Discuss the new Ghostbusters movie to be released in 2016, directed by Paul Feig.
By pferreira1983
#4893320
SpaceBallz wrote:Are studios out of touch with their audiences?

...yes. Yes they are.
Best answer ever! :mrgreen:

Alphagaia wrote:I don't think Timewar is denying global warming, he just does not believe we are completely responsible for it.
We need electric cars.

JurorNo.2 wrote:Assuming that's true for the sake of argument, then why do you care if it gets remade? Isn't that what people always say, remake the bad ones, not the good ones?
Some films are so mediocre they're not worth bothering being remade.

JurorNo.2 wrote:No it's not a franchise, but it is a fondly remembered comedy.
Yeah I was joking because I can't see what profit making a remake of The Great Outdoors could bring in. Unless you like recycling older films why bother?

Alphagaia wrote:This is going to turn into another one of Timeware's conspiracy threads, right?

Greaaaaaat.
Yep and he's going to bring up evidence that will be dismissed by you for probably being the actual truth. :wink:

JurorNo.2 wrote:I heard Milo liked it...
Cassie Jaye makes a documentary that supports men so are you saying everyone who likes the movie doc are bad people because this type of film isn't allowed? :shock:

JurorNo.2 wrote:I couldn't care less. He used the original Ghostbusters to hurt people. I will never consider him a fan. Being a fan ought to mean something.


SpaceBallz wrote:Well what we're you getting at when you said he was a fan of the documentary? You brought his name up. If he likes something that automatically makes it bad? I bet he enjoys cheeseburgers too.
Considering how Milo is seen as the ultimate evil among feminists I'd really like to know how he used the original movie to hurt people? Is this because some Twitter trolls who friended him attacked Leslie Jones? He wasn't part of that as far as I'm aware. He disliked the reboot movie as did everyone but launched a protest against it as any fan of any other movie franchise would if they were hardcore about it. Of course doing that is a bit much but not sure how he alone has used the original movie to hurt people.

JurorNo.2 wrote:But there are many feminists who do indeed care about these issues. Milo and his ilk fear monger about feminism to a ridiculous degree.
The most vocal, disturbed feminists are unfortunately the ones that get most attention in social media. Those I believe are the people Milo is fighting against.

SpaceBallz wrote:Have you guys seen "The Red Pill" documentary? I think everybody should. It's very good.
I haven't seen it but I can't believe the uproar it's caused. Cassie Jaye makes a documentary that supports men in a positive way and immediately feminists and the mainstream media call it misogynistic and want it banned. It really shows how one sided mainstream media has become.

Everyone goes on about death threats towards women involved in 'progressive' media but when this poor woman tries to allow people to see the other side she's attacked:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/the-red-pill-the-movie-about-men-that-feminists-didnt-want-you-t/

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/nov/11/cassie-jaye-red-pill-feminism-mens-rights
Don't you just love those double standards by feminists. So much for equality... :roll:

Kingpin wrote:So I guess what I'm trying to ask is, please be a bit more creative than "the liberals/the conservatives". :)
I keep being labelled the alt-left and the al-right. Maybe there's something wrong with my keyboard? :lol:
User avatar
By JurorNo.2
#4893323
pferreira1983 wrote:Those I believe are the people Milo is fighting against.


The only thing he's fighting against is his own obscurity, lol.
User avatar
By JurorNo.2
#4893328
pferreira1983 wrote:Yeah I wish I could say the same thing about those on the other side as well who have a social media presence. Ha, ha!


Meanwhile, in other news, a Ghostbuster was recently included on Time's 100 Most Influential People.
:) http://time.com/collection/2017-time-100/4736219/leslie-jones/
User avatar
By Kingpin
Moderator
#4893336
pferreira1983 wrote:Considering how Milo is seen as the ultimate evil among feminists


I don't know about "ultimate evil", but he's generally considered a douchebag asshole. He hasn't just stirred trouble in relation to the Ghostbusters reboot, he's made a name for himself for being generally intolerant regarding a number of issues (transgender rights, gay rights, feminism in general, Islam - to name some of the more publicised incidents).

