Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.

..In terms of somehow keeping the original Fab Four (or some incarnation of them) largely present in the film's plot with the new crop of female ghostbusters involved; almost like a partnership (like Charlize Theron's Furiosa character in Fury Road)...do you think would fans have been more forgiving of the direction of this film? I mean, the idea of a "passing of the torch"-style GB film was always kicked around anyway, but I think the total & sudden restructuring of it with longtime fans having waited for so long (with the Hellbent script floating around online, Dan Aykroyd's teasing of the project, etc.) just sticks the knife in a little deeper, no?
sting3037 liked this
The problem is because the way things were at that moment, a canon continuation could just never happen. Sony still wants an expanded universe, and the leak mentions starting up another movie that will connect to the 80's busters once the reboot is past the point of no return.
Sav C liked this
SonofSamhain wrote:Image

..In terms of somehow keeping the original Fab Four (or some incarnation of them) largely present in the film's plot with the new crop of female ghostbusters involved; almost like a partnership (like Charlize Theron's Furiosa character in Fury Road)...do you think would fans have been more forgiving of the direction of this film? I mean, the idea of a "passing of the torch"-style GB film was always kicked around anyway, but I think the total & sudden restructuring of it with longtime fans having waited for so long (with the Hellbent script floating around online, Dan Aykroyd's teasing of the project, etc.) just sticks the knife in a little deeper, no?
yes i think it would be great if there is a sequel. fans like us will definitely become more excited with the sequel because we will not have any idea on how it will start and how it will end. plus an addition for excitement and thrill will be very effective.
A lot of fans probably would have been kinder to the movie if it was a direct continuation. And I certainly would have enjoyed that.

Now, does that excuse fans going ape sh*t because they thought some fictional continuity was "erased"? Hell. No.
Sav C, Alphagaia, zeta otaku and 4 others liked this
When I think of rushed, uneven messes, I think of something like the Stepford Wives remake, where the tone was all over the place and the plot and themes nearly incoherent. GB16 has a consistent tone, whether you prefer it or not. And its plot and themes are pretty straightforward. Stop villain who brought a ton of ghosts into the world, and have the girls gain some much yearned for recognition at the end.
Sav C, Alphagaia liked this
I'm all for a continuation, and yes I think that fans would have been more accepting of that, but Fury Road might be the wrong comparison. The Force Awakens already did was Ghostbusters 2016 failed to do; They captured the spirit of the original films, brought back the characters that current fans already know and love, then introduced new characters for future generations, AND the new lead is a young woman. They also managed to plan 15 other films in this expanded universe.
Commander_Jim, sting3037, SpaceBallz and 1 others liked this
'Creed' is another example. They basically remade the original Rocky movie and rebooted the franchise with a new lead character, who they'll be continuing the franchise with, but it was done in a respectful way that kept the Rocky character relevant and it made fans happy and attracted a new audience.
featofstrength, sting3037, SpaceBallz and 1 others liked this
Force Awakens captured the spirit of a Marvel film. Which is cool, they're fun and all. They're just not Star Wars. Star Wars' humor came from the occasional wry observations of the characters, not constant attempts to fish for laughs. Ironically, this is the very thing GB16 gets accused of!

And while GB16's characters could have been more fleshed out, I'd say the same thing about FA's characters times a billion.

And GB16 merely being a reboot doesn't say disrespect to me. Cameos have been considered a respectful tribute since the dawn of film. Fans are only calling them disrespectful because they're not exactly what they wanted. It's like a kid on Christmas morning asking for Malibu Barbie and freaking out because they got Hawaiian Barbie instead.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Looking ahead to the next overblown outrage? ;)
You mean "Spider-man Homecoming?"

It won't be too bad. My boner for Aunt May will keep me distracted from the "buzz/backlash" over Black Mary Jane.

Thanks in advance, SONY!

But, seriously, smartass...I like the Planet of the Apes reboots. Just another example of "getting it right."
SpaceBallz liked this
I have found across the internet that typically people who really support the GB remake are the same people that say The Force Awakens wasn't a good movie, or it rehashed too much from ANH.

I loved TFA enough to go see it three times in the theater. It also made 2-billion dollars box office, billions in toys sales, jump started the movie franchise, etc. etc. etc. But according to a lot of those same people -- none of that stuff matters.

However, somehow, GB2016 doing NONE of those things even close to the same degree is a positive for GB2016.
SpaceBallz liked this
Do not underestimate the power of the Hype. I'm not sure Star Wars can make a movie its fans won't support. I'm not saying that's either good or bad. It's simply a loyalty few franchises will ever have.

On a side note, when I think of toy sales, I can only picture underpaid Chinese factory workers. I try not to get into those conversations too much.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Force Awakens captured the spirit of a Marvel film. Which is cool, they're fun and all. They're just not Star Wars.
I would have to disagree, and while you are welcomed to that opinion I would say that you would probably have to accept it as a minority opinion. If anything, the majority of the the criticism is that it is too much like the originals.
Star Wars' humor came from the occasional wry observations of the characters, not constant attempts to fish for laughs. Ironically, this is the very thing GB16 gets accused of!
But Star Wars isn't a comedy, it's fantasy/sci-fi that happens to have some humorous moments. Had The Force Awakens gotten wrong the core of what Star Wars is, then perhaps it wouldn't have been as well received.
SpaceBallz liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote: I'm not sure Star Wars can make a movie its fans won't support. I'm not saying that's either good or bad. It's simply a loyalty few franchises will ever have.
Star Wars made 3 of them actually, they're called episodes 1, 2, and 3. Those movies nearly killed my love for Star Wars, and I know I am not alone there. The Force Awakens restored that love and brought me back to Star Wars. GB2016 did the opposite for me.

