Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
Let's get one thing out of the way. There ARE sexist GB fans. We've all probably seen at least one. But they do not represent anything more than a small minority of fans. I'm doing this on mobile so I won't link to any of the articles, but in light of the recent GB3 announcement there have been more than a few popping up that have seething opinions about us as a fandom. One was by Scott Mendelson of Forbes.com, Article titled something like "We are Getting a Ghostbusters 3 and Its all YOUR fault"(no joke) other have been Tweets by respected critics like Matt Zoller Seitz. They all call Gb fans "toxic" and "GhostBros". They do not write about a difference between those who had valid critiques of GB16 and those who loathed it out of sexist ideals. It's not right.

Some fans on here have experienced the sexism first hand, others have not. But it's not representative of this fandom. All fandoms have racist, sexist and all sorts of vile non sense, but with Ghostbusters, it's somehow different. Some of us(not me) do great work. Dressing up for Charities, visiting sick kids in the hospital, making fan films just for the fun of it. That's the true spirit of this fandom, not the small portion that yelled the loudest in 2016. And yet we are all forever tainted by those few. It's not right.

As a male who did not at all enjoy GB16(and I do not want this thread to be about that. There are other places to hash that out), I feel a sense of guilt everytime this "GhostBros" term is thrown about. I had my own reasons for not enjoying the film, none of them were sexist, and yet I feel a bit guilty as a GB fan. Everytime I've said something against the reboot, I think the automatic reaction by anybody reading is to assume I'm a sexist pig, so I have to go out if my way to say that "No that's not what I'm about". It's not right.

A 3rd Ghostbusters film is finally getting made. That's cause to rejoice! Go to google and type in "Ghostbusters 3" and you'll see that the media isn't rejoicing. They are blaming the sexist pigs. Once again Ghostbusters makes the news, once again any non fan reading those articles assumes the worst in all of us. That's what we are to these people. They look past the charity, the love and the kindness in our fandom and see what they want to see. The ugly and vile. It's not right.

I wonder if Sony and the Reitman's are reading these articles online and doing some behind the scenes course correcting to appease these film bloggers(most of whom I respect and read regularly). I mean, if this film is anything less than great it is just going to get crucified by these same bloggers. It would only be natural. Let's face it, they'd be going in to the movie with their knives sharpened. Jason Reitman himself is getting criticized for doing this movie & that's not right.
deadderek, Sav C, Kevin Dawe and 1 others liked this
The problem is stuff like this , no offence to you. But it's "we need to rally together as we are been attacked" but when the women were attacked by fans and even websites ect . Fans pass it off as just trolls and not the fandom.

When everyone turns a blind eye and lets the hate grow towards others because a film is more important than human rights ect. Then yeah the fandom is toxic and deserves this imo. As it still hasn't learned from it sadly.
twmedford23 liked this
RichardLess wrote: January 21st, 2019, 1:55 pm not the small portion that yelled the loudest in 2016. And yet we are all forever tainted by those few. It's not right.
That’s it, though. Those few did yell so very, very loud. And they yelled directly at the cast and crew where everyone could see it. And they made us look awful. And then rather than yelling back, others started shouting about Sony conspiracies being to blame, which kind of looks like it forgives those who were being awful, albeit indirectly.

Sadly, those more level minded among us (both for and against any aspect of the franchise) are tainted. All we can do is be positive where we can be and be examples of a positive fandom. Which is hokey and kum ba yah ish, but what else can we do? You can’t shout someone into liking something, and you can’t shout the genuine sexists out of being sexist, and you certainly can’t shout the trolls out of being trolls.

We can champion Jason Reitman’s movie without slagging something else off. That’d be a start. We can understand why Leslie Jones is upset without going “haha your movie was awful and you’re an idiot”. Just do the kind of things things decent humans would do, y’know?

