Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
Ok. So as we all know GB3 was in various stages of pre production for...a long time. There seems to be at least two periods and versions of this: the late '90s "Ghostbusters Go To Hell" concept and then we get to about 2006-2007 and things start picking up again and there is active development on a script by "The Office" writers which went thru various drafts and re writes by God knows how many writers. This period ended with the passing of Harold Ramis. Then GB3 ceased to exist with the hiring of Mr Feig and company. "Ghostbusters Go to Hell" seemed to die around 2000, and started around 1997(I think? That sounds right. Was it earlier?), so that's at least 3 years of development. Then we get to about 2006-7 and that lasted until about 2014. That's almost 12 years of various stages of development.

Now I'm not saying GB3 was worked on full stop for 12 years BUT they seemed to really be picking up steam at certain points. Having some expierence working in the industry I can tell you on a movie like this, they wouldn't just be working on scripts. They would be working on creature designs, storyboards, perhaps animatics and maybe(for the Ghostbusters Go To Hell when CGI was still newish) CGI testing/proof on concepts. Remember that Superman Lives movie with Nicholas Cage that Tim Burton was suppose to direct in the 90s? There's stuff all over the Internet from costume tests, story boards and even full scripts. They even made a documentary on it. Sooo..

WHERE IS ALL THIS STUFF FOR GB3!?! How is it that we only have a few leaked pages of a GB3 draft from the '90s? Where is everything?? It's almost unheard for a movie like GB3 to be in pre production for so long and to literally have nothing from the behind the scenes process leak out on the Internet. Where are the story boards? The scripts? The concept art? The CGI tests?? You'd think Sony would have included some of this stuff on the GB2016 blu ray for a "making of" feature. Right?

So does anyone have any inside info on where all these goodies are? Are there any recent leaks or anything that I've perhaps missed out on? With the Sony email hack, did we get any script drafts out of that mess?? Do we have anything at all. Anything GB3 related from the '90s until 2014?
My guess regarding the Superman debacle it was further along the pipeline before it got canned.

GB 3 never passed the script stage and thus no renders and stuff, as Bill kept saying no and that whole veto thing made it much more of a risk to actually put more money in to convince Sony and Bill. Especially after so much years of limbo and a riskier franchise.

Also, perhaps the videogame took some designs and storybeats.
Alphagaia wrote:My guess regarding the Superman debacle it was further along the pipeline before it got canned.

GB 3 never passed the script stage and thus no renders and stuff, as Bill kept saying no and that whole veto thing made it much more of a risk to actually put more money in to convince Sony and Bill. Especially after so much years of limbo and a riskier franchise.

Also, perhaps the videogame took some designs and storybeats.
With Superman Lives the script was never nailed down and in a constant state of flux.
The script is usually the last thing to be finished. I know that sounds stupid and counter productive but I swear that's true. They usually are working on story beats etc. And have certain sequences story boarded. We know that Ghostbusters goes to hell had a completed draft and Ramis was even thinking about directing it. Ghostbusters '84 didn't have an approved draft until the day production started. But they knew the main story beats.

Could be some stuff was used for the video game, though I've read quite a few of the making of articles on that and they haven't mentioned anything getting recycled.

I can guarantee there are at least creature designs & storyboards. And we know there are multiple drafts of the office writers script from the Sony leaks. But how have we not had a finished script leak yet? Who wouldn't love to read a draft of that?
Alphagaia wrote:Yeah, I remember Alien3 being changed halfway through, so it's not an uncommon thing to rewrite even a whole thing. However, such movies were greenlighted much easier as they did not have the weird veto contract GB had.

I think everyone would love to read the pitches and scripts, though!
Yeah the veto thing does complicate matters. That's an unusual situation for movies. Ghostbusters is the only example I've ever heard of where so many people, cast included, hold VETO power.

There's some misconception out there about how "greenlighting" works. Usually big movies aren't greenlit until they are production ready. That means, script, cast, budget, set design have all been approved. Hollywood is a weird place. Sometimes sets are even built for movies that have yet to see greenlight. It's the very last thing to happen.

Some movies, like Lord of the Rings, have extensive pre production work done before casting has even started. Producers usually pay for this before a studio is brought on board. The very first Star Wars is a great example. George Lucas had Ralph Mcquarrie draw concept art that helped sell the movie to studio heads. Peter Jackson spent his own money on a "proof of concept" for LOTR.

Greenlighting tends to be only used for production--when cameras roll & talent is paid. To use Superman Lives as an example once more, it hadn't yet recieved the greenlight. Now maybe the Superman example is a bit extreme since Warner Bros spent anywhere from 20-50 million dollars in pre production development, which is insane. For big budget movies, like Ghostbusters, once a producer and director are attached pre production is usually started in some capacity. It's different for every movie. For example, on Star Wars The Force Awakens, pre production had begun before Disney bought Lucasfilm. You can see all the cool concepts that went unused in the "Art of Star Wars Force Awakens" book.

