Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By mburkit
Okay, I wasn't sure where else to put this where enough people would see it, but I have a some questions about groups that start local Ghostbusters "Franchise".

According to the community, what is needed for a franchise (I'm pretty sure the community is pretty easy going when it comes to the formation of franchises).

Also, I'd like to hear what other franchises do as a group? I know the Arizona GB's do charity work, but what does everyone else do? Just get together at conventions and Halloween?

Just curious, because we might try to get one started in my area, but I wanted to see what is the standard things others do before we do anything.

~ Matt
By Boomerjinks
I have personally vowed to never, ever, hand out business cards or do the whole "incorporated" thing.

The FCGBs, ergo the Denver GBs have always been, and always will be, a group of friends that hang out and every once in a while suit up to go make people unsure about their grip on reality.

We don't go to graveyards and take pictures, we don't go to childrens hospitals to show them the box we'll put them in when they die, we like to confuse people.
By mburkit
But they might like to decorate that box!!! (Okay, that was bad, ending jokes in 5, 4, 3, 2 ,1 . . . )

Anyway, I just want a feel for what other people do. I have a day job so as far I'm concerned, I won't be handing out business cards (don't need people getting confused if I'm a Therapist or a Psycho); but I wouldn't mind have someone to suit up with for random events/Halloween. I'm just looking to see what others do out there.

~ Matt
By Boomerjinks
Do it. But make sure you balance out your ghostbusting with air hockey, laser tag, Mario Kart, and illegal fireworks.
By Charlie Richter
I need to go back to the east coast and get to some conventions, i have no mates over where i am at the moment that are into building packs, or any props for that matter. Boomers 104% correct, air hockey is a must.
By jettajeffro
Our goal is to give a reason behind going out in gear. We've certainly spent enough time on our equipment to not just use them at Halloween or a con. Charity work obviously was the best route. The 501st was a good model for that. Everyone loves Ghostbusters, which we believe has helped us be as busy as we have been over the last couple of years. Also the movies being shown on tv somewhere every week helps as well, helps keep the franchise fresh in people's minds. Luckily we've gotten a good resume built up and alot of local organizations recommend us to each other. We research every organization we work with to make sure they are legitimate and have a good history. The gratitude we get from people, especially children is what keeps us wanting to do as much as can. Most kids are more interested in how our stuff would work if it were real and luckily not what happened to Timmy in the hospital room next to them. Like with the children's cancer benefit we're doing soon, our goal is to put a smile on their face and put their minds on something else. With most adults, we end up making them flashback to their youth and always hear about how they used to run around with a toy pack, or had to get their kids ones back then.

We have no interest in the roleplaying aspect, and are not an official GBI franchise. Almost none of us believe in ghosts. We really just want to give people a better impression of Ghostheads as more than crazies and people trying to win costume contests. Our groups grown alot and we all hang out alot, that's why we actually prefer the term fan club. We've got a great group of people and it's Ghostbusters that brought us together.

I wish you the best in making a team mburkit. We would love to see more teams doing charity work and plenty do, but you need to express your GB fandom how you choose, the main thing is to have fun with it, not everyone on the boards have to approve of it. Just don't put your gear on and wave around signs for condos on the street corner.
By mburkit
Well first off, I really respect what you guys are doing. Using what you love to help and support the community is great. I always read your teams' threads; I enjoy the pictures and the message you send.

I am definitely not going to be roleplaying. As far as I'm concerned, I'll wear an extra badge on my uniform and I believe the community work is a good cause.

I guess I started this thread to get an idea of what everyone else views the purpose of a "franchise" or fan club or a local GB group. What does everyone expect of these groups? I'm probably making a bigger deal out of this idea then I really need to, but it's interesting to see how you guys feel about this stuff.

Thanks for the input so far guys!

~ Matt
By Boomerjinks
jettajeffro wrote: We have no interest in the roleplaying aspect, and are not an official GBI franchise. Almost none of us believe in ghosts. We really just want to give people a better impression of Ghostheads as more than crazies and people trying to win costume contests. Our groups grown alot and we all hang out alot, that's why we actually prefer the term fan club. We've got a great group of people and it's Ghostbusters that brought us together.
Hear hear!
By dr_logan
Yeah I've always thought about the idea of a franchise. I have seen many do charity work., which i respect. I've always thought about the fun aspect of a franchise, I wasn't certain if it was necessary to go through GBI, or if we just get a group together make one up for pure fun.

Either way, many of us have jobs, and what not, money is at a premium these days. So the requirements for a franchise, as well as a level of committment obviously go hand in hand, but if something fun can be pulled off inexpensively with regard to everyone's time, and resources, that would be cool.
By jettajeffro
AJ is working on a franchise portion of GBfans so keep an eye out for that in the future.

It would be nice for Sony to recognize us someday like Lucasfilm did the 501st and we would all get to do official Sony promotions in place of the hired guys they had at San Diego last year, however we would probably have the same kinds of costuming standards. We might get told we need 4 khakis, 2 blues, and 2 slime blowers at an event. We don't have to worry about that kind of stuff yet.

Getting gear together is alot easier with a team, so focus on getting a group together first then work on the props. Most of our team members each made their own stuff, then after joining up we've all helped each other improve their gear so we are all get to the point of matching closely so everyone knows we're one group.

On the note of hanging out, I've always believed what made the movie so good is that you could feel a sense of the comaraderie the guys had in being friends before the movie. That really came through and people picked up on that aspect of the film. I believe by having your team hang out while not in gear helps you be alot more comfortable at events and people are more comfortable with you. If you're nervous and talking about how you caught a class 5 last night, I doubt you'll be invited back to an event.
    The Video Game Lifegard

Chris Hunt in the Facebook Group 3D Printed Ghostb[…]

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]