Don't let the b*stards grind you down and be the example you want to be. Maybe we can eclipse the genuinely toxic back and reclaim this massive flawed thing that we all dig so much? *cut to us all looking meaningfully at the Statue of Liberty on Ecto’s registration plate*
SSJmole, Sav C, Alphagaia and 2 others liked this
SSJmole wrote: January 21st, 2019, 2:22 pm The problem is stuff like this , no offence to you. But it's "we need to rally together as we are been attacked" but when the women were attacked by fans and even websites ect . Fans pass it off as just trolls and not the fandom.

When everyone turns a blind eye and lets the hate grow towards others because a film is more important than human rights ect. Then yeah the fandom is toxic and deserves this imo. As it still hasn't learned from it sadly.
If the movie had been good there would have been shouting back. The problem is the trailer was awful, the movie tone was more in line with a Judd Apatow movie than a Ghostbusters movie, and the adlibs wrecked it. Plus, the studio blamed all fans from the start and attacked "nerds" in there own movie. So, the mysonginists and trolls got mixed up with the people that legitimately didnt like the movie.

The more the studio blamed the entire fanbase the more people turned against them. They used the sexism angle as a scapegoat if (when) the movie failed. The media hyped it up as well. Now the media is trying to ride that train again. Leslie Jones was interviewed and said making GB3 is something Trump would do, calling the move sexist. We dont even know anything about the movie other than it taking place in the original continuity, yet she knows its sexist?

The announcement couldnt have been more clear. Reitman said he respected what Fiege made and hoped to see stories with those characters, but this movie is about the next chapter of the original universe. No mention about hating the reboot. Nothing about the reboot not having happened. He was respectful. But Leslie Jones took it as earasing her version from history, saying that her and the other actresses count. No matter what is said, Ghostbusters now has the stench of sexism attached to it and it will never wash off.

In this new world groups are judged by their worst people, not who they are as a whole.
seekandannoy liked this
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote: January 21st, 2019, 3:52 pm It will pass. This won't be a story in a few days.
Until the next GB3 update happens. Frankly, Leslie Jones saying what she said was classless. The studio did nothing but say good things about her movie, even when it failed. Its low class to run down a movie that isnt even made yet.
Wiggyof9 wrote: January 21st, 2019, 3:55 pm
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote: January 21st, 2019, 3:52 pm It will pass. This won't be a story in a few days.
Until the next GB3 update happens. Frankly, Leslie Jones saying what she said was classless. The studio did nothing but say good things about her movie, even when it failed. Its low class to run down a movie that isnt even made yet.
Exactly my feelings towards a lot of the fandom in 2015 and 2016...
SSJmole, Sav C, groschopf liked this
Wiggyof9 wrote: January 21st, 2019, 3:48 pm
SSJmole wrote: January 21st, 2019, 2:22 pm The problem is stuff like this , no offence to you. But it's "we need to rally together as we are been attacked" but when the women were attacked by fans and even websites ect . Fans pass it off as just trolls and not the fandom.

If the movie had been good there would have been shouting back. The problem is the trailer was awful, the movie tone was more in line with a Judd Apatow movie than a Ghostbusters movie, and the adlibs wrecked it. Plus, the studio blamed all fans from the start and attacked "nerds" in there own movie. So, the mysonginists and trolls got mixed up with the people that legitimately didnt like the movie.

The more the studio blamed the entire fanbase the more people turned against them. They used the sexism angle as a scapegoat if (when) the movie failed. The media hyped it up as well. Now the media is trying to ride that train again. Leslie Jones was interviewed and said making GB3 is something Trump would do, calling the move sexist. We dont even know anything about the movie other than it taking place in the original continuity, yet she knows its sexist?

The announcement couldnt have been more clear. Reitman said he respected what Fiege made and hoped to see stories with those characters, but this movie is about the next chapter of the original universe. No mention about hating the reboot. Nothing about the reboot not having happened. He was respectful. But Leslie Jones took it as earasing her version from history, saying that her and the other actresses count. No matter what is said, Ghostbusters now has the stench of sexism attached to it and it will never wash off.