There isn't some conspiracy to discredit him, he's earned people's ire by generally being a terrible attention-seeking human being.

pferreira1983 wrote:He disliked the reboot movie as did everyone


You and I clearly remember things differently. :)

pferreira1983 wrote:I keep being labelled the alt-left and the al-right. Maybe there's something wrong with my keyboard? :lol:


I don't always agree that because it's been done to you it means it's fine to do it in return, I'd never defend someone using a racist epithet even if they themselves had been called one. Rise above them, take the moral high road! :)
User avatar
By Alphagaia
#4893356
pferreira1983 wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:This is going to turn into another one of Timeware's conspiracy threads, right?

Greaaaaaat.
Yep and he's going to bring up evidence that will be dismissed by you for probably being the actual truth. :wink: :


As seems to be a recurring theme for our conversations and to quote Kingpin: You and I clearly remember things differently. :)

But since you yourself already placed 'probably' before 'actual truth', I see you at least doubting his evidence as well.
By pferreira1983
#4893523
JurorNo.2 wrote:Meanwhile, in other news, a Ghostbuster was recently included on Time's 100 Most Influential People.
Influential People translates into people with the most power. I don't see Leslie Jones is influential at all. Wouldn't mind some suggestions?

Kingpin wrote:There isn't some conspiracy to discredit him, he's earned people's ire by generally being a terrible attention-seeking human being.
The two ironies I can think of is 1) he himself is gay so I would think he knows what's he talking about and 2) not all the time but occasionally he's right in what he says although he sometimes tells the kind of truth people don't wish to hear.

Kingpin wrote:You and I clearly remember things differently. :)
Apologies, a small minority liked the reboot.

Kingpin wrote:I don't always agree that because it's been done to you it means it's fine to do it in return, I'd never defend someone using a racist epithet even if they themselves had been called one. Rise above them, take the moral high road! :)
What I find funny is people are quick to label me one thing based on one comment I make without getting to know me. On YouTube comments someone will accuse me of being alt-left when in fact I agree with them while on Facebook someone I'm Facebook friends with like David Wise will attack me for being alt-right because I made one comment saying that sometimes Milo is correct in his views.

People seem to attack others over social media because they take extreme sides (Wise, YTs etc) without understanding that some people like myself can be in the middle. It just goes to show that unless you bother to speak to someone directly face to face you're assuming and as I was told at a previous job assuming is the 'mother of all f***ups'.

Alphagaia wrote:But since you yourself already placed 'probably' before 'actual truth', I see you at least doubting his evidence as well.
I'm not saying I totally think Timeware is correct. While Feig and Sarkeesian know each other I don't see any evidence to say they both together orchestrated feminist propaganda as part of their masterplan. Sure Feig was pressured from Dippold, the studio head and maybe some of his feminist friends but it was mostly down to Feig at the end of the day. If feminists are praising the movie that came after the announcement, when the film was in production. My point is that it's worth listening to Timeware because some of the info he's compiled is useful in understanding Paul Feig's social media contacts.

Not sure if you're aware but The Simpsons recently aired an episode make fun of people like Sarkeesian, Feig, Emma Watson, Joss Whedon etc. Apparently social justice people haven't taken kindly to this negative portrayal of them which is just fine by me. It's good to see The Simpsons back to being a better show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8M2tg2RkIQ&index=1&list=FLcC1fCBanv8346UpnC5mNyA

My favourite bit is at 2:42, perfect satire at the people I just mentioned! :mrgreen:
User avatar
By Kingpin
Moderator
#4893534
pferreira1983 wrote:he himself is gay so I would think he knows what's he talking about and


Milo has been noted as suggesting gay rights were "detrimental to humanity", and that gay men "should go back into the closet", that being gay is "aberrant" and "a lifestyle choice guaranteed to bring (gay people) pain and unhappiness".

He may be gay, but he does not speak for the gay community, for the lack of a better word, he's a traitor to it, lending support to the worst of the popular talking points employed by the anti-gay rights movement.

