Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
Are you going to buy a theatre ticket irrespective of quality of the film?

Will your decision depend on the trailer, reviews or word of mouth?

If the reboot gets poor or average reviews will you still go and see it?

Are you so against the reboot that you'll ignore it even if it gets good reviews?

What will be your decision process in deciding whether to buy a theatre ticket?

Personally speaking my decision will depend on various things. First will be a handful of trusted reviewers that I've been following for a number of years, second will be the trailer and third will be the general fan reaction and reaction from the general public on forums, Youtube videos etc.

If the general consensus is that the film is good to great, I'll watch it. Otherwise I'm going to give it a miss even though I'm a massive livelong fan and extremely curious about it.

Over the last few years I've become more wary about sequels, prequels, remakes and reboots and I've also become increasingly conscious that when you buy a ticket to a poorly made film, you're not only funding it but you're encouraging the studio to produce a sequel to it which is almost bound to be as bad.

I know you're a huge fan of Ghostbusters and I know that like me you've been waiting years for another film but I would encourage you to make a well informed judgement before you buy that ticket. If it turns out to be disappointing you've not only wasted your time and money but more importantly you'll be funding the studio that made it and giving them reason to make another.

There are far too many examples of films that made much more money than they ever deserved and because of it they got sequels that were just as bad and even worse. I think we all agree that that's the last thing we want to happen to our beloved franchise.

I really want this reboot to be good, heck I want it to be amazing. But I'm not going to buy a ticket, a t shirt or a dvd just because I'm a fan or just because I'm a collector. This is due to the reasons I've given.
Neolarthytep, Yogi8156 liked this
I won't see it in the theater. I imagine that as against this reboot as I am though, I will eventually cave to morbid curiosity and watch it simply because of the title of the film, but I have no desire to give Feig any of my money at this point. So it'd have to be on tv, or streaming on netflix which is a service I already pay for, or somebody show me their copy of the disc, etc.
venkman4077, deadderek liked this
I flat out refuse to financially support this in any way. Out of sheer curiosity I'll watch it at some point, but SONY won't be getting a dime out of me from it.

I sincerely hope it turns out to be a major box office bomb.
unless they rewrite the script to incorporate into the existing GB film universe, then I will not I will not be giving Sony any money related to this abomination. If I do at some point choose to watch it only be once it is on HBO or something. I made this mistake last year with the Robocop reboot, and I will not make the same mistake twice.
deadderek, Neolarthytep liked this
It's difficult to say. As much as I dislike my #1 all time favorite movie getting rebooted I think at some point my curiosity will give in.

I have two nieces and I introduced one to Ghostbusters when the movie was re-released in theaters. She loves it as much as I did when I was her age, if she asks me to see the reboot I will not hesitate to say yes. But I will gently explain to her the true Ghostbusters move was from 1984.

I never gave my money to the latest TMNT reboot nor do I ever plan to. When Cineasins on YouTube did Everything wrong with TMNT it covered the whole movie in about 20 minutes.
Neolarthytep liked this
I think many of us will see this just out of curiosity to see if there is ANY nod to the fans. Personally I'm curious to know if they even plan on using the original GB theme, but since Fieg wants nothing to do with the originals I can't see that happening. I'm not even sure if they'll be using the symbol in the actual movie instead of the title.
I won't be. As others have said, I won't be giving my money to Sony or Paul Feig. All it does is reinforce Hollywood to continue making pointless reboots. I'll probably watch it on Netflix or HBO or something. I was also against the new TMNT flick for the same reason. And Robocop and Total Recall, etc. The only reboot I remotely enjoyed was Friday the 13th and even then it was because it more or less nailed the tone of the originals, not exactly a hard thing to do considering the source material.

It'll only be a matter of time at this rate until we Mary McFly travel back to 1985 in her smartphone time machine with the help of Doc Emily Brown....great scott....................
Obbie liked this
In all honesty, there are very few movies I will watch at the theater, mostly because its so expensive. The movie has to be really good for me to see it at the movies.

More likely than not, I'll watch it when it becomes available on Netflix. I may protest and and disagree with the concept, but deep down, I'm curious about what it is they'll do with it.
Mike_D wrote:I think many of us will see this just out of curiosity to see if there is ANY nod to the fans. Personally I'm curious to know if they even plan on using the original GB theme, but since Fieg wants nothing to do with the originals I can't see that happening. I'm not even sure if they'll be using the symbol in the actual movie instead of the title.
From what I've heard the Ghostbusters reboot will be about a secret government agency, (where have we seen that before?), not a private business/emergency service who advertise themselves to the public. In this context the 'who you gonna call?' question will be redundant because you can't call a secret government agency. It won't make any sense the song though I'm sure that they'll still use it to promote the film.
I'll have no choice but to see the trailer, which will be like five minutes long and give away every one-liner in the film. Then I'll wait and stream it when someone rightfully puts it online. I won't waste my money on this POS. All the proton stream sound effects and Aykroyd cheerleading couldn't get me to see this in public.
After all the things I've read about this movie I think it's just MiB with ghosts! I'll never watch this movie, no matter if it's good or bad unless they drop the name Ghostbusters, because it just isn't!
It's a matter of principles for me! I won't give money for something that's just one big lie!
By RedWithEvil
With all these articles in favor of the new film popping up now. I'm definitely saying NO! All the articles in favor are so grossly one sided, desperately making it into something it isn't - for the sole purpose of pitching an audience. If this was the ORIGINAL vision released in the '80's it wouldn't of been the same for me, as a boy I wouldn't of dressed up like a girl, which seems to be encouraged in society nowadays. Maybe everything is "evolving", and changing for the better. Maybe everything is the best it's ever been. I can't see it though, and I've tried. Could it be one of the many writings on the wall? My Spooky Mulder senses say "probably".