In this new world groups are judged by their worst people, not who they are as a whole.
Except that's more excuses. The hate and venom started BEFORE the film came out so if it was good or if it was not wasn't a factor. Plus it could be the absolute worst movie ever and you should still speak up. Quality of a movie is not a factor in been a decent human being.

The studio blamed fans as they sat back allowed it and alot of people claiming it was just for the reboot factor also we're excited for the Channing Tatum all male one that was announced.

Like star wars had sexists go after main character and actress. Even people like me who don't like the stuff defended her , pushed when Rey was not in monopoly and more so they realised it was t everyone.

Going "well sure they are been sexist and racist and some homophobic it's ok as it's a bad movie" is disgusting. That's why Ghostbusters has the backlash as it's fans deserve it. They put preconceived ideas of what isn't and isn't a good movie (75% on rotten tomatoes , it's better than 2 by 20% the same persentage the original is better than ATC so yeah quality is subjective) over actually trying to fight the hate away. In fact they encouraged as when ever the movie company spoke out as a response to the hate , Ghostbusters fans make out they are the victim and Sony invented the hate. Just like so many online say it's bad a movie buy yet it lost money from people not seeing it meaning alot of that is just spreading the lies by those who wanted to hurt it ... Because they hated the idea of all women.

So no , no sympathy. The fandom made its best it can sleep it. I've never seen a fandom this toxic and quick to blame the victims as this one. Posts like this make regret coming back into it as I hoped it'd be better but it's not. If you listen to the ghosbuststers fans then :

Any complaints about the movie = valid and real
Any praise = sjws or political

The racists and sexists that descended upon it = only like 2 people sony faked it!
The ghosbuststers fans who encouraged it and joined in? = Heroic victims

It's heart breaking. When I was a kid we all felt like anyone could be a Ghostbuster. Now we know no that's not true you have to be a male only or the fandom looks at you with hate.

It's ironic too as Lego Dimensions had old and new together with love to both. LEGO were better ghostbusters community than the actual ghostbusters community.
It's unfortunate that Jones's comment has brought controversy to this new Ghostbusters venture already--I am upset about that. I want this movie to be judged on its own merits. ATC deserved that, but did not receive that humble courtesy. I'm not sure if it is just internet culture, or society in general, but it disheartening how geared we are to controversial stories. It's not healthy.
Nobody was more supportive of Leslie and the reboot than I was. We, YHS, made an entire video for her full of fan support from around the world. After all was said and done, the movie was mediocre at best and didn’t make money. It’s a movie business; the key word is business. She cane off really dumb and illogical in her statements, and it just feeds into the Twitter tolls anyways.
Yup, google "Ghostbusters" news and you're treated to an entire page of articles about Jones' tweet, most of which paint the general fandom in a negative light.

Sure, most reasonable people can see through the narrative spin, but your average facebook-using normie is highly suggestible and will see this stuff on their feed, forming an opinion on the matter without reading much past the headline.

I can only hope that Reitman isn't swayed by any of this, and doesn't make changes to the movie to appease these zealots.
NotSabbat, seekandannoy liked this

I really don't think that's fair. At all. You think this fandom deserves this? there are a lot of Ghostbusters organizations that raise money for good causes. Visit sick kids, like I said. That stuff doesn't get reported on by the media. But because a few idiots spout non sense then it becomes "this is what the fandom is like". And it was a few, relative to the rest of us. Nothing is more important than human rights. You are generalizing. Every fandom has its ugly opinions. Everyone. But to say the bad outweighs the good simply because it gets reported on more than the other? What does that say?
seekandannoy liked this
People are trying to re-ignite the battle of the sexes. It's not going to do the cast of ATC any good if they go this route and get involved again. It's not going to go well for the fandom of ATC either. I'm looking at this from a studios point of view.

There will be a plethora of new merchandise coming out.

If the cast of ATC conduct themselves in a professional manner I would be more then willing to take another look at ATC even after the fact it didn't make it's money back. It's not a guarantee but I would imagine that DVD sales for ATC will gain a large pick up before the film's release due to people wishing to watch the movies all at once.