As for fan loyalty, SW has the numbers sure, but GB's have heart. Star Wars has had much more exposure over the years than Ghostbusters and yet GB fans kept the franchise alive through the darkest years when there was no public presence or any hope for anything new at all. You tell me who is the more loyal.

GB 2016 doesn't have the support that TFA and Fury Road has because ATC was a bad movie. It's really that simple.
ThrowingChicken wrote: But Star Wars isn't a comedy, it's fantasy/sci-fi that happens to have some humorous moments.
That's precisely what I was saying. I'm just not sure FA understood that.

And when people say FA is too similar, they mean it hit too many of the same plot beats. They aren't talking about the tone of the movie which, as I said, is nothing at all like the originals.

And that's fine about being a minority opinion. Bayformers are consistently box office successes. Glad I'm not part of that majority opinion.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on August 29th, 2016, 10:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
PeteVenkman_Jedi wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote: GB 2016 doesn't have the support that TFA and Fury Road has because ATC was a bad movie. It's really that simple.
GB16's trailer didn't build up the hype. It's really that simple.
Those movies nearly killed my love for Star Wars, and I know I am not alone there.
And yet none of them bombed, not by a long shot. By the logic typically seen on this board, that makes them masterpieces.
GB fans kept the franchise alive through the darkest years
This was the darkest year and it was (ironically) created by the fandom itself.

What you're calling the "darkest years" were the years the general public didn't associate Ghostbusters with hating and hacking. They associated Ghostbusters with positive feelings, with underdogs they could root for. But no one in their right mind wanted to root for this fandom after the way it behaved this year. Because feminists? Because it wasn't a sequel? No one cares why anymore, they just want it to end.
MonaLS, Webster liked this
MagicPrime wrote:I have found across the internet that typically people who really support the GB remake are the same people that say The Force Awakens wasn't a good movie, or it rehashed too much from ANH.
I dislike both SW:TFA and GB2016. How many times are they going to blow up a Deathstar? 3x and counting..

SW:TFA is much like Prometheus, great visuals but terrible storyline/storytelling. BvS suffers the same fate.

I thought GB16 was boring and the visuals were weak.

What I find interesting with BvS, SW:TFA and Prometheus is that the directors make a big deal about adding excruciating detail to the world they are building (much of it that you will NEVER see on screen like the imprint worked into Superman's uniform or the wood grips in Batman's grapple gun. etc.) but neglect basic story arc, pacing and character building.
I think if ANY popular franchise would have been remade/rebooted with completely new characters while simultaneously insulting the fanbase over few loud mouths, it would have gotten the same reactions/box office numbers as GB2016. Blaming the Ghostbusters fanbase for others' over-the-top retaliations is like blaming video games for violence.
pferreira1983 liked this
SpaceBallz wrote:I think if ANY popular franchise would have been remade/rebooted with completely new characters
Many Star Wars fans would argue FA did exactly that, rebooting the same old story with new characters. Only in that case, they used the older characters as a smoke screen so you wouldn't think too much about it. A reboot in sequel's clothing, so to speak. By comparison, GB16 was infinitely more honest.
insulting the fanbase over few loud mouths,
I'm a fan and I didn't feel insulted. Then again, I wasn't harassing people on Twitter over not getting a sequel.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on August 30th, 2016, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zeta otaku liked this
Alphagaia wrote:I wish we could just move on from chasing tails and stop rehashing and generalising old gripes.

Is this fanbase capable of that?
Sure, now that the damage has been done and our film franchise is trying to function properly from the damages like the T-800 at the end of T2. Then again he said "f*** it" and submerged himself in molten steel.
pferreira1983 liked this
SpaceBallz wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:I wish we could just move on from chasing tails and stop rehashing and generalising old gripes.

Is this fanbase capable of that?
Sure, now that the damage has been done and our film franchise is trying to function properly from the damages like the T-800 at the end of T2. Then again he said "f*** it" and submerged himself in molten steel.
Well, at least he went out giving a thumbs up. ;-)
Well remember, a lot of fans wanted to send a "No more reboots!" message to Hollywood. So if this movie is seen as doing well at all, they think it sends the opposite message.
MagicPrime wrote:I have found across the internet that typically people who really support the GB remake are the same people that say The Force Awakens wasn't a good movie, or it rehashed too much from ANH.

I loved TFA enough to go see it three times in the theater. It also made 2-billion dollars box office, billions in toys sales, jump started the movie franchise, etc. etc. etc. But according to a lot of those same people -- none of that stuff matters.

However, somehow, GB2016 doing NONE of those things even close to the same degree is a positive for GB2016.
The Force Awakens was really disappointing. It really let down the fans who grew up with the original trilogy and the EU books. The difference between both movies is that TFA made all these statements like "hardly any CGI" which were really lies while the people behind the new movie said "no we're making all these changes and you're going to have to lump it", essentially telling the truth.
SpaceBallz wrote:
Ha, ha! It's true! :-D
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Well remember, a lot of fans wanted to send a "No more reboots!" message to Hollywood. So if this movie is seen as doing well at all, they think it sends the opposite message.
We can hope.
JurorNo.2 liked this
pferreira1983 wrote:The difference between both movies is that TFA made all these statements like "hardly any CGI" which were really lies while the people behind the new movie said "no we're making all these changes and you're going to have to lump it", essentially telling the truth.
And the last things fandoms want is the truth.

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]