Once again, for those who are excited for the new movie - that's great. It's just odd how quick they dismiss all else as "sexist", or to "get back on topic" or whatever else. It's like they have the mindless zombie disease.

My final thoughts are, (as there's so many discussions about this as it is, and it's like beating a dead horse). The new movie has NOTHING to do with the old. Think about that. Aside from exploiting the title, and the (no ghost) logo. Everyone else, and anyone else is expendable in the path of the money machine. Whether you're for, or against.

This isn't equality. It's old shackles for new grounds. Just speaking on the franchise alone - why GB has to take the modern downward political spiral is beyond me. People need to question things more, and not just follow the herd. Manipulation via the TV, or News, is too easy. If society needs to evolve from something, they should really evolve from that.

aka

Paul "Feiggo" is a creep.

Someone of artistic value should really make a no reboot meme with the Ghostbusters: The Other Side "RIP Ghostbusters" gravestone image lol. It's time. Does this new movie verge on ACTUALLY "ruining childhoods"? In a way, yeah. So people should get over it, and face the facts that this was something special to a lot of people. Diverse people, who treasured it's influential lineage. This new crap will never be "Ghostbusters". Change the name, change the logo - my interest goes up immensely.

Aside from that, I hope part 1 is re-released this Halloween. Feiggo may make claim he's not intending to "erase every copy", which is cute for the media. But, he's still a tool, and a goon - and the cast sucks. Anyway everyone to is buying into the hype and is happy about the film, once again - that's cool. Everyone who is an actual fan of "Ghostbusters", try to remember the good times. I'm not participating in the release of another empty reboot. But, if ecto cooler is released (not sure why it even would) I may splurge the $2.

cheers,
-R, Original GB fan - Semper Fi
deadderek liked this
I very rarely go to the cinema as it is (can't stand the idiots talking through the film / playing with their phones etc). So there's no chance I will pay to see this. I don't even want to see it for free on a plane. Heck, you could pay me and I still don't want to watch it!
pferreira1983 wrote:I'll probably go to the cinema and see the film through the slits in my hands covering my eyes. Then leave the cinema pretending the film never happened. That's the position Ghostbusters fans are in at the moment.
Haha...good description. Let's be honest, there is no way I won't see this opening night. I have been waiting for a third GB movie since 1989, when I was in high school (yes, I'm old).

But I will be very apprehensive. If it's as good as GB2, I will be over the moon. But it's never going to be GB1 good. That is flat out impossible.
Probably not. I don't really go to theaters to watch movies. I prefer watching them at home. I might skip the home viewing, if the reviews are negative (or if they are the wrong kind of positive--people getting excited about things I dislike). I'm a fan of the work, not the name. I still haven't seen JJ Abrams' Star Trek/Star Wars mashup, or the Teenage Mutant Ninja Things.
Phasmatum Fractor wrote:Probably not. I don't really go to theaters to watch movies. I prefer watching them at home. I might skip the home viewing, if the reviews are negative (or if they are the wrong kind of positive--people getting excited about things I dislike). I'm a fan of the work, not the name. I still haven't seen JJ Abrams' Star Trek/Star Wars mashup, or the Teenage Mutant Ninja Things.
JJ Abrams Star Trek films are both great. Especially Into Darkness, which I was very leery of going in.
Ivo Shandor wrote:
Phasmatum Fractor wrote:Probably not. I don't really go to theaters to watch movies. I prefer watching them at home. I might skip the home viewing, if the reviews are negative (or if they are the wrong kind of positive--people getting excited about things I dislike). I'm a fan of the work, not the name. I still haven't seen JJ Abrams' Star Trek/Star Wars mashup, or the Teenage Mutant Ninja Things.
JJ Abrams Star Trek films are both great. Especially Into Darkness, which I was very leery of going in.
I've read many thoughtful, contrary opinions, and found them persuasive. Even the positive reviews seem to describe movies I have no interest in sitting through. The footage I have seen, including one scene that has been touted as the best in ST 2009, was not at all engaging. My reaction basically mirrored Sisko's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF_SqNCLwak

That will be the same process that informs my decision on whether or not to watch the new Ghostbusters. If it looks bad, if other people can articulate why they think it's bad, and if the people who like it can't sell it to me, I'll give it a pass.
Phasmatum Fractor wrote:If it looks bad, if other people can articulate why they think it's bad, and if the people who like it can't sell it to me, I'll give it a pass.
1) I don't have the attachment to Star Trek that I do to Ghostbusters. I didn't go in thinking it would be awful if the movie was bad. If it was bad, so what?! But Star Trek 2009 wasn't bad.

2) It was a re-boot but not actually a reboot. As in, all the previous Star Trek movies actually happened. But then someone messed with the timeline, and things were changed. That is different from the hard reboot Feig is planning with Ghostbusters.

3) My favorite Star Trek movie is ST2: Wrath of Khan. "Into Darkness" is basically a remake, but it's the best remake I've ever seen. Aside from a few nit-picks, it was done in an awesome way, well cast, and the film makers obviously love the original 1982 movie. If the Ghostbusters remake was rebooted that way, with that sort of obvious love and respect for the original 1984 GB...well, maybe a reboot wouldn't be that bad.

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]