Paul might not be invited back to whatever is in store for the future of ATC. If the media try's a GB20 boycott campaign and the ATC cast or director get involved that's it for any new ATC stuff I think.
savintheday, deadderek liked this
No reason to walk on egg shells - most people have fond memories of the original films and as long as GB3 is at least a watchable movie, your honor will be restored. Here's hoping that Sony can gag-order the ATC crew into silence. The active fans and chapters should do what Feig did not, and end any questions with a polite "no comment."
deadderek, seekandannoy, timeware and 1 others liked this
My prediction is that the people who did not like ATC will not like GB3

I see so much excitement for GB3. At the same time I am seeing what people want from GB3. Not everyone is going get what they want so as soon as some information starts to come out for GB3 I can see people start to complain.

"It should take place at Ray's parents barn, it should be in NYC like the first 2 movies, it should not be in NYC to be different, it should be a world wide franchise, the new Ghostbusters are teens, there should be no teens, one of the teens is a girl, there should be no girls ghostbusters etc etc."

Why not toss some hate at ATC at the same time
"The 30 second trailer has more excitement in it than all of ATC"

I see statements like "We should not judge GB3 until it comes out" But that was what happened to ATC. People refused to go see it or if they went to see it they went in already hating it.
Sav C liked this
Styrofoam_Guy wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 12:00 am My prediction is that the people who did not like ATC will not like GB3

I see so much excitement for GB3. At the same time I am seeing what people want from GB3. Not everyone is going get what they want so as soon as some information starts to come out for GB3 I can see people start to complain.

"It should take place at Ray's parents barn, it should be in NYC like the first 2 movies, it should not be in NYC to be different, it should be a world wide franchise, the new Ghostbusters are teens, there should be no teens, one of the teens is a girl, there should be no girls ghostbusters etc etc."

Why not toss some hate at ATC at the same time
"The 30 second trailer has more excitement in it than all of ATC"

I see statements like "We should not judge GB3 until it comes out" But that was what happened to ATC. People refused to go see it or if they went to see it they went in already hating it.
I think most people are willing to give GB3 the benefit of the doubt just based on the people involved with it so far (also that it's a true sequel). It's only right that they're finally getting a chance to do this after almost 30 years. There's no guarantee it will be amazing, but I'm optimistic and my ass will be in that seat.

ATC drew criticism before production for a similar reason...the people involved (also that it was a reboot). As soon as the director and cast were announced, we knew exactly what kind of movie we were getting, and unfortunately we were right.
Last edited by savintheday on January 22nd, 2019, 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
seekandannoy liked this
RichardLess wrote: January 21st, 2019, 8:09 pm

I really don't think that's fair. At all. You think this fandom deserves this? there are a lot of Ghostbusters organizations that raise money for good causes. Visit sick kids, like I said. That stuff doesn't get reported on by the media. But because a few idiots spout non sense then it becomes "this is what the fandom is like". And it was a few, relative to the rest of us. Nothing is more important than human rights. You are generalizing. Every fandom has its ugly opinions. Everyone. But to say the bad outweighs the good simply because it gets reported on more than the other? What does that say?
There is. But the people involved with ATC also raise money for good causes. My point is the fandom made excuses and trivialised what happened to ATC because the film wasn't was they wanted. Which allowed the sexist hate to spread as it did. The fandom turned their back on people been attacked in their name. If course they look bad for that
SSJmole wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 1:03 am There is. But the people involved with ATC also raise money for good causes. My point is the fandom made excuses and trivialised what happened to ATC because the film wasn't was they wanted. Which allowed the sexist hate to spread as it did. The fandom turned their back on people been attacked in their name. If course they look bad for that
How do you defend a movie that is bad from people saying it is bad, but for the wrong reasons? If someone saying GB2016 is terrible because women can't be Ghostbusters are you suppose to argue that it wasn't bad because women can't be Ghostbusters, but because of 50 other reasons? That's why there wasn't a response to the sexist comments. Also, Sony pushed the story forward and turned their movie into a political statement. It wasn't just an else worlds movie that happened to have 4 female Ghostbusters, it was a feminist statement. Feig took our beloved franchise and used it and then Sony took it and exaggerated it even more.