It all depends on the producer and studio. I imagine there's got to be some cool stuff out there. Maybe a documentary will be made one day like the Superman Lives documentary.

Another example that comes to mind is John Carter of Mars. That movie was in development at various studios and there's quite a bit of cool concept art and CGI tests for a version of the movie that was to be directed by Jon Favreau at Paramount. Then it ended up at Disney and the rest is history.
Development is the department I work in and there are some pretty crazy stories out there that I've heard. Knowing what I do about the process, someone somewhere is sitting on a treasure trove of GB3 awesomeness lol. What I wouldn't give...

Anyways, good to hear from you Alpha. It's been awhile
Noremon liked this
The only concept art I know for Ghostbusters III: Hellbent is by Tristan Jones.

Tristan Jones was hired to work on previsualization for Ghostbusters III. In a montage scene, Jones drew an entity originating from a mounted skull on the wall of a steak joint that came to life. The idea was all the meat and Ectoplasm was used to create its body.

The meat from all the dishes in the restaurant compiling together to form a reincarnation of a "meat bull" is really in Ghostbusters style (like the furcoat coming to life in GBII).

Alphagaia, RichardLess, Noremon and 2 others liked this
One time wrote:The only concept art I know for Ghostbusters III: Hellbent is by Tristan Jones.

Tristan Jones was hired to work on previsualization for Ghostbusters III. In a montage scene, Jones drew an entity originating from a mounted skull on the wall of a steak joint that came to life. The idea was all the meat and Ectoplasm was used to create its body.

The meat from all the dishes in the restaurant compiling together to form a reincarnation of a "meat bull" is really in Ghostbusters style (like the furcoat coming to life in GBII).

Now this is what I'm talking about. Thank you! That's a great image and you're right, totally Ghostbusters!
Sav C liked this
Someone got to read the Ghostbusters: Hellbent script (I wanna say the guy over at proton charging? I dunno) but it's not released anywhere yet and he didn't want to give it out. What I'd really like to see is the original script for Ghostbusters 2 that got Bill Murray to return. When he signed on (which was based on the original plot) they switched it up last minute and, which we all know, was almost a copy of the events from the first movie - which pissed him off. That's why he vetoes all GB3 pitches.
SpaceBallz wrote: April 1st, 2018, 6:48 pm Someone got to read the Ghostbusters: Hellbent script (I wanna say the guy over at proton charging? I dunno) but it's not released anywhere yet and he didn't want to give it out. What I'd really like to see is the original script for Ghostbusters 2 that got Bill Murray to return. When he signed on (which was based on the original plot) they switched it up last minute and, which we all know, was almost a copy of the events from the first movie - which pissed him off. That's why he vetoes all GB3 pitches.
Wow. I didn't know there was an early GBII script which didn't feature Murray.

The earliest script I read was already considerably different from the final movie. (No Vigo, No Dana, etc. ) it was really dark. (You can read it on the last post on this thread.: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=13110)
One time wrote: April 1st, 2018, 7:20 pm
SpaceBallz wrote: April 1st, 2018, 6:48 pm Someone got to read the Ghostbusters: Hellbent script (I wanna say the guy over at proton charging? I dunno) but it's not released anywhere yet and he didn't want to give it out. What I'd really like to see is the original script for Ghostbusters 2 that got Bill Murray to return. When he signed on (which was based on the original plot) they switched it up last minute and, which we all know, was almost a copy of the events from the first movie - which pissed him off. That's why he vetoes all GB3 pitches.
Wow. I didn't know there was an early GBII script which didn't feature Murray.

The earliest script I read was already considerably different from the final movie. (No Vigo, No Dana, etc. ) it was really dark. (You can read it on the last post on this thread.: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=13110)
I meant that it's what attracted Murray to come back for the sequel lol. The darker one you're talking about is probably the one he wanted to make.
There was a GB3-Hellbent script review by Stax over at IGN back in the day. 2005 maybe? Maybe earlier than that. I'm sure a quick search of the Google machine will help you out. The review was quite negative if memory serves.
Well I think everything I've ever seen related to Ghostbusters III is in this thread, short of some leaked plot points. Perhaps they'll make a documentary/book out of any existing GBIII material, as I'm sure there would be an audience for it. It could include all of the articles regarding it in chronological order, that way the developments could be correlated to what was being said at the time.
I'd love to see that Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg GB3 script, hell even that blueprint that was penned up back in 2016 for an expanded universe. There was a fan mash-up a few years ago where fans got to film a few scenes they picked out from GB1 and it was all edited together into a giant GB1 remake, that should happen with one of the GB3 scripts that was never used.

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]