And as noted before, he has used similar intolerant rhetoric towards the transgender community.

pferreira1983 wrote:2) not all the time but occasionally he's right in what he says although he sometimes tells the kind of truth people don't wish to hear.


He echoes the sentiment and opinions that's often popular with people who object to socially-progressive movements, that doesn't actually make him right, and it makes whatever "truths" he supposedly exposes of dubious quality as just how "true" they are can be openly debated/questioned.

He's an attention-seeking mouthpiece with the morals of pond scum, he is not someone any reasonable person should consider a friend, hero, role model or representative.

pferreira1983 wrote:that some people like myself can be in the middle.


If I'm being honest, I wouldn't describe you as being centralist, based off of our previous conversations here... I'm afraid I've gotten the vibe you leaned more to the right than the left.

pferreira1983 wrote:It's good to see The Simpsons back to being a better show


A single dubious skit doesn't make up for what might be close to ten years of mediocrity on The Simpsons.
User avatar
By JurorNo.2
#4893555
pferreira1983 wrote:Apologies, a small minority liked the reboot.


Well that's OK, we're in good company ;):

“I love the new movie with the ladies as well–spectacular. The problem was that it just cost too much to be commercially successful. The ladies were just spectacular though–I really enjoyed it.” – Dan Aykroyd on Ghostbusters (2016), for Faces Magazine, May/June 2017.


I'm Facebook friends with like David Wise will attack me for being alt-right


Wait, David Wise actually attacked you? Wow! I mean I'm sure it wasn't fun at the time, but that's still pretty cool! :crunch:
User avatar
By SpaceBallz
#4893591
JurorNo.2 wrote:
“I love the new movie with the ladies as well–spectacular. The problem was that it just cost too much to be commercially successful. The ladies were just spectacular though–I really enjoyed it.” – Dan Aykroyd on Ghostbusters (2016), for Faces Magazine, May/June 2017.



“I don't think we will ever have formal contact with any alien species out there, especially after 9/11"
– Dan Aykroyd
User avatar
By Alphagaia
#4893592
Well..., so far, he is not wrong. :P
User avatar
By JurorNo.2
#4893622
SpaceBallz wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:


“I don't think we will ever have formal contact with any alien species out there, especially after 9/11"
– Dan Aykroyd


Can we update that to "especially after the 2016 election"? Hehehehe.

Anyway, I have always maintained that if there are aliens, they probably want nothing to do with us. A lot of scientists postulate the same.
User avatar
By Alphagaia
#4893628
SpaceBallz wrote:Aliens: Where are they, and do they want to have sex with us?


Different Dan (writer of Alien) says hell yes.
User avatar
By JurorNo.2
#4893659
SpaceBallz wrote:Aliens: Where are they, and do they want to have sex with us?


Probably, but they won't respect our planetary resources in the morning.
By pferreira1983
#4893738
Kingpin wrote:He may be gay, but he does not speak for the gay community, for the lack of a better word, he's a traitor to it, lending support to the worst of the popular talking points employed by the anti-gay rights movement.

And as noted before, he has used similar intolerant rhetoric towards the transgender community.
Like I said a lot of well known political celebrities talk rubbish so I can't agree with everything he says. I do feel that transgender has become a fashion now and not an identity but he still overreacts like most left people.

Kingpin wrote:He echoes the sentiment and opinions that's often popular with people who object to socially-progressive movements, that doesn't actually make him right, and it makes whatever "truths" he supposedly exposes of dubious quality as just how "true" they are can be openly debated/questioned.
That of course is your opinion but anyone who challenges the social justice idiots he criticises is fine in my book. While I don't wish to be in the dark ages I also don't want to get to the point where wearing a purple t-shirt brings a social media movement against me. Actually we're already there as my Simpsons clip just showed but in your opinion I know you'll say 'oh Simpsons is unreliable today anyway'.

Kingpin wrote:He's an attention-seeking mouthpiece with the morals of pond scum, he is not someone any reasonable person should consider a friend, hero, role model or representative.
If I was a Paul Feig fan like you I'd probably agree, unfortunately for you I'm not which is just fine for me.