The worst part was the trailer. First it says 30 years ago 4 scientists saved the world. So... first off, it wasn't 4 scientists. Now I know they couldn't have said 3 scientists and their hired help, but they could have said 4 heroes. They could have said 4 average heroes. They could have said 4 out of shape shlubs. Nope, they said 4 scientists. So already the trailer proved they knew nothing of the original. Even worse is that this makes it seem as if the movies were related to each other. So fans who saw the trailer go in thinking this is a sequel. I was one of those fans.

Throughout the movie I was waiting for the connection to the original. I thought maybe it would turn out that the government covered up the past movies and they forced the old cast to take new identities. As the movie went on I realized the trailer lied to fans. That annoyed me. Then they shoe horn a connection into the post credits?

So a bunch of fans take out their anger in the form of stupid sexism, but you think we should have defended a movie that lied in its trailer, didn't know or understand the source material on more than a surface level, and whose humor was totally the opposite of the original film (and basically every incarnation since)? What is it was a male cast? Would it be ok to hate the movie then? Maybe the media shouldn't have pushed forward a bunch of twitter and youtube comments. Maybe Feig should have had some control over his cast. He literally said he let the cast take control of his movie and it shows. Again, the interview scene with Kevin was 45 mins of adlib and the best we got was a dog named Mike Hat!!!!!! The scripted parts, written by a woman, were actually pretty good. Oh, but look at me being sexist.

Learn how to be a director Paul Feig!
SSJmole wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 1:03 am
RichardLess wrote: January 21st, 2019, 8:09 pm

There is. But the people involved with ATC also raise money for good causes. My point is the fandom made excuses and trivialised what happened to ATC because the film wasn't was they wanted. Which allowed the sexist hate to spread as it did. The fandom turned their back on people been attacked in their name. If course they look bad for that
"But the people involved with ATC also raise money for good causes"--Hmm. I'm not sure what you are trying to say here? What does that have to do with the media ignoring the good deeds of fans?

I just have to say...I think you are way off base with your accusations and I personally find them kind of offensive. Saying the fandom deserves to be ridiculed in the press because of the actions of a few, is just wrong. Keep in mind that those that were attacked are celebrities. What did you want the fandom to do? Shout down the idiots that were making the rest of us look bad? Defend Leslie Jones against the idiots that attacked her? Because that happened. I saw it happen on this very website. Otherwise I don't know what you expect from fans? Go see a movie some of us didn't like? Spend our hard earned money again again when some of those same cast members turned around and stereotyped the people that didn't like the movie or criticized its existence out of non sexist ideals? Calling us basement dwellers and blah blah blah? You are generalizing the actions of a few and I think it's wrong.

I say something like "Gb fans don't deserve this. They have done charity, raised money, donated their time and resources for good causes" and you come out with "ATC also raised money for good causes" like it invalidates what I'm getting at. Yes it's a good thing all around but how does that relate to Gbfans doing good deeds? And when I say fans I mean all fans. Fans of the movies, the reboot, the cartoons, the video games, whatever.

So I'm not sure what you wanted to happen. Obviously you wanted the movie to be a success. As far as attacking the cast, are you keeping a list of who defend them and who didnt? No? Then it's unfair of you to generalize and say fandom turned their back on them. Damn, I hated this movie and STILL bought a blu ray copy. Why? Because I love this franchise and did my part to keep the flame alive. Don't forget that some of the cast and director weren't exactly angels, yes they were being attacked online. But I work in the industry, you have no idea the support these people get. No idea. That doesn't excuse the attacks by any means but it's not like they were alone and didn't have the tools required to deal with online bullying. That's part and parcel of big blockbusters movies, just for insurance reasons. The studios want their butts covered just incase anything ever happens lawsuit wise.

