Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By Doctor Venkman
My initial reaction is slowly wearing off and I'm beginning to wish they did a bit more with them. I don't hate them, and I get that they're supposed to look sort of "slapped together" but I was hoping for something a little better.

They're probably like a 6/10 in my book. Good, but could've been better.
By JediChris1138
I... I guess I don't like them. There isn't enough detail. The originals looked like they were assembled out of spare parts available at the time. These look like they were made in a junk yard. I think what bothers me is they look DELIBERATELY like crap instead of accidentally assembled in a messy way.

But really, who cares, I guess. As long as the story is correct and they capture the feel of four slightly eccentric but otherwise regular folks in a horrifying situation, it could be good, but everything Paul Feig's done points to exaggerated campiness. Keep your fingers crossed!
By MovieSean
honestly i feel like the originals were created by a scientist as a prototype almost, no polish no covers just all the parts exposed and made for pure function over form, with these they seem more produced, and if they JUST made them....why are they so distressed?

Def see the EGB reference, but over all im unimpressed..
JediChris1138, Mike_D liked this
By Smeghead
Replace the green digital readouts with an old pressure gauge, add a bit more brass, and it would be a perfectly acceptable steampunk pack for a convention. But it doesn't look like a functional piece of kit.

Still, I half expected them to be a featurless white box with "iPack" written on them, so compared to that...
By groschopf
I... er... ummm.... huh.

Between the pack aesthetic and all of the orange, I'm almost expecting a scene where they shop at Home Depot for parts. Perhaps these prototype-looking packs give way to something a bit more graceful later in the film?

I don't mind the wand, and I the industrial look makes sense. These certainly look home-made. Even the easy-to-reach green ball valve on the right side seems more sensible than tiny toggle switches.

I'm just surprised that the pack shape is a straight up rectangle. A lot of the original Ghostbusters gear was quietly evocative of the supernatural -- driving around in what looks like a hearse, a meter that's somewhat coffin shaped, and a backpack that's an upside-down tombstone. I suppose I expected a little more form, even if they're grungy.

I'll be interested to see what these look like when they're switched on. I'm warming up to them, if you'll pardon the pun.
By Buckynohair
I like it. I don't like the heart but other than that, I can get on board with it. With this and the uniforms I like the fact that spirit of the originals remain. Definitely looking forward to the release next year.
By Namssorg
Heh. This definitely looks like it's going to be the 'prototype' pack in the movie. Guarantee it will be replaced by something cooler before the film is over. It's got plumbing :)

Does the layout of this thing remind anyone else of when people who aren't familiar with packs try to put them on upside down?
Smeghead, Mike_D, guitar1036 liked this
By gboy6
I think it is upside-down, it looks sort of better. The thrower is decent enough. In any case, I hope the sources of the parts start showing up, I'll probably make it with some upgrades.
By Smeghead
Namssorg wrote: Does the layout of this thing remind anyone else of when people who aren't familiar with packs try to put them on upside down?
My thoughts exactly.
guitar1036 liked this
By JediChris1138
I mean, it looks like a plastic toolbox is bolted to the back of the thing. I don't mean that as a euphemism. It looks like a plastic toolbox was bolted onto it.

I think I need a little something more.
By odog
I was underwhelmed.

downvotes
1. it looks upside down
2. it looks like it was mad in a cave with a box of scraps
3. some of the parts look unnecessary
4. it looks more streampunk than a 30 year update to the original
5. fabbing it might yield a HEAVY pack. Mine is already 35 pounds with fiberglass/resin, with all that metal it might be even more

upvotes
1. looks like it might not be to hard to fab
2. wand looks pretty badass
3. we will have to see the thing in action.
By Not404Error
You know what... I like it.
By Cory Levy
As of now, I'm neutral on it. The more I look at it, though, I think the more it's appeal comes out to me. I think given the retention of some of the similar elements throughout the whole project, from the jumpsuits to the thrower design, etc, I think there almost has to be some chaser lights in there and I'd bet they circle around the clear bit surrounding the direct center. To me that'll make the pack a lot better just by itself. As it is it's almost a little too same colored, needs those bright red chaser lights to make it pop.

Like another used said, I wouldn't be surprised if this is just the prototype that McKinnon's character has at the very start of the film. Maybe it gets used once to demonstrate that they have the ability to wrangle ghosts before it gets a re-design. I have a hard time believing Feig would spoil the pack this early but we shall see!

I definitely think it could be much, much worse.
msr322 liked this
I like the overall feel, but I think it's a little to plain towards the bottom with that tool box / plastic case / whatever. It feels like a cop out on the designers part.

"Hmm. I really like this part, but I can't think of what to put on the bottom. Screw it. I'll put a tool box and just fill up the space."

Even if you just split the boxes into different sized boxes and got rid of the handle. The overall design would be the same, but it would look a bit more busy, in a good way.

From what I can see of the thrower, I love it. I genuinely love it. And the hose, besides the fact that it connects at the top side of the pack and not the bottom.
By featofstrength
I dunno. Guess I'm a lil disappointed.

I mean, we've see custom/fantasy pack ideas with similar or better levels of execution and imagination here on this forum.

Not sure what would have impressed me.
By MRblahface
I had a scary thought, what if that handle is the trap. Maybe they are sticking with sucking the ghosts into the pack rather then zap em cap em trap em. That would change the dynamic alot. Humm.

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]