Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By MagicPrime
This Post Contains Spoilers
By Sav C
barison82 wrote:Ultimately it is a judgement on quality; between the earlier, intricate techniques and methods used to produce the effects in combination with physical props - and with the subsequent loss of physical props to fully digitized CGI; which is much lamented by some. CGI replaces a whole team of skilled prop builders and operators; but in turn creates a new generation of highly skilled digital artists. I suppose many people think that CGI somehow looks 'cheaper', or too much like videogame graphics; although I do know that it's certainly very expensive to produce! Like with many things that went before this digital revolution...there is certainly a nostalgic nod to analogue. But is it better? I think that all ultimately rests on how much originality, creativity, thought, imagination, ingenuity, enthusiasm and energy has gone into making the effects in the first place; it would be interesting to see a 'making of' for the effects produced in GB16.
For me it's usually the fact that CGI is used on digitally shot movies, and Practical Effects and Optical Composites are usually done on film stock.

Even though many people like the very clean look of digital (which is completely fine,) I really enjoy the gritty/grainy look of movies shot on 35mm Film (especially Anamorphic ones, like Ghostbusters, Die Hard, Terminator, and so many others.)

The funny thing about digital and Anamorphic Lens is that I typically like it more when they shoot with a Spherical Lens and then crop, while it's the opposite with film.

The time when I care most about this is when they are filming the skyline, though.
They are both from a similar time of day, and both have very nice framing. But as far as aesthetics go, I prefer the first one over the second due to the look that film stock brings to it.

One other quick thing to note, not everyone can tell the difference between Digital and Film, but some can. It's all personal preference and neither one is actually better than the other.
Last edited by Sav C on June 16th, 2016, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
By featofstrength
Sav C wrote: The time when I care most about this is when they are filming the skyline, though.
They are both from a similar time of day, and both have very nice framing. But as far as aesthetics go, I prefer the first one over the second due to the look that film stock brings to it.
I dunno, man...remember all the great Chicago shots from Blues Brothers 2000 and how they were superior to the original?
Sav C, JurorNo.2 liked this
By Sav C
featofstrength wrote:I dunno, man...remember all the great Chicago shots from Blues Brothers 2000 and how they were superior to the original?
I haven't seen Blues Brothers 2000, or the first one for that matter. Do you have any screen grabs you could link to? Like I said, it's all personal preference, and the cinematography has to be good in the first place.
By barison82
Sav C wrote:For me it's usually the fact that CGI is used on digitally shot movies, and Practical Effects and Optical Composites are usually done on film stock.

Even though many people like the very clean look of digital (which is completely fine,) I really enjoy the gritty/grainy look of movies shot on 35mm Film (especially Anamorphic ones, like Ghostbusters, Die Hard, Terminator, and so many others.)

The funny thing about digital and Anamorphic Lens is that I typically like it more when they shoot with a Spherical Lens and then crop, while it's the opposite with film.

The time when I care most about this is when they are filming the skyline, though.

One other quick thing to note, not everyone can tell the difference between Digital and Film, but some can. It's all personal preference and neither one is actually better than the other.
I concur with this - and I also share your thoughts about the skyline. I love the 35mm grain myself, and I can certainly see the difference between the two mediums; as you say, it's all personal preference but I find that digital can look a bit too clinical sometimes; too perfect. There really is a certain mood/ambience/character that 35mm film gives, which I like.
Sav C, pferreira1983 liked this
By Sav C
barison82 wrote:I concur with this - and I also share your thoughts about the skyline. I love the 35mm grain myself, and I can certainly see the difference between the two mediums; as you say, it's all personal preference but I find that digital can look a bit too clinical sometimes; too perfect. There really is a certain mood/ambience/character that 35mm film gives, which I like.
I'm glad you agree :)
barison82 liked this
By barison82
Sav C wrote:I'm glad you agree :)
I have to admit, I'm still living in analogue mode really with most things lol
Sav C liked this
By Raystantz Italy
Sav C wrote:
barison82 wrote:I concur with this - and I also share your thoughts about the skyline. I love the 35mm grain myself, and I can certainly see the difference between the two mediums; as you say, it's all personal preference but I find that digital can look a bit too clinical sometimes; too perfect. There really is a certain mood/ambience/character that 35mm film gives, which I like.
I'm glad you agree :)
Me too. In the first shot I feel like I'm right IN the city. In the second one it's like I'm watching it trough a transparent glass.
By d_osborn
Raystantz Italy wrote:...In the second one it's like I'm watching it trough a transparent glass.
You do understand how camera lenses work, right? :love:

Speaking of GB cinematographers, GB16's Robert Yeoman made a fun list of the 20 most exciting cinematographers working today. GB16 is going to look fantastic. I say that as someone that prefers watching movies on celluloid. There are amazing things being done with completely digital workflows, though.

http://collider.com/best-cinematographe ... ford-young
Sav C, Alphagaia liked this
By Kingpin
Speaking from the perspective of one who gathers and dines on screenshots that can serve as reference material for props, costumes, sets, vehicles and locations, I much prefer the grainless look.

But I suppose it's a bit like people who prefer Times Square before it was cleaned up, even if it was a crime-ridden cesspool. :-|
Sav C, barison82, Alphagaia liked this
By Sav C
d_osborn wrote:Speaking of GB cinematographers, GB16's Robert Yeoman made a fun list of the 20 most exciting cinematographers working today. GB16 is going to look fantastic. I say that as someone that prefers watching movies on celluloid. There are amazing things being done with completely digital workflows, though.
It should look great. So far I've liked most of what I've seen by Robert Yeoman (judging by the featurette, he's definately made the Ecto look quite good.) :love:
Kingpin wrote:Speaking from the perspective of one who gathers and dines on screenshots that can serve as reference material for props, costumes, sets, vehicles and locations, I much prefer the grainless look.

But I suppose it's a bit like people who prefer Times Square before it was cleaned up, even if it was a crime-ridden cesspool. :-|
It's all subjective :) One thing I'll definitely give to the reboot is that even though it is digital, they shot it with a Spherical Lens and then cropped it. Even though when coupled with 35mm I absolutely love the look of Anamorphic Lens (it's my favorite,) they don't look that good compared to Spherical when paired with digital for some reason.
By featofstrength
Sav C wrote:
featofstrength wrote:I dunno, man...remember all the great Chicago shots from Blues Brothers 2000 and how they were superior to the original?
I haven't seen Blues Brothers 2000, or the first one for that matter. Do you have any screen grabs you could link to? Like I said, it's all personal preference, and the cinematography has to be good in the first place.
Nah...I think there's only one real shot of Chicago in the movie.

See Blues Brothers and how much of a character in itself a city can be to a movie ...then see Blues Brothers 2000. Amazeballs.
Kingpin wrote: But I suppose it's a bit like people who prefer Times Square before it was cleaned up, even if it was a crime-ridden cesspool. :-|
One of my fave facebook pages:
https://www.facebook.com/Dirty-Old-1970 ... 812558551/
It certainly was more interesting to say the least...before Mickey moved in and swept the trash over to the side. I wouldn't want to live there now, but I definitely wouldn't want to live there then.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
featofstrength wrote:Nah...I think there's only one real shot of Chicago in the movie.

See Blues Brothers and how much of a character in itself a city can be to a movie ...then see Blues Brothers 2000. Amazeballs.
I always get excited when people say that NYC is a character in a movie (it was said on the Ghostbusters II Featurette.) My family just purchased the first three Die Hard films, we haven't watched the third one yet, but in the booklet thing it says that NYC is a character so I'm looking forward to it.
featofstrength wrote:
Kingpin wrote: But I suppose it's a bit like people who prefer Times Square before it was cleaned up, even if it was a crime-ridden cesspool. :-|
One of my fave facebook pages:
https://www.facebook.com/Dirty-Old-1970 ... 812558551/
Go figure, photos like that are part of the reason I love the look of film stock so much. :love: It's nice to see the Twin Towers too, I miss them a lot.
featofstrength wrote:It certainly was more interesting to say the least...before Mickey moved in and swept the trash over to the side. I wouldn't want to live there now, but I definitely wouldn't want to live there then.
But yeah, I wouldn't have wanted to live there then.
By mrmichaelt
At 6:14 pm eastern on Cartoon Network, there was a new TV spot. New footage was of
By SpaceBallz
mrmichaelt wrote:At 6:14 pm eastern on Cartoon Network, there was a new TV spot. New footage was of
I knew it...I knew there was gonna be a fart joke. I felt it in my bones.