Kingpin wrote:If I'm being honest, I wouldn't describe you as being centralist, based off of our previous conversations here... I'm afraid I've gotten the vibe you leaned more to the right than the left.
And you seem far left based on everything you've said. Isn't it fun labelling people Kingpin? :roll:

No I can say absolutely I'm in the middle and just happy that way thanks. :wink:

Kingpin wrote:A single dubious skit doesn't make up for what might be close to ten years of mediocrity on The Simpsons.
Ha, ha! Triggered are ya? Your comment proves my point above exactly before I even read it! :lol:

timeware wrote:Don't know anything about his politics, but I still have "a casette tape" of the donkey kong jams that was offered by nintendo powers club nintendo back in the day.
Such a joker. No I'm not talking about the composer David Wise. I know almost nothing about that guy.

JurorNo.2 wrote:Wait, David Wise actually attacked you? Wow! I mean I'm sure it wasn't fun at the time, but that's still pretty cool! :crunch:
It's a long story and would take forever to get into. Pretty much everything I've said on David's FB page he's criticised me for. I tend to find it doesn't take much for me to annoy him, he's that kind of person, difficult to like. He likes to point out how dumb I am in his response posts and says I need to learn better 'reading comprehension skills' on a post where I was right and he was actually wrong. This is typical David Wise, as I said meeting or talking to your heroes isn't always what's it cracked up to be. It's upsetting for me someone I am a fan of treats me this way but... :( Like people such as Kingpin and Alpha he very much leans to the left. His constant denial of Trump as President (because Clinton would be better???) as well as the constant FB notification posts I get where he compares Trump to Richard Nixon are getting extremely tiring.

Recently while ranting about Trump again and me saying Clinton couldn't have done better he called me out to Doctor Who writer Rob Shearman and started posting a couple of previous FB messages where I argued once Milo was correct about something so this triggered so Wise whined to Shearman I'm apparently alt-right, blah blah blah. I explained this isn't the case and whatever, didn't get an apology as usual for his rude behaviour and I'm one of his fans. :shock:

As a rule Wise:
- doesn't like anybody who's not at least a bit left
- doesn't like people who show they know more than him on his FB posts
- is really fanboy snobbish about stuff so you are wrong to like stuff he doesn't like
- must hate Trump and think Hilary Clinton is absolutely amazing
- can't say you like any other iteration of TMNT unless it's the 80s cartoon
- don't post spoilers even by accident or he'll swear at you

I'm sure there's more. I have to say though I'm quite happy with the way I handled David recently.

SpaceBallz wrote:
“I don't think we will ever have formal contact with any alien species out there, especially after 9/11"
– Dan Aykroyd
Yep I know. :lol:
User avatar
By Kingpin
Moderator
#4893749
pferreira1983 wrote:I do feel that transgender has become a fashion now and not an identity...


I'll only agree with that to the extent that the transgender community are starting to get proper recognition, I disagree however that it's "become fashion", that remarks feels like it trivialises the transgender community somewhat.

pferreira1983 wrote:That of course is your opinion but anyone who challenges the social justice idiots he criticises is fine in my book.


So you're saying you're fine with some of the things people like Milo and Trump say so long as it challenges the people you feel are "social justice idiots"? I want to make sure I'm understanding you fully.

As for the Simpsons, yeah, I admit I didn't care for the SJW/fembot gag, but it's a free country, and they've roasted liberal and conservative alike in the years gone past. I just don't find the show funny anymore, or at the very least all that frequently, when I used to really enjoy it.

pferreira1983 wrote:If I was a Paul Feig fan like you I'd probably agree, unfortunately for you I'm not which is just fine for me.


You don't have to be a Paul Feig fan to be able to condemn Milo and what he stands for.

pferreira1983 wrote:And you seem far left based on everything you've said. Isn't it fun labelling people Kingpin?


