Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By Sav C
Alphagaia wrote:Nehhh, reboot or passing the torch would both allow for 4 female GB. Especially if they could have gotten Venkman back for choosing from the candidates.
I'm sorry to say this, but I never was really big on the passing of the torch idea, especially since it took only a few minutes for the originals to learn how to use the stuff and the golden rule "Don't cross the streams."
I actually like the idea of discovering how to catch ghosts and inventing the gadgets as they learn from each encounter: the subway scene looked fun and I laughed out loud at the jokes and banter in there.

It allows for more ghost catching, ghosts designs and I'm guessing getting slimed is going to be a running gag.

The original had Slimer and a montage and that was about it, so I'm at least looking forward to that.
Sav C liked this
Alphagaia wrote:
Regarding the art comparison: Someone said movies should be art and not have an political agenda (by helping females get more work). The avant garde used art to express their political views therefore art (and movies) can have an political agenda.
But Alphagaia I was under the impression the reboot had no political agenda. I mean that's what the other guys on here keep telling me? :roll:
SpaceBallz wrote:
You know, most of the things you say around here would make a lot more sense as far as Paul Feig being progressive goes...except that Paul Feig and Amy Pascal went with the all-female reboot without a script or a story FIRST. THEN after greenlighting it, they wrote the story. He was quoted as not wanting to do a direct sequel as "he wouldn't know what to do with it". Not a gimmick, you say? It was from day one.
That's the point I keep making. It's unfortunate and quite a cynical move.
SpaceBallz liked this
What I'm saying is that I have waited since June 16, 1989 for a Ghostbusters movie. And I'll take ANY Ghostbusters movie at this point, including this one.
This is where Im coming from too. Im tired of the Buffy's and the supernatural's I want proton packs and ghost traps. I want a new GB movie.
Ivo Shandor liked this
Whoops should have posted this here:

Can you imagine a reboot of Star Trek using all female actresses?

Female Kirk
Female Spock
Female Bones
Female Scotty
Female Uhura
Female Khan?

Or a female reboot of Star Wars?

Female Han Solo
Female Leia
Female Luke Skywalker
Female Chewbacca
Female C3PO
Female Darth Vader
Female Emperor?

Try to push your mind into thinking this happening seriously.

It would be nothing other than a parody... or weird female fetish fan film. It would simply be a joke.

The reason it would be -impossible- for that to happen to those franchises is that they are taken seriously. Too serious to become a socio-political marketing experiment.

The GB franchise isn't. It's seen as some old kids movie no-one remembers apart from a handful of old guys as part of their childhood. That's it. Sony felt it could parody it as it pleased.

This current backlash is raw evidence of them massively underestimating the global GB fandom and underestimating people outside of the fandom who simply see right through Sony and its blaming the panning of it's embarrassingly bad movie/trailer on misogyny.
HunterCC liked this
Excluding a gender has never been the intent. They did invert the 5 to 1 ratio in this movie.

I see no reason for gender to decide when something becomes a parody or not. In a movie with a bigger cast it would feel more forced though if you made them all one gender. GB16 does not do that either.
gold333 wrote:Whoops should have posted this here:

Female Kirk
Female Spock
Female Bones
Female Scotty
Female Uhura
Female Khan?

Female Han Solo
Female Leia
Female Luke Skywalker
Female Chewbacca
Female C3PO
Female Darth Vader
Female Emperor?
Dude...
By Lee FW
montclaire wrote:Gimmick

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/27/gh ... ry-clinton
From outside America this election is one of the most bizarre spectacles I've ever seen....the fact ghostbusters is now a part of the conversation is mind boggling. When Trump brought up women Ghostbusters in one of his bizarre rants months ago I was open mouthed in horrified disbelief (the prospect of that man getting any sort of power terrifies me)
Alphagaia liked this
featofstrength wrote:Unlicensed Snukelear Accelerators?
Can we just call the election off and give these two a sitcom?!
Lee FW, Sav C liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
featofstrength wrote:Unlicensed Snukelear Accelerators?
Can we just call the election off and give these two a sitcom?!
Only if Bernie gets to be the "wacky neighbor" that drops in and spouts catch phrases.
Slick Willy can fill the sex-crazed teen role.
Also featuring "the ghost of Socks the Cat" and his sage advice.

Man, "That's My Bush" was great.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By Scum
montclaire wrote:Gimmick

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/27/gh ... ry-clinton
"Don't politicize Ghostbusters" they said.

"There's no agenda attached to Ghostbusters 2016" they said.

"Politics have no place on this forum" they said.
SpaceBallz liked this

Female Kirk
Female Spock
Female Bones
Female Scotty
Female Uhura
Female Khan?

Female Han Solo
Female Leia
Female Luke Skywalker
Female Chewbacca
Female C3PO
Female Darth Vader
Female Emperor?

It would be nothing other than a parody... or weird female fetish fan film. It would simply be a joke.

The reason it would be -impossible- for that to happen to those franchises is that they are taken seriously. Too serious to become a socio-political marketing experiment.

The GB franchise isn't. It's seen as some old kids movie no-one remembers apart from a handful of old guys as part of their childhood. That's it. Sony felt it could parody it as it pleased.

This current backlash is raw evidence of them massively underestimating the global GB fandom and underestimating people outside of the fandom who simply see right through Sony and its blaming the panning of it's embarrassingly bad movie/trailer on misogyny.

Erm, Katherine Janeway? (who in my opinion was one of the best Star Trek captains there is - and also became Admiral Janeway) I seem to remember that character got some stick for being a female Star trek captain. Yet Star Trek was one of the most progressive franchises there is (and Im not even a Trekkie)
By J10kmn

Female Kirk
Female Spock
Female Bones
Female Scotty
Female Uhura
Female Khan?

Female Han Solo
Female Leia
Female Luke Skywalker
Female Chewbacca
Female C3PO
Female Darth Vader
Female Emperor?

The thing with your example is that this movie isn't just gender swapped versions of previously established characters aka:
Female Peter Venkman
Female Egon Spengler
Female Winson Zeddemore
Female Ray Stantz

They are different characters entirely, who arguably fill similar archetypes. Female Spock does sound absurd because that character is already established as being male, but a female Science Officer who fills the same role (possibly Vulcan, T'Pol) not so much. If Melissa McCarthy was playing Ray Stantz, the female paranormal scientist, then yes it would be a parody. So, using that logic a primarily female led cast of a Star Wars or Star Trek reboot doesn't sound so far fetched considering they would be different characters performing a similar (reboot) plot.

The big difference is that while those franchise have chosen to be more diverse with their leads with recent entries, they have opted to continue continuities on one way or another. The female cast isn't the issue (and shouldn't be). The continuity is what puts this movie in a bad light.
lozbloke, Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
By Scum
featofstrength wrote:Deleted with some clarification:
http://dailycaller.com/2016/07/29/sony- ... her-tweet/

Watch out! Glass ceiling!
The more i watch that video, the more creepy it gets!
pferreira1983 liked this

If you need any clarification at all, PM me or […]

Proton Props UK

Good decision to lift the ban! By the way: I think[…]

I'd use some putty. Yeah. I'm sorry, I'm not […]

Or if you bought the access pack you get them inst[…]