The movie came out. It failed at the Boxoffice. The Stars were bullied by a relative few morons, some fans came to their defense. Some didn't. The world kept spinning. a GB3 is announced, fans are attacked in the press and you think it's deserved out of some sort of misguided notion that the fans turned their back cast when you know full well that MOST of those fans were against the very idea of a reboot and not sexist. How many more fans needed to come to the defense of the cast for you to feel better about the actions fans took? 10? 200? 1,000? Because we don't know the numbers. It all depends on what you read, when and where you read it. So again, I think you are off base here. You sound as if you are holding onto a grudge.

I believe that the majority of Ghostbuster fans are good people. Obviously, you think otherwise. But please try to rethink your generalizations. It only splits us as fandom further and further apart. Can't we let the healing begin?
err404, Kevin Dawe, back liked this
Wiggyof9 wrote: January 21st, 2019, 3:55 pm
Yet, running down a movie that isn't even made yet is exactly what happened en mass to ATC, Leslie and Feig during, pitch and production.

To the point Leslie got hacked, called a gorilla, and Feig words warped every step of the way. For years this happened to them.
Sav C liked this
RichardLess wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 5:00 am
SSJmole wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 1:03 am

"But the people involved with ATC also raise money for good causes"--Hmm. I'm not sure what you are trying to say here? What does that have to do with the media ignoring the good deeds of fans?

I just have to say...I think you are way off base with your accusations and I personally find them kind of offensive. Saying the fandom deserves to be ridiculed in the press because of the actions of a few, is just wrong. Keep in mind that those that were attacked are celebrities. What did you want the fandom to do? Shout down the idiots that were making the rest of us look bad? Defend Leslie Jones against the idiots that attacked her? Because that happened. I saw it happen on this very website. Otherwise I don't know what you expect from fans? Go see a movie some of us didn't like? Spend our hard earned money again again when some of those same cast members turned around and stereotyped the people that didn't like the movie or criticized its existence out of non sexist ideals? Calling us basement dwellers and blah blah blah? You are generalizing the actions of a few and I think it's wrong.

I say something like "Gb fans don't deserve this. They have done charity, raised money, donated their time and resources for good causes" and you come out with "ATC also raised money for good causes" like it invalidates what I'm getting at. Yes it's a good thing all around but how does that relate to Gbfans doing good deeds? And when I say fans I mean all fans. Fans of the movies, the reboot, the cartoons, the video games, whatever.

So I'm not sure what you wanted to happen. Obviously you wanted the movie to be a success. As far as attacking the cast, are you keeping a list of who defend them and who didnt? No? Then it's unfair of you to generalize and say fandom turned their back on them. Damn, I hated this movie and STILL bought a blu ray copy. Why? Because I love this franchise and did my part to keep the flame alive. Don't forget that some of the cast and director weren't exactly angels, yes they were being attacked online. But I work in the industry, you have no idea the support these people get. No idea. That doesn't excuse the attacks by any means but it's not like they were alone and didn't have the tools required to deal with online bullying. That's part and parcel of big blockbusters movies, just for insurance reasons. The studios want their butts covered just incase anything ever happens lawsuit wise.

The movie came out. It failed at the Boxoffice. The Stars were bullied by a relative few morons, some fans came to their defense. Some didn't. The world kept spinning. a GB3 is announced, fans are attacked in the press and you think it's deserved out of some sort of misguided notion that the fans turned their back cast when you know full well that MOST of those fans were against the very idea of a reboot and not sexist. How many more fans needed to come to the defense of the cast for you to feel better about the actions fans took? 10? 200? 1,000? Because we don't know the numbers. It all depends on what you read, when and where you read it. So again, I think you are off base here. You sound as if you are holding onto a grudge.

I believe that the majority of Ghostbuster fans are good people. Obviously, you think otherwise. But please try to rethink your generalizations. It only splits us as fandom further and further apart. Can't we let the healing begin?
Except your doing it again. With terms like "relative few morons" anything to lessen the importance of it. I'm saying the ATC cast did good but that wasn't mentioned when the fans attacked them. The fans as whole didn't do enough.

