Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By GhostGuy
Technically, J. Edgar Hoover should have been the one to show up and destroy humanity.
By Zack
Not really I think. I think Gozer was being a little nice giving them the benefit of the doubt not knowing exactly what was being asked of them at first. I guess not so much being nice but playing around with them at that point. As soon as it's explained and they're all clear on it, "Don't think of anything, we've only got one shot at this" while in the background, Ray's mind is already clearly wandering and immediately and instantly, "the choice is made"

Plus a giant J Edgar Hoover probably wouldn't have been too funny or marketable. :walterpeck:;) That's what I think though.
By enchanted unicorn
GhostGuy wrote:Technically, J. Edgar Hoover should have been the one to show up and destroy humanity.
I've thought that before too. but how would hoover destroy humanity...discuss that!
By GhostGuy
enchanted unicorn wrote:
GhostGuy wrote:Technically, J. Edgar Hoover should have been the one to show up and destroy humanity.
I've thought that before too. but how would hoover destroy humanity...discuss that!

Obviously it would be a giant J. Edgar Hoover. I mean the Marshmallow Man by all rights should have been an inch tall if he were brought to life off one of the packages. :-)
Last edited by GhostGuy on January 26th, 2009, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Boomerjinks
Run for your lives, New York City is being attacked by an 80-foot Ed Koch!

"How'm I doin'? How'm I doin'?"
By Michael Scott
I prefer to think that Ray has already thought of Mr. Stay Puft by the time Peter is explaining it. You can see the contemplative look on his face right after Gozer says, "Choose the destructor".
By RavenEffect
Michael Scott wrote:I prefer to think that Ray has already thought of Mr. Stay Puft by the time Peter is explaining it. You can see the contemplative look on his face right after Gozer says, "Choose the destructor".
I think I like that explanation. I've never heard anybody guess that before, but I like that. It makes more sense, I think, than assuming Gozer gave them the benefit of the doubt when Peter mentions J. Edgar Hoover. After all, would Gozer really give them the benefit of the doubt for anything? That seems doubtful given what we know about Gozer.
By Quendor
Maybe the choice has to be at least somewhat intentional not just some random passing thought? I doubt Gozer would want to turn into whatever just happened to randomly go through someone's head. By allowing some room for contemplation, Gozer can turn into whatever is most fitting for that society(person). Remember, Gozer is (to some degree) giving the people what they want (at least in his/her/its mind). A cult worshipped Gozer, wanting to bring about destruction, as did many other in ancient times. Each society wanted to be destroyed in an apocalypse tailored made for them (apparently being a god of marketing as well as one of destruction). Gozer, not realizing (or caring) about the differences between the cult members and New Yorkers at large, was going to destroy them in a way that best fit that society. I think it's been discussed before, that New York was being attacked by a marketing icon, and how appropriate that seemed (perhaps on the DVD? I forget). J. Edgar Hoover wasn't very fitting, so I think that has something to do with it, at least.

I do like the explanation of Ray having decided before Peter says anything.
By Busterchris
How about when gozer is talking through the tepmle, when i was a kid, I thought she or what ever it wanted to be at the time, was saying "Juice and Perrish" and ray saying "what do you mean Juice, we don't understand" keep in mind i was like 4 - 5 years old. I also thought when Gozer says "the traver has come" she was saying the Troubler has come.

Okay back on topic now
By ted+annette
Run for your lives, New York City is being attacked by an 80-foot Ed Koch!

"How'm I doin'? How'm I doin'?"
:lol: Don't worry Boomerjinks I got that reference! "Don't mind me I'm just lookin' for a nosh."

And yes obviously J Edgar Hoover should've been summoned but we have to give some logical leeway. I mean this is a movie where ex-SNLers fight ghosts so it ain't a documentary!

I've always found this to be the biggest goof moment in the film. Not just the fact that Gozer conveniently ignores Venkman's notion of a giant J Edgar Hoover but also when he yells out to Gozer "Woah nobody choosed anything!"
By DocLathropBrown
I don't think J. Edgar would have been giant -- the Stay Puft character in the film is supposed to be a giant, no? Or am I just confused?

It's too bad Ray didn't think of something non-sentient and harmless. Had he thought of a feather (whether it be giant or not), it's not like that's a form that Gozer could do much damage in.

Or am I way off base? :whatever:
By Ghostbuster1701
Hey Peter never said a giant J. edgar hoover, maybe he was thinking of a midget J edgar hoover, and then he'd appear and bite their ankles, that's what he shoulda thought of :whatever:
By Quendor
This has gotten me curious about the whole pre-chosen form thing. Did Gozer initially appear as the cultists wanted, or as some "stock" form for when no one was in the active position of choosing a form (assuming Gozer was not expecting to change form again).

And going back to Hoover...it could have been worse. It could have been Nixon!
By wesker87
btw in the german version of the movie peter mentions joseph stalin as a form for the traveller.
By corwin1720
wesker87 wrote:btw in the german version of the movie peter mentions joseph stalin as a form for the traveller.
Now that is messed up!!!!! hahaha Joseph Stalin!!!! HAHAHA AHHHH RUN NEW YORK!!! COMMUNISM IS COMING HIDE YOUR CHILDREN!!!! hahahaha ahhh....Im not very funny am I? :walterpeck:

Anyway, I think Ray was already thinking it to be honest. From the point where Gozer said "Choose the destructor" I think it "just popped in there!" And Ray was "Bye, Bye," What have you got left Egon?
By Raystantz Italy
in the italian version Peter say: "If we think of Adolf Hitler....."
Hoover....Stalin....Hitler........that would be a huge horror movie!
By corwin1720
Raystantz Italy wrote:in the italian version Peter say: "If we think of Adolf Hitler....."
Hoover....Stalin....Hitler........that would be a huge horror movie!
That would be a crazy movie.....then we would have to get Patton, Macarthur, and Eisenhower. Now that would be a hell of a movie. Them all fighting in Time Square......or Slime Square....or....Times Square Slime!!!! Hell had Stay Puff in it too!!!!! I think we are on to something!!!!.....okay okay Im stopping Im not funny haha :whatever:

I am glad Ray did think of stay pufft, its a shame tho that to this date we still dont have stay pufft marshmellows on our grocery stores shelves!!! :angryvigo:
    Hasbro Ghostbusters

Is anybody making Slime Blowers that would fit the[…]

Beautiful!! I'm getting this even if finances don[…]

Super helpful thanks. I will read properly when […]

I just couldn't help myself and had to add texture[…]