By mrmichaelt
Last I checked they're on Comic Book.com and Jo Blo's YTs but both have their watermarks. Ugh. Pet peeve.

Anyway, I liked seeing more of the first bust at the concert. Abby's line. heh.
Alphagaia liked this
By featofstrength
SpaceBallz wrote:
mrmichaelt wrote:At 6:14 pm eastern on Cartoon Network, there was a new TV spot. New footage was of
I knew it...I knew there was gonna be a fart joke. I felt it in my bones.

Yeeeeah...I already saw Rocksteady cup a fart in his hand and throw it in Bebop's face...I've hit my summertime fart joke quota.
SpaceBallz liked this
By JurorNo.2
It was the 80s, I just figure technology in general was heavier to lug around.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on June 17th, 2016, 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
By pyhasanon
I agree with MagicPrime on that one... there are some scenes in the trailers where it was on point, and some where it seems they're just whipping around plastic toys...
sgwmeredith, SpaceBallz liked this
By JurorNo.2
As far as toilet humor, yeah it's annoying, but I try not to be a snob about it. I know people who think GB84's humor is too immature; it's all about perspective.

I remember being concerned when there was a fart joke in the trailer for The Muppets (2011). But thankfully it was only that one joke, they got it out of their system and moved on. We'll see how this goes. Either way, I'm not going to single out GB16 for that. Hollywood movies in general aren't made for adults anymore (no matter how "gritty" and "realistic" the latest comic book movies laughably claim to be), they're made for younger audiences. If you want adult themes, find a halfway decent indie film. Either way, I'm not sure why GB16 is getting the lion's share of the blame.
By featofstrength
JurorNo.2 wrote:As far as toilet humor, yeah it's annoying, but I try not to be a snob about it. I know people who think GB84's humor is too immature; it's all about perspective.

I remember being concerned when there was a fart joke in the trailer for The Muppets (2011). But thankfully it was only that one joke, they got it out of their system and moved on. We'll see how this goes. Either way, I'm not going to single out GB16 for that. Hollywood movies in general aren't made for adults anymore (no matter how "gritty" and "realistic" the latest comic book movies laughably claim to be), they're made for younger audiences. If you want adult themes, find a halfway decent indie film. Either way, I'm not sure why GB16 is getting the lion's share of the blame.
When I saw BvS:DoJ, kid's in the audience got a big laugh out of Lex Luthor going pee-pee in a jar and trying to trick that mean lady into thinking it was lemonade!
By JurorNo.2
And anyway, I find it funny that so many fans online (not so much on this board, thankfully) are outraged by toilet humor, but then turn around and use the crudest language to "critique" this movie. I'm just going to leave this Harlan Ellison quote here:
"Don't you just hate it when some plucky little pustule summons up the sneaky strength to send you an anonymous call, and the best they can come up with is f*** you? If you're going to go at it, do try to heed H.L. Mencken's admonitions about the pallid nature of American cursing."
By featofstrength
JurorNo.2 wrote: ...but I try not to be a snob about it.
JurorNo.2 wrote:And anyway, I find it funny that so many fans online (not so much on this board, thankfully) are outraged by toilet humor, but then turn around and use the crudest language to "critique" this movie. I'm just going to leave this Harlan Ellison quote here:
"Don't you just hate it when some plucky little pustule summons up the sneaky strength to send you an anonymous call, and the best they can come up with is f*** you? If you're going to go at it, do try to heed H.L. Mencken's admonitions about the pallid nature of American cursing."

Oh, Harlan...yawn.
I'm just going to leave this Dana Gould quote here:

"Go to bed, old man!"

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2016030 ... f-swearing

Preview for #2 on DH's page. https://www.darkhors[…]

The_Y33TER , since the majority of the maker sc[…]

PKE Meter build project!

DO you have this files on sale?

There's some fun dialogue TV-edits, a replacement[…]