I lean right on some issues and left on others, and I suppose the ones I speak more actively on would be considered "issues of liberality". I consider myself either as conservative with a liberal streak, or liberal with a conservative streak. If it helps label me better, I try to take the "live and let live" approach as best I can... I tend to prefer government measures, laws and social movements that improve people's lives, and help those who may have been targets of prejudice in the past, over measures that intentionally or unintentionally blight lives, and embolden prejudice.

pferreira1983 wrote:No I can say absolutely I'm in the middle and just happy that way thanks. :wink:


You may think that, but you've not convinced me, sir.

pferreira1983 wrote:as well as the constant FB notification posts I get where he compares Trump to Richard Nixon are getting extremely tiring.
[/quote]

Just a suggestion, but you could always unfollow him? Though, maybe you secretly like to be triggered? ;) It's obvious we both like to talk.
User avatar
By timeware
#4893935
Just a suggestion, but you could always unfollow him? Though, maybe you secretly like to be triggered? ;) It's obvious we both like to talk.


Celebs really suffer from TDS on a continual basis, Dr. Carson cant prescribe enough pills.
By Davideverona
#4893938
Hi, I'm Peter33vr. I made a nice mess with my old profile password so I had to register again :(

Just finished Ghostbusters 101 #3..... And it's great!!!! Love how IDW explain how the multiverse came to be, everything goes back to the 84 Ghostbusters.

Maybe Sony is out of touch with the public, but IDW surely is very strong linked.
I hope their ideas will be taken into consideration for future animated and live action movies.

Imagine. A real Gb3 is made. Ray and Winston train the new crew and talks about interdimensional jumps. On the wall there is a picture of Prime Gb and ATC GB together.
By pferreira1983
#4893965
Kingpin wrote:I'll only agree with that to the extent that the transgender community are starting to get proper recognition, I disagree however that it's "become fashion", that remarks feels like it trivialises the transgender community somewhat.
If someone wants to change their gender by all means but in a lot of cases I feel it's starting to become like getting a tattoo. Someone wants to be identified by a gender because they support some politics so they decide to change gender. I'm not for that but it does happen.

Kingpin wrote:So you're saying you're fine with some of the things people like Milo and Trump say so long as it challenges the people you feel are "social justice idiots"? I want to make sure I'm understanding you fully.
We live in a world now where if someone dislikes the colour of someone's jumper it becomes a race or gender issue, soon social media becomes a rallying cry for these idiots. Those are the people I refer to. On the occasion Trump or Milo or anyone else are correct in criticising these people then I'm all for that. That restriction of how to live your life just isn't right plus you probably know if you tried to please every left wing view these people still wouldn't be happy. If we listen to every left wing person the world wouldn't function properly. Unfortunately the popular mainstream media supports every liberal view it seems and I think that's worrying.

Kingpin wrote:As for the Simpsons, yeah, I admit I didn't care for the SJW/fembot gag, but it's a free country, and they've roasted liberal and conservative alike in the years gone past. I just don't find the show funny anymore, or at the very least all that frequently, when I used to really enjoy it.
The people complaining I guess don't seem to realise that the show makes fun of everyone but I think it's good The Simpsons got around to addressing this craziness, shows it's not afraid to take risks.

Kingpin wrote:You don't have to be a Paul Feig fan to be able to condemn Milo and what he stands for.
I won't condemn Milo for coming out as gay, I won't condemn him for leaving his job because of articles about abuse when he's been abused. It's great to vilify people but in not all cases are they wrong that's why I don't understand your comments like "what he stands for." Unlike what David Wise might say I'm not Milo's biggest fan but anyone who's willing to criticise crazy left wing social justice people isn't totally wrong.