Same stuff attacked star wars fans even ones like me who hate new stuff rallyed in a a way where the media knew not all star wars fans are like that.

Ghostbusters fans are still attacking them to this day. Actually started supporting the Channing Tatum reboot film , and just go "oh it was only a few " and trivialised it in a way that lead to real life attacks , I've mentioned a teenage girl in my filter getting assaulted for been a girl who likes Ghostbusters from older fans. Let me guess that was just trival to you too right? They can assult her because fans who aren't them did good deeds right? It's disgusting and sick how you are excusing what they did to multiple women.

No not all Ghostbusters fans are bad , the ghosbuststers fandom as a whole though has done bad and allowed hatred to be targeted in their name as the exuse all the sexist crap as "only a few" and then argue most just hate it's a reboot when that wasn't was what happening.

So yes the fandom deserves the brush it's painted with. Sorry it does.
I had a heart to heart with a female GB at a recent convention. She’s part of a group that dressed up as busters from ATC. Awesome suit, but I didn’t see her pack.

Anyways, I asked her if it really was bad for her during the 2016’s release and she opened my eyes a bit. It was really tough for her to fit in with other busters because of the hate coming out from the film. And she wasn’t judged just for being female, but because she was just a fan of the movie. She says it’s improved a lot back then, but I realized you didn’t have to be sexist dick to be a dick to fans of the reboot.
SSJmole, robbritton, Kingpin liked this
SSJmole wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 6:31 am
RichardLess wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 5:00 am

Except your doing it again. With terms like "relative few morons" anything to lessen the importance of it. I'm saying the ATC cast did good but that wasn't mentioned when the fans attacked them. The fans as whole didn't do enough.

Same stuff attacked star wars fans even ones like me who hate new stuff rallyed in a a way where the media knew not all star wars fans are like that.

Ghostbusters fans are still attacking them to this day. Actually started supporting the Channing Tatum reboot film , and just go "oh it was only a few " and trivialised it in a way that lead to real life attacks , I've mentioned a teenage girl in my filter getting assaulted for been a girl who likes Ghostbusters from older fans. Let me guess that was just trival to you too right? They can assult her because fans who aren't them did good deeds right? It's disgusting and sick how you are excusing what they did to multiple women.

No not all Ghostbusters fans are bad , the ghosbuststers fandom as a whole though has done bad and allowed hatred to be targeted in their name as the exuse all the sexist crap as "only a few" and then argue most just hate it's a reboot when that wasn't was what happening.

How dare you accuse me of thinking a girl getting assaulted is trivial. Or that I'm exusing anyone's bad behaviour. You don't know me and I've stated MULTIPLE TIMES that this kind of behaviour is vile.

I'm done with you. You're a terrible person and I'm done with you. I'm not a mod, and I'm sure I'll get downvoted or something for this, but based on this post, I believe you should be banned unless you apologize. At no point have I done anything but express disgust and remorse for anyone bullied because of their beliefs.

If you aren't banned or don't apologize, I'll just be blocking you. How dare you.
Kevin Dawe liked this
RichardLess wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 7:09 am
SSJmole wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 6:31 am

How dare you accuse me of thinking a girl getting assaulted is trivial. Or that I'm exusing anyone's bad behaviour. You don't know me and I've stated MULTIPLE TIMES that this kind of behaviour is vile.

I'm done with you. You're a terrible person and I'm done with you. I'm not a mod, and I'm sure I'll get downvoted or something for this, but based on this post, I believe you should be banned unless you apologize. At no point have I done anything but express disgust and remorse for anyone bullied because of their beliefs.

If you aren't banned or don't apologize, I'll just be blocking you. How dare you.
Now people saying the fans should have done more should be banned? no.

If anyone should appologize its fans like you who make out it was such a small number it didn't matter. It was a huge number. I know it , you know it , the people they attacked know it.

