harsh. I think calling something not original also depends on expectations and execution. For instance, I mention they are getting sued and you might immediately think there will be a courtscene a la GB2 when I see it simply as a simple phonecall that reminds them they aren't allowed to bust ghosts to save the mom and child because they sold the rights. They might even just have to wait untill the other crew has time to check it out, which just takes to long.

In addition to being unoriginal, I would say it's also unnecessary. Just adds more things that need explaining. They're going to have a hard enough time catching us up on 30 years, especially with Egon's death. No need to add all that extra stuff into the mix.
Yeah, I understand where that's coming from. They kind of did this with GB2, where they added a whole arc of them being out of business, and it added next to nothing to the story apart from adding extra stuff.

I just hope Egon's death is an important plotpoint and how the group moved on should be a big theme in the movie.

But I'd hate it if it also meant GB just stopped being GB and that it would have no consequences. Ghosts just don't stop haunting and someone should want to fill that void, especially after two major ghost outbreaks that almost destroyed the world. It ofcourse also depends on when Egon dies, how he dies and how each GB reacts to this.

No problem if you don't like my take on it, of course, especially since it's just a few sentences that needs more details for it to work.
RichRyan1507, Sav C liked this

At the moment my interest would be what sorts fo[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

I know very little about Five Nights at Freddy's […]

Doug Keithley/sponge face/Ghostlab42 made a excell[…]

Did it come out today? Ugh the art is so bad tho[…]