Kingpin wrote:I lean right on some issues and left on others, and I suppose the ones I speak more actively on would be considered "issues of liberality". I consider myself either as conservative with a liberal streak, or liberal with a conservative streak. If it helps label me better, I try to take the "live and let live" approach as best I can... I tend to prefer government measures, laws and social movements that improve people's lives, and help those who may have been targets of prejudice in the past, over measures that intentionally or unintentionally blight lives, and embolden prejudice.
That's great but you can't label someone right or left or middle based on some comments posted here. It doesn't give you a clear picture of someone. It comes across as reactionary. I believe in freedom as well. I hate what conservative parties have done in the past. Not a Teresa May fan, not a Cameron, Major and certainly not a Margaret Thatcher fan. I prefer a balance between left and right wing values. It shouldn't really matter anyway. :)

Kingpin wrote:You may think that, but you've not convinced me, sir.
I don't need to.

Kingpin wrote:Just a suggestion, but you could always unfollow him? Though, maybe you secretly like to be triggered? ;) It's obvious we both like to talk.
I thought about unfollowing him it's just I find his TMNT posts interesting. I just feel annoyed that every week on the Technodrome TMNT forum I'm defending his contributions to the show and getting harassment as a result while on Facebook unaware of this he criticises what I have to say in any post. Maybe he likes being triggered?

Anyway I'm going to try to enjoy the rest of my birthday. :)
User avatar
By JurorNo.2
#4893970
pferreira1983 wrote:Anyway I'm going to try to enjoy the rest of my birthday. :)


Happy Birthday!

As far as Milo, here's the thing: I'm very against political correctness. Primarily, that means I'm against knee jerk reactions that older movies like Trading Places are "racist." Plus I feel political correctness makes people afraid to speak, rather than encourage dialogue. That's why I'm against it. Unfortunately, Milo is against it for very different reasons. He uses his freedom of speech to be insulting and juvenile. The opposite of political correctness should not be "freedom to be an asshole." ;) Social media, where Milo and his ilk thrive, has ruined discourse and debate, IMO. Which makes them just as dangerous as political correctness.

And thankfulky, the mainstream Republicans seem to have recognized this about him. His jokes about abuse were awful. I understand Brits often have a more...hmm...caustic wit than Americans are used to, but if he wants to live and work here, he does need to adapt. Just the way anyone else would. I know he's a victim himself, which leads me to say he needs help, not a Twitter account.

As for David Wise, don't take it too personally, some artists are just ornery sort of people and since he's not super famous he's probably not used to putting on a friendly PR face. And he's not the only one who is worried about Trump (and it's not just the left). I'd personally just avoid talking politics and be supportive of his work.
User avatar
By Kingpin
Moderator
#4893972
pferreira1983 wrote:If someone wants to change their gender by all means but in a lot of cases I feel it's starting to become like getting a tattoo.


That's a pretty ignorant oversimplification of the transitioning process, transitioning isn't something you can get done in a weekend or a couple of weeks, or on a drunken night out.

pferreira1983 wrote:Someone wants to be identified by a gender because they support some politics


It has nothing to do with politics, and I would be honestly, greatly surprised if you were able to present me with an example of someone transitioning solely because of their political views. Transitioning is about helping those who feel they were born as the wrong gender reach something that helps them feel more comfortable in their own skin.

It's not done because "it's the trendy thing to do".

pferreira1983 wrote:On the occasion Trump or Milo or anyone else are correct in criticising these people then I'm all for that.


pferreira1983 wrote:If we listen to every left wing person the world wouldn't function properly.


There are members of the right who bellyache just as much and as long as similar members of the left, it's just on different topics.

pferreira1983 wrote:I won't condemn Milo for coming out as gay


What?

Since when has anybody here asked you to do that? (the answer clearly is nobody) I'm asking you to condemn the more despicable claims he's made, and maybe not to quickly tie yourself to his standard, just because he may say a few things that resonate with you.

pferreira1983 wrote:when he's been abused.


He's a professional victim, not to mention a troll and a bully. As someone who was the victim of bullying in school, I can see a genuine victim and I can see someone who acts the part as part of a persecution complex. Milo does not does not deserve sympathy for having to leave his job or for having his own feelings hurt, those are the results of the life and actions he has led, which have frequently lacked consideration for how they'd affect other people.
He isn't the first bully, nor the last, to cry victim when the people he tormented finally stand up against him.

pferreira1983 wrote:that's why I don't understand your comments like "what he stands for."