You making threads to help spread the rumour that it wasn't a huge number and they were justified as you think the movie sucks should get banned. Again the movie is 74% on rotten tomatoes so clearly it was a good film objectivity speaking as 74% of people who critique the film found it good.

You know exactly what your doing and acting offended when people say the fans should do more or acting like they should be banned is exactly the problem and the toxic attiude that's hurt the fandom to the degree it's looked at it like it is. I'm offended you trivialise the actual victims to pretend like your the victim and they are the bad guys. It's disgusting
My impression is that a small number of FANS became hostile. A large number of TROLLS, who were NOT part of the fan base, did most of the damage.

To be honest, I feel no responsibility to apologize for anyone else's behavior. In my mind the cast and Feig were unprofessional in how they dealt with the backlash and at that point became "mutual combatants."

Leslie Jones was paid to act in a movie. She was not some random cosplayer or a little girl who took flack at a Halloween party - she is supposedly a professional actress with an agent and an entire studio to handle PR. It was a JOB, and that job is over. None of us owe anything to Leslie Jones.

Feig set out with an agenda. Not one of equality, but one of "getting back'" at adult male GB fans for some generalized slight that most of us were apparently guilty of. He said as much, I'm not making this up. Personally, I was highly offended to be generalized, insulted, and excluded by Paul Feig, and I have no sympathy for him either.

Some of the even-tempered backlash was DESERVED. Many fans were painted with the broad brush of sexism and that is wrong, too. I for one think that GhostCorps owes the fans a little peace offering after how they treated us in 2016. If you MUST blame someone, blame Sony.
There was a lot of painting with broad brushes on both sides. We as a community have never been perfect, and the summer of 2016 (and the year before that) exposed an ugly face that was lurking beneath a Ghostbusters-logo emblazoned surface.

I think 2020 is a chance for use to make a change in how we conduct ourselves, and try make up for the mistakes of our and our community's past. The first step going forward is acknowledging and accepting that the reboot/Answer the Call/2016 is an official part of the franchise, like it or not - it'll always be a part of us. We don't have to be a fan of it, but there is nothing to be gained from arguing about it or slagging it off any more than already has.

To use an old phrase, "either take a shit, or get off the damn pot".

The next step, is gearing ourselves towards Ghostbusters 2020... But maybe try to cool down the obsessiveness that contributed to what happened in 2015/2016 - It'll also help us reduce any disappointment we have if we don't enjoy 2020 as much as we hope we will.

I'm not saying let's all join hands and sing "Kumbaya", but maybe a few changes in our approach and habits might help thin out that wall of negative psycho-magnatheric ectoplasm encasing this forum and the wider community.
Sav C, jpetrutis81, Alphagaia and 5 others liked this
montclaire wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 2:57 pm Feig set out with an agenda. Not one of equality, but one of "getting back'" at adult male GB fans for some generalized slight that most of us were apparently guilty of. He said as much, I'm not making this up. Personally, I was highly offended to be generalized, insulted, and excluded by Paul Feig, and I have no sympathy for him either.
I'm having trouble vwith you whole post full of cumulative assumptions, but this seems to be the core believe and I want to point out how much this doesn't make sense to me.
He set out with an agenda to get back at GB fans? He made the movie to spite us? How does that work? Sony, Reitman, Dan and all happily go along with this and throw 144 million at it, Feigs career is hanging on this and he just want to spite the fans?

If we all did less of this hyperbole, we all would get along a lot more. You can dislike a movie without making the director a villain.

The backlash consisted if a lot of mysognists and trolls comments. We have seen this happen again and again, also by doctor who. He attacked them, and acknowledged he understood real fans (the biggest group) had legit doubts. Media had a field day ofcourse and trolls did their best to warp content. You say you have proof he said he made the movie to spite us.

I'd love to see some proof for such a bold statement, because to me it feels like you just dislike the fact it's a reboot, and believed some troll that Feig must be a villain to GBfans.
Sav C, robbritton, Kingpin and 1 others liked this

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]