Then permit me to lay out what Milo appears to standsfor (in no particular order):
Homophobia
Transphobia
Racism
Sexism
Anti-femism
Internet harassment and abuse

(And that's just the stuff I felt I could appropriately refer to on this forum)

You may not be his biggest fan, but your willingness to lend some of your support to him when I feel there is a strong argument to leave him standing alone is something I personally find concerning.


pferreira1983 wrote:That's great but you can't label someone right or left or middle based on some comments posted here.


After how long we've been talking issues like these and others? I do believe we can.

pferreira1983 wrote:It doesn't give you a clear picture of someone.


Respectfully, while it isn't the total sum of your parts, I do think you've given us a good insight into your approach with a lot of things. It's a sketch, rather than a finished oil painting... but I don't believe it to be an inaccurate one.

pferreira1983 wrote:It comes across as reactionary.


Reactionary would've been me describing you as "right wing" in the very first response I'd ever made to a post of yours, it's been months now and I think that time has allowed you to paint/sketch a very telling portrait of yourself.

Happy Birthday, by the way.

JurorNo.2 wrote:I'm very against political correctness.


A thought I've mused on more than a few times this past year is that, would so many people who are against/very against political correctness be so against it if the benefits they'd gotten from political correctness could be catalogued and pointed out?

I appreciate that political correctness sometimes gets it wrong, goes a little overboard, or is incorrectly implemented by people who had a misguided, but well-meaning approach.

But as someone who has benefitted from it providing laws, legislation, politics and social progress that have improved my life in little ways... I am grateful for it.

Were it not for political correctness, and the attitudes it has generated, I could still be subject to any of the following:
*I could be fired from my job for being gay (and that still happens frequently in several American states).
*I would be considered suffering from a "mental disorder" because of my orientation.
*I would not be able to get married.
*I would not be allowed to adopt (which again, still happens in some American states, and even with some agencies here in the UK).

And in retrospect, I'll still have had it easier than someone who is not white, or not male - they'd have every right to school me on how my benefit from political correctness doesn't even come up to how they've benefitted from it.
User avatar
By JurorNo.2
#4893975
Kingpin wrote:
A thought I've mused on more than a few times this past year is that, would so many people who are against/very against political correctness be so against it if the benefits they'd gotten from political correctness could be catalogued and pointed out?

I appreciate that political correctness sometimes gets it wrong, goes a little overboard, or is incorrectly implemented by people who had a misguided, but well-meaning approach.

But as someone who has benefitted from it providing laws, legislation, politics and social progress that have improved my life in little ways... I am grateful for it.

Were it not for political correctness, and the attitudes it has generated, I could still be subject to any of the following:
*I could be fired from my job for being gay (and that still happens frequently in several American states).
*I would be considered suffering from a "mental disorder" because of my orientation.
*I would not be able to get married.
*I would not be allowed to adopt (which again, still happens in some American states, and even with some agencies here in the UK).

And in retrospect, I'll still have had it easier than someone who is not white, or not male - they'd have every right to school me on how my benefit from political correctness doesn't even come up to how they've benefitted from it.


I'd call such things progress, open mindedness. The result of education, research, and understanding. And first and formost, discourse. Political correctness is arbitrarily censoring discourse. That is what I cannot abide.
User avatar
By timeware
#4893996
Some yes. In cases like FT Hood, and Ferguson, and BLM it can actually put peoples lives in danger when people with authority are afraid to condemn violence or don't want the racist label thrown at them.

Some people might mean well but they do go overboard in some cases. Paul may have had good intentions with the pay gap issue but he got way to preachy, and very one sided. This is also why I left Proton Charging, and no longer follow Hook ladder and 8 save the fire house face book page.
  • 1
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
New Diamond Select Figures

Not getting the Scoleri's is a tremendous let down[…]

The RGB 3D Board Game Thread

I remember owning a magnetized RGB board game. At […]

I've been watching through the show on Netflix (u[…]

Yes, it is! But carefully chosen because it repre[…]